• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

Im actually not selling a barrel because I dont know how to follow the rules and pay for supporter status and thought I was so slick to sell outside the PX. But Im on vacation now to think about my stupid decisions.
There is one thing I learned as a police officer... you always want to give people choices. Locking people out with no way to contact anyone is a shit move. There are better ways to address violations than leaving one with zero options. Secondly, I've been a supporter in the past but decided $20 per month was not worth visiting the MRAD thread occasionally. I think a lot more people would be supporters if the subscription rate was more reasonable. Most people can stomach $5 or $10 a month but $20 is pretty steep. Finally, if the administrators had any business sense, they would give folks the option to buy their way out of jail, by like posting up 2 months of supporter fees rather than a full lockout sentence.

Luckily, I haven't missed anything on here by simply using my computer at work to sign up with a gmail account. You could have made money with a get out of jail fee. Instead, I've still been engaging on here with no consequences.

There is one thing I learned as a police officer... you always want to give people choices. Locking people out with no way to contact anyone is a shit move. There are better ways to address violations than leaving one with zero options. Secondly, I've been a supporter in the past but decided $20 per month was not worth visiting the MRAD thread occasionally. I think a lot more people would be supporters if the subscription rate was more reasonable. Most people can stomach $5 or $10 a month but $20 is pretty steep. Finally, if the administrators had any business sense, they would give folks the option to buy their way out of jail, by like posting up 2 months of supporter fees rather than a full lockout sentence.

Luckily, I haven't missed anything on here by simply using my computer at work to sign up with a gmail account. You could have made money with a get out of jail fee. Instead, I've still been engaging on here with no consequences.
You don't have to pay to engage on the forums here. Only if you're trying to sell something. You also could have clicked the link at the bottom of the screen that says contact us to get ahold of one of the mods.

Reactions: waveslayer
Hey all, new to the forum. I've got a line on an MRAD for a decent price (not the SMR), and I must admit, I'm somewhat surprised at the twist rates for some of the calibers. The published twist for .308 Win is 1:8??? From every calculation I've looked at, that's overstabilization even for the longest, heaviest bullets in .308 Win. I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, but has anyone experience excessive yaw or spin drift with this twist? The published reviews are all glowing, but I take the paid shills with a grain of salt. I'm seriously interested in this rifle, but the M24 was 1:11.25 and the M40 was 1:12, with most others using 1:10...

Thanks.
1/8 is great, you will see significant gains at distance (drop and wind) and be surprised at what you can get away with 168's

Reactions: gotiron
You don't have to pay to engage on the forums here. Only if you're trying to sell something. You also could have clicked the link at the bottom of the screen that says contact us to get ahold of one of the mods.
Everything I clicked gave me the same message... banned to Sept. 29th. And really if the banning moderator had read my post and the ones form others before it, I was only debating selling it. If you'd checked my account, you'd see I have been a supporter and have sold an item on Sniper's Hide so I wasn't trying to pull a fast one or violate the rules. I'll be much more careful never to even mention anything about selling moving forward.

Everything I clicked gave me the same message... banned to Sept. 29th. And really if the banning moderator had read my post and the ones form others before it, I was only debating selling it. If you'd checked my account, you'd see I have been a supporter and have sold an item on Sniper's Hide so I wasn't trying to pull a fast one or violate the rules. I'll be much more careful never to even mention anything about selling moving forward.
Not to be rude, but nobody really cares. Can we get back to MRAD related topics?

Take the complaining up with Mods via PM.

So I took my mrad out tonight for the first time with a new 37xc 32in barrel. Brand new brass, using a federal magnum primer, 390grn A-Tip. I started like the tubb white paper suggested at 116grains of H50bmg.

Here are my results, how high can I go? Velocity seemed low.
At each charge weight I had three rounds using my 120fx-I scale.

116- 2602, 2575, 2590
118- 2636, 2650, 2648
120- 2678, 2681, 2673
122- 2727, 2726, 2724
124- 2752, 2777, 2761
125- 2787, 2782, 2785
I had zero signs of pressure and last group looked like this.
E5FB230F-A8CE-4F9C-902D-523F7163516B.jpeg

So I took my mrad out tonight for the first time with a new 37xc 32in barrel. Brand new brass, using a federal magnum primer, 390grn A-Tip. I started like the tubb white paper suggested at 116grains of H50bmg.

Here are my results, how high can I go? Velocity seemed low.
At each charge weight I had three rounds using my 120fx-I scale.

116- 2602, 2575, 2590
118- 2636, 2650, 2648
120- 2678, 2681, 2673
122- 2727, 2726, 2724
124- 2752, 2777, 2761
125- 2787, 2782, 2785
I had zero signs of pressure and last group looked like this.View attachment 7970344
I'd check the 33XC thread for the velocity and reloading info.. looks promising

Hello All, it has been only a little over a year since I got into ELR and started putting a significant number of rounds through my MRAD. Previous to that I was an AR shooter and just did what I'd call standard cleaning on those rifles. I was never too worried about copper. Can anyone please weigh in what you think are your most effective products for cleaning the bore and removing copper? The MRAD muzzle brake is really gummed up from the suppressor and has the nice green hue of the Statue of Liberty. Also any special techniques you've developed over the years to speed the process? Thanks.

Hello All, it has been only a little over a year since I got into ELR and started putting a significant number of rounds through my MRAD. Previous to that I was an AR shooter and just did what I'd call standard cleaning on those rifles. I was never too worried about copper. Can anyone please weigh in what you think are your most effective products for cleaning the bore and removing copper? The MRAD muzzle brake is really gummed up from the suppressor and has the nice green hue of the Statue of Liberty. Also any special techniques you've developed over the years to speed the process? Thanks.
Lots of ways. Get good copper cleaner and go to town. I use several different copper cleaners and for crazy stuff CLR, but that will ruin finishes. Soak the muzzle device or use a sonic cleaner . I use AMS oil products because I get them wholesale

If has to be done quick a mild abrasive like J-B bore compound (the brown, not red) used properly. If can take the time to let them sit the Sharp Shoot R Patch-Out and Accelerator products seem to do well if left to sit over night. If it was abused and not cleaned for a long period, you'll need the J-B regardless IMO.

The Bore Tech products seem to work well (and safely) for regular cleaning intervals, but for something that was abused it's going to be the ones above.

ETA:
A bore scope is needed or are just guessing as to what is working or not. The Teslong offerings are affordable and work well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swatdude1
How often do the barrel/caliber conversion kits show up?

They seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Reactions: Asbestos36
Anyone have any idea what the proof barrel backorder is looking like? Optics planet quotes 1-3 months but not sure if i believe them

72F4CE85-36D3-4645-BF9E-37FE44DA5641.jpeg

Attachments

• E20CCE8E-19E1-4DA3-B215-CDDE409786E0.jpeg
    E20CCE8E-19E1-4DA3-B215-CDDE409786E0.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 108
  • C8AAE733-CB78-4129-A159-59E077CFB92A.jpeg
    C8AAE733-CB78-4129-A159-59E077CFB92A.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 8FDCFFC2-3724-460E-B5B0-5D9D82ED1ACA.jpeg
    8FDCFFC2-3724-460E-B5B0-5D9D82ED1ACA.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 111
  • E93D6C7C-2FDA-43AF-8CDC-29EC8BB3FB19.jpeg
    E93D6C7C-2FDA-43AF-8CDC-29EC8BB3FB19.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 111
Got a smoking deal on a gen1. Had no idea conversions were unavailable… guess I’m getting into .338L 😂

Attachments

• 7C4D8D48-D243-4CA9-866C-275362EA2E0B.jpeg
    7C4D8D48-D243-4CA9-866C-275362EA2E0B.jpeg
    902.5 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: waveslayer
I have an MRAD with EJ prefix. Does that mean it has a large breech and I need a large breech to small breech conversion kit on these barrels currently on sale in the Barrett site? Also, these “new” barrels aren’t listed on their 2022 price list catalog. Are these older barrels?

I have an MRAD with EJ prefix. Does that mean it has a large breech and I need a large breech to small breech conversion kit on these barrels currently on sale in the Barrett site? Also, these “new” barrels aren’t listed on their 2022 price list catalog. Are these older barrels?
Send them an email with your serial number they have great cs

Reactions: Burnttoast
*** Edited*** From my contact at barret... he says these barrels don't have the updated bolt head that the ej's have. The newer bolts have a shelf cut in them due to the bolt pin being captive. Early model aj's were larger breech. AJ001200 and below will need the L to S breech conversion. AJ models with a small breech are compatible, CJ are compatible, Early AJ and EJ will need the conversion.

Last edited:
Glade I read that I just sent them an email seeing if the barrel I ordered is the right one the last barrel worked good I didnt see that these where the older barrels

Anyone else seen that Timney released a trigger? Wonder how it is compared to the factory, kinda wish Trigger Tech would follow suit.

Anyone else seen that Timney released a trigger? Wonder how it is compared to the factory, kinda wish Trigger Tech would follow suit.

I don't see much value in it over the factory trigger - looks like the same adjustments the factory trigger has. Depending on what you're trying to do, you can clean up the factory trigger pretty nicely with a little effort. Now if they allowed for the 1st stage to be removed (without just removing the spring and letting it flop around) - that would be of value. In theory you could do that to the factory trigger, but it would require a bit more work.

Anyone running weights on their MRAD? I started thinking about it, but all the weights I find are large rectangle designs that are going to look silly and ruin the profile.

Anyone running weights on their MRAD? I started thinking about it, but all the weights I find are large rectangle designs that are going to look silly and ruin the profile.
My MRAD with custom barrel, atlas super cal, Schmidt and Bender 5-45 and TBAC 338 can weighed in at 21.7lbs it didn't need anymore weight. :LOL:

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I don't see much value in it over the factory trigger - looks like the same adjustments the factory trigger has. Depending on what you're trying to do, you can clean up the factory trigger pretty nicely with a little effort. Now if they allowed for the 1st stage to be removed (without just removing the spring and letting it flop around) - that would be of value. In theory you could do that to the factory trigger, but it would require a bit more work.
I've had a prototype model for a while now and it is a very nice upgrade.

I've got the MDT MLOK weights on mine. Works just fine and doesn't look too bad.
20220611_171117.jpg

After waiting almost a year (some 90 days!!!) for my Barrett suppressor, finally got around to casing the whole thing. As most cases are way too small for the gun and the bipod I have fitted, I used a surplus Stinger case... bought several from Sportsmans Guide a few years! Good deal!

Fits up very nicely! And rugged as hell, but not very stealthy. So 'Boomer' is secure and ready for a Feb Road trip to Oklahoma. Among others.

Cleaning the 'foam' out of the stinger case SUCKED by the way. Talk about some over-built gummint glued-in-hard-as-a-rock foam. I used mattress memory foam. Worked great! But would not cut well with the electric carving knife, so used a sharp filet/butcher knife and it cut beautifully!

stinger 1.jpg

FItted the first layer in three pieces. Then the top layer was done with a single piece, as was the lid.

stinger 2.jpg

It's well-protected and the scope and grip (high and low points) are padded well-away from the aluminum case.
stinger 3.jpg

Spotting scope, SH knife, 30 rounds of ammo incl. 2 mags... and suppressor fit very nicely in the Stinger case. One leg is making contact with the aluminum and I plan on gluing a piece of felt in to keep the bipod from scuffing.
stinger 4.jpg

Yes, this is the "boomer'd" MRAD because I love the wood PSG-1 grip and adapted one designed for an AR. It's a sweet grip! Much nicer than the original. And, yes, I boomer'd an MRAD. Shut up slackers.
stinger 5.jpg

Happy New Year!!! Another 2022 project finished just in the nick of time for 2023 to arrive.

And congrats to all my fellow new MRAD owners! It is an awesome platform!

Sirhr

Does anyone know the weight difference between a Proof and stock 300 Norma barrel in the MRAD?

Last edited:
I have an FDE MRAD in 300 Norma on the way as well as a NF 7-35 Mil-XT. Will add more calibers most likely - perhaps proof, we shall see.

I am looking at connecting the scope and rifle together with an M-Brace 1.5” high 20 moa - looking for suggestions on the mounting system if you MRAD dudes have a better idea.

thanks

Reactions: Swatdude1