• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Welding and Metalworking Thread

Anyone have to give up welding for health reasons? I'm having issues with my breathing and recently quit a mechanic position that I enjoyed because about a third of the time I welded. I'm debating on selling my welder, plasma cutter and all the related tools but I'm having a hard time with the thought of parting with them.
speedglass makes an air-fed hood. May want to give one of them a try.

speedglass makes an air-fed hood. May want to give one of them a try.

I really considered a PAPR but I think I'm giving it up before my health gets any worse. I changed jobs already to get away from it, pretty sure I am selling all my welding equipment too.

I really considered a PAPR but I think I'm giving it up before my health gets any worse. I changed jobs already to get away from it, pretty sure I am selling all my welding equipment too.
I certainly understand that. Had to change positions also due to eyesight getting bad

9950181D-B8E4-4608-A01C-CE14318ADE29.jpeg

What is it?
It's a holder for a 40mm sq cutter. 72 of them in an average shredder. When customers are dumb and run large pieces of metal into a shredder setup for document destruction they either get torn up, bent, ripped off.

150 to 200 hp motor turning a 5' to 6' long rotor about 16" in diameter at 120 rpm.

Cutter engages a bed knife.

They have to be cut out and welded back in within a 1/16 for proper clearance. Root pass 7014 then 3 with 7018 and a cover pass.

All in a steel box the size of a vw

It's a holder for a 40mm sq cutter. 72 of them in an average shredder. When customers are dumb and run large pieces of metal into a shredder setup for document destruction they either get torn up, bent, ripped off.

150 to 200 hp motor turning a 5' to 6' long rotor about 16" in diameter at 120 rpm.

They have to be cut out and welded back in within a 1/16 for proper clearance. Root pass 7014 then 3 with 7018 and a cover pass.

The one I used to work on was a Retech.

We used it to reclaim heavy PVC extrusions. Louder than a train wreck.

Ahhhh, gotcha. Haven’t looked at one of those up close before.

I enjoy metal. work. Decided to but a Mig/Tig machine and a plasma cutter about 3 or 4 years ago. I have always done enough dirty farm welding with stick to get by when I had to but I wanted to be able to make stuff easily. I am completely self taught, just started welding and the more you do the better you get. Here are a few recent things from the last 10 months. One of the best things I have ever taught myself to do. There is always something to be done with a welder and plasma cutter around the shop and farm. I really get into fabbing things and have all kinds of stuff around here I have made.

Gate for barn fence here at the house
0714191624.jpg

Plasma cutting table
IMG_20180518_175506.jpg

Bench for the wife
9181.jpeg

Fabrication table on wheels for my chop saw and small parts saw
7988.jpeg

Decorative porch rails for my daughter with twisted pickets

1109191713_HDR (1).jpg

New post for the mail box
9183.jpeg

I do. I have an ornamental bender and roller that will bend up to 1" flat for decorative and twist up to 1" flat and 1/2" square. I built a press bender for heavier stuff like the arm rails on the bench out of a cheap bottle jack press. Works well. The ornamental bender will do all manner of scrolls, circular bends and twists.

Bench after paint and stain

9255.jpeg

Last edited:
Made these today. Daughter is getting married and wanted a rack for hanging table assignments for the reception. I made her a rack with twisted 1" flats to look like ribbons hanging off of it. The other piece is for a hornets nest I shot down but the limbs broke so I made a metal "tree" for it.

0208201259a.jpg
0208201259 (1).jpg
0208201256.jpg

I was going through some pictures on my computer and don't think I posted this project. I built the hand rail and stairs on this slurry trailer so it would be safer for the truck drivers. I made the top rail collapsible so it would be under 13' when folded down. Fun project but took longer than I would have liked because the shop bandsaw sucked so I cut everything with a portaband and drilled all the holes by hand for the hinge points.

20190826_164303.jpg
20190821_110309.jpg
20190821_110320.jpg

How does it secure in the up position....pins? I assume the trailer is aluminum....how did you attach the uprights to the trailer? A lot of skill getting all that square without jigs. Good looking work.

How does it secure in the up position....pins? I assume the trailer is aluminum....how did you attach the uprights to the trailer? A lot of skill getting all that square without jigs. Good looking work.

Thanks, I really enjoyed projects like this. It's a stainless trailer so I welded the uprights to the trailer. The top railing has a strong gas shock that assists in raising it and it has a stop to stop it at 90⁰. I originally had two shocks on it which made it raise very easily but it was everything I had to pull it down. I wanted to run a pair of air cylinders but they didn't want to spend the money.

I used squares from Fireball tools to square up everything. If you do any fabricating, they aren't cheap but worth every penny.

You use cast or aluminum? Whats your most use square from them? You are getting ready to cost me some money:)

I used the 8" cast iron. The 90⁰ triangle was my most used but the second link is handy for when the other wouldn't fit inside of the part. They are like an extra set of hands when trying to hold something on a mark to tack it. I tried various magnets and didn't really like them.

Reactions: Barneybdb
I can't run a bead around a round tube to save my life, but I still love building turbo manifolds. I'm much more fitter than welder.. The last one was a recent project for the wife that sat in the foyer for two days before she noticed.
20200101_142051.jpg
20200102_235049.jpg
20190615_085837.jpg

IMG_9188.jpg

I can't run a bead around a round tube to save my life, but I still love building turbo manifolds. I'm much more fitter than welder.. The last one was a recent project for the wife that sat in the foyer for two days before she noticed.View attachment 7246602View attachment 7246605View attachment 7246609
View attachment 7246611

Some of the welders for the exhaust systems are in a whole different league than most. Your work looks good, I haven't done much tig so I know I can't do that well. I was planning on buying a tig until I had breathing problems. I really wanted to try to get to where I could fab and weld cages and different suspension parts.

Everyone needs a tig. I use mine for everything. I've built tube frames, control arms, a-arms, 'moly cages, turbo manifolds/exhaust. I love working with stainless, it's so clean..

I did the same idea for my rpr with alum, cause of the bottom pic rail on the stock. Works good, used a quick attach throw lever.

Nothing like a flat bag rider. My butt plate is fixed straight to the buffer tube, but it has a sling mount in the bottom I'm planning on countersinking and mounting a piece of round alu to.

Thought I'd help the old man out with building this tiny trailer to get his water pump around the farm and save him from lifting it on and off the trailer. Haven't welded in years but it's like riding a bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20200201_175134.jpg
    IMG_20200201_175134.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20200201_175230.jpg
    IMG_20200201_175230.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 119
Nothing like a flat bag rider. My butt plate is fixed straight to the buffer tube, but it has a sling mount in the bottom I'm planning on countersinking and mounting a piece of round alu to.
I used chrome moly DOM tube, tab is 3/16" and angled 5*, installed a steel sleeve between the steel butt plate and the tab that slips into the sling mount slot. Rider removes with one bolt after loosening and rotating the adjustable butt pad.

Here's the aluminum I made for the KRG/Vudoo.

i-XBS25kj-M.jpg

Reactions: jungle45 and Pbgt
As I've said before, the vast majority of the stuff we do is pretty boring....beams, columns, frames, etc.
We've had a couple cool projects come through the shop recently. This happens to be a hangar at a military base in Maryland. Most of the framing is pretty boring, but here are some photos of the trusses.

The "smaller" trusses are 220' long and 10'-6" deep midspan with 9-3/4" of camber. The larger trusses are 220' long and 17'-0" deep at midspan with only 2-3/4" of camber.

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

Next up, I have a pedestrian bridge headed to the University of North Carolina Medical Center.
It is really cool because it curves. I will share photos once it is mocked-up in our shop.

I used chrome moly DOM tube, tab is 3/16" and angled 5*, installed a steel sleeve between the steel butt plate and the tab that slips into the sling mount slot. Rider removes with one bolt after loosening and rotating the adjustable butt pad.

Here's the aluminum I made for the KRG/Vudoo.

i-XBS25kj-M.jpg

I didn't even notice the Bravo had holes for that... Might just have to send the Howa back to my dad with a 'rider on it. We both agree that's the only way a rifle will track right.

That was cool. What kind of fuckery is going on with the last dude's helmet?

I'm assuming you are referring to the pipeliner hood. They are used mainly outdoors with pipe welders so you don't fight the glare of the sun in your hood.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country

Those are 'pancake' hoods. Just like what @Bradu said above. Pipeliners like them because they have side flaps built in. They are pretty much like SWAT riot shields, just miniaturized to protect just the face and eyes.

I built a small version of a pancake hood a couple of months ago using the lenses from an old helmet. It was for one of my coworkers who wanted to make video tutorials on how to weld and wanted to film a helmet view of a weld in progress. The mini-pancake housed a GoPro camera and can be mounted on the top of his regular helmet, aimed in the same direction as what he would be seeing through his main lens.

I've been a hobbyist for decades. Got into aluminum while I kids were in high school. Dad had to do the building and repair of things for the marching band and other areas of the school But lately, I've been building Rocket Stoves of my own design, for a few friends. It would seem this may turn into a small cottage industry. People like the design and it's not too heavy, but it throws a flame like you wouldn't believe. I've got to make another one soon, so I'll get a few pictures and post them.

Scratch built 1 micron lathe

One of the guys I learned machining from was an optical engineer and he had an air bearing lathe.

When he would start the tour of his shop for folks, he would spin the chuck by hand... and when you finished the tour... it would be spinning just like it was when he left it.

Those air bearing machines are incredible! Just take small cuts!

Cheers,

Sirhr

As promised in an earlier post. Here are some photos of a pedestrian bridge we are building for UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill, NC. If you are a UNC fan, or know the area well, this bridge will cross Manning Drive and West Drive. It connects an existing parking garage to the oncology clinic. This bridge we are building replaces a bridge that (I think) did more or less the same thing except it wasn't curved. The original bridge has been demolished and this one takes its place. This is one of 5 total sections of the bridge. The other sections are straight....so not quite so interesting. This bridge is complicated in that it both curves and changes in elevation. Sounds simple, but it really isn’t.

As you can see we built this thing on shoring posts to replicate its final position (the change in elevation, etc.). Essentially, this is just like its final resting place other than it will be 20-ish feet from the ground. For something like this it always pays to shop-assemble it prior to sending it to the site. I'm sure you can only image the problems something like this would create if it got to the site and didn't fit....we'd have a pissed off CM and ironworkers. Always better to bite the bullet and do it right the first time.

03.jpg

04.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

01.jpg

06.jpg