• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

Hey y'all, what are your thoughts on suppressors for magnum or extreme ELR calibers? Most of the ELR guns I see have some type of huge muzzle brake. I'm inclined to think in the heavier calibers the brakes are much more effective at recoil reduction than a can, but have no info to support that. I did call Barrett and they advised that my AM338 would be fine running the XC, i.e., 500 fps faster than standard Lapua. But thinking of future builds, I'm thinking anything above 338 would get a big brake. Thoughts??
I ordered a Barrett suppressor... made for the gun and the caliber(s). .338. Spins right on the factory brake.

Looked at a bunch of options, but for the price decided that Barrett engineers knew what they were doing when they created the platform and they probably knew what they were doing when they built the brake and suppressor. So I'm not going to second guess them.

That said, I am sure there are some good 'other' options out there and am also interested in other folks' thoughts!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: m1ajunkie
Chase Stroud's one-on-one training was worth every dime. The first day was a beginner's intro into reloading and load development, since I have never reloaded. Chase was EXTREMELY knowledgeable and supplies video's to his clients so they can go back and refer to them. I was not interested in ringing out every last fps but wanted decent velocity with good barrel life. We wound up with 120.4 grains of H50BMG for the Badlands 275gr Super Bulldozer-2 at 3180 fps with ES of 8 after fire forming. When Chase was done, this barrel was putting 5 bullets through the same hole at 100 yards and shooting a 1-inch group at 500 yds. Even Chase, an ELR World Record holder, was astonished at the accuracy. Since his reloading equipment was 15 feet from his range, me trying to duplicate this where I live would have taken me countless hours learning online and numerous trips to the range.

The next day, with Chase spotting, I was able to make two consecutive hits at 2-miles in 13-22 mph winds. When I was leaving, Chase told me my MRAD could easily compete in the King of 2 Miles (to clarify-the gun not me :LOL: ). To say I was ecstatic with the whole experience is the understatement of the year!!! If you are interested in taking your ELR skill set to the next level, or the first level in my case, I would highly recommend training with Chase. He's an hour or so outside Austin and easy to get to. I've always believed the best person to learn from is the one who is doing the skill you wish to aquire and doing it extremely well.

Also, big shout out to Greg and Russ of Southern Precision (bugholes.com) for turning out such an amazing Maker's Kit-Bartlein combo. The Bartlein mod BB seems to be the ticket!! Chase scoped the barrel after 50 or so rounds and there was ZERO firecracking. The 1 in 8 twist loved the Badlands 275s!

Bryan two mile shot with charlie taraq.jpg
Chase Stroud with me 2.jpg
Stroud Trailer.jpg

Thanks for the report swatdude. Sounds like a real winner. Keep us updated on that cartridge. Really interesting. Btw, I think brian litz won the elr match with an mrad in 300nm in Casper last summer. The platform really seems to have been refined. I just wish I had gotten a couple maker kits at Christmas when I had the chance.

Thanks for the report swatdude. Sounds like a real winner. Keep us updated on that cartridge. Really interesting. Btw, I think brian litz won the elr match with an mrad in 300nm in Casper last summer. The platform really seems to have been refined. I just wish I had gotten a couple maker kits at Christmas when I had the chance.
Seriously kicking myself as well for not grabbing a maker kit when I had the chance...

Chase Stroud's one-on-one training was worth every dime. The first day was a beginner's intro into reloading and load development, since I have never reloaded. Chase was EXTREMELY knowledgeable and supplies video's to his clients so they can go back and refer to them. I was not interested in ringing out every last fps but wanted decent velocity with good barrel life. We wound up with 120.4 grains of H50BMG for the Badlands 275gr Super Bulldozer-2 at 3180 fps with ES of 8 after fire forming. When Chase was done, this barrel was putting 5 bullets through the same hole at 100 yards and shooting a 1-inch group at 500 yds. Even Chase, an ELR World Record holder, was astonished at the accuracy. Since his reloading equipment was 15 feet from his range, me trying to duplicate this where I live would have taken me countless hours learning online and numerous trips to the range.

The next day, with Chase spotting, I was able to make two consecutive hits at 2-miles in 13-22 mph winds. When I was leaving, Chase told me my MRAD could easily compete in the King of 2 Miles (to clarify-the gun not me :LOL: ). To say I was ecstatic with the whole experience is the understatement of the year!!! If you are interested in taking your ELR skill set to the next level, or the first level in my case, I would highly recommend training with Chase. He's an hour or so outside Austin and easy to get to. I've always believed the best person to learn from is the one who is doing the skill you wish to aquire and doing it extremely well.

Also, big shout out to Greg and Russ of Southern Precision (bugholes.com) for turning out such an amazing Maker's Kit-Bartlein combo. The Bartlein mod BB seems to be the ticket!! Chase scoped the barrel after 50 or so rounds and there was ZERO firecracking. The 1 in 8 twist loved the Badlands 275s!

View attachment 7854080View attachment 7854081View attachment 7854082

Looks like an awesome time! Sharp looking MRAD as well!

I left my rifle with Chase to work up a load for my 338NM barrel since we ran out of time. Debating whether or not to keep my Bartlein Maker's Kit in 300PRC. Not sure how much I want to be switching back and forth a lot between multiple calibers. I can see keeping 300PRC if the cost per round is significantly less than 338NM. Anyone have a good feel for that? I bought Hornady A-tips for the 338NM so I can mag load that round. The 275 badlands SB-2 OAL was too long.

Last edited:
View attachment 7778426Just picked up my first MRAD. Looking for any/ all advice from folks with experience. Will be firing first rounds tomorrow. Anyone have good DOPE cards for 175 FGMM or .300 NM 215 BERGER? What do you usually feed it? (I am unable to do my own reloads currently) Located in OR for anyone who’s down to send rounds. I’m always open to network/ meet new folks with the same passions.
Is the mount a 0 or 20 moa version of the NF ultramount on the mk22 deployment kits? Looking to get my order placed today if anyone can chime in and help.

What are peoples thoughts on Barrett supporting this rifle for civilians going forward? Especially with all the focus being on serving military customers.

What are peoples thoughts on Barrett supporting this rifle for civilians going forward? Especially with all the focus being on serving military customers.
They will get back to it once they deliver on the contract requirements. Back in nov of 21 they announced their 1000th production mk22. The one award was for 3000 complete systems. There are some other programs that have contract requirements too. My understanding is that their order book from FFL dealers was filled for FY22 in addition to their military contracts. They're pushing these as fast as the cnc machines can work.

Reactions: roberthu526

Define support? I've worked with customer service a couple times since getting my MRAD in december of last year. They haven't been unbelievable to work with, no concerns around lack of support from me.

Anyone have a good way of barrel storage for conversion kits with the bolt heads as well? I hate using the hard case, it almost gives me a hernia each time and is too bulky with all the other gear

Anyone have a good way of barrel storage for conversion kits with the bolt heads as well? I hate using the hard case, it almost gives me a hernia each time and is too bulky with all the other gear
TAB gear has a sleeve but I think it's overpriced for what it is https://www.tabgear.com/products/barrel-sleeve

I just use the bag they shipped in and add a tag so I know what's what.

I've been trying to call and order one of those bags now for a while. I got a proof research barrel that I'm looking for a storage solution for.

Thanks guys! I was just curious, I have 2 conversion kits and some of bags are so over priced

I twist my bolt head into the barrel for storage. Anyone see an issue with that?
LRI spinning up some MRAD goodness on Bartlein Mod BB LH gain twists.
You doing a 37XC Maker's Kit???? Curious how that shoots in the MRAD. The 33XC had surprisingly light recoil but the ModBB Heavy Varmint Barrel was 8.5 lbs with the Maker's kit, pushing the MRAD weight to around 22 lbs with everything on it. Pressure is less with the bigger diameter rounds in the XC case right? It's my gut feel (not based in any science) that regardless of pressure, I don't think its a good idea to run the ft-lbs too much above standard MRAD Calibers. The 33XC is right around 6200 ft-lbs at the muzzle. A 41XC at 2850fps with 500gr Lazer is over 9,000 ft-lbs. Am I thinking about this wrong? Or should a .416 maker's kit be next on my list (if they ever come back in stock)?

Since I'm single feeding now, anyone know where I can get a nylon cartridge holder/pouch to fit the 33XC? Preferably in Multicam? Thought I saw a pic on here somewhere but can't find it.

I twist my bolt head into the barrel for storage. Anyone see an issue with that?

You doing a 37XC Maker's Kit???? Curious how that shoots in the MRAD. The 33XC had surprisingly light recoil but the ModBB Heavy Varmint Barrel was 8.5 lbs with the Maker's kit, pushing the MRAD weight to around 22 lbs with everything on it. Pressure is less with the bigger diameter rounds in the XC case right? It's my gut feel (not based in any science) that regardless of pressure, I don't think its a good idea to run the ft-lbs too much above standard MRAD Calibers. The 33XC is right around 6200 ft-lbs at the muzzle. A 41XC at 2850fps with 500gr Lazer is over 9,000 ft-lbs. Am I thinking about this wrong? Or should a .416 maker's kit be next on my list (if they ever come back in stock)?
I don't think running a 37xc would be an issue. Barrett is working on a .375 but i believe they've put it on hold until they get caught up on contracts. If you can run a .338 lapua you could run a .375 ruag. I just think this is the optimal platform for pushing the edge. Not sure why ft-lbs of muzzle energy calculated at the muzzle matters? The cartridge is running at like 60k psi.

Reactions: Swatdude1
So is LRI making their own kit where we can use whatever xyz barrel we want?
No. That would be cool though. The barrel extensions are from Barrett and come with a bolt head, the parts for the bolt head and instructions/diagram of how it’s all supposed to go together. You can do pretty much any barrel profile you want but you need at a Minimum a 1.25 inch diameter shank for at least 5 inches. Back in late 2020 I ordered a few modified palma contours from bartlein. Light palma 6.5saum, medium palma 300norma and 338 lapua and a heavy palma for 37xc.

The only bartlein contour that meets the 5inch shank requirement without a special order is the #9 heavy varmint.

So far GAP has spun up a barrel for me and now LRI is. Haven’t been able to shoot any of them yet, will be doing some load development in the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: Pinmaster
I've been reading through this thread, doing my best to educate myself on this platform. I really like the idea of being able to change barrels chambered for different cartridges. Am I correct in that all that is required is one of Barrett's Makers Kit combined with a barrel from a third party? It looks like the only change to the bolt assembly is just the bolt head.

I'd like to get one in black or flat dark earth with a folding stock in .300 PRC. From my quick searches online, I can't seem to locate any in stock. In reading the thread it looks like these are usually back ordered for about 18 months or so. Does anyone have a good shop to back order one from that they could recommend?

Thanks!

I've been reading through this thread, doing my best to educate myself on this platform. I really like the idea of being able to change barrels chambered for different cartridges. Am I correct in that all that is required is one of Barrett's Makers Kit combined with a barrel from a third party? It looks like the only change to the bolt assembly is just the bolt head.

I'd like to get one in black or flat dark earth with a folding stock in .300 PRC. From my quick searches online, I can't seem to locate any in stock. In reading the thread it looks like these are usually back ordered for about 18 months or so. Does anyone have a good shop to back order one from that they could recommend?

Thanks!
Here's one in stock for a ok price.

Here's one in stock for a ok price.
The folders are the only ones that do barrel changes. They continue to pop up on Gunbroker sporadically for around $6500. Barrett just got another military contract and rifles and makers kits will be scarce for the next year or so. You will probably be hard pressed to find one in 300PRC so you might have to bite the bullet and grab another caliber in the meantime.

Reactions: roberthu526
The folders are the only ones that do barrel changes. They continue to pop up on Gunbroker sporadically for around $6500. Barrett just got another military contract and rifles and makers kits will be scarce for the next year or so. You will probably be hard pressed to find one in 300PRC so you might have to bite the bullet and grab another caliber in the meantime.
Yes sir, not sure if this post was meant for me 😉 I don't need a second MRAD, the OP asked about a 300 PRC barrel, hence my post for him to get one 👍

Sorry, it was for Burke888 and I think he was looking for a rifle.

Looking for barrels and rifles so I appreciate both of the replies! (y)
Good to know that only the folding stock models can accept the barrel changes. It sucks knowing that I'll have to wait over a year. What's a typical retail price for these? I'm hoping that in a year inflation doesn't cause them to be even more expensive. Anyway at all to back order one to lock in a price?

Looking for barrels and rifles so I appreciate both of the replies! (y)
Good to know that only the folding stock models can accept the barrel changes. It sucks knowing that I'll have to wait over a year. What's a typical retail price for these? I'm hoping that in a year inflation doesn't cause them to be even more expensive. Anyway at all to back order one to lock in a price?
I found one on Gunbroker for 5K a guy sold one on here for 6500 with 2nd conversion. There's a few on GB

Reactions: Burke888
I found one on Gunbroker for 5K a guy sold one on here for 6500 with 2nd conversion. There's a few on GB
GunBroker is such a nightmare to use for me, always have issues every time on there. I think I'll stick to here for finding one.

GunBroker is such a nightmare to use for me, always have issues every time on there. I think I'll stick to here for finding one.
I can see that. It was painless for me, fast and easy and found what I wanted. Good luck with the search

Reactions: JimJoeBob
What is the best barrel vise to use to swap a muzzle device on the fluted MRAD barrels? What do you guys use?

What is the best barrel vise to use to swap a muzzle device on the fluted MRAD barrels? What do you guys use?
I have a Viper Barrel Vise that I use to change out all of mine. Have some leather or cardboard to wrap the barrel in if you are worried about marks.

Reactions: BoreBear
Took a class this past weekend and was able to stretch the MRADs legs out. Had targets from 300 yards all the way out to 1776 yards. Managed to get the 6.5CM on the 1 mile once, switched out to the 300 PRC and was able to hit the 1 mile targets with easy. Felt pretty awesome to hit those 1 mile targets, longest I have locally to me is about 600 yards.
20220514_132851.jpg

20220514_172901.jpg

Any good gun Smith can do it. But will they?... I used Bugholes because they had the reamer I was looking for.
Bugholes as done two for me, lives thirty minutes from Barrett and knows folks there, and the 33XC Mod BB barrel he did for me is putting rounds through one hole. Chase Stroud kept asking me... "now who did this barrel for you?" because he was amazed at the accuracy.

Reactions: waveslayer
Question for MRAD owners: What is the maximum allowed COAL on the 300/338 mags? I wasn't able to find that info anywhere.

I know you guys can help me out with this. I purchased a gen 1 MRAD barrel .308 non-fluted, and the bolt head does not have the notch in it. So is it possible to buy the bolt head separately? and if not what do I need to make this work?

Hey guys if anyone here is looking for a MRAD I've got mine listed. 338 Lapua bronze with extras. So if you are looking or know someone who is, please send them my way. I have a ton of reloading stuff I can add in along with load data and probably 20-30 reloads. 300 plus lapua brass and 285gr ELDM's can be added to the deal. Thanks in advance for any help.

I know you guys can help me out with this. I purchased a gen 1 MRAD barrel .308 non-fluted, and the bolt head does not have the notch in it. So is it possible to buy the bolt head separately? and if not what do I need to make this work?

This happened to me recently.... hit up barrett customer service and they'll get you square away. Rather than a new bolt, you'll have to either get a new bolt body and bolt pin that's not captured or modify your current captured pin so that it's no longer captured.

This happened to me recently.... hit up barrett customer service and they'll get you square away. Rather than a new bolt, you'll have to either get a new bolt body and bolt pin that's not captured or modify your current captured pin so that it's no longer captured.
Hey thanks for the help! I called and they said to buy a large to small breach conversion kit? does that sound right? I just bought one today..

Reactions: diverdon
Hey thanks for the help! I called and they said to buy a large to small breach conversion kit? does that sound right? I just bought one today..

Guess it depends on the age of your rifle but that's not what I did. I purchased only the bolt body and cross pin. Looks like the large to small breech conversion kit includes the plastic sleeves and the firing pin assembly. For reference, my MRAD is the current generation with the mlok fore end.