• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Who makes the best .338 L/M custom

Carrbque

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2010
Abq, NM
I was going to buy van dyke's tactical eliminator, until I heard that he takes forever to build a rifle.
Any suggestions?

Re: Who makes the best .338 L/M custom

You are going to need patience for any of them. They're all busy and will not compromise quality for speed. As for who makes the best one, that is subjective.

Everyone has their personal preference and opinion of who is the best, mine happens to be American Precision Arms. Jered and Co. are great to work with.

Do you have all your parts ??

Wroscoe , US Handgunner and several others here build some fine rifle that will excede your expectations if your happy with Van Dyke !!

and do it alot faster and probably alot cheaper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone has their personal preference and opinion of who is the best, mine happens to be American Precision Arms. Jered and Co. are great to work with. </div></div>

What he said. Jered and crew build some sick ass rifles.

I'm going with William Roscoe. This is going to sound strange but I like to collect as much as I like to shoot. I just picked up a GAP, I'll try to get Roscoe to build the one I'm working on now and then I'll try get APA to do the next. I live up to my call sign. I want one from all the best smiths.

Awesome thanks for all of quick input!
I hate to ask such a dumb question, but this is definately the place to get good info.

How fast do you need one?
IMG_5753.jpg

IMG_5751.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carrbque</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> until I heard that he takes forever to build a rifle.
</div></div>

I do not know the builder but I would possibly ask you to rethink something.

It does not take a long time to build a rifle.
It may however take a long time to build all the rifles that are in front of your project.
Big, big difference.

Result is the same. . . . you may have to wait a while to get your rifle.

Reason should be clarified in most cases though. Saying it the way you posted, makes it sounds like a shop may be dragging ass on your job when in fact they are working 6 day weeks at 10 hours a day.

IF the shop has a lot of rifles in front of yours, ask yourself why?
If the shop does good work, they will by default be busy and have a backlog.

Why did you say you were going to by from them in the first place?
Surely you did your homework and liked what you saw. In my opinion, delivery time should be a good bit down your list of priorities when spending a ton of your money on that type of rifle.

I totally understand your situation. I am the type of person that wants my toys yesterday!
However, some shops may be a good way out on their delivery dates for a good reason.
Not speaking for the above named smith, just pointing out some misconceptions that are gleaned from some posts.

Cheers,
Terry

I have been waiting for 3 yrs for a Terry Cross 338 Lapua, He has emailed me and calls me back when I leave him a message.
I know he is very busy and I am willing to wait for one of his rifles and I hope he can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
But I will wait as long as it takes because I know the rifle will be built to the best of his ability.

Gents,

I am willing to wait as long as it takes to get a quality rifle. However I have read several posts on this site about Van Dyke rifles that are..... Negative to put it " nicely"

I am really sold on Gap as of now.
Again thanks for all of the advice!

Sir,so a year later how did it all turn out?

Good point Terry, but the fact remains some guys can build a newly ordered rifle much faster than others. And they can produce a product which is indistinguishable in terms of accuracy and reliability. What they won't get is a brand name, which could affect resale or the attention the rifle gets at the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carrbque</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> until I heard that he takes forever to build a rifle.
</div></div>

I do not know the builder but I would possibly ask you to rethink something.

It does not take a long time to build a rifle.
It may however take a long time to build all the rifles that are in front of your project.
Big, big difference.

Result is the same. . . . you may have to wait a while to get your rifle.

Reason should be clarified in most cases though. Saying it the way you posted, makes it sounds like a shop may be dragging ass on your job when in fact they are working 6 day weeks at 10 hours a day.

IF the shop has a lot of rifles in front of yours, ask yourself why?
If the shop does good work, they will by default be busy and have a backlog.

Why did you say you were going to by from them in the first place?
Surely you did your homework and liked what you saw. In my opinion, delivery time should be a good bit down your list of priorities when spending a ton of your money on that type of rifle.

I totally understand your situation. I am the type of person that wants my toys yesterday!
However, some shops may be a good way out on their delivery dates for a good reason.
Not speaking for the above named smith, just pointing out some misconceptions that are gleaned from some posts.

Cheers,
Terry </div></div>