• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What are my options for optics mounts? (REPR)

daplague

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2007
Finally got into the semi-auto precision rifle game by picking up a 20" REPR and I've got a FFP Mk4 3.5-10 to throw on it.

One thing I've seen people display frustration with is a lack of optics mounts for AR platform hosts to allow enough elevation adjustment.

I'm probably going to go with a Spuhr cantilever but at over 400 bucks I thought I'd see what my other options are.

I guess I could go with an AI mount but was curious if the hide has any insight. A QD mount would be preferred but is not necessary.

TIA,
DaPlague

ETA: Looking for something 20 MOA.

Re: What are my options for optics mounts? (REPR)

You'll get 100 opinions and 99 of them will be valid but I've changed my position on flat-top mounts lately. I've always run 1-piece 20moa mounts for exactly the same reason...more elevation, but there's a double-edged sword here and I've learned a few things through trial and error...

1. Its extremely hard to shoot an auto accurately, even at 800 yards. Take one out to 850 and beyond and accuracy doesn't improve. Add the slightest breeze into the mix and things go down hill fast.
2. Generally speaking canted mounts seem to put the scope centerline slightly higher above bore centerline than properly sized level rings, and all things being equal, lower is always better
3. Will you actually ever shoot to the 1200 yards that a canted base will afford? And if so how often? If only seldom why not just hold-over?
4. A decent scope with the right rings should easily get you to 1k with a little left over.

Maybe its the placebo effect. Maybe I've overcome a plateau. Maybe I'm just getting better. But lately I feel I'm shooting better and it coincides largely with lowering my optic to the point where is hugs the rail better. Whatever it is, the point being is it's likely that very few actually <span style="text-decoration: underline">need</span> that extra few mils elevation that a 20 moa mount gives you. Just a thought and YMMV.

I ran the NF Unimount on my POF Creedmoor when I had it and have ran a Badger 22moa riser and rings of choice on others. Either would be a tossup recommendation.

BattleAx covered most of the rest regarding SA precision rifles and distance. Doable, but harder than a boltgun.

Thanks guys for the great input guys.

BattleAxe, you make a great point about the need, honestly I can't say I'll do much, if anything at that range with this gun, I've always just been of the "better to have it and not need it..." camp.

I happen to have a set of low Badgers and Medium USO rings laying around, I guess the smart thing is to see which of those works best for me for now and if this rifle proves to keep asking for more I can address it later.

Sobrbiker, I'd never seen the Badger riser before, that does look like an appealing option that I'll keep in mind.

Thanks guys!

BattleAxe knows much more than I, but if you decide you still want a 20MOA QD mount Scott at LibertyOptics announced a couple days ago that the ADM recon mounts would be out in a 20 MOA version. I have the regular one on a 308 AR and it's a quality mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daplague</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always just been of the "better to have it and not need it..." camp. </div></div> Believe me I'm "guilty as charged" for operating that same way and it has been my mantra when configuring my rifles. In the case of mounts on AR10's I'm not even sure what made me change but something just didn't "feel" right about my cheek weld and I couldn't put my finger on it.

I know that part of it was having to shoot in 95 degree heat with 90% hunidity with my cheek on a plastic stock. It was like shooting off of a greased pig. I addressed that by adding non-skid to the cheek riser and WOW...what a difference.

I then looked at my mount...a 20moa Aadmount which is a <span style="font-style: italic">stellar</span> piece of gear, but it suffers from the same ailment that all one-pieces suffer from..."one size fits all" construction in a world where not all optics and rifles are the same. It simply looked higher than it needed to be. Now I shoot rings and my optic sits maybe 1/8 inches off the rail and it at least seems to have improved things from a repeatability standpoint.

Again my improvement may be due to a completely different factor that I've yet to uncover but when it comes to accuracy, I don't tease the tiger and I stick with what works, even if it turns out to be imaginary so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Lots of options and way more opinions.

My experience with the KAC single pc mount was that it worked quite well for me. I also ran a set of high Leupold Mk4 rings on the same rifle with the same results but it's not to say it'll work for you. Finding the right set-up can be a challange as everyones requirements vary a bit and ergonomics play such a big part.

I didn't need quick release so no worries but hunt around and you'll find lots of ideas.

+2 for ADM Recon.

For fixed stock AR's you can't go wrong with a Magpul PRS too. Simple to dial in perfect cheek weld. That is if you can live with the weight and the price.

My NF scopes have enough elevation adjustment with a flat mount.
I am looking at a 20 degree Recon for an IOR scope that only has 75 min of total elevation adjustment.

I like QR mounts, since I have backup irons. You know, for Zombie Armageddon.

I've got a Mega MA-Ten and I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. Although for me it's a matter of saving up for glass and mount. The glass that I'll be getting is MK4 FFP 3.5-10 or 4.5-14.

So in the meantime when I first threw my rifle all together about 2 weeks ago I stole the Rock River 1 piece mount and Leupy Mark 2 off of my wife's AR 15. While the mount isn't a QD (or even a torque-able mount) is doesn't mount up pretty stout. But it is just way to high for a good cheek weld. It works awesome on an AR15 since I can a decent enough weld to shoot it. With my Mega though I wanted something better.

So a bit ago I was in the process of selling my M1A and it had a Leupy Mark2 on it as well. I was going to get a used MK4 but one deal or another didn't work so I settled on using the Mark 2 and just getting a mount for it. I managed to snag a WARNE R.A.M.P. mount off here in the for sale section and couldn't be happier.

The R.A.M.P. mount is somewhere in the ballpark 1.4-1.5 for center of objective to top of rail (with a 1 inch maintube) and I'm very content. Now to be honest about it, the only reason I've looked at this mount is the 45 offset rails. I've wanted to try out a Micro so I took the plunge. I am highly satisfied with this mount.

I know QD is the way to go but I read on one of the threads that we all torque the hell out of the rings on our bolt guns but then go QD on our SAs. It's funny to think about but true.

For me I'm very happy with my optic set up. Once I get the coin to get a new piece of glass I'll be back in the market for a mount. I like RAMP since it has the offset and I think I'm sold on the Micro RD philosophy, we'll see how it goes this weekend. Will I get a 30mm version or go QD and an additional 45 mount? For this set up (and I'm liking it, have I mentioned that) is awesome since everything is together right there in one package.

Battleaxe

I don't really get it.

If you have a scope that without any optical problems can be mounted in 20 Moa then I cannot see anything wrong with it.
You don't loose anything, and you can still zero it at 100 yards.

Using low rings on an AR is not always that easy due to the ergonomics of the gun.
Mostly users seems to prefer a mount that is somewhere in the 1,3-1,5" area, and that is where mostly mounts are.
So in my opinion it feels difficult to use low rings.

And by the way, for those who prefer really low on an AR10, we have 1,18" mounts, but in my opinion that is way to low for mostly shooters.

I am not so convinced that QD is the way to go.
The ONLY thing that is very important on a long range sniper gun is the ability to hit.
Each time, and that the spot where you want, no POI changes and regardless of weather and temperature.
I don't really see what the QD mount improves that ability.
So in my opinion, if you really wanna be able to hit at long range, go for fixed mounts. If the possiblity to change scope is most important and you feel that you really are going to use a CQB scope on the gun very ofter go for QD.
But do it with the knowledge that it migth costs you some of the accuracy.

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Battleaxe

I don't really get it.

If you have a scope that without any optical problems can be mounted in 20 Moa then I cannot see anything wrong with it.
You don't loose anything, and you can still zero it at 100 yards.

Using low rings on an AR is not always that easy due to the ergonomics of the gun.
Mostly users seems to prefer a mount that is somewhere in the 1,3-1,5" area, and that is where mostly mounts are.
So in my opinion it feels difficult to use low rings.

And by the way, for those who prefer really low on an AR10, we have 1,18" mounts, but in my opinion that is way to low for mostly shooters.

I am not so convinced that QD is the way to go.
The ONLY thing that is very important on a long range sniper gun is the ability to hit.
Each time, and that the spot where you want, no POI changes and regardless of weather and temperature.
I don't really see what the QD mount improves that ability.
So in my opinion, if you really wanna be able to hit at long range, go for fixed mounts. If the possiblity to change scope is most important and you feel that you really are going to use a CQB scope on the gun very ofter go for QD.
But do it with the knowledge that it migth costs you some of the accuracy.
Håkan </div></div>
What I'm referring to specifically is the height of the optic above bore centerline and the effect of a canted reticle (or rifle) on accuracy at long range. You have to consider that not everyone here is a trained sniper. Experience levels run the gamut from novice to scary-accurate. An optic that is higher than absolutely necessary in the hands of a less experienced shooter may make the weapon more unforgiving than it already is, so at least in theory you <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> lose something.

I think everyone here has learned through personal experience how difficult shooting an auto at distance is, and the slightest variable has a greater effect on shot placement than shooting a bolt gun. In that context removing/reducing those variables when possible (and practical) is likely a good idea. This is just an opinion but I don't believe that good ergonomics necessarily equal accuracy and in the case of height above bore there is a trade-off. It may only be slight but we're talking autos here and again...very few are successful at distance with them.

Keep in mind that I'm not making any blanket statements. I think its good that you folks offer different heights and in fact your mount was on the top of my list when I was looking, but you don't make one to fit a USO TPAL so I couldn't try one.

I agree with you 100% on fixed versed QD.

Take a loook....20in REPR with a USO SN-3 with QD mounts from ARMS.

lwrc5.jpg

It has been posted that ARMS has some questionable business practices. I wonder if he will sue me for posting that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What height are you running on your AR10?

Håkan

</div></div>

1.07 Aadmount rings. I have a GAP 10 and they would be too short for a standard AR10 flat top. The GAP 10 upper rail sits higher that what is typical due to the monolithic upper design.

LOTS of good options out there that suits the OPS requirements. If I were looking for a canted one piece mount for an AR Nightforce is where I would look. Also when it comes to the QD thing. This is something that needs to be looked at from the practical stand point. Does the shooter have BUIS on the rifle and does the shooter plan to practice with them (they should)? BUIS were the only reason I went with a QD mount on my LR308.

I have a Ar-10 SASS and really like my QD one piece mount from Mark Larue, check out Lurue tactics and he is a great guy to do buisness with, and made in Texas not china- my two cents.

I have a Ar-10 SASS and really like my QD one piece mount from Mark Larue, check out Lurue tactics and he is a great guy to do buisness with, and made in Texas not china- my two cents.