• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors who shoots USPSA from Texas

Rich Emmons

just an old has been
Supporter
Minuteman
I'm wanting to start shooting USPSA matches and am absorbing a wealth of knowledge from Brian Enos site. I was just wondering if anybody I know here shoots these matches.

Since I've been shooting tactical matches my pistol skills have always lacked especially when watching guys like this. <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ze0DbR2gE9A"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ze0DbR2gE9A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

So I'm determined to get better I've got the dillon, and loading bullets and trying to shoot or practice on something every day. I'll be shooting my first match in a couple of weeks.

Re: who shoots USPSA from Texas

I'm not from Texas, but I've been shooting USPSA off and on for 5 years and seriously for about one. It will take you a VERY long time to shoot as fast as that guy, and as Brian says, it is truly a shame that speed is valued over accuracy so greatly in USPSA.

My tip is to shoot slowly and deliberately. Getting all your points, slowly, will be sufficient to beat most of the people who try to go too fast...and once you build skill, you will automatically start shooting faster and your scores will improve.

I can think of a lot of times when I shot too fast, fucked up, and took unnecessary penalties and/or simply didn't get the match points that I otherwise could have. But in 5 years, I can't think of a single stage where I got so many points that I wish I'd pushed the speed and gone faster.

The speed comes primarily from movement anyway. Shooting is the slowest thing you ever do in USPSA. Economy of movement is what separates the winners from the losers, primarily, not speed. Our eyes will only see the sights so fast.

Brian's a good source of info.

Slow is smooth. Forget speed, it will come later. Concentrate on being safe, and not missing. Think the stage through, walk it, "see" in your mind what you need to do. Then have fun.
Afterwards, concentrate on things you did right, not things you did wrong.

-I'm not from texas either, and speaking of texas, on the star-don't chase the plates, let them come to you!

+ 1 to Be.com - buy Brian's book, and read it about 10 times. You'll learn something new every time.

Smooth is fast. (slight variation from above)
Don't worry about time, get your hits. But don't loiter.
If you aren't shooting, you're wasting time. Shoot as slow as it takes to get your hits, but do eveything else fast. Eliminate all unnessary movements, efficiency is key.

Every shot is an aimed, separate shot, there is no "doubletap". Really.

Train to make your shot cadence a steady "bang, bang, bang, bang" not "Bang-Bang,,,,,,Bang-Bang" even if you have to slow your normal split times between shots down slightly. Fast transitions between targets will get you much more than fast splits between shots.

Don't worry about everyone else's times, shoot your own stages, at your speed. Faster times will come. Its easier to learn the speed than it is to learn the discipline needed to be accurate (IMHO).

In practice, push yourself to improve on your weaknesses, not just strengths.

Its a fun game, but just like golf, its easier to get your form and mind right starting out, than try to relearn it all later (like I had to). Sign up for a class from a good GM, it will be money well spent.

DVC,
Shaun

ps - I used to until last year shoot USPSA in North Texas.

I do. Shoot mostly IDPA and Steel but USPSA as well.

Brian Enos' website is where you want to go for info on pistol action pistol shooting.

Just like in skydiving, slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

I have shot USPSA/IPSC and IDPA for 10+ years now. It is still fun.

USPSA # L2598

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just like in skydiving, slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
</div></div>

Arrant nonsense. Every time I hear someone say that, I want to slap them.

Slow may be, but is not necessarily, smooth, but it's also simply...slow.

Correct form must precede speed, and correct form is smooth. But smooth is not necessarily fast.

Shot my first match Sunday. It was fun and I plan on shooting on a monthly basis, not quite ready or excited enough about it to scramble for a match 3-4 times a month. But I was pretty pleased as I shooting nearly on par with some B class shooters there,I'm looking forward to getting classified. I don't think USPSA will lesson the love I have for shooting UKD's and tiny groups with great rifles but it will definitely be excellent practice for 3-Gun and Sniper matches with pistol events.

I'm glad you had a good time. That kind of competition is excellent for building gun-handling skills to the level where you don't have to think about them any more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RVing in Stephenville,TX</div></div>

Try RVing here where I am, which is much more pleasant:

image001.jpg

I shoot from time to time. When's your first match, Rich? Stop by the house sometime and we'll talk.

I shot at Breckenridge Ridgerunners Gun Club, after the match me and Geordie stopped at Mary's Cafe in Strawn and filled up on medium chicken fried steak,(order the small.. it's huge)and couple tall glasses of Beer
smirk.gif
smirk.gif
sleep.gif
, I always enjoy eating at Mary's it's got to be the best Cafe in Texas.

You know i do!!!

Enos is a good site!!

Hey Rich, I used to shoot USPSA matches weekly. Now 3 gun and precision rifle seem to take all my time and money.