• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Welding and Metalworking Thread

Any of you guys use a suitcase welder? Looking at one for work when traveling and to use with my xmt304. Mainly looking to speed stuff up on the jobsite so I don't have to work out of town any longer than I have to. I like stick welding though, here is a mount system for a road grinder head box I installed today. They originally welded in solid and I regret forgetting my air arc at home. Torches suck for that type of work. I will try to get a picture of what I cut out and replaced it with.View attachment 7100937

Well I'm gonna have to buy one of those wire feeders. Welded on heavy structural steel all day. That dual shield blows 7018 out of the water. We were welding 24" stiffiner plates into WF beam. I was using the wire feeder, other guy was burning 7018. I could weld 2 of them completely up in the time it took him to weld 3/4 of one.

look on craigs list dude, i see them here all the time, make sure you get the solenoid with it.
you cant go wrong. its a very good decision

Any of you guys use a suitcase welder? Looking at one for work when traveling and to use with my xmt304. Mainly looking to speed stuff up on the jobsite so I don't have to work out of town any longer than I have to. I like stick welding though, here is a mount system for a road grinder head box I installed today. They originally welded in solid and I regret forgetting my air arc at home. Torches suck for that type of work. I will try to get a picture of what I cut out and replaced it with.View attachment 7100937
The old Lincoln's were great. We have 3 or 4 of the vs series from Miller. There good we only use them for heavy continuous stuff during installs. We rumm the mm200 alot

Some nomenclature to help with new welders.
image.jpg2_zpsk0spijlv.jpg

I’ve started doing just that.

I’m going to throw this out there and see if someone on the hide wants to give me a bit of assistance.

I need some aluminum angle welded up into a carmeled apple display case frame and rails. I’d do it myself but I don’t do aluminum on the road and figured someone with some pretty tig skills might hook a brother up. I’d pay for everything and shipping of course. It’ll be small cabinet sized.

If someone might be interested, I’ll throw together a drawing.

I’ve started doing just that.

I’m going to throw this out there and see if someone on the hide wants to give me a bit of assistance.

I need some aluminum angle welded up into a carmeled apple display case frame and rails. I’d do it myself but I don’t do aluminum on the road and figured someone with some pretty tig skills might hook a brother up. I’d pay for everything and shipping of course. It’ll be small cabinet sized.

If someone might be interested, I’ll throw together a drawing.

Pm sent.

Anyone have tips for stick welding thin, rusted/worn out shit? I've been patching old bulk tank trailers that should probably be in the scrap yard not being repaired lol. I patched a hole the other day and just using a wire brush on a grinder flaked off rust scale and cause a new hole that I didn't see if that gives you an idea of what I'm dealing with. I heard hooking the leads up electrode negative will cut down on penetration but never tried it, anyone do that before? I also had my first experience welding with water dribbling out and that was a real shit show.

Knock the flux off of a rod and feed it into your puddle like a tig rod. Works ok sometimes, so does laying a couple of the rods down over the joint and burning through them. Neither will give great results but you aren't going to get great results welding thin rusty steel no matter what you do.
THIS is what I/we used to call "Ukranian TIG Welding" and it will 'get you by' in a crunch, but that's only until you have the time/materials to DO THE JOB RIGHT.

Lipstick on a pig,,,,, ya know?

GTAW with with foot pedal and high frequency or install a lap patch. Otherwise like DaveinCo said “Mexican Heliarc” but try down hill.

THIS is what I/we used to call "Ukranian TIG Welding" and it will 'get you by' in a crunch, but that's only until you have the time/materials to DO THE JOB RIGHT.

Lipstick on a pig,,,,, ya know?

These trailers are junk, they need to buy new ones. These are dry bulk trailers converted to be used with water and slurry, if I had to guess they were wore out when they bought them. I know they won't spend money to repair anything correctly, I had to put a used muffler on the other day that wasn't even for this machine.
Had to cut pipe off the old muffler and weld to the other old muffler to make it long enough ?‍♂️ The one I worked on yesterday looked decent other than a few cracks and it was too thin to try to weld vertical up. Here is what I am dealing with on the one with a hole. I really like what I do but hate working on junk shit.

20190626_115651.jpg

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
These trailers are junk, they need to buy new ones. These are dry bulk trailers converted to be used with water and slurry, if I had to guess they were wore out when they bought them. I know they won't spend money to repair anything correctly, I had to put a used muffler on the other day that wasn't even for this machine.
Had to cut pipe off the old muffler and weld to the other old muffler to make it long enough ?‍♂️ The one I worked on yesterday looked decent other than a few cracks and it was too thin to try to weld vertical up. Here is what I am dealing with on the one with a hole. I really like what I do but hate working on junk shit.

View attachment 7105349
I spent 20 years doing repairs like that on barges and tug boats. It is a royal pain. On the decks of our crane barges, many times because the metal was so thin and rusted I would need a full sheet of plate and just weld from seam to seam. That's what I would do with this repair. Cut a piece of stock to cover that rust spot, shape it to fit , and weld it in. Save yourself a lot of aggravation.

You should see the state of some of the trucks when we buy them!! Sandblast, paint and some good service $$$ and they last us quite a few years

Reactions: Barneybdb
I was building a off-road buggy and was welding the bottom of the overhead roll cage. It was summer in Texas and I wear shorts most of the time. But, I put on a pair of old jeans that I torn the crotch in, to protect my legs from slag burns. Well, I was focused on my weld when I smelled something burning??? I took off my helmet and looked down at my crotch and the frayed jeans were on fire! I jumped out of the buggy into the driveway and dramatically started putting out the fire with my hands.... After I got the fire out, I saw my neighbors wife (who is an ER nurse) laughing hysterically at me “slapping my flaming crotch!”

This was probably 12 years ago and we still laugh about it...

And the reason I still think it is funny.... Is that I did not get burned!

I was building a off-road buggy and was welding the bottom of the overhead roll cage. It was summer in Texas and I wear shorts most of the time. But, I put on a pair of old jeans that I torn the crotch in, to protect my legs from slag burns. Well, I was focused on my weld when I smelled something burning??? I took off my helmet and looked down at my crotch and the frayed jeans were on fire! I jumped out of the buggy into the driveway and dramatically started putting out the fire with my hands.... After I got the fire out, I saw my neighbors wife (who is an ER nurse) laughing hysterically at me “slapping my flaming crotch!”

This was probably 12 years ago and we still laugh about it...

And the reason I still think it is funny.... Is that I did not get burned!

A few years back, I was replacing the taillight section on one of our dump trucks. I was welding it in place on the inside, mig welding and all was proceeding smoothly. I hit a rust spot and the puddle exploded showering sparks all over. One of the little bastards landed in my crotch and immediately burnt through my jeans, skivvies and proceeded to roll down my nutsack and into the nether regions. It caused great consternation on my part as I had to wiggle out from under the truck, and try to stop this one little piece of slag from further burning my junk. So now I'm hopping around pulling my pants away from my burning crotch all while screaming ow ow fuck ow shit fuck fuck fuck !!! eventually it stopped. I stood there panting, with a crazed look on my face only to see my co workers rolling on the floor screaming with laughter.
A few weeks later one of the summer kids said, you know I always wanted to learn how to weld..... I said really? Last week I burned my balls welding a truck, you still interested?
He just said um no.

A few years back, I was replacing the taillight section on one of our dump trucks. I was welding it in place on the inside, mig welding and all was proceeding smoothly. I hit a rust spot and the puddle exploded showering sparks all over. One of the little bastards landed in my crotch and immediately burnt through my jeans, skivvies and proceeded to roll down my nutsack and into the nether regions. It caused great consternation on my part as I had to wiggle out from under the truck, and try to stop this one little piece of slag from further burning my junk. So now I'm hopping around pulling my pants away from my burning crotch all while screaming ow ow fuck ow shit fuck fuck fuck !!! eventually it stopped. I stood there panting, with a crazed look on my face only to see my co workers rolling on the floor screaming with laughter.
A few weeks later one of the summer kids said, you know I always wanted to learn how to weld..... I said really? Last week I burned my balls welding a truck, you still interested?
He just said um no.
Learned early on while crawling through boilers or sitting down while welding that a ditty ball will absolutely everytime find a hole or rip in the jeans. 99 out of 100 it will be in the crotch area

Adapter plate for low noise cooling fans on heat exchanger.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    657.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 49
Stand for recirculation pump and heat exchanger. On casters to allow easy movement throughout the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 56
Keep in mind this is 'Still' a work in progress.

I need to plumb up the coolant line. Mount the controls for the heater etc.

And before anyone get's all excited, where I reside my wife and I are completely legal
to manufacture for our own consumption up to 200gals of pure spirits per year.
100gal's each.

I truly LOVE the concept and the ability that ya'll have there. In a 'no-creepy' kinda way, of course. (this place needs a REALLY Like, thingy instead of the 'hearts'.)

Now, back to the still. Are you finishing in barrels, and if so, are you buying or making them?

Or are you going with fancy high-tech finishing/aging?

Sean, nothing fancy here. Just finish in a Mason jar.

Like most I am continually learning. I might try finishing in an old wine cask at some
time in the future. Small ones are available readily here.

More pictures to come as I have time to work on it.

Thank you for the positive input!

Reactions: Barneybdb
Anti spall device.

The problem
DD9DECD1-7FE9-4347-8F2C-050396FB16F3.jpeg

Why is scrap never square?
C645F7DC-83B9-4652-9757-46CAF00DB5A4.jpeg

More better.
D5B5CF1F-1102-4146-A1F0-E5F465435C3F.jpeg

Gonna need some edge.
6CF4623E-32F3-4BC1-8766-DCC3EC758B5E.jpeg

Seems like it needs...
75243B3F-B7F5-4400-ACA9-734C31C82517.jpeg

Holes!
3720597E-C1D7-4C49-829D-71B43C405357.jpeg

Dingus to keep cans in there.
4426833C-C7CA-4E89-98F2-4E9546A2B520.jpeg

Let’s move that sooner, might be important someday shooting weak hand PRS.
F122AD36-5E6C-4D37-9597-5E1CE3C96895.jpeg

Looks like a box.
67A36B85-481C-4BE4-A5A1-3306E4B0C352.jpeg

Paint can armor +5
B69FC55B-2B7A-42F9-BD32-C3D758F8A1F3.jpeg

This is for a local range I shoot at. The “swing” is adjustable and the tire rotates. They are practicing for PRS matches.
12FA3817-DB6A-42EC-89D0-92B3C463AF4C.jpeg

This is for my own use. I will hang an AR500 plate inside. The tire will catch the splatter and let me reuse the lead for casting more bullets.
0EF44C03-B30D-4C6B-9208-14620E2689C7.jpeg

I also do my own barrel work, mostly threading and chambering. This is a Model 7 sold as a bare receiver that I built into a pistol. It will have flats on the barrels to change between 223 Remington, 300 Blackout and a wildcat that is a 221 Fireball necked up to 6mm. I modified the dies and make my own neck sizers.
03D020FB-E42E-44C8-93D5-C1EE4B547C93.jpeg

The silencer is one I built. It uses a 1.5” outer tube that is .035” titanium. The inner tube is 1.25” and has holes for the blast chamber to vent into the space between the tubes. The inner tube holds 13 17-4 baffles. The inner tube is threaded for the end caps to compress the outer tube to seal everything up.
168D5BD3-F950-425B-A6DC-91BFD3A18CAB.png

Last edited:
Yep, not all of us weld on clean, new stock. I forgot to take a picture of the patch job that got us through until the new tank came inView attachment 7106002View attachment 7106003
I appreciate that you are not finding a new employer.

Do you have any metal bending equipment at work?

I would be tempted to buy scrap- dishwasher fronts, any sheet of steel and place a larger patch in place.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
had to give the bbq grill and the chicken on that grill a double take , It looks good .

I appreciate that you are not finding a new employer.

Do you have any metal bending equipment at work?

I would be tempted to buy scrap- dishwasher fronts, any sheet of steel and place a larger patch in place.
New employer? I don’t follow...

Yeah we bend metal all the time in the shop for stuff.

That’s pretty much what we did. Cut a couple large patches out of a sheet and tacked on end and bent it over and tacked the other. Then ran a bead around the 2 patches

Anyone have tips for stick welding thin, rusted/worn out shit? I've been patching old bulk tank trailers that should probably be in the scrap yard not being repaired lol. I patched a hole the other day and just using a wire brush on a grinder flaked off rust scale and cause a new hole that I didn't see if that gives you an idea of what I'm dealing with. I heard hooking the leads up electrode negative will cut down on penetration but never tried it, anyone do that before? I also had my first experience welding with water dribbling out and that was a real shit show.
Piece of copper backing during weld .

Piece of copper backing during weld .
He's right, right there.

Also, on a completely different note, we used to use (what we called) spaghetti-rods.... they were stainless steel (I forget the alloy) and about 1/16" thick, flux was yellow.... for fixing/repairing/just-getting-back-up-and-running THIN stuff.

I know, it sounds archaic as well as insane, but it sure worked in a pinch. Sawmill setting, and there's some very interesting situations one can find themselves in.