• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Tig weld bolt handle to bolt body on Rem 700 bolt?

ceross1975

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Keller, Texas
www.rossgunworks.com
I am sure someone here can help me out. I shot a match last weekend and experienced a bolt handle seperation from bolt body on my Rem 700. Terry Cross was at the match and reccommended I have it repaired bt TIG weld. He does not do it but said ask around on here and see who does. Anyone know anybody who does this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Tig weld bolt handle to bolt body on Rem 700 bolt?

I had some TIG welding done here in Midland. Exactly one guy in this area seems to have the equipment. He said lots of guys who build race car chassis use TIG so you might look for one of them in your area.

I have been advised to only let a qualified smith who has done this before do it. Apparently if you get the angle off in the slightest bit you will not get proper lock up and can have pressure problems.

I paid $2k for a TIG welder for sporterizing Mauser bolts.
I might as well have bought a violin for making music.
The TIG welder requires skill.
I barely have enough skill to cut threads and chambers with a lathe.

Years later, I am still paying others to TIG weld bolts for me.
I CAN TIG weld material back on a Mauser trigger hump, if I grind too much off.

yep , another plug for Nate , i've had a couple other guys do it but Nathan's work is superior

Sgt,

I was looking for you Sunday to see how that worked out. Didn't see you in the crowd but heard that you were able to get through the match with it. Very good to hear. Also very cool that you had other shooters offering back up gear to get you through just in case.

Yes, definitely send it to Nathan or similar that does "bolts". TIG welding it in the wrong position to time properly will be on the NOT COOL list.

Tell Larry Bartek I said Hi and to not go in public with shorts on again. Some legs are best kept in long pants.
smile.gif

Good luck with your stuff. Sorry I couldn't help you at the match but it was good to meet you.

Stay safe,
Terry

Another plug for Nate, great work and a great guy to boot.