• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Thumbhole Stock vs. Non-Thumbhole Stock... does it matter?

Drunktank

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2007
Dallas, TX
Well... here I sit in California... all my bad ass EBRs, suppressors and SBRs sitting back home in CO... so I guess I might as well finish my bolt gun :D

Right now Im on the fence between the Manners MCS-T5A and the MCS-T4A ( Tactical | Manners Composite Stocks )and I'm wondering what are the good and bad of each version is.... why I should go for one over the other? Or is just aesthetics and personal preference? Is there a situation where one would excel over the other? Ill be putting this on a Savage Precision Carbine, 20" barrel, .308 win. if it matters.

Thanks gents!

I think it comes down to personal preference. Personally, I would lean towards a more traditional profile. What is legal in California today may not be tomorrow the way things are going, and thumbhole grips look devestatingly evil and clearly are infinitly more dangerous in the eyes of some crowds.
I however, like the feel of a thumbhole, and the asthetics of a traditional. Best bet, get behind one and run through various shooting positions and see which one feels the best. I thubhole stock may allow you to position your trigger hand a little more vertical because of the relief are behind the grip. You mentioned that both model choices would be adjustable. If your a lefty, keep in mind that the 5a has a thumb groove on the left side and could be a comfort issue.

Good luck.

Carp

I think its definitely a personel prefrence thing I have an AICS 2.0 and I really like the stock although I often end up ignoring the thumb hole and just letting my thumb run along the right side of the stock. I do the same thing on traditional rifles though the thumb hole does feel nice for some positional shooting though.