• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Viper PST Parallax MarkingsAccuracy?

Kalman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
How accurate are the markings on the parallax adjustment for the Viper PST? I've read several reviews and it's not something I've seen covered. Anyone who owns one have any input on this?

Re: Viper PST Parallax MarkingsAccuracy?

The markings shouldn't matter. Just keep adjusting the parallax adjustment until there is no movement in the reticle in relation to the target.

I find that they are a little bit off, but I don't think it really matters if they are correct with the markings. The markings are more of guidelines anyways, and I just look through the scope while I adjust until it is sharp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The markings shouldn't matter. Just keep adjusting the parallax adjustment until there is no movement in the reticle in relation to the target.</div></div>
I understand how to do that, but at the same time, it would be nice to simply be able to dial it in without having to check every time.

You could just adjust it to each yardage and put a more precise mark with a silver sharpie if you really want it precise.

There is another factor that is not being considered here, and that is the Diopter setting on the eyepiece. If you have to adjust the Diopter setting for your eyes, in which case it is no longer at the "Zero" Diopter setting, it's going to throw off your parallax range markings. At least that has been my experience....

(Edited to add) I suspect that Remau308's diopter setting is pretty close to zero, and that's why his yardage markers are pretty close to those marked. The farther from zero diopter you get, the more the parallax range markings will be off. So it's a user issue, rather than a scope issue. Again, in my experience....

Cheers,

Bill

I'm surprised they put numbers on there to be honest. seems like most manufacturers show you which way it increases and decrease and leave it at that.

Parallax numbers are as accurate as a BDC at best, meaning as soon atmospheric conditions change from the calibrated atmosphere, they are off. The air acts as a lens in the whole optical system from target to eye, and it changes its index of refraction with temperature, humidity etc. That's why you see reflections on a hot road under certain angles, a change of index of refraction in layers of air with different temperature that bends the light rays. The same effect also messes with parallax-free range. There's more reasons for changes in parallax-free setting, so numbers should be regarded as a rough guideline at best.

As a manufacturer you can choose between complaints about not having marks on the parallax and complaints about the marks not being accurate.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Parallax numbers are as accurate as a BDC at best, meaning as soon atmospheric conditions change from the calibrated atmosphere, they are off. The air acts as a lens in the whole optical system from target to eye, and it changes its index of refraction with temperature, humidity etc. That's why you see reflections on a hot road under certain angles, a change of index of refraction in layers of air with different temperature that bends the light rays. The same effect also messes with parallax-free range. There's more reasons for changes in parallax-free setting, so numbers should be regarded as a rough guideline at best.

As a manufacturer you can choose between complaints about not having marks on the parallax and complaints about the marks not being accurate.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Did not know this. Or the part about the diopter affecting it. Thanks for the lesson on both!

I have my diopter set at +.25 and at 200 yards the parallax is set to roughly 275.

I have used USO, Leupold, and Vortex and none are even close for me. My eyes are terrible and the reticle focus is much more important to me than marks on the side focus knob. Just adjust until clear.

I don't even look at the markings, I adjust until parallax is gone and shoot.
Who the hell cares what the markings indicate?

Use your reticle for ranging, not your parallax knob.

Besides, it is typically more effective to make large adjustments while focusing instead of trying to finesse it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't even look at the markings, I adjust until parallax is gone and shoot.
Who the hell cares what the markings indicate?

Use your reticle for ranging, not your parallax knob.

Besides, it is typically more effective to make large adjustments while focusing instead of trying to finesse it. </div></div>

Wait, do people seriously try to range with the parallax? For the sake of mankind I hope not.

"Dude we shot a target infinity yards away!"

I always adjusted it without looking. No one told me to but I figured my eyes were good enough to tell me when the sight picture is clear.