• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Trigger too light

confused89

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2010
Near Indy
Hello all,

I bought a Rem 700 VSSF in 22-250 couple weeks back and finally fondled the trigger. I personally think that it was/is set way to light. I can't even get my finger fully across the trigger before it trips which to me is stupid light. Is there any way to make the trigger have a heavier pull or do I have to buy an aftermarket trigger? I know that this is not a common question and most people always want a lighter trigger pull but I can't stand this trigger.

Re: Trigger too light

Should be adjustable. Didn't the rifle come with an instruction/warning booklet? The details would be in there. If you don't have the manual, I'm sure you could find it in pdf format on remington's website. This is of course, assuming you have a factory trigger group and not an aftermarket one. However, if you did have an aftermarket trigger group, its almost certainly adjustable.

The rifle was used when I bought it. It was made in 1994. I don't think that it has an aftermarket trigger in it.

Sounds like a Lyman trigger pull gage might be in the cards or take it to a gunsmith and let him adjust it to a safe pull weight! He can also inspect the trigger group to see what other adjustments have been disturbed which will also tell him what needs to be done to make this a safe handling rifle! Timney has you do a slam fire test with an unloaded cocked rifle by dropping it on its butt pad from about 10 inches off the ground but please assure it's not loaded but cocked before doing a slam fire check!

If you need to ask here what to do then please take it to a 'smith and have it checked, and set were you want it. Being that it is a used rifle, and being that you didn't try the trigger when you bought it, it might very well be screwed up somehow by some shadetree bubba back in its past.

Being THAT light, as you've described it, I certainly wouldn't trust it if I didn't know exactly how to correct it........

So a gunsmith could be able to adjust the trigger that is on it back to a "safe" trigger pull weight? I had no intention of trying to adjust it back. It was either I was going to have to buy a new trigger or find someone to hopefully fix it for me and from what is being said the trigger might be salvagable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Confused89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So a gunsmith could be able to adjust the trigger that is on it back to a "safe" trigger pull weight? I had no intention of trying to adjust it back. It was either I was going to have to buy a new trigger or find someone to hopefully fix it for me and from what is being said the trigger might be salvagable. </div></div>

A 'smith can tell you if it's salvagable...start there with time/money well spent.

I'd bet a dollar it's okay, but it's gotta be done RIGHT to be safe.

If it's not, an aftermarket trigger ain't a horrid idea.......

So why so vague with details about the trigger and what has been done to the installed trigger? New trigger been added or is it factory or as mentioned did someone adjust it improperly"? Most all new Remington's say to not adjust their factory triggers in the owners manual for the rifle! have you read the owners manual for your rifle?

I have read the owners manual. I did not adjust it. I am vague on the details because I have not seen the rifle since I bought it 3 weeks ago. I have been away on business since then and am still away from said gun. What this thread started about was me asking if you can make a trigger pull heavier. I believe that from answers on here that a gunsmith can do that if the trigger has not been bubba-ized.

Well thank you all for the information.

HOG...dude...he's confused enough, look at his screen name, cut him some slack.

He posted this above, and likely all he knows about the rifle....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Confused89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle was used when I bought it. It was made in 1994. I don't think that it has an aftermarket trigger in it. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Confused89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well thank you all for the information. It was a good deal that I could not pass up so I have time to get things right with this gun. </div></div>

You buy it off a shelf somewhere, or in a private deal?

Maybe the "good deal" was made to dump it off on someone, get it looked at.

Just sayin', cause it DOES happen......

It was a deal at a local to me gun store. I am not in a hurry to shoot it so I probably will have a gunsmith take a look at it sometime in the future. If it is bad then I guess I have a project to mold into what I want it to be.

Sorry not trying to be a pain but just curious to the facts since this could be an issue unless muzzle control is watched very closely! I have had an improperly adjusted Remington go off in my ear and it was due to someone that was clueless on the proper adjustments doing them and was lucky my friend holding it was pointing it correctly! Kinda scary when a 30-06 goes off when the bolt is touched to unload the one in the chamber! Especially when you are like shoulder to shoulder when it goes off and it takes days to get the ringing out of your ears even with hearing protection in your ears! Just curious if some of the facts on the trigger and it's history could have been left out or unknown? Good luck and put a Timney in it just for the fact it's a safer designed trigger!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGWILD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck and put a Timney in it just for the fact it's a safer designed trigger! </div></div>

Just something that bears mentioning, or repeating, whichever applies to whom ever.....

NO trigger is absolutely "safe", as is NO safety is absolutely "safe".

A mechanical device can never be fully trusted to perform 100% of the time without fail...he who realizes that and adjusts his gun handling accordingly will live a long and inncident free life.

Notice I said incident, and not accident.....no such thing as an accident. An accident is ALWAYS ultimately the result of SOMEONE's failure to prevent the situation from happening in the first place. The use of the word accident is merely an excuse to somehow validate the result to minimize the hurt feelers involved, and I'm not just talking about "firearms accidents".

Gun Safety is found entirely in the head, and nowhere else.......

Just a FYI, new triggers can be set at a pull weight that you might not be happy with and most Timneys come set closer to 4 Lbs and that might be good for some and it might not work for others so trigger adjustments are fairly cheap but please let someone qualified do them if you are in question at all and i would never adjust anything but the pull weight! If you need any further adjustments Timney wants them to be called before you adjust anything but pull weight! Not sure what the other manufacturers recommend but you can make one unsafe really fast if you do not know what you are doing! Also a Gunsmith will know what type of trigger you have and by the inspection can probably tell what adjustments were made in the past because i would suspect manufacturers install a strip of loctite on screws that they do not want anyone adjusting and can tell if the material has been disturbed by it's absence! The loctite will be applied to the outside flats on the screws instead of the threads! This tells someone if the screws have been moved which is evidence of adjustments being made! Pull gage as mentioned way back is a must to check even new triggers and is worth getting one if you plan on replacing or adjusting them? I have the Digital Lyman and it's a great gage as it does a 10 pull average and gun manufacturers will blow smoke and tell you it;s set to 3.5 Lbs but you check it and you might be surprised on how much heavier it actually is! i have found this to be the case with several manufacturers and i keep mine just around 3 Lbs on most of my rifles, my 257 is set a little above 2.5 Lbs but passes the slam fire test so it's just watching the muzzle control and loading it when you are ready to shoot it! Not before!

Here's the rifle in question.
Factory trigger I'm sure. I would say it's around 1 lb.

It's going to sit in the safe for some time anyway before finding out if has any life it it yet.

rifles-004.jpg

rifles-005.jpg