• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

The more I learn, the harder it gets! - choices!

shaggy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2011
Virginia, at last
I have arrived at the time in my life where I'm looking for a proper rifle to help me sleep better at night. I've trolled and studied around on these forums, as well as a lot of other places. In a nutshell, here's where I am.
I am looking for a tactical rifle with accuracy that will make me happy, but being realistic for combat standards.
-.308 Win for ammo abundance and respectable balistics.
-magazine fed (I'll next narrow down a good hunting / walking around rifle with bolt action, but that's another day).
-combat tough and out of the box (not going to go after aftermarket builds / stocks / etc.)
That said, I plan on adding Aimpoint optics (or equivalent), sling, and one or another bipod/"T" handle, very little else (no lights, etc.).
My price point without optics is up to about $3,000. Of course I'd happily save money rather than spend it, and that seems to be the market rate for what I am looking for, but it does rule out custom dream guns.
I've toted around an M16A2, and now M4, for years with work, so I have a platform in AR function and familiarity.
I started by looking at the SA M1 Scout Squad, as a tested, durable rifle. But, I figured something better was out there after the last 80 years or so.
I hear tons of praise for the LWRC, and am looking at the REPR.
I am considering G.A. Precision rifles also.
I have picked as number one the POF P308.
Given that, can anyone shed some light on this and talk me into / out of one or another?
Thanks in advance!!

Re: The more I learn, the harder it gets! - choices!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShaggyDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering G.A. Precision rifles also. </div></div>

+1 Go with it!
(And yes I did just get one, and have probably hammed it up on six threads so far because she's a beautiful rifle)

Unless you want to go piston, then the POF is a great option, IMO. GAPs are DI.

Might want to look at the SCAR 17. Especially If you plan on only running an aim point. It would be very light and maneuverable.

I currently own a REPR 20" and have gotten about 0.5 MOA with FGMM 168 Gr. It shoots great and has an adjustable gas system with a closed position to act as a bolt action. The 20" model comes with an adjustable Geiselle trigger and PRS stock all are a great value. You can get multiple uppers to suit your needs. The fit and finish is really tight and well made. It runs great on PMags while on semi auto but can be problematic on the closed position. I called LWRC and they said that it is not meant to be a true bolt action rifle and the closed position should be used sparingly. That being said get the tool that helps you adjust the gas system because it really does help moving the gas regulator should it get stuck.

The downside to the REPR though is that the lower only fits their uppers and the uppers are expensive. I think it should come with full rails even if it's removable for the price.

I do not regret getting the REPR because I used to own a POF 20" 308 and an Armalite Super SASS. The POF was great and I regret trading it in for my Wilson but after the REPR I will not get it. The Super SASS had the worst accuracy in my opinion. It would only hold 1 MOA at best and 1.75 the rest of the time.

If you have the means get the REPR but the POF is an excellent alternative and uses PMags instead of the Armalite mags which can be very expensive.

If you're wanting minute of man accuracy with reliability I say go with the M1A Scout. THrow an Aimpoint on like you want and call it good. I have the standard model and although I love it, I do know there are many more out of the box accurate rifles. I am nostaligic for the M1A/M14 platform though.
If you go with an AR platform I suggest a DPMS/Mega/SR25 pattern just because of PMAGS. Great priced mags that are reliable.
Just my 2cents

Thanks for the above comments.
Funny that a discussion of expensive ARs includes points about the magazines - it seems backwards somehow. That said, I've put PMags through nearly unholy use and they are great!
The front runners are the LWRC and POF. I get the impression the POF is built to higher standars, but the LWRC is more bomb-proof. At some point, I guess I can't go wrong with any of the suggestions.
oh, I think I'll have to get an M1 just for good measure in addition to anything else I get.

SCAR looks pretty nice, I was partial to a side charging handle anyway.
However, I think that the (apparent) folding stock and crome barrel might be turn-offs for me personally.

If you are thinking about an Aimpoint, SWFA "Super Sniper" series has some new 1-4 power scopes with illuminated reticles which are 90% as effective as an aimpoint at close ranges, and much better once you start pushing out the distance. Seems like from reading your description about your needs for it, and chosen optics, I'm not sure you need the most accurate or most fancy rifle. Probably something fairly simple with a flat top upper and a 16" barrel would meet your requirements. There are many choices.

True, true, we can be spoiled for choice -- as long as you have money
wink.gif

I am considering the ACOG sights too.
First though, I want to settle on the rifle. I am leaning towards the REPR at 18 to 20 barrel. My criteria is to have control of a 650 yard radius, more or less, with the ability to reach out beyond that if needed. I need a rifle that will be breaking ribs not paper, so sight accuracy needs to be within one or two M.O.A., but not worried about the X ring.

pof 308 16.5 barrel with a trijicon ta33r-9