• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

Have any of you guys on here owned/used both the MRAD and an AI such as an AX or AXSR/AXMC? Looking for some insight. I’m wondering if I should ditch my AT 6.5 for one of these MRADS, but have never even handled one. They shoot factory ammo well enough? I’ll be at the mercy of factory match for awhile, unfortunately. I’m looking at 308/6.5creed/300PRC mainly, and 6creed if that’s possible for one of these. Just wondering if I should save the coin and get an MRAD, or take the AX/AXSR plunge?
Are you specifically looking to shoot mostly or predominantly magnum cartridges or primarliy to replace a short-action setup?

Are you specifically looking to shoot mostly or predominantly magnum cartridges or primarliy to replace a short-action setup?
I’d say to primarily replace a short action, with the option to be able to goto a magnum at some point without having to buy a new rifle.

I’d say to primarily replace a short action, with the option to be able to goto a magnum at some point without having to buy
I like the ability to go from short action to long action so quickly, kind of like my DT's.

I run my .308 a ton and my 300 Norma, all in the same session. Makes it nice and easy

I like the ability to go from short action to long action so quickly, kind of like my DT's.

I run my .308 a ton and my 300 Norma, all in the same session. Makes it nice and easy
How is zero’ing back and forth all the time? Do you just run an offset with the kestrel or actually re-zero the turrets every time a barrel is changed?

How is zero’ing back and forth all the time? Do you just run an offset with the kestrel or actually re-zero the turrets every time a barrel is changed?
Great question. I've been running a H59, Mil XT, and Tremor 3 reticle for so long I just dial my scope to the respective zero and use hold overs. Now if I need to dial I will, I have all my zeros written down in several places. Zero for me hasn't been an issue at all. Same for my DT.

So I mostly use hold overs. Or dial, 1.5 mils is 1.5 mils whether my scope is set at .8 mils for elevation or not. So dial to 2.3 mils. It works for me. I never set my zero stop. I zero out my scope for what caliber I shoot the most , which is my SAUM on my DT and my 300 Norma on my MRAD.

Let me know if that makes sense or if I can clarify for you

Reactions: HD1911
I've got both an AX and newest version Mrad. 6mm Creedmoor and 338LM respectively. If you want just one for everything the mrad is hard to beat. Both platforms have their pros and cons but the mrad sure makes it user friendly. I did some trigger customization that made it really nice and had to hack a pistol grip to get it ergonomic. I think it is great for elr type shooting. My AX is more prs comp friendly. I'm keeping both and selling my TRG m10.

MRAD is super heavy, I thought my DT was heavy! With the 26" 300 Norma barrel she's a beast

MRAD goping from 6.5 to 300nm i had to go right .2. God i love having one scope for multiple calibers! Save money! I went MRAD, was looking at what you were, MRAD is cheating its so easy. Now if only .338lm barrel kit was in stock........... proof research has you covered for 6creed

Has anyone made a bolt stop to allow users to shoot .308 or 6.5CM without the long action throw? I know the DT has ones for their system to take them from a long action to a short action. Thinking it would be easy to 3D print something to place in the rearmost sleeve to achieve this.

Has anyone made a bolt stop to allow users to shoot .308 or 6.5CM without the long action throw? I know the DT has ones for their system to take them from a long action to a short action. Thinking it would be easy to 3D print something to place in the rearmost sleeve to achieve this.
Honestly, I have never noticed, I don't use it in my DT so maybe muscle memory, run it and run it hard! 🤣

I’m so close to just listing up the AT and saying screw it, and giving the MRAD a try. I’m kinda AXSR shy at the moment, mainly due to cost, but also the trigger failing in the ASR trials (this gives me hesitation). Also, not digging their keylsot handguard, I much prefer MLOK. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The only barrel I can seem to find right now is the Carbon fiber .300 PRC from Euro. Looks like I’d be starting out with a 22” .308 MRAD. Would then be searching for a 300PRC/Norma barrel most likely right away as well.

Reactions: schmi015
I’m so close to just listing up the AT and saying screw it, and giving the MRAD a try. I’m kinda AXSR shy at the moment, mainly due to cost, but also the trigger failing in the ASR trials (this gives me hesitation). Also, not digging their keylsot handguard, I much prefer MLOK. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The only barrel I can seem to find right now is the Carbon fiber .300 PRC from Euro. Looks like I’d be starting out with a 22” .308 MRAD. Would then be searching for a 300PRC/Norma barrel most likely right away as well.
Where are you located and Barrett has barrels in stock. Gunbroker too. If you're close to CA you can play with mine... 😉

Where are you located and Barrett has barrels in stock. Gunbroker too. If you're close to CA you can play with mine... 😉
Man I wish, haha! Thank you tho. I’m about 2hrs 45mins from Barrett, lol!

So Barrett direct has barrels in stock? I didn’t find anything on gunbroker besides that 300PRC carbon barrel… me search fu must be weak.

Man I wish, haha! Thank you tho. I’m about 2hrs 45mins from Barrett, lol!

So Barrett direct has barrels in stock? I didn’t find anything on gunbroker besides that 300PRC carbon barrel… me search fu must be weak.
Yes, go to their website and ask for a factory tour

Yes, go to their website and ask for a factory tour
Dang… never even considered that was a possibility. I need to do this asap. Hell, I wonder if they will just go ahead and sell me a rifle directly too?

I have no experience with the AI so take these comments with that in mind. I like the fact the MRAD is designed for the military so it is basically idiot proof. The plastic sleeve that seals the bolt area is a godsend in the desert. Super easy to service and with the upgraded bolt removal lever, barrel changes are a breeze. And the rifle is built in such a way you would have to really try hard to put it back together wrong. Everything is easily removable and serviceable.

As far as barrel kits go, unfortunately, Barrett is buried in military contracts. I would call them and ask about parts availability. They showed the 338 makers kit in stock so I ordered, but then after 2 months they said all barrel interfaces were going to military contracts. I contacted them and reminded them the kit had showed in stock when I purchased, and they made things right and shipped immediately. My first 300PRC kit is perfect. Southern Precision can usually get Bartlein barrels faster than most dealers and he has now done a bunch of maker's kits. Depending on barrel, they run about $1700 to $2000 but you can usually get in 2 to 3 months. I would highly encourage going with the Bartlein Mod BB. At shot show, Chase Stroud told me he attended some testing of the modBB. He had to leave before testing was complete, but said they were getting 30 to 35% more barrel life. When you are spending $1800 on the machined barrel with MRAD interface, to me the added cost of the upgrade is well worth it.

I have no experience with the AI so take these comments with that in mind. I like the fact the MRAD is designed for the military so it is basically idiot proof. The plastic sleeve that seals the bolt area is a godsend in the desert. Super easy to service and with the upgraded bolt removal lever, barrel changes are a breeze. And the rifle is built in such a way you would have to really try hard to put it back together wrong. Everything is easily removable and serviceable.

As far as barrel kits go, unfortunately, Barrett is buried in military contracts. I would call them and ask about parts availability. They showed the 338 makers kit in stock so I ordered, but then after 2 months they said all barrel interfaces were going to military contracts. I contacted them and reminded them the kit had showed in stock when I purchased, and they made things right and shipped immediately. My first 300PRC kit is perfect. Southern Precision can usually get Bartlein barrels faster than most dealers and he has now done a bunch of maker's kits. Depending on barrel, they run about $1700 to $2000 but you can usually get in 2 to 3 months. I would highly encourage going with the Bartlein Mod BB. At shot show, Chase Stroud told me he attended some testing of the modBB. He had to leave before testing was complete, but said they were getting 30 to 35% more barrel life. When you are spending $1800 on the machined barrel with MRAD interface, to me the added cost of the upgrade is well worth it.

For what it's worth I actually emailed Barrett last night around the availability of a 6.5CM barrel kit. I was informed they put a temporary hold on the sale of barrel kits to the civilian market due to military order priority. Civilian sales will hopefully resume when the military requirements are met.

For what it's worth I actually emailed Barrett last night around the availability of a 6.5CM barrel kit. I was informed they put a temporary hold on the sale of barrel kits to the civilian market due to military order priority. Civilian sales will hopefully resume when the military requirements are met.
This alone might make me reconsider buying an MRAD right now unless you can find one in your desired caliber. Glad I ordered my kit when I did!! Southern Precision (bugholes.com) isn't far from Barrett in Tennessee. I wonder if he could get any makers kits direct from Barrett. Might be worth an ask.
Also have to agree with the other poster, the MRAD is on the heavy side. If I didn't plan on shooting magnum calibers, I would probably pick another platform for anything less than 300 WM. I have a Daniel Defense 18" barrel AR that shoots factory 6.5 Creedmor sub moa and is less than 10lbs with a Trijicon Scope.

B5EC879F-B333-4001-A54A-57DBFDD43DF3.jpeg
5DBE1C3E-946B-40DD-967F-C6BF5DF2C4C3.jpeg

Reactions: waveslayer
Yes/No. Barrett sells two different 30 cal muzzle brakes one for the AM30 and one for the AM338. Not sure which one ships on the 30 Cal Mrads or the conversion kits. I swapped all mine out for Rearden Devices, so I can run any of my Dead Air/Silencerco/Form 1 cans.

Yes/No. Barrett sells two different 30 cal muzzle brakes one for the AM30 and one for the AM338. Not sure which one ships on the 30 Cal Mrads or the conversion kits. I swapped all mine out for Rearden Devices, so I can run any of my Dead Air/Silencerco/Form 1 cans.
Barrett just got back to me the AM338 fits all barrels except the 308 and 6.5 those just need a AM338 muzzle brake with 5/8x24 threads

So earlier I asked about options for a case for an MRAD with a wide-bipod, big scope and... interesting grip. Turned out I had the solution around all the time.

Back about 15 years ago, I bought a couple of Stinger Cases when they were easy to get and cheap from Sportsmans Guide or something like that. I used them to transport crankshafts to and from grinding. But they got to be too bulky and unwieldy.

So... with some measuring, these are perfect not only to fit an MRAD, but a spare barrel, suppressor, magazines, ammo, tripod spotting scope...
stinger 2.jpg

First step (and all I have accomplished so far) is to remove the foam from the case. And holy hell on a ham hock... is that a job! It's massively strong foam (and some styrofoam) held in with, I guess, some kind of hot glue. Put together by people who were, apparently, paid by the gallon of glue that they used. Getting the foam out of one of these is a battle! I heard that these were sold to the gummint from the late '70s into the 1990's for $2300 a case. And I think most of that was glue.

stinger 1.jpg

Using a Geisswein vibrating saw, and 3 hours, I finally got the foam out. But there is still a bunch of glue and 'scraps' of foam that I can remove with an angle grinder and a sanding disk. But I started to do that inside and think I unleashed a toxic cloud that will have Al Gore writing me a nasty letter. So until I can do it outside... I'm going to hold off on the rest of the removal. Then I'll paint the inside again with CARC.

I have foam on order. For those big boys, an old surplus Stinger Case is going to be just the thing! More to follow!

Sirhr

Just got an email from Bugholes.com. My 33XC MRAD Barrel should be here the end of next week. I didn't have time for him to keep it for another week or two to Cerakote it, but I will do that when I get back from my ELR class with Chase. Hopefully the paint doesn't change the POI too much... haha.

Hey y'all, what are your thoughts on suppressors for magnum or extreme ELR calibers? Most of the ELR guns I see have some type of huge muzzle brake. I'm inclined to think in the heavier calibers the brakes are much more effective at recoil reduction than a can, but have no info to support that. I did call Barrett and they advised that my AM338 would be fine running the XC, i.e., 500 fps faster than standard Lapua. But thinking of future builds, I'm thinking anything above 338 would get a big brake. Thoughts??

Hey y'all, what are your thoughts on suppressors for magnum or extreme ELR calibers? Most of the ELR guns I see have some type of huge muzzle brake. I'm inclined to think in the heavier calibers the brakes are much more effective at recoil reduction than a can, but have no info to support that. I did call Barrett and they advised that my AM338 would be fine running the XC, i.e., 500 fps faster than standard Lapua. But thinking of future builds, I'm thinking anything above 338 would get a big brake. Thoughts??
Are you talking competition, field use, or just at the range?

Personally I love my Surefire can on my 300wm and 338lm. Just range time and field use. MRAD shoots fine all day, <50 rounds, with a Surefire brake; but is a pleasure with a suppressor.

So I recently picked up a 6.5CM barrel for my MRAD however I ran into a snag last night when I tried to shoot the barrel...... Turns out the bolt for the 6.5 is not compatible with the bolt housing assembly for my rifle. The issue is the 6.5 bolt does not have a "notch" on the top side that my 338LM and 300PRC bolts have.

Am I missing something here around why this 6.5 bolt won't work with my bolt housing?

Pictures for reference. The bolt that works is the one with the "notch" cut, the 6.5 bolt does not have this notch.

Bolts in barrels.jpg

Bolts.jpg

.338 and under suppress it, .375 and over muzzlebrake. I had a .375 allen mag(cheytac improved) built on a single shot action(19lb gun) with 32 inch barrel launching 350 smk's at 3250 with 140 grains or so of re33 and suppressed recoil wasn't pleasant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swatdude1
So I recently picked up a 6.5CM barrel for my MRAD however I ran into a snag last night when I tried to shoot the barrel...... Turns out the bolt for the 6.5 is not compatible with the bolt housing assembly for my rifle. The issue is the 6.5 bolt does not have a "notch" on the top side that my 338LM and 300PRC bolts have.

Am I missing something here around why this 6.5 bolt won't work with my bolt housing?

Pictures for reference. The bolt that works is the one with the "notch" cut, the 6.5 bolt does not have this notch.

View attachment 7842118

View attachment 7842119
Call tech support on monday. Can't say i've seen that.

Reactions: m1ajunkie
@m1ajunkie

The notch was a revision to "poka yoke" the bolt. I.e., you cannot put the bolt in the tube the wrong way.

Your 6.5 bolt should have a step in the cross-pin hole also.

Call Customer service and they will get you squared away.

@m1ajunkie

The notch was a revision to "poka yoke" the bolt. I.e., you cannot put the bolt in the tube the wrong way.

Your 6.5 bolt should have a step in the cross-pin hole also.

Call Customer service and they will get you squared away.

Yes, there is a step in the cross pin hole. Thank you for the info, had no clue this was even a thing. I'll reach out to customer service tomorrow.

View attachment 7842118

View attachment 7842119
I do not own a MRAD and only held one a long time ago, but this is what I think is going on (pure speculation).

The bottom bolt head (6.5CM) was an earlier model where the bolt cross pin was able to be removed from the bolt body assembly. The cross pin was stepped to ensure that the user can only install the bolt head the correct way around.

Later models of the MRAD seems to have the cross pin permanently retained to the bolt body. My guess it was a requirement for a later government contract. In order for this to work, they had to cut the big notch you see in your 300PRC/338LM.

Your best option is to reach out to the people that supplied you the 6.5CM bolt head as there don't seem to be an easy fix for your problem.

Hope they can help you out and thus get you on the range to enjoy that rifle!

Last edited:
Reactions: m1ajunkie
Anyone have an idea of where I can get a barrel makers kit for 30 cal MRAD?
Right now all the barrel makers kits are sold out and production is focused on Mk22 contracts. The kits are pretty much defined by lapua bolt face, magnum bolt face, .308 bolt face. What kind of 30 cal build you looking to do?

Thanks. I was wanting to do a .308 Win build, 26" barrel. Contacted Southern Precision, but without the builders kit it is a no go.