• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

I share all of this of course...
- the bolt knob is part of the folding stock lock mechanism. With the plastic ball they solved the problem quick and dirty. If you are interested in the bolt knob guy, go on fb and llok for 'The Polished Knob' The pic you saw are prototypes so no warranties, YMMV, I will test them this weekend.
-the magpul grip is just a placeholder...they are smart guys, they know that if you have six grands in your pocket for their rifle you can have whatever grip you like and each one his own...personally ergo wrapped in vetrap is my choice on all my AR semmies and of course on the MRAD too.
-oh man, you got it! a caliber mark or an id on both barrel ext and bolt head is really needed. I really did not expect they missin this.
-swivels thing and buttplate rotatin should be there period end of story. hope someone from Barrett gets this sooner or later.
Regarding bolt head/barrel match marking, Barrett MRAD/Bolt Armor Course, Don Cook recommends engraving matching marks/numbers in non-bearing locations to prevent mixing bolt head and barrels. The four digit codes on the bolt head and barrels appear to be day/month codes of when manufactured. They are matched for head space during assembly, but not finally match coded....up to user. Can't believe Barrett will continue this potential problem for military. Can't see grunt engraving his bolt head/barrel, but sure can see him mixing the components when downrange. It's an issue waiting to happen. Anyone viewed the components in the Deployment kit for match coding??? Can't believe military development team would have missed this.

Reactions: mgrs
MRAD Bag RiderSKU: 18799 in black only is available in Barrett store at $75.00. It will be slightly long for the civilian MRAD as it was designed for the MK22 Mod 0 stock, but will work on any picatinny rail.

Yea I picked up the bag rider fits fine, still waiting on the vertical adjustable recoil unit. Asked Barrett if I could buy one from the MK22 to modified it to fit my rifle , there supposed to come out with one to fit the older rifles possibly he said.

338LM is a "C" family mag. 300NM and 338 NM are both new "D" family mags. Therefore, the MK22 Deployment kit contains 10 identical "D" mags per Joel Miller, Barrett Global Military Manager on 6/12/20.

thank you - that explains it seems odd as I understood them to be interchangeable but I guess it isn't so... that will teach me...

So through a fortuitous accident I was able to find a great deal on an MRAD. Basically, a new .308, 17" MRAD for $3500.

I'm going to reload for it but was planning on trying factory ammo as well. Has anyone had success with FGMM 168 or 175s? Its been a while since I've shot factory .308 but is that still the "go-to"?

Excited to join the cult.

Reactions: 81sfo
A couple of questions.

First, does Barrett offer the MRAD in 300 PRC and 6.5 PRC?

I haven't seen 300 PRC other than an article that mentioned a DoD contract.

Second what length of barrels are offered?

I would be interest in a 28-29 in barrel if offered 300 PRC.
300PRC 26" 1:8 is offered......at 25% off = $1173.75....I have received it. No 6.5PRC, but there is a Barrel Maker Kit at $425 in Barrett Store.

All kits include:
1. Barrel Extension
2. Bolt
3. Barrel Extension Jam Nut
4. Ejector Roll Pin
5. Ejector Spring
6. Ejector
7. Extractor
8. Ejector Spring
9. Instruction Card

Saw some pics on the army sniper association Instagram page with the mk22.
Thought I would share for those that don't look on there.
20200623_214244.jpg
20200624_111320.jpg
20200624_111341.jpg
20200623_214223.jpg

300PRC 26" 1:8 is offered......at 25% off = $1173.75....I have received it. No 6.5PRC, but there is a Barrel Maker Kit at $425 in Barrett Store.

All kits include:
1. Barrel Extension
2. Bolt
3. Barrel Extension Jam Nut
4. Ejector Roll Pin
5. Ejector Spring
6. Ejector
7. Extractor
8. Ejector Spring
9. Instruction Card
Has anybody tried these? Kind of worried about the 1:8 twist as I’m planning on running factory hornady 225 ELD-M ammo.

Should I be concerned with the large firing pin causing pierced primers? Looking to pick up and MRAD or AI and want to make the best decision possible (I know the AXSR has a small firing pin).

Hey Canuck,

Do you feel like the Atlas bi-pod and mono-pod are adequate enough for recoil, say if I stepped up to a 338 Lapua? I've been look and the long range accuracy bi-pods a little more money and weight. Not sure what to do?

Thanks, IanHusaberg
USSOCOM Barrett MRAD MK22 comes with a "lowly" Harris S series bipod for use with 308W, 300/338NM. SOCOM could have selected any bipod they deemed best. I've used Harris and Atlas bipods and Accu-Shot rear monopod on every MRAD caliber available, except 260Rem...went with 6.5CM instead, without any issues. Although, I shoot markedly better off my pack or various bags, especially with ears....enhanced stability. Bipods are prone to skittering on concrete, wood surfaces. I find better sliding recoil management on pack/bag. YMMV.

I was in EuroOptic today and Don Jr was there. He bought a Mark 22 with his dad's ranking as the serial number.

Reactions: 4thGenCowboy
I looked for 140 before I got the kit, but didn’t see an available option, it will still come in handy. I looked at seekonk and it would be $299 for just a T handle, so the kit with multiple limiters and bits is a good deal it would probably cost 4-500 to piece together.

I’d definitely pay for a non rotating QD mount, I just put on a 45 degree QD mount from the top rail, it does the job since the side mount doesn’t work very well. With side mounted WD the rifle wants to dig into everything it touches due to rotational force. the 45 degree QD is almost as good as have a top 0 degree QD. I’m considering getting another to mount behind the scope and forgo the stock cups.

I’ve been doing stationary shooting, but playing with being able to carry it around in the woods. So far getting it to be as comfortable as an AR, is challenging. I went from a vtac padded sling to a tabgear prs aling and the cobra mounts are both uncomfortable and a bit noisy.

Trial and error I guess.
The MK22 FixItStick kit including the 140in-lb limiter is available on Barrett site Store for "only"$299. :) :) Just received my MK22 Deployment Kit. Was glad to find the FixItStick kit included rather than the original click torque wrench. (I heard it was a Snap-On.) Very happy with MK22 out of the box.

Hey guys, appreciate all the good info here. I’ve got a custom 300wm barrel coming and trying to source a bolt, anyone know how to find one short of buying a whole conversion kit from Barrett?
Vheckout the Barrel Makers Kit on Barrett Store at $425. Has bolt head, barrel extension and parts needed, except barrel blank, for gunsmith making special barrel.

Reactions: heron163
Choosing between fluted/non-fluted for 300NM, is there an accuracy difference between the two config?
Kevin Owens on the USSOCOM MK22 MRAD selection team has stated that there is no accuracy difference between heavy and fluted....only a slight weight savings and possibly faster cooling from fluted.

Reactions: zzilu
Anyone that has .338 LM, which do you prefer? The 20", 24" or the 26"

I'm looking to purchase a conversion and I'm curious if the stability and maneuverability of a shorter barrel is the way to go. Interested in what everyone else has/ thinks.
Guess you aren't going to be clearing structures with it??? MRAD is for place shooting, not a lightweight mountain packing rifle. So get the longer barrel and take advantage of all the muzzle velocity available. SOCOM chose 27" for 338NM; 26" for 300NM; and, 20" for 308W, as a training caliber they can use at any range facility, and for shorter range applications. I always prefer longer barrels.......chose the 26" in 338LM for that reasoning. No regrets. A little barrel heavy, but off a pack/bag/bipod no issue.

Just bought my MRAD in 300-WM (24" Fluted) ... should have it in a few days. I have a (probably) stupid question, but I'm a MRAD "Newbie" so don't punish me too badly.

I want to also procure and shoot with a 6.5-CM barrel. I'm reading stuff about "short breach" and "long breach" ... with 300 and 338 apparently in the "long breach" category. My question is this (for you multi barrel MRAD mavens) ... With a 300-WM base configuration, is the barrel conversion kit (barrel, bolt-head, mag) all I need to shoot 6.5-CM, or do I need a new bolt (or something else) to go between 300-WM and 6.5-CM barrels?
Are you possible confusing "long/short breach" with "small/large diameter breach". Very early MRADS (maybe <1100 S/N...slab sided receiver in front of mag well area)) had large diameter breach requiring cross slotting of the barrel extension for clamp bolt clearance. All newer s/n are small breach without cross slotted extensions. Those very early large diameter bolts need a breach conversion kit to use all later small breach barrels. Otherwise, if newer s/n. caliber conversion kit includes barrel, bolt head and one correct magazine. ...all you need.....except 140in-lb torque wrench/limiter. There are four families of mags......A, B, C, and now D. 6.5CM (as well as 308W, 260REM) is C; 338LM - A; 7MM REM -B; 300/338NM - D. Forget what 300WM - A...as I recall .

New kit I picked up this weekend.

View attachment 7181617
Looks like your Deployment Kit may feature the "click style" torque wrench...in th Multi-Cam pouch? Just received mine,and was pleased that it included the updated FixItSticks Kit. My torque kit is FDE zippered about the size of my palm. My caliber conversion barrels had the bolt heads loose and embedded into the foam at the end of the barrel slots. Barrett needs to work with a knowledgeable Package Developer. Doubt they did any vibration or drop testing. Although UPS is a great destructor, they are nothing compared to a young Marine down range. Fortunately, Barrett MK22 now stamps the caliber on both the bolt head and, of course, the barrel, so they were easily re-matched. Not so on civy models.

Hey guys you may want to look at this bipod. I know it’s pricy but works great..

SOCOM says the Harris S-series is good enough for down range..... :) :) :)

I zeroed it last weekend when the rain actualy stopped and of course there has been dry firing practice laying in the floor at my house lol

I would assume a .300 PRC would be fine with a good .300 wm can... It is kind of just a hot hand loded 300wm and less than a 300 NM
There is a lot of differences between 300WM and 300PRC. Hornady designed the 300PRC to address shortcomings/limitations in other existing 300 cartridges.
30 caliber can works for 300WM and 300PRC. USSOCOM actually uses a 338 can for both their MK22 cartridges 300/338NM....and the 308WIN. Uncle Sugar says, "One size fits all is good enough nfor young Jarheads down range."

Hornady .300 PRC (left) and .300 Win. Mag.

One disadvantage of 300WM is the belted case and head spacing on the rim. PRC shoulder head space is more consistent. Also, throat on WM is 0.315 versus 0.3088 on PRC....resulting in PRC presenting bullet to rifling much more consistently for improved consistency....Consistency is King in long range shooting.One of 300WM biggest disadvantage is a quite short 0.72-inch “head height,” which is the distance between the front of the case mouth and the cartridge’s SAAMI maximum overall length. Ammo factories must load to this standardized maximum, which prevents factory ammo from being loaded with long, super-sleek bullets with the very fine, gradual entry that so benefits extreme-range aerodynamics. In contrast, the .300 PRC is engineered with the latest cutting-edge cartridge design principles, and features a 1.12-inch head height, enabling the use of very long, low-drag projectiles without intruding inside the case. (You’ll find this is a common thread throughout most of the following comparisons.) As an aside, custom rifle makers have been circumventing the head-height issue with the .300 Win. Mag. by chambering it in true magnum-length actions that allow handloaders to seat long bullets at optimum lengths. However, these rifles require handloading to realize full potential. That’s not to say that the .300 Win. Mag. is not a superb hunting cartridge. It is, and the ready availability of a vast spectrum of various loads and rifles makes gives it outstanding versatility. WM takes a Long action; PRC requires a Magnum action........MRAD accepts all due to large mag well and common overall mag size.

.300 Norma Magnum vs. Hornady .300 PRC

Now this one is interesting. In many ways, it does what the .300 PRC does, and does it even better. It’s optimized for use with very long, sleek bullets, and pushes them significantly faster than the PRC does. Yep, it’s spec’d with a plentiful head height, too. 300Norma has more taper which makes feeding and bullet presentation to rifling more inconsistent. Where this cartridge goes wrong is in the size of the case. It’s a necked-down .338 Norma, and although it blasts those bullets out with wicked speed, the cavernous capacity of that gargantuan case is too much of a good thing. It’s not efficient at all, meaning it burns copious quantities of propellant. There have been reports that is some loadings with steep down angle scenarios, the 300NM shifts powder forward leaving void at primer with inconsistent ignition and muzzle velocity/accuracy issues. SOCOM must have resolved this because new MK22 features the 300NM as one of the calibers in kit. NM has lots of recoil and muzzle blast. Worse, barrel life is short. ELR guys like to shoot, so poor barrel life is a significant problem. Also, the .300 Norma requires a really big action. It’s too much cartridge to fit inside most standard-size magnum bolt guns, and even if shoehorned in, you can only squeeze a couple of cartridges into the magazine. All things considered, the .300 PRC is a much more polite, civilized cartridge that is durned near as capable and offers far greater efficiency. And, that, folks, is why Hornady designed the 300PRC.

I know you asked this a while back, I've been gone for a bit and just saw it. Bore Tech made these a while back specifically to fit the MRAD. I don't know if they still do/have them or not but this one works great and fits perfect. Sorry about the shitty photography.View attachment 6949869
FYI, this bore guide is included in the MRAD MK22 Deployment Kit....actually two....one for 308W and 300NM; one for both the 338NM. Now available on Barrett Store. P/N 15041 = .30 cal; P/N 32390 = 338 cal. $65.00 each.

i wonder if Barrett would consider at least sell their barrel extension (i think kinda like what DTS is doing), so barrel makers can make barrels for the MRAD platform. Would make more popular. I'm sure they are a smaller company which mostly cater to militaries.

Would love to get a 6.5 PRC barrel. Maybe Proof Research can do a barrel since they make them for the MRAD? (minus the extension...proprietary).
MRAD Barrel Builder Kit at $425 is available on Barrett Store.....spin 'em if ya want 'em. Kit includes barrel extension, bolt head, extractor, ejector, etc....and an instruction card for the barrel maker/gunsmith. All to be added is the barrel of choice. Buy Maker Kit to fit desired caliber cartridge diameter to get correct bolt diameter.

Thats what I meant to say, no POI when changing barrels and coming back to the same cal. definite changes from 338 to 308 but back spot on when either are put back on.
When inserting barrel into MRAD, rotate the barrel to the left during torque sequence...it's a RH twist.....similar to pushing scope mount forward against picatinny rail when mounting scope to resist recoil. Rotating the barrel will reduce/eliminate shift. Consistency is King when shooting long range.

I hate the way Barret puts the foam in the case with the scope oppisit from the carry handle. It took me a half hour to rip the foam off all the glue they used to attach the foam to the case so I could reinstall it properly.
The case insert is specifically designed that way so the scope is "hanging/suspended" for no impact.

no, the 300 NM will load into the A marked mag but it will not function properly... ask me how I know;)

MRAD Barrel Builder Kit at $425 is available on Barrett Store.....spin 'em if ya want 'em. Kit includes barrel extension, bolt head, extractor, ejector, etc....and an instruction card for the barrel maker/gunsmith. All to be added is the barrel of choice. Buy Maker Kit to fit desired caliber cartridge diameter to get correct bolt diameter.

Thanks! Saw that a few months back

My deployment kit was the first shipped to EuroOptic, it didn't included the FixIt Sticks tool kit. I'd like to get that set with the 140 inch lb torque limiter or the limiter alone as I have 'The Works' kit from Fixit. Fixit is not selling the limiter by itself yet.

Looks like your Deployment Kit may feature the "click style" torque wrench...in th Multi-Cam pouch? Just received mine,and was pleased that it included the updated FixItSticks Kit. My torque kit is FDE zippered about the size of my palm. My caliber conversion barrels had the bolt heads loose and embedded into the foam at the end of the barrel slots. Barrett needs to work with a knowledgeable Package Developer. Doubt they did any vibration or drop testing. Although UPS is a great destructor, they are nothing compared to a young Marine down range. Fortunately, Barrett MK22 now stamps the caliber on both the bolt head and, of course, the barrel, so they were easily re-matched. Not so on civy models.

So through a fortuitous accident I was able to find a great deal on an MRAD. Basically, a new .308, 17" MRAD for $3500.

I'm going to reload for it but was planning on trying factory ammo as well. Has anyone had success with FGMM 168 or 175s? Its been a while since I've shot factory .308 but is that still the "go-to"?

Excited to join the cult.
The Federal 168 GMM shoot great out of my 22", it loves the M118LR 175 when you can find them.

I need a soft case for my MRAD, does anyone have pics of the soft case that comes with the Mk22 Deployment kit? Is the MRAD soft case available on the Barrett website the same one that is available with the Mk22?

Barrett Customer Service just confirmed that the MRAD Soft Case sold on the Barrett webstore is not the same soft case provided with the military deployment kit. They did say that the military case was made by Armageddon Gear.

For those who have been shooting small rifle primer rounds. Have you noticed any primer flow from the firing pin? Is the firing pin "small" or "large"?

Barrett Customer Service just confirmed that the MRAD Soft Case sold on the Barrett webstore is not the same soft case provided with the military deployment kit. They did say that the military case was made by Armageddon Gear.

Looks like its the one

I'll be purchasing an MRAD in the future and wanted to get an idea of lead time so I contacted Barrett customer service. I received an interesting reply that included information about the release of the M-LOK version.
" We currently don’t make a folding stock 300 PRC MRAD in OD Green. MRAD folding stock colors for commercial retailers are Tungsten Grey, FDE, and Black. However when the M-LOK MRADs come out there is a OD green option. The part number is 18966. Once released typical wait times are 4 to 6 weeks."
" There are hopes to release it this fall. We are using up all of the older style receivers first before we release the new product."

Thought it might be of interest to some here.

Looking for advice ...

I have MRAD barrel kits in 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 WinMag, and 338 Lapua. I love them all and shoot them regularly. The 6.5-CM is lights-out to 1,000 yards. The 300-WM gave me my first 1-mile bucket list shot a few months ago. The 338-L is a beast, but so much fun to shoot at our 1,800-yard local range, although I'm still learning to "tame that beast".

Here's my question ... If I decide I have the scratch to buy one more barrel conversion kit, which one should it be, and why?

Rustyinbend.....SHHHH....don't tell the whipper snappers what gettin' old is like. Let 'em find themselves....like we've had to. It's not the anticipated party, but it still beats the other alternative.......to date. :) :) :)
You know you're old ... when you take your 338-Lapua MRAD to the range, and experience enough recoil-induced joint cracks ... that you phone your Chiropractor on the way home and cancel your afternoon appointment.

I'll be purchasing an MRAD in the future and wanted to get an idea of lead time so I contacted Barrett customer service. I received an interesting reply that included information about the release of the M-LOK version.
" We currently don’t make a folding stock 300 PRC MRAD in OD Green. MRAD folding stock colors for commercial retailers are Tungsten Grey, FDE, and Black. However when the M-LOK MRADs come out there is a OD green option. The part number is 18966. Once released typical wait times are 4 to 6 weeks."
" There are hopes to release it this fall. We are using up all of the older style receivers first before we release the new product."

Thought it might be of interest to some here.

Awesome. Was hoping there would be MLOK versions without fixed stocks on the way.

Hey all, I have a used MRAD and case with a smattering of tools and kit bags that are missing certain items that I am trying to complete. Besides trying to score the 140 limiter like many, I am trying to track down WHICH model number the snap on torque wrench was / is. If anyone has the model number could you please paste it in reply?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Regarding bolt head/barrel match marking, Barrett MRAD/Bolt Armor Course, Don Cook recommends engraving matching marks/numbers in non-bearing locations to prevent mixing bolt head and barrels. The four digit codes on the bolt head and barrels appear to be day/month codes of when manufactured. They are matched for head space during assembly, but not finally match coded....up to user. Can't believe Barrett will continue this potential problem for military. Can't see grunt engraving his bolt head/barrel, but sure can see him mixing the components when downrange. It's an issue waiting to happen. Anyone viewed the components in the Deployment kit for match coding??? Can't believe military development team would have missed this.

MY ASR kit has these color coded markings with bolts and barrels.... oh wait... is this the Barrett thread? Sorry I belong in the AI thread. I’ll just excuse myself...