• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Why shoot coyotes?

Re: Why shoot coyotes?

coyotes001.jpg

Just 4 of 43 that this guy and his buddy killed before I got them killed this spring. I sold 89 pound lambs yesterday for 225.50 per pound. It adds up in a hurry and definetly effects the bottom line. If we didn't hunt coyotes we couldn't stay in business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I sold 89 pound lambs yesterday for 225.50 per pound. </div></div>

Price check at butcher counter!? Typo, yes?

Good for you for getting those lamb killers.

I hated doing coyote den work in lambing pastures. Only thing dumber than a 14 year old girl is a young lamb...

Sorry that should have been $2.25. We have been getting anywhere from $2-2.40 per pound for lambs this year. I know some guys that have sold some yearling ewes for $350-400 per head. We are enjoying record prices in the industry, but it makes predation hurt that much more. I hope this helps answer the "Why shoot coyotes" question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why have we had so many human/coyote encounters here in Colorado. None of the attacked people were sick or week?</div></div>

Because humans are, from an unexperienced animals point of view, about as dangerous as sheep? when i walk our fields i see germans hiking around and being afraid of cows. i see netherlandish guys who are not able to push aside a few sheep blocking a mountain path. <span style="font-weight: bold">most of the townspeople</span> have no idea how to deal with any stubborn herbivore blocking their way. if that thing has fangs, they turn and leave. because, at the end, humans traded 'natural means of defence' for fingers and tools.

do we have antlers? do we have a decent sized fang? claws and the appropriate muscle for it? if not for the 'tools' that we use, i fully understand that any predator out there will consider a human only a 'meal2go'.

hell - we use dogs to protect our homes/gardens/etc. so 85% are scared of a barking dog. and why? because their bite hurts tons more than what you can do to them unarmed (besides pressing your thumb into their eyes). and here we are talking about a domesticated animal that is (besides some special breeds) a significantly sized-down predator compared to any wolf you might encounter.

now tell me that we are - to real predators - nothing but (usually unarmed) animals that are easy to slay. compared to any decent sized deer with antlers - even a sick one - , and me being a wolf, i'd go for the human. weaker. less endurance. less risk of getting hurt. that's why your coyotes might prefer a human over a bull - because when the human (unarmed) is no match for the bull, why go for the bull yourself when you could have the healthy human?

well. besides those that actually use tools/weapons _and_ have the mindset to use them. </div></div>

You clearly have no idea the level of animal that a human will revert to when the animal instinct kicks in. Of course, the average human has been out of the trees too long to accept what kind of animal instinct they have...but it's still in there and when you're put in a bad situation, it won't end well for the coyote.
If a coyote were to attack a healthy adult male human (about 16 years or older)...it wouldn't stand a chance. I don't think you are giving enough credit to the opposable thumb and enlarged brain.
Now, when it comes to a wolf that is of comparable weight to the human...that's a different story. Now the dude is in deep shit.
You're out of your mind if you think 85% of people wouldn't be able to fight off a single 30-50 lb coyote. Scared shitless...maybe, but death is a powerful motivator.

I shoot them whenever I see them. Their population has really gotten out of control in the past 10 years in MS where I hunt. I shoot all the hogs i see too. Neither are good for deer hunting. But at least you get the benefit of wild hog meat when you shoot them.

I shot 6 on Monday and enjoyed every minute. I also saw two fixed wing aircraft and one helicopter gunning coyotes. Looks like the predator control boards have some pretty robust funding this year.

I wanted to stay out of the coyote vs. mature deer debate, but FWIW I don't feel a pair of our runty Wyoming coyotes pose much of a threat to a mature, healthy, branch antlered deer. On the flip side, they raise hell with about every mammal that draws breath if it is young, crippled...etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ankeny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wanted to stay out of the coyote vs. mature deer debate, but FWIW I don't feel a pair of our runty Wyoming coyotes pose much of a threat to a mature, healthy, branch antlered deer. On the flip side, they raise hell with about every mammal that draws breath if it is young, crippled...etc. </div></div>

Deer are deer, and their paranoid ungulate herbivore instict tells them, nearly universally, that everything else out there on the entire planet that is not a squirrel, rabbit, or turkey, is trying to eat them. That is why, unless opposed by a perceived equivilent member of their own species during rut, they are far more prone to flight than they are to fight.

A coyote dries up and blows away in the wind if they do not make a serious habit out of killing something to eat. They will do this however they can, and have adapted quite well to the cards they've been dealt. Killing small things solo is easy for the coyote, killing big things requires them to do what most canine carnivores are prone to do...hunt in a pack.

Some of the misinterpretation of the coyote that relates to them taking down a full grown healty deer probably stems from the difference between the western coyote and the eastern coyote. Although the "same" animal, the two are very different in the way they hunt. Both take targets of opportunity wherever they are found, and probably spend a good share of their time eating the small game that a solo dog or a pair can find just about anywhere. Cornell University, though, in upstate NY, has done a study on the Eastern Coyote and found that they do contain DNA from the Eastern Red Wolf. The Red Wolf at one time habitated the east coast from South Carolina to Canada. The encroachment of the Western Coyote, for what ever the reasoning of Mother Nature; probably simply a factor of population and food competition; has long ago pushed the Red Wolf north and into Quebec, if I understood the research correctly, with the coyote taking over it's place.

The cross breeding however, that has occured along the way, has implanted some of the Red Wolf's traits into this hybrid coyote. One distinct trait being that they run in hunting packs here in the east, just like any other wolf does...where in the western wide open spaces that's not the usual scenario with the typical western coyote. All the video of western preditor hunting that I've ever seen shows a solo dog, or a pair, or maybe once in a great while three or four approaching the call. Here in the east, you will see the same thing most of the time but when they've made a large kill it's not just two or three you are hearing in the middle of the night....it's a damn pile of 'em.

A number of years back, on one particularly sub zero night, in another state far north of where I'm at now, I was driving down a frozen snow covered dirt road going home late after visiting with some friends of the chick I was seeing at the time. They lived way out in the woods on this dirt road, a long way from "town". As I drove out of the wooded area they lived in and towards a stretch with cornfield on both sides, my headlights swung around a curve in the road. The road was full of coyotes there at the far reach of the high beams. I don't know how many had already crossed before we got there but as I stopped and watched, a total of 13 more crossed in front of us. I went up and looked at the tracks and I'd bet the last dollar in my wallet that there were 13+ that crossed that road that night.

That's a pack.........

Here, in the east, to take down a large animal, it's a simple matter of running that large paranoid ungulate herbivore nearly to death; and to a point of fatigue where it simply cannot run any more or even try to defend itself. The only difference being that running a smaller, weaker or less healthy animal, to fatigue, takes less time than it does with a larger healthier animal...the end result is still the same, a dead animal to feed on. I seriously doubt though that every attempt by the eastern coyote to kill large healthy deer is successful. If it were, here in VA, with the explosion of the coyote population, we wouldn't also be having an explosion of the deer population.

The human animal is likely the most comical in this sort debate, because the majority of us just don't spend enough time in the woods to really understand what takes place there. Some of us hunt only a few days a year and firmly believe that everything we see during that period of time in the woods is ONLY what happens in the woods, and there can't possibly be anything else........then there are those who understand that the time frame from sun down to sun up is a very long time and that a LOT of stuff happens while we are tucked in our warm beds oblivious to what's taking place in Nature, and in real time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You're out of your mind if you think 85% of people wouldn't be able to fight off a single 30-50 lb coyote. Scared shitless...maybe, but death is a powerful motivator.
</div></div>

well. that's why some predators (mainly the smaller ones) managed to develop pack behaviour. single out one target (deer, human, ...), come at it in larger numbers/directions then even small 30-50lb coyotes will be a problem. no matter how well you are motivated.

if you talk of instincts, think of kids. kids now how to go for the fat kid (who might be stronger) - larger numbers, verbal attacks from every side. it will wear them down.

I lived on 160 acres as a kid,,

a few cows, sheep, goats, horses, ducks,,ect.

It really was a "hobby" ranch, Dad worked full time to support the place.

, but that was long ago,

( and a galaxy far away).

, but <span style="font-style: italic">still</span> remember being that kid trying to stich up an ewe's (torn open ) throat with Mom's sewing kit.

, and to this day, during hunting season, will pass a shot on a nice buck to kill the 'yote that's after him.

edit;

,, guys in Montana, Idaho, & Wyoming;
I feel your pain re/ wolves.

We have the same battle going on here in Wa.
The EnviroNazis have infiltrated WDFW, and the Wolves are here now, ESA protected, and expanding fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
well. that's why some predators (mainly the smaller ones) managed to develop pack behaviour. single out one target (deer, human, ...), come at it in larger numbers/directions then even small 30-50lb coyotes will be a problem. no matter how well you are motivated.
</div></div>
not sure where you live but coyotes, fox, coon, bobcats flat out don't or very rarely pack hunt where i live... but then you get to the larger predator the wolf... and thats all you see.

Sendero man, John in wyo... other song dogs guys.. riddle me this...

We have 180 horses in our pastures. Several pastures actually in various age groups throughout the ranch.

2 days ago while letting the tractor warm up I see a group of the younger horses (2-3) yr olds in the one corner of the pasture. In an instant the herd just exploded on a dead run.. wtf! then I see the dogs on the heels of one of the smaller horses (500 lbs ish) Horse stops wheels and strikes at the yotes. To no avail. the song dogs aren't intimidated. Another horse( one of the older ones we have in the group ) charges from about 100 yards out. The song dogs then are intimidated and run off...

have you guys ..or anyone for that matter ever heard of or witness coyotes taking on equine? Without going in to detail our average horses sells for $6500 to $7500 so I am obviously concerned about injuries to them.

I'm pretty new to the predator hunting but I am trying to ramp up my knowledge and starting to pursue them a bit more aggressively now.

LOL!

Our coyotes very much do hunt as a pack & pull down deer like panties at a frat party...

Coyotes often hunt in packs around here, especially as family groups in the summer/early fall. Later in the year pairs are very common.
yotepack.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL!

Our coyotes very much do hunt as a pack & pull down deer like panties at a frat party... </div></div>
didn't say they don't, but here you'll get a pack once in a long while... especially out here... don't get me wrong, i do have some great video footage of 7 coyotes coming in @ one time, but its like the ops post, you rarely see a coyote taking down a healthy buck, different areas, regions may vary, but here, where i am, they are very solitary and usually come in pairs, and right now i have about 75 HD video's to prove it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL!

Our coyotes very much do hunt as a pack & pull down deer like panties at a frat party... </div></div>
didn't say they don't, but here you'll get a pack once in a long while... especially out here... don't get me wrong, i do have some great video footage of 7 coyotes coming in @ one time, but its like the ops post, you rarely see a coyote taking down a healthy buck, different areas, regions may vary, but here, where i am, they are very solitary and usually come in pairs, and right now i have about 75 HD video's to prove it. </div></div>

there you go again teasing us with that footage....that we havent seen the end to!!! =( ahaha.

Coc...I've never witnessed attacks on horses here in Oregon.

I personally had only 5 horses in my pack string for several years but I pastured them at home and we have two pretty protective "herd" dogs patrolling all the time. I don't know that I've ever heard of a yote taking on a horse. I'd definitely keep my eye on that one though. Keep us posted if you would.

A few years back, I watched an antelope cross under a fence and cross the road in front of me. I brought the truck to a halt to watch. Pretty cool I thought. I seemed odd that the loper was wagging his tongue like he was exhausted or something. I figured it was just the heat. Not more than a few seconds passed and a coyote emerged from exactly where the goat had been. Then another coyote, then another and so on until there were five coyotes in pursuit of the antelope. I never got to see what happened as I was only able to watch them for a few hundred yards. Those coyotes looked a lot less winded than the antelope, though.

On another note, I never have had a coyote with a headache like Jared's. I did find one with some chest pain, though.
100_2711.jpg

God bless you medic, you fixed him good. Your story reminded me of a similar one I witnessed a couple years ago. I was driving acrossed Wy via I80, and I saw a couple coyotes chasing a lone antelope. She spun around a couple different times as to defend herself, but they just kept coming. I didn't get to see the end either, but I hope she got out of that one.

Yea, we have tons of fields in the area where I live and some farmers have a lot of problems with coyotes picking off some of their smaller sheep and chickens mostly. The problem is I am in the middle of a couple thousand acres of muck fields and the coyotes don't have a lot of 'natural habitat' when it is all onion fields so they go after the 'dinner on a plate'. A couple chickens running around a little coop with 2 ft chicken wire fence doesn't do a whole lot when it comes to coyotes.

Down here in TX yotes are definatly in packs. When your in a blind waiting for the sun to come up and you start to hear about 15-20 howl right before sun up in a tight area alot of time just a few hundred yard away make you feel good to be in a blind with a gun. however the most i have seen in daylight has only been is typicaly 2-3 at a time

that is not a pack.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wes_Mantooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coyotes often hunt in packs around here, especially as family groups in the summer/early fall. Later in the year pairs are very common.
yotepack.jpg
</div></div>

this is a pack.

Wolves%20in%20the%20Big%20Horns.jpg
[/quote]

Comparing a wolf pack to a coyote pack is purely semantics.

As it goes, I'd loosely refer to 3-7 coyotes as a 'pack'. And the fact that three or more 40-50 lb eastern coyotes in a hunting 'pack' can and do regularly kill deer as a primary food source in the wintertime here in the NE is well documented.

Maybe coyotes in the Dakotas don't need to 'pack up' to hunt pheasants, and SW desert coyotes don't 'pack up' to hunt mesquite beans & grasshoppers. But that's not to say that coyotes in another areas don't form hunting packs on a more regular basis. As a highly adaptive predator, coyotes in any region will likely improvise as needed & according to the most available food source & time of year.

I worked in a high fence area for almost ten years and we had packs of coyotes. For a while, the biggest in the pack was an all black yote, only saw him at night and never could get him.

In the last few years they have gotten worse in this area for sure. Sometimes when an ambulance or when planes fly over from the air base they get to howling and I've heard packs of at least ten, maybe more (sounds like 20) howling only a hundred or so yards from me while in a tree stand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of the misinterpretation of the coyote that relates to them taking down a full grown healthy deer probably stems from the difference between the western coyote and the eastern coyote.</div></div> Yup, you sure nailed it right there. The Wyoming Game and Fish has done a lot of studies on the effect coyotes have on deer, antelope, etc. populations. In fact there is a study going on right now regarding the effect of coyotes on the deer populations in the Wyoming Range. It isn't unusual to see conclusions that indicate coyotes don't have much effect on healthy adults over dry ground. Weakened snowbound animals in the winter can be a different story. Of course coyotes can raise hell in the spring with fawns.

As far as wolves, they are a pain in the ass all the way around and grizzly bears are even worse. There is a reason wolves were eradicated out here in the first place. When the damn things were first reintroduced in Idaho and in Wyoming, the management objective was 300 wolves in each state. When the numbers reached 3000 even the feds had to take a second look. I have no idea what the numbers are today, but it is only a matter of time before the trend will be reversed out of necessity. I can't wait fast enough.

Yeah, I have seen coyotes chase horses. I assume they are just checking to see if there are any sick or crippled critters to be had because the chase is usually pretty short lived. A buddy of mine is convinced he has seen coyotes that are smart enough to try to chase a horse into a fence. With my luck I would shoot a coyote that was chasing a horse and run the horse into a fence myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Maybe coyotes in the Dakotas don't need to 'pack up' to hunt pheasants, </div></div>
LOL... packing up to hunt pheasants.

Although I've never done this I have heard about both techniques listed below.

Treble hooks, Nylon Cord, Chicken Livers. Tie cord off on a low hanging branch and allow said hooks to hang from the cord approx chest high with chicken livers attached.

Coyotes will be there waiting for you in the AM. This might not work as good as Temik (a Systemic Pesticide) on droped hot dogs but it is much safer and better for the environment.

I hate it as much as the next guy but, you cant get them all with a fox pro or mouth call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although I've never done this I have heard about both techniques listed below.

Treble hooks, Nylon Cord, Chicken Livers. Tie cord off on a low hanging branch and allow said hooks to hang from the cord approx chest high with chicken livers attached.

Coyotes will be there waiting for you in the AM. This might not work as good as Temik (a Systemic Pesticide) on droped hot dogs but it is much safer and better for the environment.

I hate it as much as the next guy but, you cant get them all with a fox pro or mouth call. </div></div>

That's sick! I like it. That same technique over water work for gators too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This might not work as good as Temik (a Systemic Pesticide) on droped hot dogs but it is much safer and better for the environment.
</div></div>

Yep, Bubba's always looking for a new cell mate,
not to mention the fact that it's chicken shit to indiscrimately poison any animal that happens to walk by.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although I've never done this I have heard about both techniques listed below.

I hate it as much as the next guy but, you cant get them all with a fox pro or mouth call. </div></div>

That's sick! I like it. That same technique over water work for gators too. </div></div>

I like that one, you can also crush glass, like light bulbs in ground meat, when they eat it, they bleed out from the inside. Also, you do not have to worry about herbivores getting hurt.

i27uu-152.jpg

I hadn't gotten to kill anything for several weeks and then this coyote showed up in front of my house in broad daylight. There was no impressive wound but it was DRT with a neck shot from my 204 Ruger shot from my "hide" (a.k.a. an open upstairs window).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumulkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i27uu-152.jpg

I hadn't gotten to kill anything for several weeks and then this coyote showed up in front of my house in broad daylight. There was no impressive wound but it was DRT with a neck shot from my 204 Ruger shot from my "hide" (a.k.a. an open upstairs window). </div></div>

Nice .204! What's your specs? Ammo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, Bubba's always looking for a new cell mate,
not to mention the fact that it's chicken shit to indiscrimately poison any animal that happens to walk by. </div></div>

Exactly.

I hate Coyotes as much as the next guy but, it's best to use a high velocity projectile to dispatch them with. Indiscriminant poisoning is absolute BS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gr Yote Pill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice .204! What's your specs? Ammo?</div></div>

204RugerCart.jpg

The rifle is a Thompson/Center Contender with a 23 inch bull barrel topped with a Leupold 2-7X scope.

Thanks. I don't think an antelope separated from the herd could stand a chance against even a pair or threesome of yotes.

.204 is a sweet coyote gun. I used a DPMS LR-204 and it had coyote gun written all over it. 32 Hornady V-max worked like a charm.

Growing up on a farm we had trouble with wild dog packs killing healthy adult livestock. Then a funny thing happened. The wild dog packs were either killed out or bred out by coyotes. Now it is coyotes that kill our livestock. I kill every one I see and would kill them all if given the opportunity. It's a matter of time until coyotes kill a human.

For those of you who claim that coyotes fill a need in our ecosystem. We lived without coyotes in Kentucky for a generation and I don't remember any ecological catastrophes occurring due to the lack of a predator.

I just enjoy hunting the little bastards.

I have to admit, when I am calling them with a dieing rabbit sound or whatever, and one starts coming in thinking he is going to kill it and eat it. I do grin a little, thinking, "yea, come on in Mr.Coyote, I know something you don't know".

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_yAi8KrvHa4&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_yAi8KrvHa4&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Last deer season here in Virginia, 3 of them were taken buy hunters on our farm while they were chasing live, healthy does,one of which was me personally. I have a trail cam pic from early fall with 4 in one pic on a corn pile 20 miles north of me in Wva, Not sure if they were ambushing small game or feeding on the corn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_yAi8KrvHa4&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_yAi8KrvHa4&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

Ok my turn to call BULLCHIT!!!! Predators only attack old, sick and weak animals. Predators only attack the new born. BULLCHIT.

We need predators in our food chain. Bull chit I say. Only land locked yankees or carpet baggars, believe crap like this. The people who live by the land and from the land know otherwise. Coyotes, wolves and the like attack and take healthy adult animals as conditions permit. When suburban warriors realize that the people who make this country work are being penalized by the idiot bambi tree hugging folk the sooner that we can turn this country around.

This lil dummy was just trotting along in my mothers pasture during deer season. I had already taken my deer so I figured it was time for him to go as well. 364 yards, in his shoulder and out his guts came. 6.5 Creedmoor
bUY4q.jpg

Coyotes around here take whatever is easiest to catch. Old, young, sick, healthy, no matter. Simple rule is see one shoot one. They like the wild hog need to be thinned out whenever possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wes_Mantooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many people who say this is just part of nature, and that the coyote is just making a living like all the rest of nature's beutiful animals, don't realize that coyotes usually eat big game <span style="font-style: italic"> alive</span>. They start at the tail and work up. They don't tear out the throat, or break the neck, ensuring a clean kill. They just cripple the animal and start eating. </div></div>

Which is a part of nature.

There is nothing that says nature has to be kind. Why people want to assign a human ethical code to wild animals is a mystery.

While walking into a calling spot last weekend I come across a coyote high tailing it out of the area. I get up to a hill and here comes a DANDY pissed off whitetail right on the path of the coyote.

Damn deer, quit harassing my coyotes!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While walking into a calling spot last weekend I come across a coyote high tailing it out of the area. I get up to a hill and here comes a DANDY pissed off whitetail right on the path of the coyote.

Damn deer, quit harassing my coyotes!!!!!

</div></div>
no, no, no... it never goes that way, didn't ya know, only coyotes chase deer "in packs"!!!

Household dogs kill a fair share of sheep in the mid-west. And my Dad and I showed them no mercy. People are stupid, never thought THEIR dogs could do that - even when they have bloody faces.

Then the dogs disappeared -- coyotes must have killed them
smile.gif

In fact the coyotes killed every dog that bothered our sheep for years and years.