• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What beam powder scale do you use?

I have three different beam scales now, including a 1010. I won't say what they are, they're just what I have. But any scale I have, had or have used - which are several - worked as well as the others. IF I had to start over tomorrow I'd probably get a new Redding just because it's heavy and very stable but I'd likely be just as happy with a 505 ... or a 502. Or a Dillon.

The 1010 scale is an up-grade ONLY if there's a need to weigh something in excess of 505 grains. In more than four decades of reloading with mine I haven't used the extended range (above 505 gr.) for loading yet.

I have three different beam scales now, including a 1010. I won't say what they are, they're just what I have. But any scale I have, had or have used - which are several - worked as well as the others. IF I had to start over tomorrow I'd probably get a new Redding just because it's heavy and very stable but I'd likely be just as happy with a 505 ... or a 502. Or a Dillon.

The 1010 scale is an up-grade ONLY if there's a need to weigh something in excess of 505 grains. In more than four decades of reloading with mine I haven't used the extended range (above 505 gr.) for loading yet.

Yeah, but I like the hard shell cover etc that comes with the 10-10-----I just don't like it enough to replace my 5-0-5 right now. I will have to check the Redding that you mention....Still don't need it now, though.

I have a 5-0-2 and its very accurate, I found a deal on a new 10-10 but really could not justify keeping it. The indicator on the 5-0-2 is sharper and easier to read than that of the 10-10. So the 10-10 went back to the store.

I have a Florheim NJ built(by Ohaus) RCBS 1010. Have a Redding model 2 in a box I don't use since I went to the old RCBS. I like the stability better on the RCBS and the way you set the weight with the roller, so you can weigh powder out at any weight you want, like 45.55 grains, not just tenths of a grain. I also like the way the RCBS holds the pan better and feel it gives more consistent readings. The Redding with it's flat pan holder would be off slightly depending on which direction you set the pan down or if it was close the edge of it's holder.

I have a Lyman digital scale on the bench also, but it wanders over the course of an hour and with barometric pressure changes. I use it to measure things of unknown weight like random bullets. I don't trust it for weighing powder, but I do use it as a check when I first set up the beam scale to make sure I didn't miss anything, like have it set for 35 grains when I wanted 45.

A pan, hanger and charge exerts a pressure on the beam that depends entirely on the combined weighs, not how it looks or feels.

There's no way for barometric pressure to effect either a beam or digital scale.

I have an old Lyman built by Ohaus that I scored in a lot I bought from someone after their father died.
It has the hard cover that snaps on and the original cardboard box.
I like it a lot, and it's got some history; I hear the old man was quite the accomplished shooter.

I also have the Lee Safety Scale that I bought when I started. I did not like it much. I would offer it to free for someone but it wouldn't be worth the postage to send it and I haven't formed a strong dislike for anyone on the forum yet :>)

Joe

*edit* it's an M5.
I also have a Frankford Arsenal electronic scale that I bought on sale, and it was inexpensive. It goes to .1 grains and has been accurate every time I've fooled around with it (weighing bullets of a known weight for instance) but I just don't trust it like I do a beam scale, so I've never used it to reload. A good beam scale is hard to beat.

Last edited:
"*edit* it's an M" .... which was the forerunner to the 1010; both have the same basic design, no difference in function or performance. Both made by Ohaus. So are many if not all our of various brands and models of beam scales. Well, except the very light and compact Lee scale, which is actually an excellant unit but it requires a careful worker, fumbly fingers don't go well with it! (Neither do 2 oz. triggers but I'm not going to give mine up! ??)

I have an old Lyman built by Ohaus that I scored in a lot I bought from someone after their father died.
It has the hard cover that snaps on and the original cardboard box.

Have an M5 too but got rid of the box. Think it's older than I am. Works well, easy to level, very stable.
Picked it up along with 3 wood planes from an elderly gentleman who was moving himself to a retirement community. After a decade without his wife, he was lonely. Fella taught me how to use a wood plane like my father never could.

I have a Dillon that I use to verify the Charge Master. It settles fast and is always spot-on.

"*edit* it's an M" .... which was the forerunner to the 1010; both have the same basic design, no difference in function or performance. Both made by Ohaus. So are many if not all our of various brands and models of beam scales. Well, except the very light and compact Lee scale, which is actually an excellant unit but it requires a careful worker, fumbly fingers don't go well with it! (Neither do 2 oz. triggers but I'm not going to give mine up! ??)

Problem I have with the Lee scale, it takes too long to settle.
The little piece of Mylar that serves as a damper doesn't work very well.

Joe

I have a Redding Model 2, it works, I don't especially care for its main scale being graduated in 5gr increments, and minor scale being five grains broken down by tenths.

I started reloading using my dad's equipment, an old Hornady scale, an excellent unit, easily zeroed, tens scale, single grain scale, tenths scale, they don't make them anymore.

I don't like the Lee scale, feels cheap, and I don't like how it sets.

Seems like scales made by Ohaus is the most popular choices. Guess I have to start searching for the older scales. Seems like all the newer scales are made in China, and if Parker won't tune them they must be problematic??

I have a Florheim NJ built(by Ohaus) RCBS 1010. Have a Redding model 2 in a box I don't use since I went to the old RCBS. I like the stability better on the RCBS and the way you set the weight with the roller, so you can weigh powder out at any weight you want, like 45.55 grains, not just tenths of a grain. I also like the way the RCBS holds the pan better and feel it gives more consistent readings. The Redding with it's flat pan holder would be off slightly depending on which direction you set the pan down or if it was close the edge of it's holder.

I have a Lyman digital scale on the bench also, but it wanders over the course of an hour and with barometric pressure changes. I use it to measure things of unknown weight like random bullets. I don't trust it for weighing powder, but I do use it as a check when I first set up the beam scale to make sure I didn't miss anything, like have it set for 35 grains when I wanted 45.

Agree about the Redding. You have to be careful but a great piece of kit.

Old RCBS 505. I have a magnifying mirror trained on the indicator so I can see it really well and don't have to have it at eye level.
Faster and more accurate than the Chargemaster I had...

There an old Ohaus sitting next to a Dillon and a Lyman, I use them to double check each other and the couple digitals laying around. None of them get much use since the RCBS chargemaster found its way on the bench.
Cheers.

dang that is a good idea; I don't know why that didn't occur to me. I use a 10-10. works great and accurate. I don't know why people bitch that beams are slow

I've got an old RCBS made by Ohaus (no idea on the model #, it isn't on it anywhere) that my FIL gave me. I set my phone up in front of it and use the camera to magnify the reading. Being able to watch the beam move smoothly with a single kernel of R17 tells me they knew how to build these things at one time.

I have an older RCBS 502 and an old Lyman M5. The Lyman is my main scale.

Had a 1010 for like 30 yrs. Knocked it off a shelf and broke it. Sent it to RCBS for evaluation to see if it was fixable. Went to work for 3 weeks, when I got back there was a brand new 1010 with a letter that said no charge. After I TOLD them it was all my fault. Also use a 505 occasionally and in the market for one of the old dial scales (304?) but they are pricey.....

pe8y6uza.jpg

I've got more beam scales than you can shake a stick at, around 30 I guess. My favourites are the Lyman M5's and the RCBS 5-10, both now long obsolete. Another really nice scale is an old oil damped Webster, just so well made.

Of the newer scales I have recently had chance to have a look at the new Hornady scale.
Here's a review of the Hornady and a RCBS 5-10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buRAm2aL6ik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCTHCfDBlU