• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

I am seriously thinking about getting one. Can someone please share the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2? The only difference I found is the hand rail cutouts. Is that really the only difference? Thanks in advance

besides the handguard, the newer ones have the quick change bolt head which you can buy for the older models, so at this point the only difference is the handguard and older ones have 20 moa rail, newer ones have a 10 mil rail and butt pad adjustable for height, that's about it.

Last edited:
besides the handguard, the newer ones have the quick change bolt head which you can buy for the older models, so at this point the only difference is the handguard and older ones have 20 moa rail, newer ones have a 10 mil rail and butt pad adjustable for height, that's about it.
Much appreciated!

Can anyone measure the length-of-pull with the stock in its shortest config? Thanks!

For those that bave both AI AX and MRAD here, can you share your personal opinion on the difference between the 2? I have watched a lot of reviews trying to decide which to get. And it feels like the MRAD is more rugged and built to handle magnum calibers while the AI AX is more towards competition and built to handle cmaller calibers?
I know the answer is get both but Brandon stopped sending money so peasants like me have to pick one…

For those that bave both AI AX and MRAD here, can you share your personal opinion on the difference between the 2? I have watched a lot of reviews trying to decide which to get. And it feels like the MRAD is more rugged and built to handle magnum calibers while the AI AX is more towards competition and built to handle cmaller calibers?
I know the answer is get both but Brandon stopped sending money so peasants like me have to pick one…
The AIAX is a short action. The AT-X is the newer rifle built for matches (short action only). The AXMC would be long (CIP length) action, which is more comparable to the MRAD.

Both are rugged and shoot well. It's a toss up for me between the two. I don't have the AXMC. I find that I shoot my AIAX more often, only because barrels are easier to replace and many gunsmiths will chamber for it.

The MRAD's bbl extension can be bought as a kit, I believe. Then you can have a gunsmith use the kit to chamber/cut/thread a bbl for you. Not too many smiths are doing this for the MRAD. Perhaps this will change in the future.

Reactions: roberthu526
The AIAX is a short action. The AT-X is the newer rifle built for matches (short action only). The AXMC would be long (CIP length) action, which is more comparable to the MRAD.

Both are rugged and shoot well. It's a toss up for me between the two. I don't have the AXMC. I find that I shoot my AIAX more often, only because barrels are easier to replace and many gunsmiths will chamber for it.

The MRAD's bbl extension can be bought as a kit, I believe. Then you can have a gunsmith use the kit to chamber/cut/thread a bbl for you. Not too many smiths are doing this for the MRAD. Perhaps this will change in the future.
Smiths I know that can do the Chamber Kit, GAP, LRI, Spartan, and i've seen another guy post about bugholes on this forum.

Reactions: Dooby and Demthios
Smiths I know that can do the Chamber Kit, GAP, LRI, Spartan, and i've seen another guy post about bugholes on this forum.
Bugholes did mine. They've done two for me that shoot lights out (300PRC and 33XC) and I currently have an order in for a 41XC Bartlein ModBB barrel.

Reactions: Dooby
So it looks like the civilian market won’t get much until 2024? Or can Barrett actual get caught up sometime next year? Trying to decide if I should just settle on an AI AXSA…
There are mrads being released sporadically. I saw one sell on Gunbroker about a month ago for $5200 just gotta stay on top of it.

Reactions: roberthu526
There are mrads being released sporadically. I saw one sell on Gunbroker about a month ago for $5200 just gotta stay on top of it.
Good to know! I always thought Gunbroker was filled with price gouging…

I've got both an ai ax and the new mrad. If prs style shooting or occasional hunting is your game the ax is the way to go. Elr shooting the mrad is awesome. Very linear recoil, no twisting and unbelievable light recoil. The weight plus the center of gravity of the rifle does a great job mitigating forces. Me and my shooting buddies shot this morning and I had a chance to go long i.e. 2055y. I was able to self spot as the thing is a pussycat to shoot. 338lm, thunderbeast 338 ultra sr. Hit 5 times, last 4 were all in a row. Very impressed.

MRAD - 3.jpeg

Reactions: Demthios
Hey, I’m very new to this community. Trying to get some expertise om my MRAD(338NM). I have it setup with a Nightforce ATACR 5-25 in a scalar works leap mount. I’ve had issues sighting the gun in effectively.

To start, I leveled the scope in the base on the gun as per the instructions. Went to shoot the gun for the first time. After about 5 shots with making some adjustments, the rounds starting going off the paper. I went back and found I had under tightened the rings on the base. I then retightened the base to a torque that was too high breaking the base of the mount.

I got a new base and releveled the scope in the mount(to the correct torque amount). Took the gun out to sight it in again with a suppressor on it with my buddy who is a former marine scout sniper. He and I struggled to even get the gun on paper. We put 18mils of wind adjustment on the scope and it didn’t move an inch at 12yds. I then called nightforce to have the scope sent in. They sent it back saying it was fine.

I remounted everything and boresighted the scope. It was 3 ft high and left. Got it moved to about 6inches high and then the rounds walked off paper after about 30shots. I’m at a loss for words on what to do besides maybe try the scope mounted on a different gun to rule that out? Really want this gun to be as good as I’ve heard from a lot of people.

Could it be a blown barrel from a hot load? No pun intended! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

About the only good thing living in Oregon has is no sales tax
I respectfully disagree. I live in Central Oregon (Bend).
  1. The weather and seasonal changes are great.
  2. The recreation is amazing (hiking, boating, camping, motorcycle-riding, etc.)
  3. Very reasonable gun laws (no wait, no restrictions on mags or AR's, easy-to-get Concealed Carry licenses, etc.)
  4. Terrific 1-mile rifle range (COSSA) nearby.
  5. Oregon coast rivals scenery anywhere else in the world.
  6. Cheaper to live than a lot of places (no sales tax, property values, etc.)
Oh, and no Sales Tax.

I've lived in Massachusetts, Colorado, California, and visited almost every other state during my life. I believe Oregon ... if you extract Portland and just don't go there ... is a terrific place to live, work, and play.

I respectfully disagree. I live in Central Oregon (Bend).
  1. The weather and seasonal changes are great.
  2. The recreation is amazing (hiking, boating, camping, motorcycle-riding, etc.)
  3. Very reasonable gun laws (no wait, no restrictions on mags or AR's, easy-to-get Concealed Carry licenses, etc.)
  4. Terrific 1-mile rifle range (COSSA) nearby.
  5. Oregon coast rivals scenery anywhere else in the world.
  6. Cheaper to live than a lot of places (no sales tax, property values, etc.)
Oh, and no Sales Tax.

I've lived in Massachusetts, Colorado, California, and visited almost every other state during my life. I believe Oregon ... if you extract Portland and just don't go there ... is a terrific place to live, work, and play.
I do love COSSA and yes Oregon is beautiful lived in many parts of it all of my life but the government sucks and hopefully that anti gun bill doesnt pass

Start with the simple things first are your rings mounted properly are they strong enough for the recoil than try another scope on it or try the scope on another weapon eliminate the easy stuff first

I do love COSSA and yes Oregon is beautiful lived in many parts of it all of my life but the government sucks and hopefully that anti gun bill doesnt pass
It won't ... even the hard-core Democrats know that trying to pass aggressive gun-control legislation in Oregon is a guaranteed loser. BTW ... the government "everywhere" sucks, IMHO. Oregon is one of the "marginally bad" options of many "very bad" possibilities.

Hey, I’m very new to this community. Trying to get some expertise om my MRAD(338NM). I have it setup with a Nightforce ATACR 5-25 in a scalar works leap mount. I’ve had issues sighting the gun in effectively.

To start, I leveled the scope in the base on the gun as per the instructions. Went to shoot the gun for the first time. After about 5 shots with making some adjustments, the rounds starting going off the paper. I went back and found I had under tightened the rings on the base. I then retightened the base to a torque that was too high breaking the base of the mount.

I got a new base and releveled the scope in the mount(to the correct torque amount). Took the gun out to sight it in again with a suppressor on it with my buddy who is a former marine scout sniper. He and I struggled to even get the gun on paper. We put 18mils of wind adjustment on the scope and it didn’t move an inch at 12yds. I then called nightforce to have the scope sent in. They sent it back saying it was fine.

I remounted everything and boresighted the scope. It was 3 ft high and left. Got it moved to about 6inches high and then the rounds walked off paper after about 30shots. I’m at a loss for words on what to do besides maybe try the scope mounted on a different gun to rule that out? Really want this gun to be as good as I’ve heard from a lot of people.

Could it be a blown barrel from a hot load? No pun intended! Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Lots of things could be wrong. Do you have a 10 mil rail on your mrad? How many moa/mils is your mount? Did you push the mount forward then tighten to the rail? What ammo you using? Are your screws on the mrad(gripping the barrel) torqued correctly 140in-lbs. Is the muzzle brake tight or loose? When you installed the barrel did you close the bolt then tighten your screws?

Check for cracks at the hinges of each ring. That mount has been known to crack around the axles.

Also, shoot it without the suppressor attached.

Bingo! Found a problem from

bingo, rear ring at the hinge was broke. Makes total sense now! Thanks for the help. Hopefully this fixes everything!
That sucks, sorry to hear it. My understanding is that they've been pretty good about replacing them. They actually came out with a revised design that has several more "mini hinge" parts that you can see on the product page: https://scalarworks.com/shop/quick-detach-mounts/leap-09/

Bingo! Found a problem from

bingo, rear ring at the hinge was broke. Makes total sense now! Thanks for the help. Hopefully this fixes everything!
One word.... Spuhr. You bought an expensive rifle and scope... you need a quality scope mount. Nightforce's rings aren't bad either.

Reactions: Luka and m1ajunkie
Era-tac if you want high-end quality.

I've a few Spuhr's and one cracked moving it twice on rifles. Probably have more then thirty Era-tac's, move them around constantly, never a problem or crack!

Reactions: BCX
Era-tac if you want high-end quality.

I've a few Spuhr's and one cracked moving it twice on rifles. Probably have more then thirty Era-tac's, move them around constantly, never a problem or crack!

I was surprised to see a crack on my Spuhr. Use Fix-it sticks to exact torque specs so was a little shocked. They replaced it straight away but sounds like this may be a known problem. Hope the replacement they sent is good to go for life.

Is that the Mantis system out on the front picatinny rail? I just picked on up and enjoy using it on my pistols just didn't know how it would work with a bipod precision rifle.
I wish it worked better.

I’d have to see if you can toy with the sensitivity. Running the bolt does trigger it so you have to be able to decipher the prep, trigger break, and the follow through.

Either way dry firing and analyzing ever little bit of my shooting has helped me leaps and bounds in PRS.

Im actually not selling a barrel because I dont know how to follow the rules and pay for supporter status and thought I was so slick to sell outside the PX. But Im on vacation now to think about my stupid decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone got the NF 7-35 on theirs? Is that starting 7 too much magnification? Had one of those tanno ones come my way and debating picking it up. Might look a little funky on a black gun but very hard to turn down for the price 🤪

Anyone got the NF 7-35 on theirs? Is that starting 7 too much magnification? Had one of those tanno ones come my way and debating picking it up. Might look a little funky on a black gun but very hard to turn down for the price 🤪
you should be OK (y)

Reactions: Kman866
Had a couple different scopes on top settled on the 7-35. I think it’s a great pairing never had an issue with the mag range shooting from 100yards to a mile

Attachments

• F4ACDCE4-1A25-4DF4-BAEA-936515F1B1CF.jpeg
    F4ACDCE4-1A25-4DF4-BAEA-936515F1B1CF.jpeg
    510.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 35732D42-F39B-419E-BD49-2D39049D8EEA.jpeg
    35732D42-F39B-419E-BD49-2D39049D8EEA.jpeg
    587.1 KB · Views: 98