• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing T JENSEN 22-250AI VARMINTER

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Mr. T,

Here we go bossman. It's begun!

Enjoy,

C.

Primary inlet:

DSC_0009.jpg

Scuffing the showline edge for the setup piece:

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Fixturing:

DSC_0016.jpg

Indicating the stock straight:

DSC_0017.jpg

Locate the center positions:

DSC_0018.jpg

1st op: Breaking the showline edge with a special endmill that won't chip the glass/gel coat

DSC_0019.jpg

Re: T JENSEN 22-250AI VARMINTER

Barrel channel is almost done. There were quite a few holes/fissures in the channel so instead of having to fix on the bench, I mixed up some "blue magic" (bondo) and filled them here.

Now just running the channel program over to make it nice and clean again. Saves sandpaper and goes much quicker. Also looks really nice once its all done.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Brux 1-8, It's always good to see the in process. Just seems like yesterday I dropped that stuff off, Wow.

Here's where were at Tom:

Top side inlet is completed and I just finished installing the Stiller DBM. I have another thread started on that piece. Russ at Stiller was kind enough to help me out with generating code for the install. Nice that a vendor will actually SUPPORT his product instead of posting a stupid PDF pic on their site with no dimensions and no assurance it'll print out to scale.

What a novel concept. . .

Ok, OCD rant over, here's the pics:

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

About to start on the trial assembly. Soon as that's over it's Kalli's baby to paint!

Progress is nice.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    DSC_0005.jpg

</div></div>

Chad,
    I have noticed you have used a few different crowns over your builds. This one looks flat, most others have been a recessed crown. Any reason behind this or is this barrel not crowned yet? Thanks again for all the build threads, I enjoy them.

We use two crown styles:

Hunter which is recessed and a true Tgt crown (no recess)

ALL of our crowns are 11*. No exceptions. 11* means from bore's edge to the barrel periphery and/or to the counterbore ring. There's no chamfer at the bore. It's sharp enough to cut the snot out of you if your not careful.

That's it. Anything else isn't our work.

In many of our photos the barrel hasn't been crowned yet. We typically save that portion of the work until after the gun is bedded, barrel's been engraved, etc. Just too easy to have an oops and have to do it over.

Generally, we crown right before final finishing of the barrel.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We use two crown styles:

Hunter which is recessed and a true Tgt crown (no recess)

ALL of our crowns are 11*. No exceptions. 11* means from bore's edge to the barrel periphery and/or to the counterbore ring. There's no chamfer at the bore. It's sharp enough to cut the snot out of you if your not careful.

That's it. Anything else isn't our work.

In many of our photos the barrel hasn't been crowned yet. We typically save that portion of the work until after the gun is bedded, barrel's been engraved, etc. Just too easy to have an oops and have to do it over.

Generally, we crown right before final finishing of the barrel.

C. </div></div>

Very interesting, why do you not chamfer at the bore? I have had many other gunsmiths do it that way, not saying one is better, I just want more info from the people in the know. I have always thought that a slight chamfer would be less likely to be damaged during cleaning, or use for that matter. In my mind its kinda like a knife edge its easier to roll a "surgical" edge than a slightly more relaxed "working" edge, there for the working edge is more prone to hold an edge longer. Do you find a edge in accuracy to a nonchamfered crown over a chamfered one? Thanks in advance for the info, Im a sponge looking to suck up as much knowledge as I can.

Base color going on now Tom.

DSC_0014-1.jpg

As for crowns, I look at it like this:

Guns like this aren't cheap to buy, build, or own. They require an elevated skill set to maintain. If you clean guns like a bunch of "Lance Criminals" with multi piece cleaning rods and the mindset of "just get it over with" then maybe consider an alternative.

Everytime you stick anything down a barrel in the effort to clean it, you run the risk of damaging something. It's why I advocate to every customer to NOT clean their bore until they see a change in performance. That can mean anything, accuracy, pressure signs, whatever. If it's not broke, don't try and fix it.

How this applies to a crown. If 11* truly is the "magical answer" as advocated by so many bench rest and target shooters, then in my mind (and a few others) a 45* chamfer at the bore completely defeats the purpose.

I personally think a crown just needs to be cleanly machined and at a uniform breakaway angle. If it's at 90* just buzz it and be done. No need to indicate a thing. Square is square whether there's .00005" TIR or .100" TIR.

Alter by even 1* though and the bore should really be dialed in.

This is assuming we all single point a crown. Many just use a piloted crowning tool. I personally don't like them. Again, every time you stuff something inside a barrel, you risk damaging it.

We all learn from different mentors. There's a lot of ways to peel the skin from a cat. Proof is in the paper down range so if your gun shoots and you crowned it with a hacksaw then by all means, leave it alone. If nothing else, you'll be the source for great conversation!
    smile.gif

I like razor sharp crowns. I tell clients to either remove the jap upon exit or to carefully guide it back in the bore with their hand. Never just "yank and hope for the best."

Hope this helped.

C.

That is exactly what I was looking for, kinda what I thought you might say I just dont like to assume anything. It makes perfect sence to me, THANK YOU for taking the time to break it down for me...Im not the smartest! Sorry to hijack the thread, back on topic of a fine 22-250 build.

Back onto this bad boy now.

Metal work is 100%. Just waiting for Kalli to finish up the stock paint.

So far she's lookin perty dern good. I really like our "prairie sage" color pattern the best.

Metalwork:

DSC_0018-1.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Stock:

DSC_0010-2.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

We'll have this wrapped up tonight Tom. She's laying up the final color right now.

See ya' Friday!

C.

Looks awesome Chad. Looking forward to sending the longrange dogs to the otherside with this baby. I love the looks of the paint, as usual I'm sure it will be better in person. See you Friday!

Another kick ass build, that color scheme put its over the top.

very nice chad, looking awesome. i always love your in progress pics

She's shooting like a demon so far. Really have a good FF load shoots Avg. 3326 fps with 80 gr Bergers into .57 at 200 yds(3-3 shot slow fire Avg.).Largest with the FF load record group was .73 CC, smallest was incredible .410 CC, at 200 yds. It's nice to have a completely serviceable FF load in a rifle like this so you are not just burning up the tube making brass. I'm still working on the A.I. case load as she seems to be telling me that it wants a slower powder than the FF load. I'll fire off some pics as I get closer to settling on a AI case load for this. Super nice rifle Chad. Great fit and finish, I couldn't be happier!

Winddoper,

Give some H1000 a try if you want to run a slow powder. I've had excellent luck with it in both the 22-250 AI and 22-243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Guns like this aren't cheap to buy, build, or own. They require an elevated skill set to maintain. If you clean guns like a bunch of "Lance Criminals" with multi piece cleaning rods and the mindset of "just get it over with" then maybe consider an alternative.

C.</div></div>

Awww, but I like my 3 peice cleaning rods.
    frown.gif

Awesome post Chad. thanks to you I don't need HBO on my cable bill anymore

DSC_0010-2.jpg

</div></div>

Well I thought about getting some work done, but then I saw that sweatshirt.
    whistle.gif

GO GREEN!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    DSC_0010-2.jpg

</div></div>

Well I thought about getting some work done, but then I saw that sweatshirt.
    whistle.gif

GO GREEN! </div></div>

I was thinking she’d look really nice in a maroon and white Texas A&M Aggie’s sweatshirt!

Looking forward to seeing my Tikka build in the near future!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: geraldsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Incredible work... </div></div>

I get to see it first hand every once in a while.
    Like today
    smile.gif

Chad I was surprised when I first saw your crown choice. It <span style="font-style: italic">looked</span> square.
    I figured it'd be some complicated multi-angled design.

Our crowns are never square Keith.

Everything we do is a true 11* included angle crown. That means 5.5* draft per side. Some seem to think 11* means 11* per side (which is actually 22*)

If we did it, it's 11*. No exceptions.

C.

Yea sorry about that I just edited. I thought you said they were square.
    But it must have been 5.5 per side.

Ever seen anything to show a 45 degree angle is bad? They shoot great and seem less susceptible to damage. Especially cleaning damage like mentioned.

DSC_0021.jpg

</div></div>

Benchrest use it wouldn't matter, but a clumsy field guy might drop his muzzle to the dirt.

Do you think there's a less vulnerable design? Or not worried about it?

In 12+ years of fitting together guns I've never had a customer return a rifle to be crowned over due to neglect, misuse, accident, or any other reason.

We certainly recrown barrels when threading them for a new can, brake, what have you. I'm not saying that.

What I mean is not once has anyone ever said "hey dude, I phukked this up cleaning/shooting/hunting/killin, whatever".

I advise that our crowns are sharp and that one needs to be careful when cleaning/using.

As far as accuracy goes. I want it sharp. I don't want 45* chamfers because in my mind that destroys the intent of an 11* crown. If it's chamfered, it's NOT 11* and if a guy advertises it that way he's not being truthful to his clients. Whether or not one shoots better/worse I don't know. I've never done anything else but an 11*. It's not broke so I'm not out to try and fix it.

I do know the US Army devoted considerable time/effort researching this back in the 1950's. For whatever reason they advised that they found the 11* crown to work best.

I've stated all this several times on this site. It's just regurgitation of old news at this point.

C.