• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

Do you reload .. if so what components do you use?

I love that big beefy bolt we got with the early ones ... now they use a smaller bolt -- I had to use the conversion kit as I got the Proof Barel
I do not reload, its something I want to get into eventually but I just don't have the time for it now. I struggle with time just to get out and shoot as it is. I shoot the Prime 338, and found a bunch of hand loads from Southwest Ammunition on GB a few years back and I bought it all. I also have a couple cases of Hornady factory loads for it.

The original bolts are quite large, I had to buy the conversion kit as well to run any of the switch barrels. I also had to send the gun back to Barrett so it could be machined to accept the switch barrels and any barrel kit I buy going forward has to be modified by them to work with my Rifle. Mine is one of the originals they pushed out before I think they had fully developed the ability to switch barrels that easily.

I recently took my MRAD to a local club PRS match. Lots of thick heavy snow. Everything was soaked and with temperatures below freezing I had zero issues running the rifle even after letting it sit and freeze.

Very nice!

I'm running a BT10 atlas on mine.

Hey guys you may want to look at this bipod. I know it’s pricy but works great..

Old extensions

Was wonering if it would be worth sacrificeing my 338 barrle to get a custom 300 norma....... just spitballing ideas in my head

I planned to do this, but have not been able to shoot enough to wear out my .260 and rebuild it into a 6.5.

I would not think that it is worth sacrificing a barrel assembly with serviceable bore unless you plan to preserve and resell the existing barrel.

Have you gotten a price quote from SAC? Given past experience with their shop costs, I would anticipate $850 or more for a blank and rebarrel when you factor in threading, contour, and coating.

The plus would be only shipping the barrel/extension assembly and not a complete barreled action.

Reactions: Blaster7Romeo
I planned to do this, but have not been able to shoot enough to wear out my .260 and rebuild it into a 6.5.

I would not think that it is worth sacrificing a barrel assembly with serviceable bore unless you plan to preserve and resell the existing barrel.

Have you gotten a price quote from SAC? Given past experience with their shop costs, I would anticipate $850 or more for a blank and rebarrel when you factor in threading, contour, and coating.

The plus would be only shipping the barrel/extension assembly and not a complete barreled action.

No I have not checked with them yet.. thought I would throw it out here first to see if there work was even worth checking on

Will let everyone know the results if I do .

I just can't do those giant bipods where I shoot. In the rocky sand as well as with random larger rocks embedded in the ground, the footprint is just too damn big.

Best combination I've found for the MRAD is a Harris 6-9 but with the Badger pic rail clamp upgrade to attach directly to a rail on the bottom.

Where's the best place (or places) to buy MRADs nowadays? Same question for conversion kits. I'm shopping around and open to both new/used, in 6.5 CM. Any generational changes to be aware of post 2014/small breech? Great looking rifles everyone.

Where's the best place (or places) to buy MRADs nowadays? Same question for conversion kits. I'm shopping around and open to both new/used, in 6.5 CM. Any generational changes to be aware of post 2014/small breech? Great looking rifles everyone.

I would try used on one of the resale forums. Many are unfired, or close to it. I found my small breech on the px here for just over $4k here with .260 and .338 barrel kits. I think there has been an unfired .260 in grey on the PX for $4k for months.

The only changes I have seen on the civilian sale guns are minor details in the buttstock design. The newest revision appears to allow tool-less up and down adjustment to the butt plate. I have also seen pictures of a version with MLOK and a bag rider, but have not seen it for sale any where.

They have also redesigned the single stage trigger a couple times, but may not have since they went to the small breech.

I would try used on one of the resale forums. Many are unfired, or close to it. I found my small breech on the px here for just over $4k here with .260 and .338 barrel kits. I think there has been an unfired .260 in grey on the PX for $4k for months.

The only changes I have seen on the civilian sale guns are minor details in the buttstock design. The newest revision appears to allow tool-less up and down adjustment to the butt plate. I have also seen pictures of a version with MLOK and a bag rider, but have not seen it for sale any where.

They have also redesigned the single stage trigger a couple times, but may not have since they went to the small breech.

Thank you, that was very informative!

Yea PX here or gunbroker I got a unfired 338 small breach for $4K around new years.. as for conversion kits.. shopped and looked and looked and shopped.. $1300 is all you are gonna get unless someone here wants to sell one.. and that seems rare now..

Yeah, my friend has had a .338 LM MRAD now for 3 years. No matter how hard I try to get him to the range he always has excuses.
THEN he bought a BARRETT .50 cal.! Naturally it too will be a safe queen.

Aaaarrrggghhh!

Does anyone here have the MRAD in 300 PRC? (Or is Barrett too busy filling the Army contract to make any barrels in 300 PRC for the civilian market?)

Yeah, my friend has had a .338 LM MRAD now for 3 years. No matter how hard I try to get him to the range he always has excuses.
THEN he bought a BARRETT .50 cal.! Naturally it too will be a safe queen.

Aaaarrrggghhh!

Does anyone here have the MRAD in 300 PRC? (Or is Barrett too busy filling the Army contract to make any barrels in 300 PRC for the civilian market?)

Post #817 mentioned he ordered when it was only 1500. I think that was the CF barrel?

Man i found that deal, shoulda bought one too. Direct from Barrett too

I think it was backordered at the time.

Really have to find the right buyer for that one, with how it has been one-off TiN-pimped as an NSW special edition.

Post #817 mentioned he ordered when it was only 1500. I think that was the CF barrel?

Man i found that deal, shoulda bought one too. Direct from Barrett too

I think it was backordered at the time.

Barrett has select barrel change sets on sale at 20% off, which at least places them close to what you would pay at Euro Optic. Worth watching to see if they are closeout items that will be reduced further.

Reactions: Dooby
Update : with Sig Sauer Tango 6 5-30x56 with ERA-TAC One-Piece Ultra Short Mount

And I will sign it in and shot from 600 yards up to 1000 yards

For this ELR rifle I will not go shoot for every day or every week , ~~~~ and for the Ammo $$$$ is no big deal.

Nice. You need an FDE SCAR 17 to go with that! I know a guy....

I went with an S&B PM II on my MRAD as it switches across three calibers regularly. The dual turn, MTC turrets on the S&B reset to new zero more easily than anything else I have tried and all the screws remain captive as they are adjusted, so there is no turret removal or any other craziness. Just loosen two screws, spin back to zero, and re-tighten.

I am really thinking about picking up an MRAD. I do have a couple of questions. Does it return to zero if you take the barrel off to clean it? Also is anyone else making barrels for it or are we just having to use what Barrett puts out? Thanks

Hey Kenotic, why would you take the barrel off the rifle to clean it? if your asking when you change calibers with the mrad. Then, Yes.
Poi changes when you change calibers. Off course poi changes when you clean the barrel without removing from the chassis like all rifles react to cleaning. Once you shoot a handful of rounds it settles back down to original point of aim.

I’m pretty sure Barrett is the only original manufacture of barrels. I have heard LRI can spin another one up with the extension and a worn out barrel? Not 100% sure about LRI, Either?

What bag is that?

@kenotic

I wish I remembered. It is made by Armageddon gear, but I don't think they make it anymore. It is like the gamechanger, but the two halves can be separated with snaps and be individual bags. It is a bit smaller than the gamechanger and I use it as my go to. I love to use it as a rear bag as well. That is what I am doing here.

Thanks to my wife and Father’s Day coming early, I joined the family. This is chambered in 260 rem. Now to decide what caliber to chamber in next.

.260 is not too bad if you primarily reload. The "C" marked magazines can take almost 3", so 147gr ELDs loaded long work great. Mine will stack those and the 139gr scenars.

Was this the .260 that was on the EE? I didn't think I liked the tungsten but it looks great under natural light.

.308 today

What's everyone using for scope mounts on their MRAD's? I've got a Steiner M7xi 4-28x56 MSR2 and am looking at potentially putting it on a Barrett MRAD but want to figure out what mount to go with first. I'm thinking Spuhr but want to know what height will be needed. Anyone that can share what they are using would be appreciated. I would just measure and figure it out if I had the gun already, but I'm trying to get it figured out before pulling the trigger, no pun intended.

I have a Geissele with a S&B pm 2 5-25.. may not be the best pic for the application but I had it already.. I would like 10 moa in the mount to give me 30 moa overall. For ELR.. probably would not need it with another scope thoe..

I'm looking at a new rifle for work with switch barrel and multi-caliber capability. I have it narrowed down to AI and MRAD. Being the MRAD thread can you please talk to me about accuracy? Everything else looks great, I just worry about it as I have never seen one shoot or tried it myself. Thery did get the contract, but that could be because of the name...

I'm looking at a new rifle for work with switch barrel and multi-caliber capability. I have it narrowed down to AI and MRAD. Being the MRAD thread can you please talk to me about accuracy? Everything else looks great, I just worry about it as I have never seen one shoot or tried it myself. Thery did get the contract, but that could be because of the name...

If long action calibers are not going to be a requirement, might as well go with the lower size, weight, and shorter bolt throw of an AI AT or AX.

MRAD is an easy rifle to shoot well. I have posted a few groups here and there over the last few pages, including one 9-shot group fired removing and reinstalling the barrel every three rounds. I have not shot any 5x5s with it yet and have only done load development groups so far. Less than .5" at 100yards has been common working up loads with 139gr scenars, 130gr ELDs, and 147gr ELDs in .260 and 175gr SMKs in .308.

Safety location and other ergonomic factors are closer to an AR type rifle if that matters. The bolt lift is heavy at 60 degrees with some primary extraction, and the action is easy to run while staying on target. The factory trigger adjusts to less than 2lbs with no problems. It might be the low bore axis and weight, but it is very soft shooting for a .338.

Caliber exchange kits are more expensive than AI aftermarket prefit barrels, but include a matched bolt head, magazine, and barrel bag. If you have to buy an AI bolt and magazine to change across caliber groups, it is more or less a wash.

Contrary to popular belief, there is a lot more than name that goes into contract awards. This is a rifle that stands well on its own.

Reactions: MilSpecJohn
What's everyone using for scope mounts on their MRAD's? I've got a Steiner M7xi 4-28x56 MSR2 and am looking at potentially putting it on a Barrett MRAD but want to figure out what mount to go with first. I'm thinking Spuhr but want to know what height will be needed. Anyone that can share what they are using would be appreciated. I would just measure and figure it out if I had the gun already, but I'm trying to get it figured out before pulling the trigger, no pun intended.

Given the (56mm?) objective size on the M7xi 1.5" would be great. You'd have .15-.2 or so clearance between the top rail and a flip cap if you chose to use one. A 5-25 S&B and a tenebrex (sic) cover has only .1-15" between the objective cap and rail using a 1.5" 0MOA mount.

Mgrs, I appreciate the response. It’s been a big choice as I need to take my whole company (24 shooters) onto a new platform. I got to play with the MRAD at SHOT and I liked it, plus a few snipers I trust have said good things. However They are still new, and they don’t have the man power yet to deliver a huge military contract like they just got. I think it may be 5=8 years before they tool up and people outside the contract can get what they want. As for the contract I certainly realize they got it on more than just their name. However I also believe they had a much better chance as a US company that is famous for their 50 than AI, no matter what the rifle looked like.

I guess I've officially joined the group. Everything on the gun came from fellow hide members. Just received the Spuhr and Atlas yesterday, so as any child with a new toy does, I immediately put it all together. For some reason when mounting the scope using the wedge to square it up, it appeared the reticle didn't line up with a plumb bob hanging in the basement. Not 100% sure where the issue is. I ended up leveling the rifle and then setting the scope up so the reticle was aligned with the string on the other side of the basement. I have to go do a tall target test and then I should be able to verify if the reticle is slightly off or not. Crossed fingers that I don't have to send it out for warranty work. @Iamero @MountainHunter @alfmoonspace @SandiegoReloader27

Attachments

• 20190629_120044.jpg
    20190629_120044.jpg
    844.7 KB · Views: 333
  • 20190629_142915.jpg
    20190629_142915.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 322
Nice rifle!!! Looks just like the one I have, weird? Thanks for chiming in and joining the thread, welcome. The wedge is my go to, I haven’t been let down by it yet. Sorry to hear it didn’t work out in your mom’s basement?. You kind left that door open. Get out with at least a 4’ level and tall target test as stated and do some real wold testing. We’d love to hear update on the progress of the scope/setup. Caliber?

Few weeks ago was able to truly stretch my MRAD's legs for the first time. I had previously run it in Snipergeddon in .308 configuration and connected at 800 yards but was not able to connect at 900. Was a big disappointment for me as i really wanted to hit the 1,000 milestone.

Got to run a true long range class at Spearpoint Ranch back in May - just getting around to posting AAR + pics.

Brought all my calibers for the mrad.

Started with .308 (22" fluted)

Working through the class and the exercise, with an excellent spotter, was consistently able to ring the steel at 1,000 yards with my .308. Chrono'd ~ 2542 with IMI match razorcore 175gr and my Thunderbeast Ultra on the front.

Tried stepping out to the 1-mile with the 308 but neither my spotter nor I could spot the rounds (thick grass behind the target) or the trace. No success, but no worries: that's why the MRAD.

Switched to 338LM in just a few minutes of wrenching. Was able to ring the steel at 1k within three shots of barrel change and then was able to connect with 2/5 shots at 1 mile. Mile target (pictured below) is 30" wide.

MRAD on the left (click for high-res) wearing TB Ultra

And for the record I am barely getting started with long range shooting -- if you're on the fence, there is zero question this is the rifle for you.

Last edited:
Nice rifle!!! Looks just like the one I have, weird? Thanks for chiming in and joining the thread, welcome. The wedge is my go to, I haven’t been let down by it yet. Sorry to hear it didn’t work out in your mom’s basement?. You kind left that door open. Get out with at least a 4’ level and tall target test as stated and do some real wold testing. We’d love to hear update on the progress of the scope/setup. Caliber?
I've got time this week to get out to the range, so I should have an update by this weekend hopefully. The current setup is 338LM with a Steiner M7xi MSR2 reticle. If that scope doesn't pass the tall target test I'll send it in and throw the TT-5-25 gen 3xr on it that I picked up yesterday.

I wish I was living in Mom's basement. I can't imagine the number of toys I could have if that was the case. I'd have one of everything. I am seriously thinking about getting out of this forum, only half joking. Been here a month and have bought the MRAD, Steiner, Tangent Theta, Atlas, and a spuhr. I do not make enough money to keep this up. Can't wait to start shooting some ELR though. I am pretty new to the sport, been shooting and hunting forever but never got into competition style shooting. Everyone seems very helpful so far and I am looking forward to getting more involved over the next year or so.

Ok
Got the 300PRC Carbon barrel Tuesday.
26"
1:8 twist
Ordered a case of 225 ELD-M's to break it the with. Hope Lapua or Peterson come out with brass and some die options come around soon.

I noticed that the bolt head is different than the others that I have. A notch is cut out on the part that goes inside the bolt.
IMG_6246.JPG

Last edited:
Probably another revision to the bolt mechanism. I wonder if the new bolt bodies will have a corresponding lug so that bolt can only be inserted one way.

I'd think that we are short time from seeing the commercial MRAD offered with at least some of the PSR contract revisions. The greater buttstock adjustability, bag rider, and MLOK would be welcome updates....

Previous bolt versions for reference:

I've got time this week to get out to the range, so I should have an update by this weekend hopefully. The current setup is 338LM with a Steiner M7xi MSR2 reticle. If that scope doesn't pass the tall target test I'll send it in and throw the TT-5-25 gen 3xr on it that I picked up yesterday.

I wish I was living in Mom's basement. I can't imagine the number of toys I could have if that was the case. I'd have one of everything. I am seriously thinking about getting out of this forum, only half joking. Been here a month and have bought the MRAD, Steiner, Tangent Theta, Atlas, and a spuhr. I do not make enough money to keep this up. Can't wait to start shooting some ELR though. I am pretty new to the sport, been shooting and hunting forever but never got into competition style shooting. Everyone seems very helpful so far and I am looking forward to getting more involved over the next year or so.
So I went to the range Friday and the tall target test seems to be good. It followed the line the entire time. I believe the turret must have been locked right in the middle of its range though, because I only have 13 mils up elevation and none down. I don't have any experience with Steiner optics other than this scope, so I need to read up on how to get that resolved to give me the full travel. At 100 yards with it at 0, I was still 6-8 inches high. I had it mounted on my buddies 223 to save on ammo cost and I have to ask him if his rail was 0 MOA or not.

I'm new to the forum. Figured I would post my MRAD. Just got her in 3 weeks ago. 300PRC CF.... Shoots like a wet dream!!!

Attachments

• BFC88CC1-705C-42F5-88B1-5939363BA456.jpeg
    BFC88CC1-705C-42F5-88B1-5939363BA456.jpeg
    465.6 KB · Views: 310
  • 5DFBA391-74CC-45B8-A0A7-DF1DE1A4C527.jpeg
    5DFBA391-74CC-45B8-A0A7-DF1DE1A4C527.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 297
  • 924F6000-69EE-42A5-BA1D-06C455D714DE.jpeg
    924F6000-69EE-42A5-BA1D-06C455D714DE.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 308
  • 55340510-F986-45D1-BA89-D6B056E06176.jpeg
    55340510-F986-45D1-BA89-D6B056E06176.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 1250429E-D62F-469D-8457-38639AEA7F22.jpeg
    1250429E-D62F-469D-8457-38639AEA7F22.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 05B06EED-A6F0-4B12-BC04-E07513EA139C.jpeg
    05B06EED-A6F0-4B12-BC04-E07513EA139C.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 306
So I was installing a sidewinder brake on my .338 while barrel was torqued into the receiver, and I spun the barrel off the extension by accident. I used a strap and a dummy round to headspace and attempt to tighten the extension (extension is held by a barrel nut) but all surfaces are smooth steel, with no flats for any wrench. Difficult to tighten for sure. I tightened as much as I could, and it is headspaced correctly, but afraid that firing the rifle may de-torque the barrel extension again. Anyone have a suggestion on how to tighten the nut without marring it? (it's perfectly round and smooth so can't get a wrench on it) I lightly staked the barrel nut to the extension in two spots but this area must remain smooth in order to interface with the receiver clamping area. I will take it to the range tomorrow to see what happens, but I assume I gotta send the whole thing in to Barrett in order to be sure.

So I was installing a sidewinder brake on my .338 while barrel was torqued into the receiver, and I spun the barrel off the extension by accident. I used a strap and a dummy round to headspace and attempt to tighten the extension (extension is held by a barrel nut) but all surfaces are smooth steel, with no flats for any wrench. Difficult to tighten for sure. I tightened as much as I could, and it is headspaced correctly, but afraid that firing the rifle may de-torque the barrel extension again. Anyone have a suggestion on how to tighten the nut without marring it? (it's perfectly round and smooth so can't get a wrench on it) I lightly staked the barrel nut to the extension in two spots but this area must remain smooth in order to interface with the receiver clamping area. I will take it to the range tomorrow to see what happens, but I assume I gotta send the whole thing in to Barrett in order to be sure.
I dont suppose you took a picture of the extension and nut before putting then back on? I forsee cannibalizing mine when I've shot out a barrel and I'm not sure I understand how they come apart.

I dont suppose you took a picture of the extension and nut before putting then back on? I forsee cannibalizing mine when I've shot out a barrel and I'm not sure I understand how they come apart.
No I didn't. But basically there is a barrel extension, and a "barrel nut" that jams it from the front. The two form a cylinder which is the bearing surface that inserts into the upper receiver and is then clamped around it. Apparently it comes apart easily if you have a barrel vise. Or just keep it torqued in your upper and twist the barrel counter clockwise. It will probably loosen.

Anyhow, I tested it this weekend at the range and everything is still good headspace-wise. Still shot a .167 5 round group and a .345 7 shot group.

Should be able to have a gunsmith use your extension for a new barrel easily.