• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The NIGHTFORCE 2014 Steel City Precision Rifle Challenge- Birmingham, AL

I will have the wife with and we are actually both shooting the match.
We really are not experienced RVers yet as only picked up the travel trailer a couple of weeks ago.
So I just called Oak Mountain and got reservations. Thanks for the recommendation

Looking forward to the match and we will see y'all shortly.

Stuck way down here in Naples, Fl or "Yankee South" as we refer to it.
It is awesome to be able to say "Y'All" and everyone know what I mean!!!

My wife will be shooting the match as well but by her self since I will be on RO duties. This will be her first match ever but she's a good shot. I'm sure she will be glad to know there will be more females shooting as well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My wife will be shooting the match as well but by her self since I will be on RO duties. This will be her first match ever but she's a good shot. I'm sure she will be glad to know there will be more females shooting as well.

You should have the directors place your wife in our squad.
My wife this will only be her second match as she just shot the GAP Pro-Am a couple of weeks ago.
Maxine and Bill Nix.

I have her squaded with a buddy of mine in case she has questions he can answer them and it's a familiar face which will probably help calm the nerves.

I have her squaded with a buddy of mine in case she has questions he can answer them and it's a familiar face which will probably help calm the nerves.

Will please let her know if she needs anythng at all or has any questions we can assist with to search out the Vivacious Redhead from SW Florida.

Just a few quick notes:
As i make the final edits in the match book, i wanted to pass along some helpful information.

1. A pair of compact binoculars would be a good piece of kit to have. 8-10 power would be perfect. This will help you locate targets during stage briefings, and reduce the amount of questions. Keep in mind that being "on glass" while others are shooting will not be allowed.

2. Check and re-check your pack, what will be in it, and how you will manage your gear. Remember that the more organized you are, the more you can focus on actually shooting. Just like last year, we have limited down time planned for this match. Plan on eating and drinking fluids whenever you can throughout the day.

3. There are few prone shooting positions in this match, with many of the stages utilizing obstacles and props found in common "field/urban" shooting scenarios. Vehicles, natural props, out of windows etc. without giving it away, we want each of you to be thinking about how to approach these scenarios before the match.

4. Please be ready to shoot another stage, immediately after you finish shooting a stage in the same area. The ROs will help move you along.
All of this will be covered again in the safety briefing on saturday AM.

We all look forward to seeing everyone in a couple of days!
The weather looks great!

Guys/Gals,

I will be down for the competition this weekend. Very proud to sponsor and shoot in a match put on by such a good group of guys.

I've got room for a few additional targets in the car. If you need something please give me a heads up ASAP and I will bring it down for you. Obviously you would save shipping costs, but typically we can offer an additional 10% savings on top of that. When else are you going to get a product handed you by the owner of a company? :)

I am also bringing a few of our AICS/AW Magazine holsters. Hit me up on Friday if you want/need one to run during the comp. The mag holsters will be offered at 25% off of our retail pricing!

Those can be seen here... - Magazine Holsters

Looking forward to seeing you all in a few days.
-Ryan

Ryan, I'll take another AI holster for my wife who will be shooting in the match. I have one and a bunch of others but i think she wants to run yours. Multicam if possible. I'll be RO'ing so I'll find you sometime Friday or early Saturday morning.

Ryan,

Thanks for the support and, more importantly, for coming down to shoot with us! Looking forward to seeing you next weekend!

Ryan,

I was at the GAP Grind and picked up the Big Dog Steel Square targets from the prize table. I have a hostage IPSC target from another company, and I believe the hostage has Stockholm syndrome since he/she won't let go of the terrorist. Love the targets at K&M and wanted my very own reactive target (One that works!). The gift cert says I have to order online to use the certificate. Any chance you could pop my wish list into your vehicle and bring it to the Birmingham match?

Thank you for making such tough targets!

Maxine

This is just a suggestion. ..

About shooting order and to make things flow smoother and make sure there isnt a time wasted, how about we shoot the matches according to our shooter number?
The person who shot first the previous round shoots last on the next round. Does that make sense?
Previous match I was in I went first 80% of the rounds because no one was either ready or just didn't want to be first.

Ryan,

I was at the GAP Grind and picked up the Big Dog Steel Square targets from the prize table. I have a hostage IPSC target from another company, and I believe the hostage has Stockholm syndrome since he/she won't let go of the terrorist. Love the targets at K&M and wanted my very own reactive target (One that works!). The gift cert says I have to order online to use the certificate. Any chance you could pop my wish list into your vehicle and bring it to the Birmingham match?

Thank you for making such tough targets!

Maxine

Absolutely...Just shoot over an email with a screen shot of your order/wish list or tell me what targets you need. I will not have room for dueling trees and plate racks but should be able to carry just about everything else.

Thanks!

Is anyone in need pf a room mate if you are pm me would be willing to split hotel cost.

Will get it cleaned out bungle...We should have plenty of AICS/AW mag holsters. Also bringing a few for 308pmags and a few extra for glock 9mm/40 as well.

This is just a suggestion. ..

About shooting order and to make things flow smoother and make sure there isnt a time wasted, how about we shoot the matches according to our shooter number?
The person who shot first the previous round shoots last on the next round. Does that make sense?
Previous match I was in I went first 80% of the rounds because no one was either ready or just didn't want to be first.

No worries, I think you'll be pleased with the organization and flow of the match.

On a seperate but related note, we are completely full. Please do not send additional inquiries by pm or e-mail on that topic. The match directors will all be at the range the rest of the week putting the finishing touches on the stages and the range and we'll all have limited access to telephone and e-mail. Unless you have an urgent question, please ask it on Friday or on Saturday morning when you arrive at the range.

The weather forecast looks outstanding! We're looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend!

Eric I'm just glad to know you're shooting

Ditto! Eric, you've helped at so many matches, I'm glad you're going to be able to relax and shoot one!

We'll try to keep tabs on the Bammers vs Gators game Saturday afternoon. Does anyone smell upset? :)

All of the ammo is loaded and chrono'd, the rifles and gear are cased and ready to travel so its time to relax until Friday morning when i hit the road to 'Bama. Looking forward to meeting some new people and burning some powder....cheers

Last edited:
If anybody has a spare sling with flush cups, I would love to borrow it. Left mine at home.

Last edited:
Got you too huh...:)
Yea - it got me pretty bad...it's one of those beers where you say "yea I could drink 3 of those." And when you do you say to yourself, "shoulda had 1."

Yeah....had 2 of those over dinner at the Tilted Kilt while going over the match book. I noticed the more devious stages were authored by you as well. Looks to be a fun weekend....

Johns stages are really fun. Everyone should enjoy the match as a whole. Good luck everyone!

The NIGHTFORCE 2014 Steel City Precision Rifle Challenge- Birmingham, AL

I just want to say thanks to John Cutler from McRee's Precission, the sponsors, and everybody that helped run this comp. It was a fine mix of events so that new and experienced shooters were challenged and successful. Thanks to all the sponsors. I was able to shoot with Tod Litt from NF and he was a stand up guy and they have a great product as everyone here knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all the Steel city crew for a outstanding match and the R/O's. Also thanks to all sponsors and special thanks to Accurate Ordinance and Nightforce who both were very generous. As a side note, i spoke with Scott McCree( owner of McCree chasis) at the match and you can tell that he truly enjoys being a part of the shooting community and is as generous with his time and experience as he is with donating swag at matchs. So for that, i tip my hat to you sir. Thanks to all

First I'd like thanks to the guys and gals who put all of their own time into making this match great. The RO's were friendly, helpful and fair.The sponsors really went big. A huge thanks to Accurate Ordinance for the custom 308 rifle. Scott McCree was a sponsor and even worked at the stages. It was the best prize table I have seen for a rifle match. The match flowed well with very minimal down time and a good mix of stages. It was nice to see some buddies again and make some new friends. Hope you guys can have more matches at that great facility in the future.

-Bart

I'd like to give a giant THANK YOU! to the match directors, all the ROs and volunteer staff, and all the sponsors for their time and very generous donations! I'd also like to thank all the competitors for making it fun, safe, and enjoyable for everyone. I had a blast shooting with everyone, and will be looking forward to it again next year! (as an RO :) ) The scissor lift stage was awesome, hope to see that again and whatever devious course of fire John comes up with for it next... If you didn't make it to this match, you missed out!

It was a good match. thanks to everyone who helped put it on, we had a lot of fun but most of all Congrats to toygunner for the win, great shooting Bart

Awesome match . congrats to the top shooters. big thanks to RO's who made this match possible. thanks to the sponsors who really donated a huge prize table. This match was a challenging and fun course of fire....to bad i shot like crap with so many good shooters around. but fun was had by all. see ya again next year.

Just sent the final scores out to everyone in a PDF.

Thanks for coming to shoot the 2014 Steel City Precision Rifle Challenge! We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible join us for future matches. Congratulations to Bart and all the top finishers and thanks to everyone for their patience as we tabulated the final scores. We look forward to feedback in order to make the next one better. Let us know what you liked and we'll do our best to give you more of it.

Thanks again to all the RO's who supported the match. We had over 30 RO's help out over the weekend. The event would simply not have been possible without them and their hard work.

I'd like to give a giant THANK YOU! to the match directors, all the ROs and volunteer staff, and all the sponsors for their time and very generous donations! I'd also like to thank all the competitors for making it fun, safe, and enjoyable for everyone. I had a blast shooting with everyone, and will be looking forward to it again next year! (as an RO :) ) The scissor lift stage was awesome, hope to see that again and whatever devious course of fire John comes up with for it next... If you didn't make it to this match, you missed out!

Oh, I've got you inked in to help next time Chad:) Sorry again about the boo boo but we'll get you all squared away.

If someone took a picture of the scissor lift in action and wouldn't mind posting, I'd appreciate it. When John first tells me about his stage ideas, I sometimes wonder but everyone seems to really like them!

Here is a video of the "scissor lift" on the 'Max Ordinance' section of stage 2 . Pardon the Crackberry quality...not sure what's up with the sound. Sounds like he is shooting a suppressed nerf gun...and his rifle wasn't even suppressed. Anyway, best/most fun stage I ever shot...Stage 2 was the most fun overall IMO. Great job Cuckler...

Thanks to everyone both RO'ing and shooting. Great group of people-all.. and made the long drive more than worth it. Will be back next year with the Hubble Telescope on my rifle so I can see those "Smiley Faces".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Vuqclbv2g

Thanks for posting that^^^

No need to bring a Hubbel next time. The smiley's will be closer if we include them:)

Last edited:
Thanks for a great match. Not sure I've ever seen a prize table with that much depth. Thanks to the sponsors. I really didn't have a stage I didn't enjoy. I
Like the mix of pistol thrown in with the rifle. Id shoot a spring and a fall two day match with you guys. I'll plan to bring more people next time. Thanks again,
T

Thank you guys for the awesome match and all the time spent putting it together. It was a blast and is on the calender for next year.