• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The SIG 716I TREAD .308 may be the best AR-308 / AR-10 type battle rifle for the money.

What context? What does the box label say?

SIG has now advertised a few different base versions, some labeled "Patrol" and "Tread," a lot like Colt's "AR" and "Sporter." None would have been to the Indian military's specs as I don't think they sell a commercial that doesn't have the lower receiver QD sockets.

Reactions: Milf Dots
What context? What does the box label say?

SIG has now advertised a few different base versions, some labeled "Patrol" and "Tread," a lot like Colt's "AR" and "Sporter." None would have been to the Indian military's specs as I don't think they sell a commercial that doesn't have the lower receiver QD sockets.
If I knew from the start the 716 in question could be a Tread model I'd have ignored the conversation. SMH

Last edited:
If I knew from the start the 716 in question could be a Tread model I'd have ignored the conversation. SMH
This is the 716I Tread Thread and the question is in regards to different specs being used on the 716I. Is there a better place to post this question?

Many here pop in to give there two cents and then post some off the wall shit that just goes way over my head.... Makes me wonder why you would even take the time to click on this thread and post.

This is the 716I Tread Thread and the question is in regards to different specs being used on the 716I. Is there a better place to post this question?

Many here pop in to give there two cents and then post some off the wall shit that just goes way over my head.... Makes me wonder why you would even take the time to click on this thread and post.
I can appreciate that but you've got 3 threads on 3 forums with the same info. This is not arfcom and the general knowledge here from even avg posters exceeds all other boards imho. I only quoted 2 examples earlier but there were certainly other comments that were not educated. Asking questions is great, being an ill-informed buyer is not.

@RUTGERS95
I really appreciate all of the forum negative and positive feedback when on topic. The point of this thread was for the information because SIG doesn't put alot out when it comes to this gun and for some of us $1300 is still alot of money and we should be able to make informed decisions. Everything I've learned about this gun I learned from the boards, youtube and my own experiences. I don't think it's asking to much from SIG to clarify the Specs so current owners and future buyers will know what they have or what there getting themselves into, avoiding being ill-informed.

@RUTGERS95
I really appreciate all of the forum negative and positive feedback when on topic. The point of this thread was for the information because SIG doesn't put alot out when it comes to this gun and for some of us $1300 is still alot of money and we should be able to make informed decisions. Everything I've learned about this gun I learned from the boards, youtube and my own experiences. I don't think it's asking to much from SIG to clarify the Specs so current owners and future buyers will know what they have or what there getting themselves into, avoiding being ill-informed.
all good with me, tone doesn't come out in messages unfortunately. All that matters is if you are happy and being honest, looks like a nice rig.
I read the specs online for the Tread and don't see Nitride anywhere

Reactions: GLD1980
I've posted this information in 3 different forums and sent 3 seperate emails to 4 different SIG offices. Once I hear back I'll know how to proceed and I will post thier response to the boards in order to get out the right information.

Here's a copy of the email body below.

Team SIG,

I have several informational discussions online where the topic is specifically the quality and performance of the SIG 716I. The facts shared between fellow owners regarding build quality and gun performance have created a whirlwind of positive attention for the SIG and the 716I with the goal being sharing the information. New and seasoned enthusiasts alike have relied on the information shared and purchased 716I's. In order to ensure the end user has all the correct information and to also ensure I am not spreading erroneous information, I would like SIG's support to attain all the facts regarding the 716I for future discussions.

There has been some a long time confusion with the exact specs of the US SIG 716I Tread. Again, I wanted to ensure when I discussed the 716I, that I have my facts correct. Can you please list the manufacturing process, finishes and types of materials used to create the US market 716I Tread and any new generations of it and changes?
For example:
Is the Barrel Carbon Steel and Nitrided?
What is the Bolt Carrier made from and is it still Chrome Lined?
etc...

It was recently brought to my attention that newer models of 716I's may not have chrome lined Bolt Carriers. One owner specially mentioned calling SIG Customer Service and being told his Barrel and Bolt were Phosphated and not Nitrided, and that his Bolt Carrier was not spec'd to be Chrome Lined.

So at this point I'm very confused! A very thorough breakdown of how the 716I is built would really help out. What metals are used and why? How it's tested or inspected? What finishes are used and why? Also if there was a change in the quality of materials used can you explain why?

While you're at it, since it wouldn't be FOIA-obtainable unless it is a Foreign Military Sales case, what the exact Indian Army rifle specs are -- that way when you argue/discuss the differences between the Real Deal and anything else, folks have a basis for discussion.

Sort of like knowing what the base window-sticker specs are for the M16 and M4 (so you can compare and contrast Colt commercial to anything else), without passing out / compromising intellectual property and prints.

• Haha
Reactions: Jsp556 and GLD1980
SIG 716I Email.jpg

I am glad SIG takes the time to address matters promptly. I responded with some additional questions regarding what may be considered gen1 716I's, which may be closer to the Indian Contract, and a gen2, which if I am correct is spec'd according to the email.
From what I've read, DLC Trump's most other finishes to include Nitriding and Chrome Lining in many areas if not all. So it appears this misunderstanding has only uncovered what is possibly a more refined SIG 716I. Many may argue but only range reports detailing accuracy and reliability will tell the whole truth.
There will definitely be more to follow.

Dan

Govt, not US? Hes lying so thats not good. Nitriding is harder on scale and nothing handles heat like cl including dlcAs said earlier, I'd just enjoy it but not at 1500 bucks for me

Patato Potato I guess. Personally until there are problems or issues I don't care TBH. Nitriding, DLC, Parkerized etc... They've all worked just fine so whatever. The gun is still the best value in the AR field for its price and the reason being is because it runs. Once we start having hiccups or major failures then the playing field will be even. Until then no matter how it tastes, respect should be given where respect is earned and right now amongst AR-308 and AR-10's, the 716I is a contender with a flawless track record thus far! March will be just about 3 years since inception and not only are SIG 716I's patrolling on the Indian Line of Control (LOC) against our shared enemies, they are entering more American Households and holding it down! For only $1249 lol!

This should be good news if SIG's barrels start out of good quality.

Nez Rongero machines and threads the barrels for the Texas State and Texas State Junior Rifle Teams as well as for a lot of Texas Army National Guard snipers.

He uses Shilen blanks (from here in Texas), and once he has barrels to dimension either ships direct or after break-in to be nitrided. One of his example rifles had over 10,000 rounds through it and was still shooting competitive scores at 600 yards when he pulled and sectioned it, looking for wear. Found minimal throat wear -- like a rifle with less than half its actual round count. This is an extract from the barrel's log book:

barrel log.jpg

@RUTGERS95
I trust SIG when it comes to finishes on firearms and durability of their firearms. They might fire unexpectedly but not looking amazing and staying amazing or lasting forever isn't their issue.
Could you possibly enjoy a 716I for $1249?
https://www.libertysportandpawn.net/products/rifles-sig-sauer-r716l-16b-trd-798681622207-4109
I purchased mine at Liberty Sport and Pawn and they shipped to Washington state fast. My 716I purchased from them is doing just fine. Just saying!
Lol, whatever they coated my P365xl with is practically wiping off :rolleyes:. My MCX Virtus is pretty dope though

Last edited:
I wore out a LW barrel in about 8900 rounds, it was stainless but I dont think it was the LW50 stainless though.

Lol, whatever they coated my P365xl with is practically wiping off :rolleyes:. My MCX Virtus is pretty dope though
I would send it in. Every now one slips the the cracks. Email the customer service rep directly.
[email protected]

Good luck. You payed and they warranteed their guns so let them refinish it. It may have had a poor application.

Reactions: DIBBS
I did not buy one to run suppressed……but after reading the comments that folks were having decent results from lower back pressure cans with no AGB I decided to try it with the Nomad 30. It ran fine. Brass was landing 2:30-2:45ish and only a couple pieces of brass had signs of wear.
My Nomad 30 has the Q Plan B adaptor for the Cherry Bomb so I was running one of those for the muzzle device. The CB does not require the Sig barrel taper adaptor.

Can anyone help me find out if the 716Piston and 716I lowers are cross compatible? I believe they are but I can't test the theory.

Thanks

Believe it or not, India actually has optics factories of its own. They make an Eotech and an ACOG/ELCAN type thing.
yes but the order excluded optics due to cost so that was the inference

Indian infantry at 7000 feet on the India - China Line of Control (LOC). Sig rifles, sniper rifle, M32 multi-shot rotary mag grenade launcher, and 84mm Carl Gustav recoilless rifle:.

h8wjlyroa9d81.jpg

Reactions: Milf Dots
@Kappes
That's good to hear. We look forward to hearing back from you and welcome to the club. If there's anything we may be able to help out with please ask. Take care.

Sounds good GLD1980 ! I will compare with other platforms for sure and be fair. Big fan of DMR's and AR10's. Had a Dutch AI AR10 with bakelite many years ago and have studied and used many versions of Ar10's for many years. Take care

Picked it up . Nice looking rifle! Fit and finish is outstanding. Can't wait to shoot it . Trigger is 12lbs ! I put a A2 grip on it and trigger upgrade coming. I will report back after shooting.

Picked it up . Nice looking rifle! Fit and finish is outstanding. Can't wait to shoot it . Trigger is 12lbs ! I put a A2 grip on it and trigger upgrade coming. I will report back after shooting.
dpms has nice fit and finish too lol

please don't start any review on fit and finish. go shoot it and report back, supposed to be good shooters!!!!!

It most certainly would not be a great shooter with the 12 LB trigger , hence the upgrade .
lol, reports are they are great shooters and reliable. I didn't say accurate hence the need for a better trigger. fit and finish guy i see

https://www.sigsauer.com/sig716-tread.html
This is my first AR-308/AR-10 type rifle and so far it has been reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. Build quality and finish are top teir. Online reviews and reports have confirmed the 716I is a quality shooter. Some owners and reviewers have suggested it is capable of running with the big names in the AR-308/ AR-10 pack. It is a serious best buy for the amount of features you get for its low price. It is also a frontline battle rifle with over 144,000 units currently issued by India to its Soldiers along the Line of Control with China and Pakistan.

This is definitely not an entry level rifle, but is it a top teir battle rifle?

So far I've shot 460rds of mixed match and military 7.62x51 & .308 through my SIG716I TREAD. It has been accurate and reliable. I lightened up the trigger with a JP Enhanced Ignition Reliability Spring kit which gave me a clean crisp 4.5lb pull. I also added a SureFire ProComp 7.62 Muzzle Brake and VLTOR EMOD stock. I went with Magpul grips and covers and chose the Pro Offset Flip-ups for BUIS. On top sits a Nikon M-Tactical 3-12x42SF MK1-MRAD scope in 30mm Aero Precision Ultralight SPR mount.
View attachment 7637942

I think your post is fantastic it concentrates available information in one spot provides details on your own personal upgrades and helped me not have to hunt around for everything.

Buddy and I each ordered one each today. $1425 each from local dealer. I Will report results. I have an LMT MWS and Scar 20s and Scar 17 as well. This thread made us order them !
Please let me know the accuracy results on the 716 I just purchase one because of this thread as well. just meeting 3 days ago From gun broker the seller offered give it a shot and I did.

I think your post is fantastic it concentrates available information in one spot provides details on your own personal upgrades and helped me not have to hunt around for everything.

Please let me know the accuracy results on the 716 I just purchase one because of this thread as well. just meeting 3 days ago From gun broker the seller offered give it a shot and I did.
@Thanos

Thank you. In my opinion you will not be disappointed with the 716I. It's a solid weapon that since inception has not skipped a beat. I love mine.