• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes SWFA 10x42HD turret free play

shaneinhisroom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys,

After reading endless reviews of scopes, I decided to go with an SWFA 10x42HD. It seemed to me like the best bang for the buck for my applications and upon receiving it I was immediately impressed by the build quality and the heft of the scope. After messing around with it a little bit, I noticed that the elevation knob has a little bit of free play...probably .03-.05mrad free play. I've tried searching but couldn't find an acceptable answer so I decide to ask the owners of this scope directly.

Can anyone tell me if this is either normal, or if there's a way to tighten the movement? If anyone has this issue (it's not present nearly as much on the windage knob), does that little movement affect POA? If not, I wouldn't even need/want to send it back.

Thanks!

Re: SWFA 10x42HD turret free play

I've got one in the mail that I purchased here on the hide. I will let you know how mine looks/feel when it arrives...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SyPKYAq4gkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SyPKYAq4gkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I also have a SS HD and there is a tiny bit of play in both my knobs. I have yet to get it mounted as my xlr chassis is on it way but I really doubt that it will affect anything. It seems to me like the play is in the knobs and isn't moving the reticle.

My rifle should be complete sometime next week and I hope to get to the range next weekend. I plan on establishing a zero and box testing the scope so while I'm at it I'll see if the play moves the reticle. Edit to add. This might be a little tricky as I'm not nearly a good enought rifleman to be able to establish the minute amount of movbement that the reticle <span style="font-style: italic">might </span> be moving.

You should do the same and let us know.

Like I said, I really doubt that this is going to have any affect on the reticle. So far I'm very happy with my purchase as the SS HD is built like a tank and the glass is really nice. I do not want to start a this vs. that battle here but I do believe that these scopes compete with much more expensive scopes in regards to build quality, turrets, and glass. If only the reticle was more in line with the leupold TMR or dare I say the Valdada MP-8, these scopes would be an absolute game changer.

Fokai_Zack, not to be a dick but that vid is of the old Super snipers, totally irrelvant. From what I understand the older models and the newer SS 10x HD or 3x9 FFP models are two totally different animals. I don't even think that they are made in the same factory and this line is now owned by SWFA, not tasco like the older models.

Also to the op, did you contact SWFA? They have fantastic custom service and if there is a problem no one would want it fixed more than SWFA, not even you. It seems like they really want to establish this line as a great alternative to the upper class scopes in the market without giving up much, if any, performance.

Jeo thanks for the response! I did contact Josh over at SWFA but I presume they don't work over the weekends. I'll chime in when they reply back. The scope is mounted and I will be zeroing and box testing today as well. I have high hopes!

Edit: The non HD version and this are made in two factories. The HD has a "Made in Japan" on the bottom.

The turrets of the older version and the HD version are completely different. The video shows issues with the older ones.

I ran into a problem with the elevation turret on my 10x42hd as well. SWFA was very easy to deal with to get an rma number and get the scope exchanged. I had a similar problem to yours at first, and eventually The turret wiggled loose from the actual scope tube. It happens every once in a while no matter who the maker is, and swfa made it right with no hassle.