• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

thermal scope

Either a Flir HISS XLR or a Block IV INOD. Either one will do for weapon-mounting.

You’ll also want either a Flir Recon V or Safran Jim LR for a handheld spotter.

When you get those, drop me a line. I’m chock full o’ tips and hacks to make your nightlife sizzle.

This is a huge topic that cannot be summed up in a single post. I don't have a thermal (yet), but I've been researching for a while now and so far I can safely say it's a pretty deep rabbit hole.

I don't have any advice other than to say the original question is extremely vague and without further details nearly impossible to answer.

Reactions: Snaz
Asking what thermal is recommended is like asking what car is recommended.

You need to tell us what u r gonna use it for.
What are your use cases.

And what is your budget.

The HISS and INOD are great units, but cost $60k to $90k and are UNobtanium.

Most thermals these days are chinese regardless of the brand name. They run $1k to $6k and EVERYBODY sells em
steiner
lieca
iray
burris
etc

Three main types of thermal

hand held spotter (hold in hand, hold up to eye, see critters) simple to use for observing

dedicated thermal wpns sight (TWS)
remove your day scope, mount TWS zero it and go nighr hunting.
Also simple to use.

Most people go with one or the other of those, the HH or the TWS.

A few people venture into the thermal clipon space. Real (collimated) thermal clipons cost $10k to $25k new and are a bit harder to use.

U need a place to mount them and your scope mounts need to match height of the clipon.

Under $10k commercial clipons still cost more than TWS and have to be "adjusted" for each rifle/scope combo.

==

So tell us your use cases and we will try to help.

Like Alamo stated, whats your intended use? I'm starting to get into thr market for one, and the rabbit hole is deep. So far, what I've learned is you get what you pay for, and buy once, cry once.

i want to recognize what i am seeing thru to thermal but mostly for coyotes

That’s strike 2.

At 3 this thread becomes a poop show and you’re gonna be on stage….

If you really want some advice then be specific: ranges, usage, terrain, budget, etc.

I’d recommend using the search function. Read through the other 346 threads on “which thermal should I get” then come back here and refine your question a bit. Then we can help if you really want it 👍

At 3 this thread becomes a poop show and you’re gonna be on stage….

If you really want some advice then be specific: ranges, usage, terrain, budget, etc.

I’d recommend using the search function. Read through the other 346 threads on “which thermal should I get” then come back here and refine your question a bit. Then we can help if you really want it 👍

what do you use i want something i can look out my back door and be able to see. i don’t won’t something cheap to say i have one .i just want some suggestions i’m looki at around 6000

My 6.5 Grendel I built with a N-Vision HALO 50 Thermal. works great on hogs down in Florida and Coyotes here in Minnesota!

Attachments

• 6.5 Grendel.jpg
    6.5 Grendel.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 64
  • BOCO.jpg
    BOCO.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 63
Chinese, they have a usa direct outlet. One of the big players in the chinese space. If you dont need it to work much outside they arent too bad - as chinses stuff goes. Remember almost anything new priced under $6k is chinese these days, regardless of brand name: iray, steiner, burris, lieca, etc.

Reactions: DIBBS
I came across it and was wondering it’s more in the price range.anything higher gets out of my price range .thanks

i am looking for a thermal what is recommended? i know nothing about them.
Fusion thermal is the way to go. Very advanced and very user friendly. You'll also always get someone one the phone that you can understand. if you want to learn more about them then give me a call. 5045650662