• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision The Official: Steiner C35 Thermal Clip-on Review and User Thread!

Armasight has the Jockey which is a 640 unit with a 17 deg FOV and they are starting things off at $3500 so that is probably where they need to be.

Looks much lighter / and compact which is awesome. I hope they don't compromise on durability (308 rated at least). Looking forward to hearing reports from SHOT 2024

ETA: the German's get the info first! https://www.steiner.de/en/nighthunter-c35/8700000105

460g (16 oz), 12.5 deg FOV (sounds like 640 sensor), HD screen (1280x768), 3,000 euro which is pretty close to $3,000!
I thought I heard the Jockey was rated for 5.56/.223.

Reactions: rlsmith1
I take it you guys are talking about Gen 1 units. I'm hopeful that the Gen 2 units are rated for the same recoil (they say it is rugged on their website so I'm sure it is)

Reactions: stefan73
I take it you guys are talking about Gen 1 units. I'm hopeful that the Gen 2 units are rated for the same recoil (they say it is rugged on their website so I'm sure it is)
Nightrider.jpg

Yes, it is heavy BTW.

• Haha
Reactions: rlsmith1
Pulled from the gen 2 manual below. 640 sensor with 12.5 deg FOV so 53.3 pix/deg, not bad at all. Just wonder if its still a chinese core.

1698955970546.png

Reactions: Tall Pine
The new unit looks to be scope objective mounted vs picatinny which is a major con. Hopefully that's just the European "cant be mil related" variant
Don't worry, that might not mean anything. The Gen 1 was also only available in Germany as an objective mounted clip-on. So there could very well be different versions for different markets.

Can someone briefly explain what Core the gen1 had and how much better the 640 Core is? And what would a newbie looking through it notice as the difference? Is it better resolution, more color, more zoom or FOV? Thx

Can someone briefly explain what Core the gen1 had and how much better the 640 Core is? And what would a newbie looking through it notice as the difference? Is it better resolution, more color, more zoom or FOV? Thx
Gen1 is 640 with their "quantum vision" core. Not sure if they have updated/changed the actual sensor for the Gen 2. Core resolution is the resolution of the sensor, higher=better.

I have a Gen 1 C35 and I love it besides the weight.

Reactions: Tall Pine
The weight of the Gen 2 is listed as 460 grams, so that is a significant reduction compared to Gen 1.
Sensor resolution and pixel pitch have stayed the same 640x512 @ 12 um, but NETD has decreased, supposedly below 30mK now (50mK for Gen 1).

Like @tam4511 said, higher = better for thermal cores. However, the lens that is used also makes a difference (and directly impacts field of view). With thermals, you are trying to balance resolution with field of view. For example, a 640 core can be used with a 35mm lens (like the C35) for a 12.5 degree FOV, or the same 640 core can be used with an 18mm lens (like the NOX18) for a 24.3 degree field of view. The same 640 sensor could be used with an 83mm lens and have a 5.3 degree FOV. Of course, the narrower field of view gives you better viewing range at the expense of how much area you can see.

As you can tell, the larger the lens, the narrower the field of view. In the example above, the sensor was the same size (640), but a different sensor size would yield different results. In ballpark numbers, a 320 core will have half the field of view as a 640 core with the same lens. Pixel pitch can also impact the overall size of the sensor which changes the size of the lens needed to achieve a given FOV (a smaller pixel pitch allows for the use of a smaller lens to achieve the same FOV).

Hopefully that is more helpful than confusing

Thanks fellas. Appreciate the quick education. I found the following article explaining the importance of lower NETD values. It has pics of a <35 and a <50 example. Pretty big difference in thermal detail.

Google says that's approx $3273

And now we know it will come in a clip on format, not objective mounted

I'm thinking that is still just the Euro model. Can't imagine they would replace the original that sold so well in USA without the clip on rail mounting. That would be a huge fail for this market.

I'm thinking that is still just the Euro model. Can't imagine they would replace the original that sold so well in USA without the clip on rail mounting. That would be a huge fail for this market.
Definitely, when the gen1 first came out it came with a bell mount

I emailed Steiner asking about any known ETA for the C35 gen 2 release in the US. This was their response.

"Unfortunately we do not have an ETA
Thank you for contacting Steiner Technical Support."

Reactions: mikefraz
Where can I find adapters for different sized objective lenses for mating up to the C35?

Those for sale now are only in Europe.

I have no experience with these (yet) but from what I've read you are waaay better off to cool your jets and wait for them to come to the USA market when they are expected to have the standard rail mount. I think thats what happened when the first iteration came out. Euro first, then to the USA with the rail mount.

So I know this is discontinued but I have seen a few for sale.
By now I'm sure someone has got a decent amount of hunting hours behind this, what is your final opinion?
I'm deciding between this or a dedicated thermal
such as a AGM ( in the price range).

Don’t own one personally, but my two main hunting buddies run them. Solid piece of kit, especially for the ExpertVoice deal they got them for. Heavy. Image is damn good though out to 300.

Reactions: warnera1102
Don’t own one personally, but my two main hunting buddies run them. Solid piece of kit, especially for the ExpertVoice deal they got them for. Heavy. Image is damn good though out to 300.
Are you saying its good for identifying out to 300?

I can’t speak to collimation or return to zero as I didn’t test those abilities. But I did test on a particular cool evening and was able to definitively place crosshairs on an adult male (human) at 800 yards.

IF the return to zero is solid, 800 yard shots are possible with this unit under fairly favorable conditions.

That “if” is significant, but it’s impressive none the less.

Do y'all find that any other 640 thermals, under $10k, have substantially better PID capabilities?

Every 640 BAE core thermal under 10K has substantially better PID. But if you’re talking clip-ons, this is definitely the price/performance value king.

The Bering clip-ons have excellent image performance but are slightly more expensive.

The Theon units sell used for under 10K (except the ELR) and beat the Steiner’s image… if you’re willing to gamble with that company.

Reactions: tam4511
Every 640 BAE core thermal under 10K has substantially better PID. But if you’re talking clip-ons, this is definitely the price/performance value king.

The Bering clip-ons have excellent image performance but are slightly more expensive.

The Theon units sell used for under 10K (except the ELR) and beat the Steiner’s image… if you’re willing to gamble with that company.
Thanks! The C35 is my first and only thermal so far. So I'm not well versed on performance differences.

I got a chance to buy a new C35 Geb 1 for 1900 $. Is that a good price and is it still worth it?

My original plan was to save up for another few months and get a Pulsar Krypton.

Reactions: mikefraz
I used the Steiner and a Krypton 2 50 mm Clipon for the last 2 weeks extensively.
Both are used with a Buris RT6 and Rusan Modular Adapters.
Both are quite nice for identification of wild boar and roe deer.
The latter I’m not allowed to shoot with it though (local regulation).

The Steiner eats up batteries like crazy though. I don’t get more than 2 - 3 hours of use out of one.

I've been designing/testing the beta versions of a mount adapter that adapts the S35 mounting system to an ADM mount. Other than moving everything forward to bias the scope to the front of the ADM mount, I think I've got everything else figured out. I've used my prototype a few times now and everything seems to work nicely.
I've been using xometry to get my one-off parts. If anyone knows of a shop that can make these for a decent price, let me know. I'm tired of paying 200$ a piece after 3 or 4 iterations.

Attachments

• 20231114_205205.jpg
    20231114_205205.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20231114_205143.jpg
    20231114_205143.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20231114_205201.jpg
    20231114_205201.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20231114_205129.jpg
    20231114_205129.jpg