• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Top scope brand that costs 4k+ keeps cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the next one...3rd actually and last.. the wife being in the hospital post partum with serious infection from botched epidural for 2 weeks on serious IV antibiotics, shaking, high fever and me being home by myself with a newborn and 2 teenagers isnt the easiest situations but all is good I got it. She got discharged late Friday and home with us now. Hoping it stays that way

Puts this kind of shit in perspective…. Glad she’s on the mend and congratulations.

17D6A915-A700-4D9E-9F5F-21C201176169.jpeg

This is the next one...3rd actually and last.. the wife being in the hospital post partum with serious infection from botched epidural for 2 weeks on serious IV antibiotics, shaking, high fever and me being home by myself with a newborn and 2 teenagers isnt the easiest situations but all is good I got it. She got discharged late Friday and home with us now. Hoping it stays that way
Dang, we had a rough go a couple months ago with our 3rd too. I'll be praying for you guys today.

Although, this is a stupid thread. OP should just send his scope with the mount back to the MFG and be done with it. Let them test away. Im sure they want to know what's going on too.

That's crazy, especially happening to two identical scopes.

I'm gonna go with the rings being overtorqued as the culprit. If it were a manufacturer defect, I'm sure we'd have heard about it by now from others. Or you are the most unlucky SOB and happened to get two defective scopes from a top tier manufacturer that failed in the exact same fashion.

Occam's Razor.

Haha

More reasons to buy leupold.

American made
Indestructible
Cost 1/3 of these ones that all you people have issues with

When’s the last time you heard a Leupold break a lens? It’s because they are made in the USA. Not jap junk

Go be poor somewhere else

• Haha
Reactions: rlsmith1
That's crazy, especially happening to two identical scopes.

I'm gonna go with the rings being overtorqued as the culprit. If it were a manufacturer defect, I'm sure we'd have heard about it by now from others. Or you are the most unlucky SOB and happened to get two defective scopes from a top tier manufacturer that failed in the exact same fashion.

Occam's Razor.
They just repaired it the first time. Not replaced. Maybe an out of spec tube. If the rings were putting too much torque then I’d have turret, magnification or parealax adjustment issues. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Arc Light

This thread could be half the size had you just posted those pics in the beginning lol

Posting an issue doesn’t make you a dick, had you logged on to bitch without ever giving the company a chance to make it right that wouldn’t be a different story

I don’t see how crushing the middle of the maintube would have anything to do with the ocular that spins within its own housing.

Reactions: whatsupdoc
I'm sure you double checked, but you don't have like a 35mm scope in 34mm rings-right

Last edited:
Reactions: D1gger
I love my arc rings but for the love of god I wouldn’t torque them to anything above 35 in-lb. As long as your scope doesn’t slip, the minimum amount of torque is the best.
Ditto: I've shot literally hundreds of FTR matches plus all the testing. Fun shoots, ELR etc. I've never torqued a scope ring 1X. Snug it down. Check it often before you shoot but snug is all you need. Never had a problem.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I don’t see how crushing the middle of the maintube would have anything to do with the ocular that spins within its own housing.

I was thinking the same thing but as I sat here and thought about it, If the tube was flexed I suppose it could also load one side of the ocular housing and that stress may transfer to the lens. I would think you’d feel it binding though. Very curious what the manufacturer finds if the mount is shipped with it.

Reactions: greybeard0058
I was thinking the same thing but as I sat here and thought about it, If the tube was flexed I suppose it could also load one side of the ocular housing and that stress may transfer to the lens. I would think you’d feel it binding though. Very curious what the manufacturer finds if the mount is shipped with it.

That might be except the ocular housing spins aft the magnification ring housing which effectively arrests any distortion of the maintube coming from the ring area.

In the alternative, maybe the OP is using scope caps that have a tensioning screw which squeezes the ocular too much?

I hope he updates us all when it is figured out. I think we could all use some closure. 😏

ARC rings will be just fine with a z comp. i have 2 of them and never had an issue. Here is an old post from them.
I'm not sure where you see that we don't recommend more than 25 inch pounds. The literature and Operator's Manual clearly say to use the ring manufacturer torque specs. I know, I wrote the manual.

ZCO scopes will handle the ARC torque just fine as they specify. No worries at all.

ARC rings will be just fine with a z comp. i have 2 of them and never had an issue. Here is an old post from them.
Thanks...someone just posted that on another thread and I just saw it. Makes way more sense that the alternative that was reported.

Great search-fu.

welp.. going to take some crap for this. After more thorough look with a light… it’s not the ocular lens. It’s the lens on the objective side of the turrets. But not the outer lens. It’s a lens by the turrets.

Haha

More reasons to buy leupold.

American made
Indestructible
Cost 1/3 of these ones that all you people have issues with

When’s the last time you heard a Leupold break a lens? It’s because they are made in the USA. Not jap junk

Fuck that!
Arken for the win baby!!!

BTW, plenty of Leupold optics are not made in the good ol' US of A.

• Wow
Reactions: No_Call_Reengage
Status
Not open for further replies.