• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Want to have my 1903A3 re-barrelled by Krieger

acidone

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2010
Chicago, Il
Hey guys,

I have a good condition Smith and Corona 1903A3 that is nice, but it doesn't have the original stock and isn't a #'s matching piece. The barrel looks like it's seen better days and i was thinking about having Krieger change the barrel for me. I'm wondering if anyone has had this done and if it's worth the $600 to have a really nice shooting 1903? Any input is appreciated
smile.gif

Re: Want to have my 1903A3 re-barrelled by Krieger

you may want to look up the serial # and make sure it is going to be okay with modern ammo... theres a list of them that are not suitable for new ammo and can blow up... personaly i would put the 600 on a modern action vs a 03

The problem rifles were low numbered 1903's. The later ones ,all the A1's and the 03A3's were and are good. There are new GI barrels still floating around that can be had for less than $600.00.As said thats a lot for an 03A3 barrel.Carefull of the Sedgley 1943 USMC barrels some of them were salvaged and straightened.

There is no such thing as a "#s matching" 03A3. Or, if you come across one, it is a misguided forgery of some sort.

The CMP sells Criterion barrels for under $200. Another $100 for a smith to fit it and finish chamber and you are done for half the cost.

From the CMP ESTORE:

"Item ID: 065CRI/A3
Description: Barrel, New Criterion 1903A3 RIFLE, 4140 CHROME MOLY STEEL
New 1903A3 barrels by Criterion Barrels, Inc., a Division of
Krieger Barrels, 4140 chrome moly steel, button rifled, con-
toured and finish lapped after contouring. Comply with CMP
competition rules and are legal for the 03 Matches. Park-
erized like the original 1903A3 and chambered .010 away from
finish size to be fitted and headspaced when assembled to
fit your receiver and bolt dimensions.
ASSEMBLY AND HEADSPACING BY A QUALIFIED GUNSMITH IS REQUIRED"

viewImage.aspx