• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Fix from Q

One more suggested tweak for the V2 (other than straight pull boltšŸ˜).....some accommodation for thermal scopes with a PVS14 eyepiece and limited eye relief.....think Trijicon and N-vision. My Trijicon Reap is very functional, but if I could gain 1/2-1ā€ of eye relief it would be perfect. Not sure if this is possible given the bolt travel back to the adjustable comb does not give any variance. An extended picatinny rail over the bolt shroud would probably require a higher rail height. Not sure the solution but it would sure make this platform a desirable choice amongst night hunters using dedicated US made thermal scopes and not clip ons on a bolt rifle.

View attachment 7601284
You need a company to produce a mount that fits the scope to the rifle rather the rifle to the scope.

itā€™s a shame the scope isnā€™t popular in Europe. There are several companies producing mounts for Pard NV008 scopes which suffer the same issues.

Reactions: Sjc141
Have you chron'd the 143s from your 17.5 or a 16" barrel?

Someone chrono'd the 120gr Match Hornadys through my 16" barrel at 2556. I'm trying to work a ballistic profile for the 143 ELD-X. Also, do people think the .311 G7 BC is realistic for that bullet, or is it a little lower?
.303 is what lines up best for me in trasol.
The 22" Bartlein sends 143's at 2720. 16" proof cf gets about 2530 from the same load iirc.

Reactions: Gotlag1789
You need a company to produce a mount that fits the scope to the rifle rather the rifle to the scope.

itā€™s a shame the scope isnā€™t popular in Europe. There are several companies producing mounts for Pard NV008 scopes which suffer the same issues.
Bobro makes one. But it really is not a big enough issue for me to spend the money to swap it out. Plus they are a little scarce these days. In the field when I am hunting I donā€™t really notice it. Mainly at the range when plinking. But may swap it out next season if they become readily available again.

Fix 16ā€ with trash panda 10ā€™ in front hornady 143eldx precision hunter av 2440 ft sec high of 2510fps

I thought I would share my initial results with The Fix and 16" proof 6.5 barrel shooting 123 SST. I love this rifle! Bolt is tough pulling up after a round but that would be my only gripe if I had one.
My chrony messed up on me as the day went dealing with some sunlight but I did get some velocities. I will verify all this next weekend with my Magneto (It needed some work done to work with my Omega).

BL-C(2) seemed to be the powder of choice overall. Very consistent grouping with 3 shot groups for load development with #3 being the exception and I'm sure my issue. Velocity was low on #1 at 2515, #2 moved up to 2620, #3 2660, #4 2732. I'm very happy at #4

This was a 4 shot group using H4350. The 4th shot was all me and not the gun. Load weight was light and averaged 2634. As I moved up in charge the groups opened up but all stayed under 1". Most all this was due to me as I was fatigued at that point in the day. I will need to repeat some of this.

My initial impression of The Fix is pretty high. There is a lot to love about this rifle and I see it getting a lot of use over the next few years. I'm still dialing down on load development. Hopefully, I will have it finalized this weekend and get to rolling some ammo up for my annual exotic hunt!

7 shots through one hole @ 100 yards. Wrap it up and go home because it's not going to get much better than that :)

This is a 6.5 Proof Research barrel. It seems to be getting better the more I shoot it.

20210402_144415.jpg

I received the barrel this evening and re-assembled everything. I'm happy to report that feeding is night & day better than before. Bullet tips slide along the polished chamfer into the chamber with no visible damage. Case closed on this issue!
As a follow-up. When I shoot this rifle now, my concentration isn't being broken anymore by crappy feeding. If you have feeding issues, I strongly suggest you send your barrel to @Supersubes to have him fix and polish the chamfer into the chamber. Huge positive difference!

As a follow-up. When I shoot this rifle now, my concentration isn't being broken anymore by crappy feeding. If you have feeding issues, I strongly suggest you send your barrel to @Supersubes to have him fix and polish the chamfer into the chamber. Huge positive difference!

Have you, or anyone else, heard about anyone doing 6.5 PRC out of the Fix? Not sure what all you would need other than a barrel and bolt head, but I think I've seen them mention interchangeable bolt heads on the mini Fix. Haven't really looked if that also applies to the 308/6.5 Fix.

Reactions: mkollman74
Have you, or anyone else, heard about anyone doing 6.5 PRC out of the Fix? Not sure what all you would need other than a barrel and bolt head, but I think I've seen them mention interchangeable bolt heads on the mini Fix. Haven't really looked if that also applies to the 308/6.5 Fix.
Im gonna say no on that. Just not going to work with the this design. Look into a light action like an defiance AnTi and MDTā€™s new folding carbon chassis.

Does the 16" proof barrel offer any weight reduction over the Q steel 16"?

I finally found everything I needed to start reloading (complete newb here, but have done a ton of reading!) and so went through the process of figuring out my COAL and length to Ogive for the Fix (16ā€ 6.5cm with a Thunder Chicken) before figuring out that the stock SR25 PMAG it comes with seems WAY too short to fit what would be 20-40 thou off the lands, which is what I see recommended by Hornady, Berger, and others. I measured 2.868 with a split case and Berger Classic Hunter 135gn, and 2.9305 with the Hornady gauge, and the PMAG looks to be around 2.832. Are people running different mags in the Fix? Does it make a big enough difference to be worth it? My particular fix shooting
F73B4331-943F-4007-8BAC-03A32476FE84.jpeg
from bags seems to hate Factory American Eagle 120gn (huge groups) but I was able to get a decent group with 44.5gn of Ramshot Hunter, the 135gn Bergers, Lapua brass, and CCI 400s, but nowhere near as accurate as what Iā€™ve seen other people post. Just wondering how much I should pursue longer COAL mags (Knightā€™s for example) versus trying to locate other powders to try. Itā€™s so hard to find components now and I was starting from zero, so as much fun as Iā€™m having trying different loads, I should probably focus where the most potential gains might come from.... This afternoon I did cook up a set of 5 rounds with 44.5gn RamShot Hunter @ 2.830 for the stock PMAG and then another 5 with 44.5gn but at 2.860 that I will chamber by hand to see if the longer OAL made them group tighter. I feel like that may not be a valid comparison, because maybe with more room in the case, more charge might be needed to maintain the same pressure, so the longer OAL may actually make for worse groups with 44.5gn but could be tighter with a higher charge. Or something... I havenā€™t shot them yet, so I guess Iā€™ll see what happens.
I also have some Winchester ā€œ6.5ā€ that I havenā€™t even looked up the load data for yet...
So are people using different magazines? If so, what is the best and where can you find them?

I finally found everything I needed to start reloading (complete newb here, but have done a ton of reading!) and so went through the process of figuring out my COAL and length to Ogive for the Fix (16ā€ 6.5cm with a Thunder Chicken) before figuring out that the stock SR25 PMAG it comes with seems WAY too short to fit what would be 20-40 thou off the lands, which is what I see recommended by Hornady, Berger, and others. I measured 2.868 with a split case and Berger Classic Hunter 135gn, and 2.9305 with the Hornady gauge, and the PMAG looks to be around 2.832. Are people running different mags in the Fix? Does it make a big enough difference to be worth it? My particular fix shootingView attachment 7617045 from bags seems to hate Factory American Eagle 120gn (huge groups) but I was able to get a decent group with 44.5gn of Ramshot Hunter, the 135gn Bergers, Lapua brass, and CCI 400s, but nowhere near as accurate as what Iā€™ve seen other people post. Just wondering how much I should pursue longer COAL mags (Knightā€™s for example) versus trying to locate other powders to try. Itā€™s so hard to find components now and I was starting from zero, so as much fun as Iā€™m having trying different loads, I should probably focus where the most potential gains might come from.... This afternoon I did cook up a set of 44.5gn Ramshots @ 2.830 for the stock PMAG and then another 5 with 44.5gn but at 2.860 that I will hand-load to see if the longer OAL made them group tighter. I feel like that may not be a valid comparison, because maybe with more room in the case, more charge might be needed to maintain the same pressure, so the longer OAL may actually make for worse groups with 44.5gn but could be tighter with a higher charge. Or something... I havenā€™t shot them yet, so I guess Iā€™ll see what happens.
I also have some Winchester ā€œ6.5ā€ that I havenā€™t even looked up the load data for yet...
Iā€™m running KA mags and can eek out a little more COAL.

Reactions: LiveFreeOrDieBob
Kac and Larue still only get you to 2.86-87". I say load them mag length and try it. It'll surprise you sometimes.

Also as to not getting the accuracy you see from others. I have an original 22" Bartlein 6.5. It hammers with 140eld and 143eld-x. Truly .5moa or slightly better. I have a 16" CF 6.5 barrel and a Bartlein 16" 308. With the light barrels it's not very forgiving . Still very capable of great accuracy but it takes a little extra effort.

Reactions: LiveFreeOrDieBob
Load them to mag length and see how they do. I load to mag length in both of my fixes and theyā€™re both sold 1/2ā€ or better typically (both wear proof carbons though). My factory stainless 308 barrel wouldnā€™t shoot that good FWIW.

Thanks all - ordered one 10rd KAC mag last night (expensive!) so I guess weā€™ll see if that helps. At the very least I will be able to report back on how the same components work at PMAG length vs KAC length.

What twist are you guys running on your 16-18ā€ proof barrels for 6.5? Way to many options now haha.

I agree with the above. Iā€™ve got 1300ish through the OG Bart 22ā€ and love it. Eldx/m it eats them. Ready to try a proof out.

What twist are you guys running on your 16-18ā€ proof barrels for 6.5? Way to many options now haha.

I agree with the above. Iā€™ve got 1300ish through the OG Bart 22ā€ and love it. Eldx/m it eats them. Ready to try a proof out.
Only two twists for proof prefits, 7 and 8, and only the 16ā€ comes in 7. So all you have to do is pick a length.

Only two twists for proof prefits, 7 and 8, and only the 16ā€ comes in 7. So all you have to do is pick a length.
Nice - thank you, kind sir. I guess would it be relevant to have the 18 with a 7 twist? šŸ˜‚

No. The 18" is dumb
You like the 16ā€™s or longer barrels?

to me, a weapon like this is really good for shorter engagements, along with the 6.5cm cartridge. The 16ā€ barrel and a suppressor is ideal. If i had my fix still it would be wearing a 16ā€ cf proof.

Proof carbon barrels aren't all that light weight. If my goal were light weight I'd have a barrel made from a short skinny steel barrel.

Reactions: Jgunner
No. Its to have the functionality of a thicker barrel without having the weight which comes with it.

This functionality of a thicker barrel is beneficial when you are running a suppressor.

Longer barrels and cans suck
You got me all jazzed up. I want one. Do you have a pic of one of your barrels and the full length rail?

Is that like a beer coozy, but for a rifle? That would be the bees knees for when I snuggle my Fix.
Yes. Sort of.

There is a full length arca rail mounted on the bottom of the handguard. Then that neoprene sleeve over it. Was a cover for a crappy aluminum tube ar handguard. Someones wife made them an extra and I got it.

Its purpose is to keep the window sill on my Lexus from getting dicked up. Or my hand from freezing when its cold as balls.

The flat arca and gey cover is perfect for what I use that Fix for...

How does the proof barrel do with prolonged shooting? I have the 22in creed bartlein and itā€™s too front heavy for my taste

i got a 16in 308 in a deal and put it on but havenā€™t shot it. I am worried itā€™s two thin to do a shooting course with

Sorry. I am talking 300rounds in a day in a hotter setting while still maintaining accuracy.

I donā€™t know if I want to buy a 6.5 barrel if I think I am going to want a 8.6 creed

I have been loading up some 8.6 rounds in anticipation of the barrels coming in. It is an interesting round. I have great hopes for it.

ILya

I have been loading up some 8.6 rounds in anticipation of the barrels coming in. It is an interesting round. I have great hopes for it.

ILya

If you guys have free time and don't mind Podcasts, the one from Q is probably my favorite of firearm related podcasts.

Recently they covered the field testing of the 8.6BLK and talked about some of the results of the testing that were pretty fascinating to hear about. I am just reposting their numbers, so please don't take these as my calculations or statements:
  • Typical 308 projectile out of a 16" barrel, 1:10 twist is around 150,000 - 200,000 RPM
  • They are quoting 500,000-750,000 RPM with their extremely fast twist (1:3) with 8.6; they are claiming that this rotational velocity adds a significant energy / effect on target vs. more conventionally slower twist barrels.
  • They were testing 1:1 twist barrels that were spinning apart jacketed projectiles so they dialed it back; more interestingly, the rotation was so rapid with a 1:1 twist that the projectiles were actually rotating supersonic (and therefore making the cracking noise) while still moving subsonic linearly downrange.
  • The 1:3 fast twist spins the projectile so fast that the spin drift (with the supersonic loads) is exaggerated pretty greatly at distance; at ~400m it adds 1.5 mil of windage based on rifling direction.

Loved that podcast. Super interesting. I canā€™t wait to see the round.

Super cool that they stretched it way out, but the drop/drift would be annoying to work with šŸ˜‚

Loved that podcast. Super interesting. I canā€™t wait to see the round.

Super cool that they stretched it way out, but the drop/drift would be annoying to work with šŸ˜‚
If you buy a leupold scope you wouldnā€™t have to worry about the spin drift if you used the reticle for holes

What ring height is everyone using? I'm mounting a Mk5 3.8-18x44 and find the 1.06 ring height of the mark 4 rings to be a little low.

Last edited: