• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka tac, savage 110ab, tikka Vermint super

Sliced

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2014
Hello, I'm from Australia and prices here are a lot more expensive but just want some opinions on some of my options
I'm looking at buy one of these three rifles to shoot targets up to 1000 meters. Just getting into target shooting and will also get a .243 for close range 100-200m

Tikka tactical 300wm Includes Harris bipod, leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 scope, genuine alloy scope covers and lumens filters, 10 shot magazine plus standard mag and muzzle break Never fired $2950

Savage 110ba 300wm, night force nxs 12-42x56 scope, bi-pod and a bistoli rifle bag/shooting mate $3500
Used a few times
Or

Tikka vermint super .308w, bi-pod, night force nxs 5.5-22x50 and case for $3500 new

Open to all opinions and suggestions

Thanks

First gun? Whats your experience? Whats your budget? Where will you be shooting?

Lots of questions from a fellow Aussie before any one can assist you with making a decision.

If you are just getting into it, the Tikka super varmint in. 308 will make for a great first precision rifle.
Stay away from magnum calibers, they are expensive and punishing to shoot.

I really enjoy my tikka t3 super varmint 308 win, so far I've only shot out to 600 meter, recently I've the barrel cut off to 19,7".

vasytaza.jpg
jahe8u5y.jpg

Sendt fra min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk

Don't need to go magnum to go out to a grand. The .243 could do it also, I wouldn't say it's a short range gun either. Is this for hunting also or just target shooting. The .243 actually shoots flatter then the .308 which could make it a little easier, less recoil also. I wouldn't limit the .243 to just 100m - 200m gun. If this is your first gun I think a magnum would be a little intense you may develop bad shooting habits also known as the flinch. There is a lot to consider but out of the 3 you've chosen I would get the Tikka in .308 or .243, it can be rebarreled into either also. Bullets are cheaper also. Magnums can get expensive.

Thanks for all the replies, I've had a far amount of shooting with my old mans .22 rim fire, and little shooting with a mates tikka lite .308w.
The only thing I have is a air rifle so this will be my first gun.
Will be using this purely for target shooting (on a property) not hunting,

Looking to spend around $3000.

Maybe with all your help I'll focus on a smaller cal to get good habits, then when I've reached maximum range at consistency I'll move up the line to .308w then something like the savage 110ba .338 lapua.
I want to start hand loading also.

So maybe a .223 or .243 with nxs 3.5-15x50 or nxs 5.5-22x50 scope?

For target shooting. Moving from a 243 to a 308 is a step backwards ballisticlly. You gain barrel life that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are your choices only those 3 rifles? If it were me (being a huge tikka fan for a good reason) I would get a tikka t3 sporter in 260 (or 6.5x55, or 308). The stock mimicks the TRG, has detachable mag, anschutz rail, adjustable buttplate for lop and can't, and adjustable cheekpiece. For a scope, I like ffp models so look for a vortex 6-24 pst or a Bushnell ERS or xrs used.

How does the vortex viper pst compare to night force nxs? I haven't looked through a vortex viper.
I haven't any rifle locked in but am leaning towards a tikka, still not sure of the size through.

How does the vortex viper pst compare to night force nxs? I haven't looked through a vortex viper.

I haven't any rifle locked in but am leaning towards a tikka, still not sure of the size through.

A ffp pst is much cheaper than the equivalent ffp f1 nxs, over half the price with more magnification and a somewhat better reticle in my opinion.

Glass is very similar?

Did you get my pm?

It's "Nightforce Lite". Lots of the same features for less money. The build quality/reliability is not hell for stout like Nightforce but they are still decent, usable target scopes on a budget.