• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Templar or Surgeon

crocker84

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Midwest
If you had the option of a templar or a 591 which would you choose and why? Is there really any advantage to the integrated lug and rail on the Surgeon. Or is it better to be able to replace these parts? I think both look like great options and I am having a hard time deciding.

Re: Templar or Surgeon

I believe the templar is longer than the others if I'm not mistaken. I love my 591 but have NEVER heard anything bad from GAP

I have had both and prefer the templar. The m-16 extractor is a huge plus and it is the smoothest action i have ever cycled!

KC Shooter. Yall got any long ranges out your way. I'm in the area for a little while. And brought my SURGEON .260. Wouldn't mind trying these high winds out. Any help is appreciated

I've got several of each and like them both.

Great USA made products..

I have a Surgeon 591 and have an upcoming build using a Roscoe signature Defiance machine action (they make the Templar and APA's action). I would say either...that should help your decision!
grin.gif

Both are great options. I recently ordered an action from Defiance, which is essentially a templar. I went with it because of the guardian mag well(AW mags). I don't think you can go wrong with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the templar is longer than the others if I'm not mistaken. I love my 591 but have NEVER heard anything bad from GAP </div></div>

Correct, the barrel tenon is longer on the Templar action (short action atleast)
by about .300 of an inch.

Not sure about the Surgeon accepting AW mags but the new Gen.Templars do.

I have had both, I really liked the Surgeon, but slightly prefer the Templar(made by Defiance). It is hard to beat anything that has Gap on it!

The biggest advantage I see to the surgeon is the switch barrel capability and the fixed 30moa rail is pretty cool.

My Gap 338 Lapua Templar is the most accurate( 1/4-3/8moa) , smooth handling rifle I have ever fired. I do like the fact that the templar allows you to put longer bases and different moa bases on it, that is a plus to me(I prefer a 40 moa base and while Gap does not have one there are companies that will make whatever you want.)

For my needs the Templar is a better action but both are outstanding actions and you cannot go wrong with either.(BTW both are Remington based actions which is huge when it comes to getting stocks and parts.)

I think the 591 is heavier as well. Maybe a pound? Seems awful heavy but that is what I seem to remember when I talked to GAP this year.

I've both as well and prefer the surgeon. As with everything made everyone has different preferences. Both are top notch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seven mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As with everything made everyone has different preferences. Both are top notch. </div></div>Definitely.
laugh.gif

That's the bottom line, though. Either one is great. You will not go wrong either way.

I like the Surgeon action a lot. But I am a GAP snob. I will always prefer the Templar 2 if I can get it.

Never cycled a surgeon, but I can tell you my templar is smooth as glass. It is a very nice, well built action. Can't go wrong with one.

Thanks for all the great feedback, guys. I have been doing a lot of research before I pull the trigger on a new rifle. I live in Mid-Missouri and I have not had the opportunity to look at a Surgeon up close. There doesn't seem to be many people with tac rigs around here. I have lurked for about 2 years here, and I have learned a lot without saying much.

Had a Surgeon, buddy had a Templar. Both solid choices. I really like the integrated rail of the Surgeon, and I liked how smooth the Templar was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crocker84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in Mid-Missouri and I have not had the opportunity to look at a Surgeon up close. There doesn't seem to be many people with tac rigs around here.</div></div>
I am betting if you take a trip down to Swift Street in North Kansas City, MO you would have all the info you need to make a decision.

GM

Oh, I've been down to see George, I used to live just north of the river. My wife couldn't believe the checkbook made it out alive!

I have a 591 and if the Templar close to the same quality, I can't imagine being able to tell one being better than the other. I was told by a friend that Terry Cross says the 591 is a three generation action. Sounds like if one is better than the other, our great, grand children will be the ones to see the difference.

It does sound like plenty of good enough reason to get another build going cause a guy just needs to find out that kind of thing first hand. Or at least have a good enough excuse to get another boomer.
smile.gif