• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Turk Mauser?

Travis S

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2004
marietta/macon, ga
Anybody messed with these before. Found a couple for cheap enough to practice on so I'm gonna get them. I'd like to use them to practice drill/tap, re barrel, bolt khandle mods, safeties. I've always heard that they are large ring with small ring threads. So does that mean they can be converted to the same calibers as the large rings or stick with small ring calibers? Any help is appreciated!

Re: Turk Mauser?

THey're mostly large ring with small threads. I have turned a couple into some very nice shooters, including this one pictured below. It will shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA out to 600y and even mil surp junk bullets will shoot right around MOA to 400. NOt bad for a build that has under $600 in it, including me buying the reamer.

P5175442.JPG

Yes, turks are a large ring / small thread mauser that are usually suitable for any LR mauser caliber, pull the barrel and check for lug setback. They have a "funky" reciever ring extension that acts as the handgaurd retainer, this really needs to be turned down on a lathe (but you should face it anyway before rebarreling). Wish they were still $25 a piece from century............

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately they are not $25 ea any more. Still less than $130 each. That's less than the mosin nagants sell for down here. For some reason I've always had a weakness for Mauser rifles.

It turns out that if you turn the threads off of a Remington take off barrel, it's almost perfect to rethread for the K Kale turk mausers....

cost effective if you can thread your own, or have a buddy with a lathe....

I wish they were still $25 too, the one I showed above was $29 including the $10 to ship it.

At one point between my dad and I we had about 2 dozen, they've been built into different various toys here adn there. Other than the stigma of the name, they're still good cheap actions to work with.

I wouldn't lump them in with a trued up Remington 700 but properly built, they're damn close, and there's a very select few shooters who can wring out the differences at any appreciable distance.

Well I took one out today because I didn't feel like scrubbing the cosmoline out of the other. Cheapo surplus ammo I had around. Dam that thing shoots! Recoil is pretty stout with that stock steel plate. It's gonna get restocked, barrel chopped, turned into a pseudo scout rifle. My goal is to keep it less than $300 not including glass.

Half the Turkish Mausers were made at Orberdorf bewteen 1903 and 1905 on short actions in 7.65x53mm. These were rebarrelled and mostly restocked to 8x57mm in 1938. The magazines were brazed longer, the feed ramps cut shorter, and a notch put in the large ring to accept stripper of longer ammo.

The other half off the Turkish Mausers were made in 1938 by K.Kale in 8x57mm. These have magazines long enough for 8mm to start with.

I think for 30-06 length, 3.34", that the K.Kale may be modified, but the 1903 is already stretched.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Half the Turkish Mausers were made at Orberdorf bewteen 1903 and 1905 on short actions in 7.65x53mm. These were rebarrelled and mostly restocked to 8x57mm in 1938. The magazines were brazed longer, the feed ramps cut shorter, and a notch put in the large ring to accept stripper of longer ammo.

The other half off the Turkish Mausers were made in 1938 by K.Kale in 8x57mm. These have magazines long enough for 8mm to start with.

I think for 30-06 length, 3.34", that the K.Kale may be modified, but the 1903 is already stretched. </div></div>

The K Kale receivers will hold 30-06 loaded to book length without a problem, mine loads them to 3.34" without a problem, I have to single feed the longer loaded Amax bullets when I'm shooting something like 178 and 208gr bullets.