• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes US Optics Scope for Hunting??

davwil

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2007
Hill country in Texas
I posted this under hunting but didn't get any response. I'll try here.
I have a US Optics SN4 1.5-6X on my AR and love it. Does anyone have experience using the 3N 3.2-17X on a hunting rifle? I'd like to put it on a 308. Any suggestions, ideas or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: US Optics Scope for Hunting??

Seems like a 17x scope would be overkill on a hunting rifle. How far are you hunting?

I agree with the 1.8-10 I have a 37 not 44 and it works great on a GAP Non typical hunting rifle..

merlinn

sw7r5v.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could go with the SN-3 1.8-10x44 for hunting </div></div>

Would be my choice...

I use both the SN33 1.8-10 and an SN3 3.2-17 on my hunting rifles. I spend a lot of money on hunting and want to make sure my equipment doesn't let me down. US Optics scopes have never let me down. I personally think the 3.2-17 is more versatile, but I hunt in the wide open spaces out west.

I can't vouch for a us optics but I have done a multitude of hunting with a nightforce 5x22x50 and I have never had a problem. When I walk I turn it down, or in thick cover if I can't see to shoot very far I leave it on about 8 to 10 if I'm sitting on a field and can shoot, have time to adjust the patalax and take the time to turn it up, and dispatch my target then great if not leave it turned down the focus is pretty forgiving on the lower powers on a nightforce

3-17 might work great as a varmint hunting scope. Too heavy and more magnification than you need for stalking.

They are very heavy. I have a SN3 on my rem 5r and have taken it out a couple of times but it was a workout.

I never understand all the comments that say too much magnification. I think 3.2 is PLENTY low enough, why not have the extra at the high end in case you want it? I personally like lots of power for getting a good look at a trophy deer if I don't have my spotting scope.

I fingered the 1.8-10, the 1-4, and the 1.5-6 for about 45 minutes at SHOT. Keep in mind the 1.5-6 has the potential of displacing both the type II and type III SPR optics in one optic. In order to do so, its quick target acquisition ability is paramount to play this role.

The 1.8-10 retains the type III optic characteristics of critical eye relief and one eyed shooting on low power. The 1.5-6 does NOT - it comes up fast, is easy to use both eyes open. YET, you can dial it up to 6x and you have a usable mil scale reticle for real precision rifle/type III holds up and off.

The one I spent time with had what USO calls the "zeroing knobs" - still 48 click like the #1 knob, but with the covers on about the size of a beer bottle cap. I would probably opt for the Slimline #1 knobs on it for use as both a Type II and a Type III optic.

Bottom line for hunting though, the 1.5-6 with zeroing knobs would be great for tracking elk running thru the timber through the moderate "long range hunting" shots out to say 600 yards.

The 1.8-10 is a very nice scope, but it acts like a Type III only, not like a Type II.

It would be a great scope remember when hunting keep it at 3.2 initially other wise the magafication will cause you to either loose sight of the animal or pick the wrong one

Great scopes have a 3.2 x 17 canadian and should have bought another when it was for sale .
Bill

I have had my 3.2-17 all across the continent and shot game from ranges of 20 yards to 800 yards. I have even taken it on a Dall Sheep hunt and didn't mind hauling it around. It is my go to scope. The great thing about USO is that you can customize it to however you want it. I have #1 windage and elevation turrets on mine and have caps for them as well if I want to put them on. They are indestructible, glass is great, eye relief is excellent. What's not to like about them as a hunting scope? And they really don't add that much weight to your rig when you put things in perspective. My 7mm Allen Mag (7 Lapua Improved) weighs 11 pounds scoped with the 3.2-17 and in my opinion is the perfect North American hunting rifle and scope combo. Of course, every one else has his or her own favorite combo. You just have to find something that works for your purposes. The 1.8-10 is also a marvelous piece of glass. I just like a little more magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like a 17x scope would be overkill on a hunting rifle. How far are you hunting? </div></div>

I agree, I use(d) nothing but a fixed Leupy 3 power in Alaska for 4 decades of hunting, never once did I need more power.

But, I know of hunters who use high powered scopes for glassing instead of a spotting scope / binos.

As far as USO, yes I would!

45.108 is right on the money. I've never carried a spotting scope or range finder when hunting (mostly whitetail in NE). I've always had something with the high end between 10x and 25x.

As far as USO's go, I really like mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SN#3 1.8-10X37...My Jackrabbit/Coyotee zapper....LUV IT!!!
IMG_0121-1.jpg
</div></div>

real nice setup...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like a 17x scope would be overkill on a hunting rifle. How far are you hunting? </div></div>

I agree, I use(d) nothing but a fixed Leupy 3 power in Alaska for 4 decades of hunting, never once did I need more power.

But, I know of hunters who use high powered scopes for glassing instead of a spotting scope / binos.

As far as USO, yes I would! </div></div>

Well, there's a rational that makes sense: to replace a spotting scope. Not sure how comfortable spending a few hours looking through your high-powered scope is though.

I strongly recommend against using your scope to glass. Don't point a rifle to "look around".

I always carry Leica Geovid Binos for glassing and rangefinding, Swarovski STS HD 65mm spotting scope, and my rifle with usually a USO SN3 3.2-17 and sometimes a USO SN3 1.8-10. Each scope has its intended purpose, but for the majority of the hunting I do, the 3.2-17 gets my vote. It all depends on how and where you hunt.

As far as using a rifle scope as a substitute for either binos or a spotter, I wouldn't do it. I won't go in to the hills without the above mentioned equipment. I am usually after the type of animal that represents 1% or less of the total population, so finding the animal is usually much more difficult than killing it. I prefer to do my finding from long distance and that's where the bino and spotter come in to play. Without one component of this system, I find myself ineffective.

Once again, it depends on your hunting style and the terrain you are hunting. That's why we have so many different pieces of equipment that fulfill different functions.

To get back on topic, by all means go with a USO for a hunting scope. Just be sure you pick the right one for your intended purpose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always carry Leica Geovid Binos for glassing and rangefinding, </div></div>

You should always use binoculars if you can, the biggest advantage of binos is depth of field.
John III

Thanks for all the great input. Sorry for not responding earlier, after the post I had a problem I had to address.
As I get older it, I'm more comfortable with a higher power scope, IU can always turn it down...I do everything from turkey shoots (100 yd head shots) to hunting black buck antelope (200 to 300 yds). I wished I were able to try both a 1.8-10x and a 3.2-17 first but, based on what everyone has contributed, I think I can handle the weight and will go with the 3.2-17. I love these scopes. Thanks again for the help.