• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tempest Builds..Lets See em

It is scary how stupid slick and smooth these actions are.......they definitely spoil you.

Agreed I’ve not felt a nitrided one yet but DLCd with some break free it is the smoothest I’ve felt. I do wish i had gone 26” on the barrel length. If i had 130gr Norma’s at 2900 with a .295 G7 it would be hard to argue with.

Part of me wants to move to 25x47 with the 131gr ace but the Norma are 28 cents a round and really hard to argue with with the way this gun shoots them. Will be going with more freebore next time for sure.

Agreed I’ve not felt a nitrided one yet but DLCd with some break free it is the smoothest I’ve felt. I do wish i had gone 26” on the barrel length. If i had 130gr Norma’s at 2900 with a .295 G7 it would be hard to argue with.

Part of me wants to move to 25x47 with the 131gr ace but the Norma are 28 cents a round and really hard to argue with with the way this gun shoots them. Will be going with more freebore next time for sure.

Both of mine are nitrided and out of the box were extremely smooth. Can't wait to see what they are like when they get some use and cycles on them.

Both of mine are nitrided and out of the box were extremely smooth. Can't wait to see what they are like when they get some use and cycles on them.

Mine was bare when I got it, and I had it cerakoted. After a year, I had it stripped and nitrided. It's now got over 7500 rounds of live fire on it, and I can push the bolt forward (including feeding a round of 6 Creedmoor) with a flick of my index finger. I seriously don't get the people that hate on the Tempest, I love mine. I wish George would do a LA version so I could use it to build a 300PRC.

I handled a Christensen Ridgeline recently and not knocking them at all, I know its a cheaper option factory offering from them and should not be compared to a custom action that costs a few hundred less than the whole rifle but the action felt like metal rubbing on sandpaper compared to the Tempest.

Mine was bare when I got it, and I had it cerakoted. After a year, I had it stripped and nitrided. It's now got over 7500 rounds of live fire on it, and I can push the bolt forward (including feeding a round of 6 Creedmoor) with a flick of my index finger. I seriously don't get the people that hate on the Tempest, I love mine. I wish George would do a LA version so I could use it to build a 300PRC.
I'd buy a long action tempest in a heartbeat if they were available.

Reactions: jb41291
I'd buy a long action tempest in a heartbeat if they were available.

I know there's a few others that would bite (and left-handed, too), but I doubt there's enough demand for it to justify production. The Tempest was really built as a competition action, and not enough people run LAs in PRS. I'd still love to have one, though...

I know there's a few others that would bite (and left-handed, too), but I doubt there's enough demand for it to justify production. The Tempest was really built as a competition action, and not enough people run LAs in PRS. I'd still love to have one, though...
Ah I can dream though. Looks like I'll settle for a lone peak then. I'd best get an order in for a LA PRS2 stock considering their lead time to Aus. The 6 years it takes might even align with 300PRC brass making it to our shores as well.

Where can you get these now? My cousin is looking to build a custom after shooting this weekend and was curious about the tempest but hell is it only through GAP now?

Where can you get these now? My cousin is looking to build a custom after shooting this weekend and was curious about the tempest but hell is it only through GAP now?

Seems that way. Nobody really seems to carry them as a bare action any more.

That's a damn shame. I don't see much of GAP using it either honestly.

I know Sikes still runs one, so does Tom, and I think George has his in rotation depending on what rifle he feels like shooting. I'm on the sister team to GAP, and I am running one, obviously. I've got a few friends that run them, too, but none of them are affiliated with GAP.

Reactions: 5RWill
I played with it briefly at Lonestar last year when he and I were squadded together. It's interesting, but not my style. I actually prefer the swept AI-style handle.
Ah ok. After seeing a pic of it I always wondered how it would run, especially compared to a Curtis. I'm also a fan of the swept handle. All that's supposedly missing from the tempest action is a quick release barrel change system, but I'd prefer to just have more guns than the quick change system. Cheers for the info mate

Ah ok. After seeing a pic of it I always wondered how it would run, especially compared to a Curtis. I'm also a fan of the swept handle. All that's supposedly missing from the tempest action is a quick release barrel change system, but I'd prefer to just have more guns than the quick change system. Cheers for the info mate

I just have George's guys shoulder up barrels for me. I have a barrel vice and Tempest action wrench, and can swap barrels in a few minutes.

Reactions: Simia Dei
Still completely partial to the swept but figured you guys might wanna see it. I bet George is offering it in some form or fashion. Hell he's done three or four of them now. I think Sikes, his two rifles, and then Dan Hanson also has a straight handle.

Does anyone know what stock/color George is using in the above video? I like the color combination...it seems to be different colors than the GAP Cammo.
I am selling my 6.5-284 and looking at doing a custom 6.5-284 or 6.5PRC. I currently run Templar action and love it. Just not sure about the Tempest. I checked into Defiance and they are limited in the bottom metal that will work with the XM length.

Has anyone here had much experience with running a 6BR/BRA in the tempest with AW mags?

I know at least one guy that's done it. There's mag kits for the AW out there, too, if you run into issues.
Cheers mate, I'm wondering if it's worth getting a kit or trying to get the new MDT mags to run. I'm assuming they won't work compared to an AW with a kit, plus, I'd rather have the AW mags. The reason for my question is that I'm looking at an easily tunable calibre to plink with that's not going to take too much time or cash

In 6mm Creedmoor
MTU
Timney Calvin Elite
Manners
GAP Build

Attachments

• B39A8F73-859B-4B15-B8B0-9BD16F76B855.jpeg
    B39A8F73-859B-4B15-B8B0-9BD16F76B855.jpeg
    739.7 KB · Views: 226
  • B722F6D8-2BCA-43EE-ADC2-A9E208D82395.jpeg
    B722F6D8-2BCA-43EE-ADC2-A9E208D82395.jpeg
    909 KB · Views: 238
  • AA03AE04-D791-430A-89CD-CF16EA2A377F.jpeg
    AA03AE04-D791-430A-89CD-CF16EA2A377F.jpeg
    852.6 KB · Views: 236
Cheers mate, I'm wondering if it's worth getting a kit or trying to get the new MDT mags to run. I'm assuming they won't work compared to an AW with a kit, plus, I'd rather have the AW mags. The reason for my question is that I'm looking at an easily tunable calibre to plink with that's not going to take too much time or cash

Take a gander at 6xc. Super easy to load, can be loaded to br speeds for the same recoil or loaded a little hotter for low 3000fps. No mag kits needes. Norma brass is about $80 per 100 and peterson is like $62 per 100. Norma is the better and still cheaper than br.

My next tube will be a XC with 110smks shooting about 2900. You don't really lose anything at this speed but should gain barrel and brass life.

Take a gander at 6xc. Super easy to load, can be loaded to br speeds for the same recoil or loaded a little hotter for low 3000fps. No mag kits needes. Norma brass is about $80 per 100 and peterson is like $62 per 100. Norma is the better and still cheaper than br.

My next tube will be a XC with 110smks shooting about 2900. You don't really lose anything at this speed but should gain barrel and brass life.

Thanks mate, I'll take a look at it. What barrel length and powder are you going to run to chase those velocities?

Thanks mate, I'll take a look at it. What barrel length and powder are you going to run to chase those velocities?

The two i build for other people were 26 and 28" and they werent pushing hard to get those speeds. Im planning to run suppressed to im going to go 24 or maybe even 22". My goal is 2900 with a 110 which im certain is attainable with 24". 22 is iffy lol.

I've never been able to get an AICS mag to run with a Tempest for standard BF cases - the feed lips stop the bolt. You'll want the AW mags and possibly an AW BR kit.

I've never been able to get an AICS mag to run with a Tempest for standard BF cases - the feed lips stop the bolt. You'll want the AW mags and possibly an AW BR kit.

I've never run my tempest in a match with AICS mags (why would you?) but I did run it hard this past weekend with AICS mags to test them for a buddy without a hiccup.

Not extensive research but it did run. With the receiver cut for AW mags though I can almost guarantee it will have issues if any pressure is put on the bottom of the mag jamming it into the receiver...something I regret not testing.

In any case there is no reason not to get AW mags. In my opinion they have more advantages than any disadvantage.

I've never run my tempest in a match with AICS mags (why would you?) but I did run it hard this past weekend with AICS mags to test them for a buddy without a hiccup.

Not extensive research but it did run. With the receiver cut for AW mags though I can almost guarantee it will have issues if any pressure is put on the bottom of the mag jamming it into the receiver...something I regret not testing.

In any case there is no reason not to get AW mags. In my opinion they have more advantages than any disadvantage.

The last time I tried it, I couldn't get an AICS mag to allow the bolt to pass at all on anything other than an Alpha SAUM mag that GAP had trimmed the feed lips on. That could be in part due to my chassis, and the mag catch being set up for AWs, though.

The last time I tried it, I couldn't get an AICS mag to allow the bolt to pass at all on anything other than an Alpha SAUM mag that GAP had trimmed the feed lips on. That could be in part due to my chassis, and the mag catch being set up for AWs, though.

Very possible. I'm running an unmodified KRG Whiskey 3 G6. bought a spare longer mag latch expecting to have to trim one but the stock worked fine with AW mags.

guess its a YMMV situation.

Thanks for the info fellas. I couldn't get a straight AICS mag to feed in either of my rifles.

One other silly question I have is: Is there any issues feeding short magnum cartridges from AW mags in the tempest?

Thanks for the info fellas. I couldn't get a straight AICS mag to feed in either of my rifles.

One other silly question I have is: Is there any issues feeding short magnum cartridges from AW mags in the tempest?

I tried that, and SAUM popped out of AWs if you looked at them funny. You'll want to call GAP and buy Alpha mags cut for the Tempest.

I tried that, and SAUM popped out of AWs if you looked at them funny. You'll want to call GAP and buy Alpha mags cut for the Tempest.
I should probably just quit while I'm ahead and build another rifle. Will the accurate mag WSM mags work? Or same issues as the AICS with the tempest?

I should probably just quit while I'm ahead and build another rifle. Will the accurate mag WSM mags work? Or same issues as the AICS with the tempest?

Accurate 3 and 7rd WSM mags will work with the Tempest, but require material removed from the lips (about .030") and slightly bent down-- Tempests and other 3/6 lug designs will often run them fine until you force the mag upwards (when using support bags on barricades for example). The Alpha 7 and 10rd mags we ordered require no additional modification--we ordered them to our specs.

Not sure, as I've only used the Alpha mags from GAP. I wanted 10rd mags, so those were the simplest option.
Accurate 3 and 7rd WSM mags will work with the Tempest, but require material removed from the lips (about .030") and slightly bent down-- Tempests and other 3/6 lug designs will often run them fine until you force the mag upwards (when using support bags on barricades for example). The Alpha 7 and 10rd mags we ordered require no additional modification--we ordered them to our specs.

Thanks for the info gents, Ken, can I order them from your site and have them sent to Aus? Or am I better off going through one of your importers here?

Can anyone who's running a Jewell HVR tell me what hanger they're using? My rifles have the same trigger but different hangers.

Pretty sure I’m running a .010
Ah. Mine are labelled 20 and 20T (?). Of note is that the build with the 20 hanger is significantly more “clunky” to operate. I thought it would have smoothed out by now considering the amount of cycles and rounds fired its had

Ah. Mine are labelled 20 and 20T (?). Of note is that the build with the 20 hanger is significantly more “clunky” to operate. I thought it would have smoothed out by now considering the amount of cycles and rounds fired its had
Just checked, mine’s a .010.
Have you measured the amount of cocking youre getting? Measure the difference in protrusion between the cocked and fired pin. Mine protrudes .015 in the fired position, and .190 cocked, so I have .175. Runs like a dream. Love it.

One other thing. I believe the .020 was the shortest the action shipped with. I had to order the .010 direct from Gap. In fact I built two rifles side by side, both with HVR’s, and both used the .010’s.

Just checked, mine’s a .010.
Have you measured the amount of cocking youre getting? Measure the difference in protrusion between the cocked and fired pin. Mine protrudes .015 in the fired position, and .190 cocked, so I have .175. Runs like a dream. Love it.

One other thing. I believe the .020 was the shortest the action shipped with. I had to order the .010 direct from Gap. In fact I built two rifles side by side, both with HVR’s, and both used the .010’s.

Thanks for taking a look mate and thanks for the info. I’ll measure them tonight when I head back out. I can shoot GA Precision and email and see if they’ll send some over this side. Worst case is that I just keep running these as they are. I have 2x of the 0.030s as well

What Hollywood said. I’ll add that given a choice, I don’t know why would would want to do that. AW mags are way better than AICS.

Maybe someone that just got a Tempest and has a pile of AICS mags, or someone that wants to run mag extensions. The first one I can understand, the second one I say go bug MDT for 12-14rd AWs, or get good at mag changes.

Maybe someone that just got a Tempest and has a pile of AICS mags, or someone that wants to run mag extensions. The first one I can understand, the second one I say go bug MDT for 12-14rd AWs, or get good at mag changes.
10 rds in the same footprint of a 5 rd AICS is pretty nice. I also think there’s little comparison in feeding. AW’s are way ahead.

10 rds in the same footprint of a 5 rd AICS is pretty nice. I also think there’s little comparison in feeding. AW’s are way ahead.

No argument here, that's for sure. I keeping pinging MDT every now and then about longer AW format mags, and maybe even making them where you could run extensions. Last I heard, they were at least looking into it.