• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision The Official: Steiner C35 Thermal Clip-on Review and User Thread!

Just got around to zeroing c35 today. Bought from another hide member. So I have a problem getting the c35 to keep the adjustments made in thermal. It will move day scopes reticle in the screen, w&e numders moves in the screen on thermal. Press menu button to save adjustments,goes to cancel/confirm screen, select confirm, press menu button and it returns to the A B C screen. Ok think it saved adjustments, fire at same target, shots place in previous groups, no adjustment. Go back in the c35 menu,check for saved adjustment sets and it shows the original settings before I moved to new settings. Tried this 3 different times and the settings are always back to same previous settings. Any thoughts? Would taking it back to factory reset fix this? Or am I missing a set in zeroing this thermal. I have several Pulsar thermals that I have setup one scope for several different rifles without issue. Any help welcomed.

Just got around to zeroing c35 today. Bought from another hide member. So I have a problem getting the c35 to keep the adjustments made in thermal. It will move day scopes reticle in the screen, w&e numders moves in the screen on thermal. Press menu button to save adjustments,goes to cancel/confirm screen, select confirm, press menu button and it returns to the A B C screen. Ok think it saved adjustments, fire at same target, shots place in previous groups, no adjustment. Go back in the c35 menu,check for saved adjustment sets and it shows the original settings before I moved to new settings. Tried this 3 different times and the settings are always back to same previous settings. Any thoughts? Would taking it back to factory reset fix this? Or am I missing a set in zeroing this thermal. I have several Pulsar thermals that I have setup one scope for several different rifles without issue. Any help welcomed.
Sounds like it could be an issue with the C35 and you may need to RMA it.
Have you tried using the Steiner App and see if it stores the values that way and then retains it in the C35 itself?

Downloaded app. What's the password for the c35 app? I'm using android if it matters. Thanks

On phone, turn on wifi but do not connect to anything.
Open Steiner app and connect to the thermal.
No password required.
Fwiw, it didn't work for my galaxy S9 but did work for my wife's Pixel 6

Make sure you are in the right menu
IIRC, there is a menu setting that looks a lot like the zeroing screen, but it's different.

Once the wifi and app started trying to connect. It must have done something, cause while trying to connect devices to zeroing adjustment screen held adjustments made while I tried previous procedures above. I got it zeroed to day sight now. Must be gremlins or something but it's good to gofor the moment. Thanks guys for the help. Will try it on another rifle sometimes this week

Reactions: twin_57_hound
Couldn’t see shit with RH25 as clip on in front ultrashort 3-20 or Mk5hd 3.6-18 so I was wondering if the C35 is a better option
Yeah 3x is nice behind the c35. I have a 3-18 t6xi and it works great with my c35 and so does my 3.5x acog.

I've put the C35 in front of IOR, Steiner, S&B, NF, Burris optics from 1x to 20x. Pixellation increases with magnification, simple as that. I find it usable at 10-12x and even higher than that but target distance and size are a factor. An 8" gong at 200m at 20x was in territory I'd call not entirely usable. At 10-12x totally fine if a little NES level pixellated.

Anyone having trouble streaming their C35 to their phones?
Yes, I can connect, view files and go to settings, but unable to stream live view. I've tried two different phones, uninstalling and reinstalling app, airplane mode, but wasn't able stream. Called Burris today without any resolution. Hopefully they'll come up with firmware fix soon.

Yes, I can connect, view files and go to settings, but unable to stream live view. I've tried two different phones, uninstalling and reinstalling app, airplane mode, but wasn't able stream. Called Burris today without any resolution. Hopefully they'll come up with firmware fix soon.
Agreed, the live streaming doesn’t work. I could zero the thermal, but it won’t live stream. I deleted & reinstalled the app. Hopefully, my zeroes are still saved on the thermal🙄

I've put the C35 in front of IOR, Steiner, S&B, NF, Burris optics from 1x to 20x. Pixellation increases with magnification, simple as that. I find it usable at 10-12x and even higher than that but target distance and size are a factor. An 8" gong at 200m at 20x was in territory I'd call not entirely usable. At 10-12x totally fine if a little NES level pixellated.
Good to hear. Can I get a quick lesson for the future? Is there an updated C35 that got released or is coming? Is the S35 supposed to be the replacement or could be used as a clip on?

Here’s the message

Attachments

• IMG_2379.png
    IMG_2379.png
    291.2 KB · Views: 17
Turning off cellular doesn’t effect anything. I removed the app & reinstalled it without effect as well. It would appear as though this is a Steiner app issue. Great…
Files & Folders is now also checked, but it still isn’t working. This blowz…

Last edited:
Thanks for trying. Do not update the app. Steiner has their head up their ass with this update. I just lost a few hours that I’ll never get back;)

Reactions: lou400a and Doogie
Here’s a response from Steiner:

Comments from Steiner Optics Support:

Hi Lou,

The new update must have broken the app. We are also are not able to stream.
We have forwarded this to our Engineers to get a fix started.

Hopefully they’ll have a fix shortly

• Haha
Reactions: Doogie
Good to hear. Can I get a quick lesson for the future? Is there an updated C35 that got released or is coming? Is the S35 supposed to be the replacement or could be used as a clip on?
S35 is a dedicated scope. H35 is handheld scanner. The C35 got discontinued pretty quickly. I suspect it was a loss leader with the mount they had to make for us. Too bad. Helluva unit.

EDITED to correct bad info. Had head up ass while posting.

Last edited:
Reactions: lou400a and RC556
Edit: I found that if I turned the unit off, then made the adjustment needed, it seemed to save the adjustment.

I have the S35 . My unit did the exact same thing. Trying to fine tune an adjustment, and it just refuses to save certain coordinates. I also had some other issues with the optic which led me to send it in. I was missing WAY more shots on critters than I should have been. Some of which should have been no brainer slam dunk shots. So after an outing and a few misses or poor hits I’d check my zero, and lo and behold it would be off a little bit, but sometimes it’d be dead on. So I got to the point where I’d zero the optic the night of a hunt, but I’d still have misses. One morning I was so pissed I removed the optic, triple checked everything on the rifle and optic for anything loose to cause the problems. I then mounted it on my 17 hmr and burned up about 350 rounds at 50 yards keeping detailed notes about each group. The magnification, impacts, coordinates of zero etc. I was able to shoot 1/4-3/8” 3 shot groups so the data was good. Doing all this I learned:

1. The PIP reticle and main screen reticle did not match up, AT native “1X” there was about 1.25” at 50 yards discrepancy.

2. The PIP did align perfectly with main reticle at “1.1x” and above,

3. It was a waste of time trying to use the zoom feature in the zeroing setting. If you chose anything other than the native magnification it would go stupid. This is where most of my ammo went. I couldn’t come up with any way to make it make sense. I ended up just zeroing it such as a typical rifle scope. Shoot a group, adjust it, shoot another group, adjust again, etc until it was perfect.

4. If I turned the unit off, then back on I would lose zero, SOMETIMES. This is where it got so frustrating and the lightbulb went off in my head as to why I was always missing. The unit always stayed “true” as in not wondering around while shooting. I was always able to stack a tight group throughout each session. But if I turned it off and back on, the new group would be as much as 2-3” away from the last group. I did this about 15-20 times. Turning it off and back on, firing 3 shot groups at same POA each time. By the end of that I had 6 (I think) very distinct POI’s. At 50 yards there was a nearly 6” grouping containing 6—1/2” groups of 8-10 shots per group.

Now if you consider I did this at only 50 yards in perfect atmospheric conditions, that equates to over 12” at 100 yards. Easily causing misses and terrible shots on coyotes and coons. Then add in a few shots taken at 2-250 yards and there’s almost no way to be able to make those shots.

I sent the unit in, and I was shipped a brand new (I think) unit. I mounted it to a 10/22 and repeated the same tests as above, I was satisfied, mounted it up to my .17 and has satisfactory results, mounted it up to .223 bolt gun, and was making first round impacts at 300 yards on 6” steel. Turning unit off between shots. I’m happy with the unit now and hopefully I cannot blame it for any misses in the futre.

Reactions: BurtG and jwramp
^at what price would you consider it a winner?

I missed on the original C35 and have forgotten about what the lowest street price of the original C35 was (not counting one off docounts/vendor specials). Anyone recall?

Reactions: stefan73
^at what price would you consider it a winner?

I missed on the original C35 and have forgotten about what the lowest street price of the original C35 was (not counting one off docounts/vendor specials). Anyone recall?
I think original pricing was about $5,000. Then Steiner had refurbs for $2,500. Then a price increase….now a refurb from battlehawk last month was $2999 or you can snag one second hand for $3,000

Really? I must be losing my memory, I thought I recalled these routinely going in the 2500 range NIB from vendors about mid-way through its lifespan as a regularly stocked item.

Armasight has the Jockey which is a 640 unit with a 17 deg FOV and they are starting things off at $3500 so that is probably where they need to be.

Looks much lighter / and compact which is awesome. I hope they don't compromise on durability (308 rated at least). Looking forward to hearing reports from SHOT 2024

ETA: the German's get the info first! https://www.steiner.de/en/nighthunter-c35/8700000105

460g (16 oz), 12.5 deg FOV (sounds like 640 sensor), HD screen (1280x768), 3,000 euro which is pretty close to $3,000!

Last edited: