• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Trijicon TR22-2: did I get a bad reticle? UPDATED

vjarnot

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2010
Mathews, AL, USA
Been reading here for a while, finally registered so I could ask this question.

Take a look at the photo of my newly acquired TR22. The bottom post appears to be defective to my eyes - not only is it thicker than the others, but the mil-dots are not centered, and the bottom-most dot appears to have melted and dribbled down the post. What I don't know is whether this is within normal Trijicon tolerances, or not. Your thoughts?

I'll be sending this pic off to Trijicon, but I wanted to get some disinterested-party opinions as well.

891708002_JcPzu-XL.jpg

By the way, the pic was taken with my Canon 100mm Macro - so the fuzziness is due to my complete inability to get the reticle in focus, not due to the quality of the glass on either the scope or camera lens.

Re: Trijicon TR22-2: did I get a bad reticle?

That reticle is FUBAR. They should replace that one without question.

Bob

That's a pretty good picture of a bad reticle, I've seen reticles like that before with poor etch and fill jobs. It definitely needs to be replaced as it is not normal.

You are absolutely correct that the reticle is messed up! They should have no issues replacing it for you. Good luck!

Glad to hear that it's not just me. Anyway, I've submitted Trijicon's web form for return authorization... assuming they take it for repair/replacement, anyone know what their typical turn-around time is?

they will treat you right.no worries.

Thats about how mine and a friends look indoors. I dont think the tr-22's have as good of fiber optics? I take mine outdoors and its super bright, but indoors its dim like that one. Let us know if your replacement is any better.
CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats about how mine and a friends look indoors. I dont think the tr-22's have as good of fiber optics? I take mine outdoors and its super bright, but indoors its dim like that one. Let us know if your replacement is any better.
CJG </div></div>

It's not about the illumination. Did you look at the bottom post of the reticle in the pic?

Oh ya, now I see. hahaha that is pretty bad. the last dot is hardly there.

CJG

Triijicon had my defecctive fiber optice back in 2 1/2 weeks. Great Customer Service.

That reticle is as designed. What you are seeing is the actual fiber running up the front of the reticle. It's the only way to illuminate the dot using fiber. It does appear that the bottom dot is small. Send it in and we can take a look at it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bglimpse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That reticle is as designed. What you are seeing is the actual fiber running up the front of the reticle. It's the only way to illuminate the dot using fiber. It does appear that the bottom dot is small. Send it in and we can take a look at it. </div></div>

Thanks for chiming in. I have applied for a "Return Authorization Number".

I hate, however, to send it in and be without for a couple of weeks only to find out it's within spec.

Just an update: Trijicon has confirmed that they looked at the pic and that the dots along the bottom posts are out of spec. I'll be shipping the scope back tomorrow...

So, two weeks have passed and I got my scope back from Trijicon yesterday. It's definitely better, but I wouldn't exactly say that I'm 100% satisfied... more like 90%.

Here's the (new? fixed?) reticle:

914071214_TC853-XL.jpg

The bottom post is definitely better, although the bottom-most dot still leaves something to be desired. I guess that's the illumination trade-off and must be accepted if one wants Trijicon's snazzy illumination.

I'm happy enough to keep it, especially since it's going on a hunting rifle (6.8 AR), and the pictures really do amplify the inconsistencies.

I have no way to confirm or test this, but I bet if you asked trijicon, that bottom post has a fiber optic in or behind it on the reticle to get your centerpoint lit.
I have a trijicon aimpoint, and it only has a bottom post, and I think that is where the fiber runs for the illumination.

Just a guess as to why the bottom post is more inconsistant than the other three.

madd0c

For as much as Trijicon charges for their scopes, I would be upset and ask for a brand new one.

Here's the reticle from my TR23, mil dots are all centered and the vertical/horizontal stadia's are all even thickness.
IMG_4057.jpg

Well, according to Trijicon, one must accept a bit of bottom-post funkiness as a consequence of the illumination. <span style="font-style: italic">tt350z's</span> picture seems to indicate otherwise... although a larger pic would make for a more direct comparison.

Like I said, while not entirely satisfied, I'm certainly not displeased. However, <span style="font-style: italic">tt350z's</span> picture does appear to show that Trijicon has some variability in what they consider acceptable.

I wish I had the original pics, since they were much larger. But it has been deleted and I no longer have the scope so I can't retake the pic.