• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Turret adjustments at longer ranges

Kms33kms

P=
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2020
Tennessee
Hey fellas , first of all , I know I post a lot of threads , just semi-new to this and love it all so much and when I can’t find the answer for myself on google then it’s just easy to ask y’all. I have a vortex scope that is in MOA. This may be ignorant of me
To ask but just wanted to be sure. Very soon I’m gonna take a long range precision class to maybe educate myself a little better. But ; my scope adjustments are in MOA , so if I am doing 100 yards groups , if I adjust my elevation knob up 1 click (1/4 moa click) it should make my projectile move approximately 1/4 inch on the target. Now , if I were at a 1000 yard target , and if I made the same exact adjustment , 1 click (1/4 click moa) would that still only move my projectile 1/4 of an inch on the thousand yard target also? My brain is telling me for some reason that 1 click on a thousand yard target would move my POI much more than just that 1/4 inch.

If your scope has .250 (1/4 MOA) clicks then one click = 2.62" at 1000 yards as Huskydriver pointed out. The deal is that the scope turrets are measuring an angle that corresponds to 1 MOA =1.047" @100 yards. So 1 MOA @ 1000 yards = 10 X 1.047" or 10.47". So .25 (1/4) x 10.47 = 2.6175 or 2.62" rounded. Simple.

Most folks use 1" per MOA at 100 yards so 10" at 1000 yards and .25 of that is 2.5" which is 0.012" off of the exact sum. I just figure that it's 1" per MOA at 100 and hit my target every time. But I use a ballistics calculator like Strelok Pro and relax. 1 MOA = 1.047" at 100 yards.

It's math. Math is hard. It's a lot easier in Mils 'cause it's base 10.

• Mils and MOA are angular mesurements.
  • MOA is equal to 1.047 inches at 100 yards.
  • Mil is equal to 3.6 inches at 100 yards.
  • MOA is converted to Mils by dividing it by 3.43.
  • Mils is converted to MOA by multiplying by 3.43.

It's all about the clicks and what amount each click is at what distance.

VooDoo

If your scope has .250 (1/4 MOA) clicks then one click = 2.62" at 1000 yards as Huskydriver pointed out. The deal is that the scope turrets are measuring an angle that corresponds to 1 MOA =1.047" @100 yards. So 1 MOA @ 1000 yards = 10 X 1.047" or 10.47". So .25 (1/4) x 10.47 = 2.6175 or 2.62" rounded. Simple.

Most folks use 1" per MOA at 100 yards so 10" at 1000 yards and .25 of that is 2.5" which is 0.012" off of the exact sum. I just figure that it's 1" per MOA at 100 and hit my target every time. But I use a ballistics calculator like Strelok Pro and relax. 1 MOA = 1.047" at 100 yards.

It's math. Math is hard. It's a lot easier in Mils 'cause it's base 10.

• Mils and MOA are angular mesurements.
  • MOA is equal to 1.047 inches at 100 yards.
  • Mil is equal to 3.6 inches at 100 yards.
  • MOA is converted to Mils by dividing it by 3.43.
  • Mils is converted to MOA by multiplying by 3.43.

VooDoo
Thanks man

Good answers above

But what you want to do is sell that and buy one in MILs.

MO’s are so 2021
I figured it would have been easier for me to do things in inches and yards since that was what I am used to. Always had trouble with meters and kilometers and such when I was in the army. Guessing if it makes things easier though I may have to adapt

1670374792231.png

You think thats a good answer, because thats not a good answer. Your adjustment is 1/4 MOA at any distance. Your dope should be in MOA. I.E 12.75 MOA for 600y. All this thinking in inches is and yards is completely irrelevant, as is the base 10 bullshit. Go learn how to make a dope card.

1670375101819.png

There is a reason you don't see inches of drop on there.

Last edited:
Hey fellas , first of all , I know I post a lot of threads , just semi-new to this and love it all so much and when I can’t find the answer for myself on google then it’s just easy to ask y’all. I have a vortex scope that is in MOA. This may be ignorant of me
To ask but just wanted to be sure. Very soon I’m gonna take a long range precision class to maybe educate myself a little better. But ; my scope adjustments are in MOA , so if I am doing 100 yards groups , if I adjust my elevation knob up 1 click (1/4 moa click) it should make my projectile move approximately 1/4 inch on the target. Now , if I were at a 1000 yard target , and if I made the same exact adjustment , 1 click (1/4 click moa) would that still only move my projectile 1/4 of an inch on the thousand yard target also? My brain is telling me for some reason that 1 click on a thousand yard target would move my POI much more than just that 1/4 inch.
1/4 moa at 1000 yards is 1/4 moa. Linear means nothing and does nothing for you but muddy waters. Forget it.

Watch some of Ryan’s videos of you haven’t. They’ll likely be very helpful. Then watch them again.

You don't need a compass or protractor either, you should be putting some info into a ballistic calculator. Use that a base line to start working up some dope. Your dope tells you how much you had to adjust your sight to hit targets at ranges. It should be in MOA, not inches.

And your reticle is the ruler to read your correction and how much you need to adjust.

Reactions: Aftermath
There's no need to do math when behind the scope.

1/4 moa is a 1/4 moa, no matter the distance. Watch the projectile and see where it lands, and measure with the reticle. If you are 1/2 moa off, then adjust your scope by 1/2 moa.

There's no reason to think in units other than what your reticle is in (moa or mil). Don't even think about inches or any linear measurements. Your reticle is the ruler.

I wrote this up some time ago using an image of a protractor. Think of a riflescope more as a fancy protractor than a ruler. Adjustments are angular, not linear.

Simple advice. Stop thinking about inches or any other linear measurement which is something other than the distance to the target. How far a bullet moves in inches or cm or furlongs or red cunt hairs is not relevant. All that matters is MOA or MILS depending on what reticle/turret unit you're using. Also I'm pointing at you and whispering to the guy next to me but I'm not going to tell you what I was whispering.

Reactions: Rob01