• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

V4 vs supertrickler vs ingenuity trickler

Weird.

Are you power cycling the scale with the on/off button or actually unplugging the power supply?

I'd install the ST platen and then unplug the scale, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in and see if it initializes.

The only time my FX120i ever acts up is if I accidentally leave the powder cup on the scale when I power it up.
I’ve done that very thing a dozen times… and same output.

That's strange.

Anything obviously wrong with the ST platen, like maybe a burr or something on the bottom that's hitting the scale bed and not putting any weight on the load cell?

Might also want to try a factory reset on the scale... Page 37 in the manual.

That's strange.

Anything obviously wrong with the ST platen, like maybe a burr or something on the bottom that's hitting the scale bed and not putting any weight on the load cell?

Might also want to try a factory reset on the scale... Page 37 in the manual.
I did all of this, also just got off the phone with Cambridge and we ran though a most of these same processes and still nada. They are having me send it bak to them to inspect :). Good times...

ingenuity purchased my v4 sucks and overthrows all the time

If anyone needs help tuning V4 please email me. [email protected]

There are no good videos out there showing how to do it and we are working on that now.

I'd really like to help anyone who thinks V4 is slower than V3.. it must not be correctly set up because V4 is absolutely faster. Most likely because the importance of having an 0.20 GN/s calibrated flow rate is not understood.

If anyone needs help tuning V4 please email me. [email protected]

There are no good videos out there showing how to do it and we are working on that now.

I'd really like to help anyone who thinks V4 is slower than V3.. it must not be correctly set up because V4 is absolutely faster. Most likely because the importance of having an 0.20 GN/s calibrated flow rate is not understood.

There’s no videos showing how to properly use a product that’s been out for over a year? I’ve emailed about this thing multiple times and it overthrows by 15-40% even though I calibrate everytime using h1000 and h4350

Hi Maury,

We had 35 emails in a thread in July 2022 and the result concluded in that it was working well. There were many too much details we discussed to go into in public here but the basics of having a measured flow rate of close to 0.20 and then running in that condition is always going to be the first and most important step. Throughout our email exchange the measured flow rates you were showing me were generally far off from this indicating the leveling of the V4 was changing each time you go to use it, which of course will cause problems. If you'd like to continue with help please email me and we can try again and take it one step at a time.

Adam

Hi Maury,

We had 35 emails in a thread in July 2022 and the result concluded in that it was working well. There were many too much details we discussed to go into in public here but the basics of having a measured flow rate of close to 0.20 and then running in that condition is always going to be the first and most important step. Throughout our email exchange the measured flow rates you were showing me were generally far off from this indicating the leveling of the V4 was changing each time you go to use it, which of course will cause problems. If you'd like to continue with help please email me and we can try again and take it one step at a time.

Adam
I'll email - but it's a static unit that doesn't move on my bench but maybe once every 7 months so those flow rates changes are not from moving the unit.

Here is a screenshot from the app which shows the measured flow rate and the explanation within the app about what this means and how important it is. In order to help anyone tune V4 the first thing is to understand that the flow rate has to be in the right window or else it will not be able to run both quickly and precisely.

If anyone is having trouble with V4 and feels it is slow or overshooting but they have not been using the new app with the calibrated flow rate in this range, please try again, and email me for help if it's still not working perfectly.

The original ramp down algorithm in V4 was similar to V3 and generally fairly conservative and slow. There was more potential for sub 10 second cycle times with the V4 mechanics so with the new version of the app I improved the performance, however it is more important than ever to ensure the flow rate is in the right window for this to be beneficial.

Make sure the flow rate is 0.20, adjust tilt as necessary to reach this, put all the sliders in the middle of their ranges, run a few cycles to let it settle in, and then make small adjustments from there, and I promise it will work as well as anyone could ever need from a powder dispenser.

Unless there is something wrong with your setup specifically, which would require some troubleshooting, by email.

Attachments

• flow rate detail.PNG
    flow rate detail.PNG
    98.6 KB · Views: 48
  • flow rate.PNG
    flow rate.PNG
    54 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: memilanuk
I posted this video in Feb 2022 covering how to tune V4. This uses the old version of the app but the concepts apply.

And this is a more recent video showing specifically N570 because the kernels are huge:

This is an example of how to tune using the new app but with a focus on N570 which is an extreme case. Most powders work at one tilt angle and spacers are not needed.

Waiting to learn more about the next release of the Ingenuity Trickler. I'm on the next shipment for the STv2

Figured I would update the thread. I actually decided to order a autotrickler v4. I think overall from reading a great unit. I was tired of waiting for the IP unit and with the $995 plus shield I couldn't justify that for me personally and my wallet. I've been waiting to purchase something for over a year and didn't want to wait anymore

So finally been playing with the v4 and I ended up ordering the spacers which are a must for this. I just loaded 53 rd for 30 nosler 77 grains imr 7977 took me 24 min. I had to adjust my seating die and had a few other throws but I did play with settings speeding things up. I'm still not 100% fine tuned. But basically it throws a charge I load a round ansmd the next throw is ready. I think the Ingenuity trickler set up will be better overall but I don't have any complaints really. It sped up my reloading more than double so far

The IP devices shaping up to be the king of the hill among the three in the OP.

IF $995 is too steep for you, you should see a flood of discounted v4 and Superspillers on the market in a few months.

Superspillers are already going for under $500 used

IF $995 is too steep for you, you should see a flood of discounted v4 and Superspillers on the market in a few months.

I already bought a v4. Got the spacers and honestly couldn't be happier. I think I got it tuned for the 2 powders we mainly use which it's the same settings. I get a few overthrows but basically throw a charge load a round the next one is ready so can't complain. I loaded 53 rds the other day in 25 min I think and had to reset die so not bad I don't think

I thought I remembered you doing a ton of tweaking and getting good results from the ST when they first hit the market.

Did an update from ST ruin it, or was it just too positive of an initial take and more time on the machine lead to regular failures?

I have had a ST for months.

Best upgrade I have to date. Fast, accurate, consistent, easy enough to set up.

I have a gen 1, and have not even upgraded the software.

42.0gr H4350 in 5 seconds to a single kernel. Either zero or +.02gr.

87.0gr N570 in about 12 seconds. To within .04+/-. When the N570 kernel weighs .08gr, that is to within 1/2 kernel.

And everything in between.

^^^ I 'm guessing the results you're posting here have accuracy in the 80% range tops.

I have good reason to believe this. But if I'm wrong, be my guest and load up 50 rounds on video and post it along with the counter reading, starting at 9PM EST today. I (and many others) would love to see those drop times with 4350 and what the success % is. I will be shocked if it's over 85%, let alone 90%.

I was *initially* happy with the ST, but could never consistently get the accuracy up near or over 90% with the extruded powders and got sick and tired of discarding one of every 3-4 charges as an overage (which is why they include a funnel!). I also beta tested over 100 (yes 100!) beta versions for an update and came to realize that there is NO software solution to a hardware problem (vibratory tube). I was a late comer to the beta tester group, so I did not receive a free machine. My guess is many/all other beta testers are too shy to speak up because they got a free kit.

Furthermore, the damn thing causes tons of scale drift (which I only realized after I sold it. with the ST atop the scale it would drift all over the damned place, and now that it's gone, my scale doesn't drift AT ALL).

AND, I reload in the garage where temps vary throughout the day/year. If you get settings for that GD vibrator set up working good at one temp, and then the temp changes, it no longer works. This also includes the initial vibrator settings, and it also means that as the vibrator heats up during a session, it vibrates faster, requiring a setting change. Which is why I call it the Super Spiller - I constantly had kernels all over the bench, and constantly had to fiddle with the settings to get acceptable results. And I was a "group expert' and beta tester, so I knew how to tweak the shit out of that machine like few others. And it was still a major pain in the arse for me.

If anybody has one that's working to their satisfaction, good for them and I wish you the best. I tested the thing over 100 beta versions with a range of powders, literally thousands of rounds, and became increasingly dissatisfied and sold it.

YMMV.

ETA, yes, the updates made some things better but many results worse. Also, as I have mentioned elsewhere, the addition of the "success rate" counter dashed my hopes when I had a running count of successes rather than an optimistic guess. The counter shows you how many youi're discarding and it's really disheartening. Sadly, the "success rate" counter was my idea/request, which was accommodated.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas and nalye
I also tagged you as quite the optimistic character for the ST back then and I enjoyed reading your reviews and opinions but hey, opinions change. For those that are happy with their machine it's a godsend. Extruded powders on the other hand seem to be the arch nemesis of this thing?
Well, thank god I was able to sell mine for €750 (cost me ~€900 due to 25% tax within Denmark). I mean, the IP trickler will also run me the better part of $1400 with shipping and import tax but the conversion rate is in my favour at least now so it will be like €1250 then. Fucking hell, this is a hobby within a hobby and it's more expensive than the rest... Hopefully it's a buy once, cry once thing but I thought I cried once before.

Reactions: secondofangle2
“When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?”

- John Maynard Keynes

In all seriousness, I was initially impressed, but then there was a software change the one with over 100 beta versions, and I had enough time as the seasons changed to identify the other problems.

I wrote the supertrickler off pretty quick. The v4 offers a solid unit for a great price but there is some tweaking needed. The IP is prolly going to be the best from the looks of it but time will tell once it's out in the public and more people and using it. It does have the biggest price tag of them all $995 plus sheild

If the IP dropper works as well as the IP trickler then it will be a great product. I use the IP trickler with the V3 and it works very well. There are still a small percentage of overthrows, but it is fast and accurate overall. With the new IP controller electronics the IP dropper/trickler looks like it will be faster and even more precise. Win-win.

I should also explain my IP trickler is optimized to get the powder charge to an exact amount. If I'm throwing a 40.7gr charge I have the trickler setting at 40.71 which normally results in a 40.70 charge. If I get 40.68 I manually turn the trickler screw a tiny bit to get one more grain. If it goes to 40.72 I throw the charge back in the hopper. I could just set it up to throw to 40.70 and it would mostly get results of 40.68 and occasionally 40.70 and never get an overthrow. I'm being exceptionally picky about my charge weights so when I say a I get a small percentage of overthrows it is mostly due to the settings I use to try to be more exact.

Last edited:
I loaded another 50 tonight started around 8 but had to prime and started throwing charges. Took Me under 30 min to get done with some overthrows. The overthrows were more tonight not sure why but still happy with performance. My over throws were mainly 83.04 my goal was 83. I use n565 which it weighs .06 per kernel if I remember correctly. So not terrible but I did have some 83.06 and 83.10.

My v4 does make some noise every now and again on left side before starting. I sent an email actually a few but still nothing yet

I am looking forward to hearing the reports of people who have installed super spiller firmware V3

If I had to rank them after owning a few and my buddies who have owned multiples of all of them:

From best to worst:

V3 with Ingenuity / Prometheus
Super Trickler
V2/V3
V4
RCBS or other chicom shit

I had the v4 which was a dud. Upgraded to ST, which has its own issues but much better than the v4. Adam knows the issues and keeps playing dumb and posting bullshit on the forums. Its a waste of time at this point trying to deal with him.

I have 2 of the IP Ingenutiy new throwers on pre-order.

What you think @NiteQwill ? @Sheldon N

The Ingenuity Precision trickler is amazing.

You can just buy an A&D FX120i (if you don’t already have one), ~$100 in parts, and the IP tricker and drop the bulk charge manually if you want until the automated bulk drop system is out. That’s how I do it and I love it, I probably won’t even get the automated bulk drop system since I love how simple and bonehead-proof my setup is.

Even dropping the bulk charges manually, powder for 100rds takes less than 10 minutes (including getting the powder in the hopper and then putting it back in the jug). No headaches, no over’s… ever.

your manual thrower is pretty damn consistent for this short video

I been playing with my v4 and I got it tuned throwing charges every 10 to 12 seconds. I loaded 50 rds and I seat bullets in my process. It took me 24 min and I took a phone call and sent some texts and took a video so a little side tracked. I can barely keep up throwing a charge then seating bullet. Out of the 50 I had 3 to 4 over throws.

Goal charge yesterday was 81
Overthrow was 81.06 to 81.08
Most of charges were 80.98 to 81 grains but I accepted 81.04.

I use n565 which weighs .04 so even at 81.04 it's one kernel

Reactions: John Glidewell
I have a strong opinion that you should set your tolerance to 1/2 the weight of a single kernel. Because if it lands on 80.96 with 0.04 gr kernels, you don't want it to stop there, you want one more kernel for an even 81.0 grains

Reactions: Schütze
I have a strong opinion that you should set your tolerance to 1/2 the weight of a single kernel. Because if it lands on 80.96 with 0.04 gr kernels, you don't want it to stop there, you want one more kernel for an even 81.0 grains
I never had one stop at 80.96. I've just been fireforming brass but once I do load development I will see what it does to sd. Before I loaded pretty much exact amount

your manual thrower is pretty damn consistent for this short video

That video was of me dropping Sta-Ball 6.5 (a fairly temp insensitive ball powder), and yeah, with a decent powder measure and some reps, the drops can be pretty consistent.

Using Sta-Ball, I could/can drop charges straight into cases for practice on half-MOA targets out to 1000yrds…

…though, I don’t do that anymore of course, since getting the IP all my ammo is to the nearest kernel/flake lol 😝

I am looking forward to hearing the reports of people who have installed super spiller firmware V3
ST gen 1 with aluminum tubes, F/W 3.0, H4831SC, 50gn SP, AI only...25 throws, 8.9 seconds, 83% success. most overs were +.04gn

A little birdie pointed out to me that there are now two Prometheus GEN two dispensers available for sale on the used market

Amazing how new products drive anticipatory moves in the entire market

And I pity the poor fools with those beautiful, but dated Prometheus machines. Basically gold bricks without the fungibility or appreciation

Yeah sure.

If you have a Super trickler and are burnt out, give the V3.0 a try. It's a real game changer. I think there's a good chance that V2.50 will leave a lasting impression on consumers but V3.0 makes the ST competitive again.

The main issue with V2.50 was that the tinkering was endless with very little to show. Tinkering can be fun sometimes but it got a little out of hand and made reloading kinda frustrating.

V3.0 Turned a corner for the ST, it's now throwing Varget with great success and the AI is very fast and effective. Within 10 throws AI was turned off and I could load.
20240106_140853.jpg

There's still room to adjust but I'm happy with these numbers.

If you think 13 seconds is good…

Show us a video of that vibrator “dithering” after the bulk drop.

I just couldn’t stand to watch it for 10 seconds.

Drove me nuts.

Also, for others looking at this post: look at his tolerances. It is under by 0.02 and over by 0.04, which is two kernels of VARGET.

Before I retired my machine in frustration, I realized that if I increase the tolerances, I could increase the accuracy A LOT. But most guys don’t want to do that for a powder like Varget with kernels weighing 0.02 grains.

And finally, for anyone seriously considering a super spiller, don’t look at any accuracy results below a minimum of 50 and better yet 100 throws.

It is too easy for a guy to get a good stretch of 20 in a reloading session of 100 or 200 rounds, and post those results. They are not representative of the next several hundred rounds. If they were, the poster would show you a session of 100 rounds. I can’t tell you how many times I loaded 20 rounds and got frustrated with the time or the accuracy and then reset the counter and made some changes and did it again. Over and over. If you do enough rounds and make enough changes you eventually get lucky and get a stretch like in the picture above. But then you keep going and the results worsen and you erase it and start over.

I went through 10,000 rounds as a beta tester and witnessed this phenomenon over and over: getting excited when you had 20 in a row that looked good only to be disappointed for the next 500 rounds until you lucked out again on a stretch of 20 and then filmed the video and put it on YouTube and then got disappointed immediately thereafter when *regression to the mean* kicked in. In between, I was making all sorts of tweaks to the machine, which gave me the reasonable optimism that I was going to strike gold. And yet, each time, regression to the mean, dashed my hopes.

This thing gives accuracy of no greater than 80 some percent over long stretches when the tolerance is set to a reasonable +\- 0.02 and I will believe otherwise when somebody shows me a session of 200 rounds with better results.

Turd herder, please show us a picture of the results after a 100 round loading session, so that purchasers can make an informed decision. While you are at it, please change your tolerances to +\-0.02 grains, which is both the tolerance of the scale, and the weight of one kernel of VARGET.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jackomason
If you think 13 seconds is good…

Show us a video of that vibrator “dithering” after the bulk drop.

I just couldn’t stand to watch it for 10 seconds.

Drove me nuts.

Also, for others looking at this post: look at his tolerances. It is under by 0.02 and over by 0.04, which is two kernels of VARGET.

Before I retired my machine in frustration, I realized that if I increase the tolerances, I could increase the accuracy A LOT. But most guys don’t want to do that for a powder like Varget with kernels weighing 0.02 grains.

And finally, for anyone seriously considering a super spiller, don’t look at any accuracy results below a minimum of 50 and better yet 100 throws.

It is too easy for a guy to get a good stretch of 20 in a reloading session of 100 or 200 rounds, and post those results. They are not representative of the next several hundred rounds. If they were, the poster would show you a session of 100 rounds. I can’t tell you how many times I loaded 20 rounds and got frustrated with the time or the accuracy and then reset the counter and made some changes and did it again. Over and over. If you do enough rounds and make enough changes you eventually get lucky and get a stretch like in the picture above. But then you keep going and the results worsen and you erase it and start over.

I went through 10,000 rounds as a beta tester and witnessed this phenomenon over and over: getting excited when you had 20 in a row that looked good only to be disappointed for the next 500 rounds until you lucked out again on a stretch of 20 and then filmed the video and put it on YouTube and then got disappointed immediately thereafter when *regression to the mean* kicked in. In between, I was making all sorts of tweaks to the machine, which gave me the reasonable optimism that I was going to strike gold. And yet, each time, regression to the mean, dashed my hopes.

This thing gives accuracy of no greater than 80 some percent over long stretches when the tolerance is set to a reasonable +\- 0.02 and I will believe otherwise when somebody shows me a session of 200 rounds with better results.

Turd herder, please show us a picture of the results after a 100 round loading session, so that purchasers can make an informed decision. While you are at it, please change your tolerances to +\-0.02 grains, which is both the tolerance of the scale, and the weight of one kernel of VARGET.
You wanted to hear from someone that had the update on supertrickler I asked him to post his results since he's the only one I know with one. I guess i set him up for failure. By no means is this suppose to be like that. Just passing on some info

Oh, brother, it’s pretty clear that I have chilled my enthusiasm of the super spiller

Yet, let’s not be distracted from what an actual result would be:

Prospective purchasers need to see the results with Vargas or H 4350 after a session of 100 throws, with the tolerance set at 0.02 grains

Because those are the only results that one should base a purchase decision upon

Here is the first 150 after firmware update. I haven't played with the settings because I am in middle of loading 800 rounds for matches but so far its MUCH more accurate than pre-update. I was right around 60-65% success. Now hovering around 90%. Of the remaining 10%, like 8% of that is .04 over. Every once in a while bulk drop will go over but way less with the 3.0 update.

I went from RCBS to V4 AT to the ST. So happy with it now I just ordered a second ST. Should minimize any downtime and will throw as fast as I can dump.

20240109_110348.jpg

Reactions: nalye
Here is the first 150 after firmware update. I haven't played with the settings because I am in middle of loading 800 rounds for matches but so far its MUCH more accurate than pre-update. I was right around 60-65% success. Now hovering around 90%. Of the remaining 10%, like 8% of that is .04 over. Every once in a while bulk drop will go over but way less with the 3.0 update.

I went from RCBS to V4 AT to the ST. So happy with it now I just ordered a second ST. Should minimize any downtime and will throw as fast as I can dump.

View attachment 8318386
Do you keep the .04 over?

View attachment 8318386

This is EXACTLY what I would expect from the ST: 18 seconds average, 80% range (meaning 80-90% success over long stretches), with 150 drops and +/-0.02 for H4350 or VARGET.

Each can decide for himself if these results are acceptable and make an informed choice.

And at $400 used, that's not a bad deal. At $750 new - NO WAY, I'm going with the IP for another $250

When most of us bought the AT4 and ST, the IP was not an option. It came out after.

We get it, you like the IP. I haven't even messed with any settings or tuning. Just updated the firmware and starting throwing. I am confident I can get throws down to 10-12 seconds. Hell one of my throws was 1.9 Seconds and right on the money.

Just sharing what we are seeing now. I am sure as more people experiment now that the 3.0 firmware is out we will see much better number than the past. Still better than an autotrickler V4, and having a touch screen and not needing a tablet or numberboard is nice.

I have 2 of the new IP tricklers on Pre-order by the way. When then come I will decide what to keep and what to sell.

Anyway you slice it the community is in a MUCH better place than 5 years ago. $5500 Prometheus or shitty RCBS matchmasters. We have better options today that are more accurate and faster, and the prices will only come down over time.