• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Super Sniper or Nikon Monarch

slabsides52

Minuteman
Apr 17, 2008
South Carolina
Over the years, I have had very good results with Nikon Monarch scopes, and am now looking for a scope for a heavy barrel .308. Maximum shooting range will probably be 300 yds.
I have looked at the Super Sniper 10X, side focus, for $400, and can get a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 X 43 with Mil-Dot reticle for about the same price. Is the Super Sniper worth giving up the variable power?
Thanks.

Re: Super Sniper or Nikon Monarch

I'd like to hear some hear some thoughts too. I'd throw in a bushnell elite 4200-6500 into the mix to.

Why change something that is working for you? Consistency is the name of the game. I prefer to shoot with the lowest power possible.

If the range isn't going to be that great, the Monarch will work fine. They have excellent glass, but very limited adjustments, same with the Bushnell 4200 series, good glass, limited adjustments.
The SS has the benfit of more adjustment, but the single power is a limiting factor, IF however, it is a ramge gun and not to be used for hunting, it would also work fine.

I think 10x is about perfect for youre situation. Do you think that you will ever use the scope on 2.5x? You almost never hear anyone complain about the 10x SWFA SS. I have always liked Bushnell for their scopes. I haved owned a trophy, banner, and currently have an Elite 3200 5-15x. I love it, but wish it had target knobs. Have you considered <span style="font-weight: bold">this</span> scope?

I'm not totally convinced the side focus is a real benefit. Most of my SSs have rear focus and it'll save you another 100 bucks.

I'm with you on that. It makes the scope wider and is more prone to getting damaged or rotated unintentionally. It does make the scope more expensive to mfg hence the higher price. The rear parallax scopes are unique and much more robust due to the location of the dial and the lens adjusting for parallax.

If you are only shooting a 300 yd max, stick with the Monarch. The Super Sniper is a great scope, but for a your application, I would go with the variable. Just my opinion. Either way I think you will be happy. Both are great scopes.