• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tour de France

SniperCJ

Sky God
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2001
Dallas,TX
Anybody elsse watching?

Holy crap there's been a few good crashes. Hope Hoogerland gets hold of that car driver for 5 minutes, when he stops bleeding that is...

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/up2RvtMMmME[/video]

He's the one cartwheeling into the fence

Re: Tour de France

You will not understand how good theses guys are enless you ride a road bike! Just like golf, it's boring to watch tell you go play and realize how good they are!

100+ miles a day for three week! Maintaing a average speed of 25+ miles an hour through out it all. IIMPRESSIVE!

And the best thing it looks like Karma is a bitch! Poor Contador.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody elsse watching?

Holy crap there's been a few good crashes. Hope Hoogerland gets hold of that car driver for 5 minutes, when he stops bleeding that is...

He's the one cartwheeling into the fence </div></div>

Awe damn......

someone is going to get their ass kicked.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willys46</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will not understand how good theses guys are enless you ride a road bike! Just like golf, it's boring to watch tell you go play and realize how good they are!

100+ miles a day for three week! Maintaing a average speed of 25+ miles an hour through out it all. IIMPRESSIVE!

And the best thing it looks like Karma is a bitch! Poor Contador. </div></div>

Thats it right there. Unless you ride you wont get it. As endurance athletes and from a power / weight ratio these guys are at the very top of the heap.

Now, that said, on a straight flat road, yes it gets boring, but on the hills, descents, and sprints its pretty cool. Not to mention the crashes. Some of these guys get up and ride away from crashes that would leave most of us whimpering.

I enjoy cycling but the Tour is a bit like watching lab experiments. Every single rider is at the very least blood loading and at the very worst using drugs to boost everything they can. I think it'd be more interesting if they just let them dope and let us all in on the fun with what works and what doesn't. Oh, they wouldn't live very long but hey they are volunteers.

I love the strongman competitions. Now there's a sport of lab rats that's still acceptable. Well sort of, they have to hold the competitions in the weirdest places to avoid having the police get involved with investigating. Let's hope they'll always have third world countries that ignore what can be done to advance artificial excellence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the strongman competitions. Now there's a sport of lab rats that's still acceptable. Well sort of, they have to hold the competitions in the weirdest places to avoid having the police get involved with investigating. Let's hope they'll always have third world countries that ignore what can be done to advance artificial excellence. </div></div>

Haa, ya good ole Sun City in Africa!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody elsse watching?

He's the one cartwheeling into the fence </div></div>

French driver hits Spanish rider in lead pack of potential stage winners to free up Frech rider for the win. That sounds fucking suspicious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">French driver hits Spanish rider in lead pack of potential stage winners to free up Frech rider for the win. That sounds fucking suspicious. </div></div>

Hmmm, never considered the conspiracy angle...

On another note, if you can get run over by a car in the biggest organized bike race in the world, what the hell chance do we poor weekend bastards have!??
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">French driver hits Spanish rider in lead pack of potential stage winners to free up Frech rider for the win. That sounds fucking suspicious. </div></div>

Hmmm, never considered the conspiracy angle...

On another note, if you can get run over by a car in the biggest organized bike race in the world, what the hell chance do we poor weekend bastards have!??
eek.gif
</div></div>

Three broken clavicles, broken helmets, and a good lawyer....
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willys46</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will not understand how good theses guys are enless you ride a road bike! Just like golf, it's boring to watch tell you go play and realize how good they are!

And the best thing it looks like Karma is a bitch! Poor Contador. </div></div>

Plus, they ride up MOUNTAINS.

You don't have to be a pro to be involved in some very ugly racing. I was in a "citizen's" race two years ago. First rider who went down was a woman (she'd started in an earlier race) who took a downhill turn too wide and sideswiped a pickup truck. She went down pretty hard. Then, a pack of us were coming down the same hill while they were still kicking debris off the road. A guy just behind me and to my left lost control and started going down. He's about 6 - 7 feet away from me and I could see him separate from his bike. I'm watching three or four things nearly simultaneously and one of them was his bike and its former rider beginning to tumble. I was sweating it that the bike would tumble into me but fortunately it decelerated pretty quickly. The guy ON the bike however, was not nearly so fortunate. He continued sliding, upright and backward, until he slid under the front end of a pickup truck and which point he got bent in a manner similar to you making an "L" with your thumb and finger and bringing the two instantly together. He wedged underneath the front end of the pickup truck. Four things went through my mind. 1) That guy's well and truly messed up. 2) Should I stop to help? - I knew he had to be severely hurt and there was nothing I could do for him 3) With the rest of the pack behind me, I couldn't afford to try to stop because there would be more riders going down and 4) we're in a race, he knew he was taking a chance, just like me, when he started. I kept going. I can still remember the sound of him hitting the front end of that truck - man, it was ugly.

He suffered head, neck and back injuries and had to be resuscitated and both he and the woman were flown in different LifeFlight choppers to local hospitals.

Boring as paint drying? You oughta' try it.

For a very long time, these three weeks in July have been the highlight of my summer, but this year I'm having a hard time getting worked up over it. There's a pall hanging over the entire sport that won't go away until Novitzky serves his arrest warrants on Pharmstrong, et Al. That will precipitate the collapse of the WADA and UCI, and then the rebuilding can begin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow that crash was epic!! </div></div>

Been hit three different times by three different drivers.

The REAL Tour start tomorrow! Welcome to the Pyrenees!!

That's near as savage a stage as I can ever remember. Better still, it's an HC uphill finish, no better time for Contador to dig himself out of that hole. It's Bastille Day but I seriously doubt a Frenchman will be in yellow at day's end.

Today was the definition of misery. Hours in the heavy wind and rain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a very long time, these three weeks in July have been the highlight of my summer, but this year I'm having a hard time getting worked up over it. There's a pall hanging over the entire sport that won't go away until Novitzky serves his arrest warrants on Pharmstrong, et Al. That will precipitate the collapse of the WADA and UCI, and then the rebuilding can begin. </div></div>

I don't get this attitude. Cycling has been full of drugs for ages so why the hate for Armstrong. I don't like the guy because he is an egotistical ass but don't think any different of him because he used the same drugs everyone else used and is still using.

Ya, thats gonna be a killer stage and a good sorting out of the real contendors. Two HC's and cat 1!? Brutal, just brutal.

As for the drugs / Armstrong comment. We'd all like to think cycling is some sort of pure sport. Man and machine vs mountain / clock / etc. Unfortunately as long as there are sponsors, money, winners and losers, there will be guys trying to win. And using whatever means available to do so. I dont see that changing, so im not going to get too worked up about it.

@Jong <-- look it's twitter talk

I agree. At some point, people are going to have to give up this idea that God made everything perfectly and that we shouldn't enhance performance in ways that benefit our lives (whether or not it's long or short term). Eddie Merckx has lived a long successful life and he did marvelous wondrous things on a bike. And Merckx tested positive for drugs on several occasions. No one is complaining about him. Armstrong should be treated the same (and he never tested positive). Miguel Indurain doesn't get the hate either and he took EPO to the next level.

The only guy I would give a pass to is Greg Lemond because he had such a ridiculous VO2 max. But he's a total dick, so he still doesn't rank above Armstrong in my opinion.

I don't worship the genetic freak. Just because God didn't give you all the tools doesn't mean one shouldn't try to exceed within reason, whether others think it's acceptable or not. GATTACA!

By the way, US Special Forces approved the use of blood loading for some troops. That's the official position anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya, thats gonna be a killer stage and a good sorting out of the real contendors. Two HC's and cat 1!? Brutal, just brutal.

As for the drugs / Armstrong comment. We'd all like to think cycling is some sort of pure sport. Man and machine vs mountain / clock / etc. Unfortunately as long as there are sponsors, money, winners and losers, there will be guys trying to win. And using whatever means available to do so. I dont see that changing, so im not going to get too worked up about it. </div></div>

Doesn't take anything to try and win. I used to powerlift in my 20's for shits and giggles. There was no money, no sponsers and no one watching. The meets that weren't tested the guys were doing 100lbs more on each lift than I could. The meets that were tested were filled with guys that had come clean but had juiced to get where they were. Some I could beat and others I couldn't. Bothered me a little but I was only competing with myself so it didn't matter ultimately.

Oh, how did we know the guys that came off the juice. They were doing a lot more weight in the untested meets. Pretty obvious.

Murderous day and no one really got anything out of it except Frank Schleck. Contador finished surprisingly weak. Paolo Tiralongo was quoted in L'Equipe saying his head is in a bad place because of the taunts he's getting from the crowds over the clenbuterol thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a very long time, these three weeks in July have been the highlight of my summer, but this year I'm having a hard time getting worked up over it. There's a pall hanging over the entire sport that won't go away until Novitzky serves his arrest warrants on Pharmstrong, et Al. That will precipitate the collapse of the WADA and UCI, and then the rebuilding can begin. </div></div>

I don't get this attitude. Cycling has been full of drugs for ages so why the hate for Armstrong. I don't like the guy because he is an egotistical ass but don't think any different of him because he used the same drugs everyone else used and is still using. </div></div>
Lighten up, Francis. I didn't say a goddam thing about Pharmstrong, except it will signal the beginning of the purge when Novitzky serves him his felony arrest warrants.

But I have to admit, I will treasure the sight of him wearing steel bracelets next to his silly yellow rubber bands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Murderous day and no one really got anything out of it except Frank Schleck. Contador finished surprisingly weak. Paolo Tiralongo was quoted in L'Equipe saying his head is in a bad place because of the taunts he's getting from the crowds over the clenbuterol thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a very long time, these three weeks in July have been the highlight of my summer, but this year I'm having a hard time getting worked up over it. There's a pall hanging over the entire sport that won't go away until Novitzky serves his arrest warrants on Pharmstrong, et Al. That will precipitate the collapse of the WADA and UCI, and then the rebuilding can begin. </div></div>

I don't get this attitude. Cycling has been full of drugs for ages so why the hate for Armstrong. I don't like the guy because he is an egotistical ass but don't think any different of him because he used the same drugs everyone else used and is still using. </div></div>
Lighten up, Francis. I didn't say a goddam thing about Pharmstrong, except it will signal the beginning of the purge when Novitzky serves him his felony arrest warrants.

But I have to admit, I will treasure the sight of him wearing steel bracelets next to his silly yellow rubber bands. </div></div>

It's not going to happen because there's nothing to get. He's a cancer survivor and anything they can pin on him will be doctor supervised (call it remission therapy). We already know EPO was part of his post chemo regimen. Yes, it's real medicine. He's never testified before Congress and he's never tested positive. If Bonds and Clemens serve as an example of how difficult it is to make something stick (which it does), he's got ZERO to worry about. He's a beloved, money-for-cancer-research generating machine. He's untouchable and if the government goes after him, it may just be the straw that breaks the peoples back when it comes to wasting money on an issue that people really could give a crap about.

Your disrespect of the cancer bracelets is misguided. They mean a lot to MILLIONS. LIVESTRONG!

No one ever went to prison in America for cheating in a French bicycle race. But sometimes they go to prison for fraud, embezzlement, money laundering, drug smuggling, distributing pharmaceuticals without a license, conspiracy to commit all the above, perjury, suborning perjury, witness intimidation and RICO violations.

O.J. was a beloved figure, too. I guess that makes it okay that he skated. Cancer was an excuse, not a justification.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I forgot to include tax evasion. When them bastards come after you, you're done for.

The mountanin stages are unbelievable. Watch the gearing on some of these guys. They simply down shift, stand up and crank away at 25 plus mph. Unbelivable! Makes a mortal cyclist look at the 39 chain ring or worse yet, the compact crank as way inadequate in the testosterone dept.

Even though these guys are skinny, man, are they incredible athletes. I can only go 25mph on the flats and almost shit myself if its for too long.

Continue Racing!!

A couple of historical notes regarding this year's tour:

There are (were) 10 Americans riding in the tour, which ties the record set in 1986. But a couple or three of them already have crashed out.

Also, this year marks the 98th running of the TdF. Yet until 2011, it had never had a black rider. Not one. This year, Yohann Gène has changed that. He's a 30-year old Frenchman riding for Europcar.

Great stage today, headed for the HC final climb!

Paul and Phil are the best announcers in any sport period.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple of historical notes regarding this year's tour:

There are (were) 10 Americans riding in the tour, which ties the record set in 1986. But a couple or three of them already have crashed out.

Also, this year marks the 98th running of the TdF. Yet until 2011, it had never had a black rider. Not one. This year, Yohann Gène has changed that. He's a 30-year old Frenchman riding for Europcar.</div></div>

Yet ironically Europcare isn't a true GC team and doesn't deserve to be there. The ONLY reason they are there is because they are a French team.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seuss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Paul and Phil are the best announcers in any sport period. </div></div>

Totally Agree! They are the best.

It appears a lil' ol' Cat2 wasn't severe enough for Contador to shake ASchleck today. But with what's coming the next two days, if AC isn't within striking distance by Grenoble, he doesn't rate a GC win. Then again, Cadel might surprise me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seuss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Totally Agree! They are the best. </div></div>

Sorry, John Madden was the best ever. I guess they could be considered the best active announcers though.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet ironically Europcare isn't a true GC team and doesn't deserve to be there. The ONLY reason they are there is because they are a French team. </div></div>
Tomorrow, the rider from the team that didn't deserve to be there gets his 11th day in yellow. And I think no one is surprised more than Voeckler.

Brilliant move by ASchleck today. Even if he's got no legs left, it had to be done. Whether he can take the MJ before Paris or not, at least he's taken his revenge for ChainGate. He ended Contador's chances today. Looks like it will be either Evans or one of the Schlecks.

[/quote]

Sorry, John Madden was the best ever. I guess they could be considered the best active announcers though.
grin.gif
[/quote]

You're right John Madden and Pat Summerall were a great team too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seuss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

grin.gif
</div></div>

ok

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seuss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

grin.gif
</div></div>

John Madden was a 'tard. I mean, I love the guy because he loved offensive linemen but he was far from being the sharpest knife in the drawer. I'm not taking anything away from his as a coach or a football mind, but he made so many mistakes a comedian has based a career off of imitating him.

Now Howard Cosell, he was the best sport commentator of all time.

Cosell was a tool. Didn't even bother wiping Ali's giz off his face before announcing a fight. Made me sick to my stomach.

Getting back to Le Tour, unless Andy has the TT of his life tommorrow, my money is on Evans at -57 seconds. Still rooting for Andy though.

PS Howard Cosell: "Look at that little monkey run" RE: Alvin Garrett

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cosell was a tool. Didn't even bother wiping Ali's giz off his face before announcing a fight. Made me sick to my stomach.</div></div>

Yeah but at least he kept it to one guy, one of the finest athletes in sport. Have you watched a college or football game lately? I mean the idiots are taking the entire shaft in and tickling the taint.

Cosell was well educated and knew his shit. Sure, you can try and define the man by one stupid statement. But I guess if you're going to do that we are all different people aren't we?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting back to Le Tour, unless Andy has the TT of his life tommorrow, my money is on Evans at -57 seconds. Still rooting for Andy though.</div></div>

Kinda neat that it comes down to a TT to decide the winner and on stage 20 to boot. Evans might win it but itll be hard fought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Kinda neat that it comes down to a TT to decide the winner and on stage 20 to boot. Evans might win it but itll be hard fought. </div></div>

Agreed, the "race of truth" will sort it all out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like cadel is the winner
grin.gif
</div></div>

A long time in the making. I do soooo hope this one remains clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like cadel is the winner
grin.gif
</div></div>

A long time in the making. I do soooo hope this one remains clean. </div></div>
You mean that no one gets caught. I seriously doubt anyone in the top 100 is clean.

Looks like the Schlecks expended too much energy trying to beat the wrong guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like cadel is the winner
grin.gif
</div></div>

A long time in the making. I do soooo hope this one remains clean. </div></div>
You mean that no one gets caught. I seriously doubt anyone in the top 100 is clean.

Looks like the Schlecks expended too much energy trying to beat the wrong guy. </div></div>

Not really. They needed time on both Contador and Evans as both are better in the time trial. they could only get 57 seconds up on Cadel.

Evans rode a perfect tour. He got time on Contador and stayed close enough to the Schlecks, who he knows he can beat in the TT. His team kept him out of trouble the entire race. This was the best tour in quite a while.