• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Welding and Metalworking Thread

You may want to look at a shop that can do EDM.
Thanks, I know the inner splines on the sprocket are the most difficult. I’ve talked with a few companies that do custom gears but everyone is 24-40 weeks out and their machines are running 24/7. Also, I don’t have a large quantity to offset setup costs.

Been trying for years to buy a Mexican to keep up the place (apparently you can't do that!). I particularly hate weed eating, and now at new place, especially along edge of pond where I can’t get to it w/ the mower. Introducing the -

Pond Juan MK I

Juan - get it (yuk, yuk) and MK just because MK anything sounds cool. Trial run went well but I need to keep looking for a wider deck (= MK II).

View attachment 7821368
Certainly looks like a Kubota.
I've got a L3430 and a 72" brush hog/mower deck I run, it runs off the rear and the PTO.
I just back up to the pond when it's too mushy, works well and I have never gotten stuck.
I got the brush hog off a farmers auction for $400 and it's not fancy, but it works very well.

BTW, be prepared to spend lots of time on those front wheel boxes and bearings.
I have had to go thru mine just about every other year.
It's pretty easy to do but the parts are NOT cheap.

L4630. I've got 6' bush hog but useless around pond given bank slopes.

No issues w/ front wheel boxes/bearings since new in 2004.

Since this is a metal working thread, thought i'd ask on here, like to get some opinions on a cutting torch maybe from guys using them for a living. Smith, Victor, or something else. Kinda leaning towards a smith. thanks

smith, mixes better at the head, =better cutting. was a pro for 30 years, went the "cheap" route early on in my career, only once.
that's what i've been reading, kinda why i was leaning that way. Thanks for the imput

Reactions: Pbgt
Picked a Jet horizontal bandsaw for the shop and the wheels as designed makes it a PITA to move around the shop so decided to make a mobile base with casters.

IMG_2214.JPG
IMG_2213_1.JPG
IMG_2215.JPG
IMG_2216.JPG

So, what I hear you saying is, you didn't want to learn how to 'drift' the corners, eh?

(I don't blame you) I too have done this very thing for this exact reason. As well, I have put wheels and castors on equipment only because they didn't have them to begin with, and my garage/shop is only so big and I/we need the space. When machines aren't being used, they gets stowed!

Good job, as well as 'job well done'.

Now, about that FANTABULOUS setup table you've got there, seeing as it's bulky and in-the-way I'll be a pal and take it off you're hands, for you. But only if you pay shipping.
;)

So, what I hear you saying is, you didn't want to learn how to 'drift' the corners, eh?

(I don't blame you) I too have done this very thing for this exact reason. As well, I have put wheels and castors on equipment only because they didn't have them to begin with, and my garage/shop is only so big and I/we need the space. When machines aren't being used, they gets stowed!

Good job, as well as 'job well done'.

Now, about that FANTABULOUS setup table you've got there, seeing as it's bulky and in-the-way I'll be a pal and take it off you're hands, for you. But only if you pay shipping.
;)
With the exception of a Powermatic 86 Bandsaw (1600 lbs) and Clausing 20" Drill press all of my equipment is on mobile bases. Lot more efficient and can easily move things around the shop. Siegmund mobile lifting table is awesome and makes fitting up sections a snap.

• Love
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Here is my 1970’s vintage Wilton - old, beat up, still works!
(Wish I had a nice new Jet....)

wiltonsaw copy.jpg

So I just finished prepping my deer guard and ready to weld in a few more gussets and join the top & bottom. This has been about a year in the making. Only parts I bought were the receiver & shackles. It will be painted with bed liner.

Attachments

• IMG_20220416_232653413_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220416_232653413_HDR.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20220416_232555904_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220416_232555904_HDR.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210818_180418_HDR.jpg
    20210818_180418_HDR.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 70
Just out of curiosity, what made you pick the Fronius tig?
I never paid much attention to Fronius until Roy Crumrine did a brief podcast on why he chose them. Peaked my interest and started to do some research which led to my purchase. Have a Diversion 180 and an Everlast 325EXT and will be selling the Everlast.

They seem to make nice equipment. My only experience with them is in automated tig systems. I was interested in one of their battery powered units, but the price was outside what I could justify.
I have been happy with the Alphatig 200 for lighter stuff and portable work. Its biggest drawback is lack of preflow of any kind.
Does that Fronius unit offer asymmetric current control ? Can you have 50 amps of cleaning and 130 amps of penetration?

They seem to make nice equipment. My only experience with them is in automated tig systems. I was interested in one of their battery powered units, but the price was outside what I could justify.
I have been happy with the Alphatig 200 for lighter stuff and portable work. Its biggest drawback is lack of preflow of any kind.
Does that Fronius unit offer asymmetric current control ? Can you have 50 amps of cleaning and 130 amps of penetration?
The machine really stands out on the AC side. You can select different waveforms for both DC- and DC+ when running AC and balance is fully adjustable as well as frequency. Pulse up to 1000/second. Both DC and AC arcs are very stable. The Fabrication Series on Youtube has a good review of the capabilities of the machine.

A thread as popular as this ought to have its own sub-forum here.

Reactions: XP1K
View attachment 7851929
View attachment 7851928View attachment 7851930

Progress on a trash truck I’ve been working on. This has not been super fun.
I can't imagine it has. Never welded in a trash truck but I have welded inside an incinerator in a dow facility. They burn all matters of waste from that facility and several others in the area. Its been rumored that the dea burns ceased drugs and other contraban in it. So some of the plant operators have said. Think of it as a giant garbage truck. That's been on fire.

Full ppe to go inside, fresh air, tyvek. Wrists and ankles taped up. Any tooling/equipment taken inside goes in the fire after the shutdown is over.

Fun job.

Reactions: camocorvette
The two in the middle were fun. Last night I was using a Lincoln ranger 305D which has a touch start setting. These machines are trash in my opinion but the one I had last night was a pretty good one.

I weld single hand so I'm at the mercy of what gets dropped off but just about all diesel machines we get now have settings for 60xx 70xx and touch start tig. Pretty nice feature. I'm not sure I could handle scratch start in a convection box lol.

I can't imagine it has. Never welded in a trash truck but I have welded inside an incinerator in a dow facility. They burn all matters of waste from that facility and several others in the area. Its been rumored that the dea burns ceased drugs and other contraban in it. So some of the plant operators have said. Think of it as a giant garbage truck. That's been on fire.

Full ppe to go inside, fresh air, tyvek. Wrists and ankles taped up. Any tooling/equipment taken inside goes in the fire after the shutdown is over.

Fun job.
Luckily this truck crushes mostly stuff like old office furniture but it still isn’t super clean in there. I’m stopping by the store to get some disinfectant spray for all my tools today. I stripped down to my drawers before I got in my truck on Friday.

Reactions: Maxwell
Ibe done repair work on dumpsters and dump trailers. Anything that has dump In the name, or visits a dump in any fashion is usualy pretty gross.

Luckily this truck crushes mostly stuff like old office furniture but it still isn’t super clean in there. I’m stopping by the store to get some disinfectant spray for all my tools today. I stripped down to my drawers before I got in my truck on Friday.
Having a couple tyveks around would be handy for a job like that.

You do independent rig welding work ?

Here's a heater we did back in January. They're tiny heaters. I hate working on them. Full retubes are bad enough but when you start wacking tubes out at random through the middle it gets real exciting. I made the top weld, another guy made the bottom. Bottom busted so they had to cut mine out to repair his. 617 inco filler.
20220108_204832.jpg
20220108_204902.jpg

This one was a while back. 20" 2¼ chrome, 2½" wall. Took three shifts to weld out. We were supposed to fill/cap with stick but the rods were no good. Got porosity like mad so we ended up going tig all the way out!

This job I had a miller big blue 500. I'm starting to prefer the big blues to the Lincoln vantage or rangers because the miller's will give you everything they have on lift arc tig. The lincolns max out about 255 on the tig setting. I had the big blue sitting comfortably at 335 amps on this one. About half way out in the pics.
Screenshot_20220419-030314_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220419-030304_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220419-030259_Photos.jpg

Anybody weld in the DFW area? Looking to get a roll cage kit welded into a track car im starting a build on.

Having a couple tyveks around would be handy for a job like that.

You do independent rig welding work ?
Yes I do. I mostly do new construction structural/misc steel work, but will do repairs and other little work to fill in gaps.

Tyvek suit would actually be pretty nice there, will there burn up with 7018/6010 raining down on them?

This one was a while back. 20" 2¼ chrome, 2½" wall. Took three shifts to weld out. We were supposed to fill/cap with stick but the rods were no good. Got porosity like mad so we ended up going tig all the way out!

This job I had a miller big blue 500. I'm starting to prefer the big blues to the Lincoln vantage or rangers because the miller's will give you everything they have on lift arc tig. The lincolns max out about 255 on the tig setting. I had the big blue sitting comfortably at 335 amps on this one. About half way out in the pics.
View attachment 7852622View attachment 7852623View attachment 7852624
I’m assuming y’all are running water cooled torches for all that, that’s a ton of heat. Do you ever have to stop and let the pipe or your gear cool down running that hot for so long?

I have a 400 amp stinger and even running 160 amps for 10 min straight it gets pretty damn hot

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Yes, I too am guessing that you're running a water-cooled torch. That is an insane amount of puddle-walking. Good on ya' though.... maybe one day I'll be half-as-good.

Yes I do. I mostly do new construction structural/misc steel work, but will do repairs and other little work to fill in gaps.

Tyvek suit would actually be pretty nice there, will there burn up with 7018/6010 raining down on them?
The white tyveks won't outright catch on fire lol but they will get holes in them pretty quick from sparks and slag.

They make an fr version that has a heavier more paper feel to it. They do pretty good with the fire but they tear easy. If I'm doing a lot of stick or gouging I wear my fr sleeves over them.

View attachment 7852622View attachment 7852623

100% That pipe has more weld in it than I've put down in the 5 years I've been dicking around with welding. Impressive!

• Haha
I’m assuming y’all are running water cooled torches for all that, that’s a ton of heat. Do you ever have to stop and let the pipe or your gear cool down running that hot for so long?

I have a 400 amp stinger and even running 160 amps for 10 min straight it gets pretty damn hot
Water cooled rigs would be nice but unfortunately no. That was done with my weldcraft 200amp red head and a ck worldwide superflex 12' power cable. We didn't let up too much. One guy that was on it was using his 180 weldtec rocker rig. It survived the whole job. In fact, it's still going a year later.

The weldtec rockers are solid rigs. I got three years out of my first one. And I'm not kind to them. It sees 250 amps on a regular basis. Main things are not dropping stuff on them, keeping people from walking on them and not unplugging then when they're smoking hot.

Water cooled rigs would be nice but unfortunately no. That was done with my weldcraft 200amp red head and a ck worldwide superflex 12' power cable. We didn't let up too much. One guy that was on it was using his 180 weldtec rocker rig. It survived the whole job. In fact, it's still going a year later.

The weldtec rockers are solid rigs. I got three years out of my first one. And I'm not kind to them. It sees 250 amps on a regular basis. Main things are not dropping stuff on them, keeping people from walking on them and not unplugging then when they're smoking hot.
That’s super surprising. I don’t understand how that torch doesn’t get too hot to hold in short order.

And I guess I’ll post some weld pics of a quick repair I did today on a gate. And one from the last time I worked on it because I’m a goober and like to lay down pretty welds on shit that doesn’t matter. It was satisfying to get a whole joint on thin old 14ga tubing with 1/8 6010 without that one spot that blew through to ruin it
C633081D-C891-4C3A-9EEA-9E4071F95A0A.jpeg
EA3B17B1-5F15-424C-9863-6A798F5DD1E0.jpeg

100% That pipe has more weld in it than I've put down in the 5 years I've been dicking around with welding. Impressive!
That's one of two. It was about an 8' piece we replaced. We burned 50lbs of 5/32 tig wire on one shift. I can't remember if that was between all four of us or if that was just me and my brother in law. Either way it's a boatload of wire.

IMG_20220430_103646.jpg
IMG_20220430_103708.jpg

This is what we are working on now. Well, I say we but I do the thinking and my nephew does the lifting and welding since my surgery.
I took an old fertilizer spreader and I'm converting it into a live bottom hopper for my wood shaving bale business we are starting.
Getting closer boys.
I need to make and hang a elevator, conveyor next