• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Why shoot coyotes?

Re: Why shoot coyotes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wes_Mantooth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many people who say this is just part of nature, and that the coyote is just making a living like all the rest of nature's beutiful animals, don't realize that coyotes usually eat big game <span style="font-style: italic"> alive</span>. They start at the tail and work up. They don't tear out the throat, or break the neck, ensuring a clean kill. They just cripple the animal and start eating. </div></div>

Which is a part of nature.

There is nothing that says nature has to be kind. Why people want to assign a human ethical code to wild animals is a mystery.</div></div>

Have to agree there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While walking into a calling spot last weekend I come across a coyote high tailing it out of the area. I get up to a hill and here comes a DANDY pissed off whitetail right on the path of the coyote.

Damn deer, quit harassing my coyotes!!!!!

</div></div>
no, no, no... it never goes that way, didn't ya know, only coyotes chase deer "in packs"!!! </div></div>

On more than one occasion this rifle season I saw a "pack" (aka a pair) wander by a few deer within spitting distance. Neither deer nor coyotes looked very concerned. You'd think with all the stories I've been hearing lately from some of our states own armchair biologists that them coyotes would've gobbled up them deer in about 4 bites, max.

Coulda swore I'd just witnessed one of natures miracles them days.

Funny how some elevate anecdotal evidence to a universal principle. According to their logic murderers are not a threat if they are not seen killing someone or if they allow one person to go by unmolested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proverbs 18:19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny how some elevate anecdotal evidence to a universal principle. According to their logic murderers are not a threat if they are not seen killing someone or if they allow one person to go by unmolested. </div></div>
LOL... and the majority of the population, are murderers just waiting to kill... thats some great "anecdotal evidence"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proverbs 18:19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny how some elevate anecdotal evidence to a universal principle. According to their logic murderers are not a threat if they are not seen killing someone or if they allow one person to go by unmolested. </div></div>

I was being slightly sarcastic earlier. I am well aware that coyotes kill deer. And I'm sure even completely healthy deer meet their demise by the mouths of a coyote.

It's a long story, and I won't bore you with the details. Let just say I'm sick of hearing about coyotes eating all the deer in the world. We had to fend off a coyote bounty last year as a matter of fact, because some "hunters" are getting pissed they actually have to hunt for their deer now, rather than shoot them at 12:01pm on opening day. They blame the herds demise on coyotes, something they think they can control, when in reality Ma Nature is the cruel bitch here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While walking into a calling spot last weekend I come across a coyote high tailing it out of the area. I get up to a hill and here comes a DANDY pissed off whitetail right on the path of the coyote.

</div></div>
no, no, no... it never goes that way, didn't ya know, only coyotes chase deer "in packs"!!! </div></div>

On more than one occasion this rifle season I saw a "pack" (aka a pair) wander by a few deer within spitting distance. Neither deer nor coyotes looked very concerned. You'd think with all the stories I've been hearing lately from some of our states own armchair biologists that them coyotes would've gobbled up them deer in about 4 bites, max.

Coulda swore I'd just witnessed one of natures miracles them days. </div></div>

Because it was rifle season, perhaps the yotes had their bellies full from gut piles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, on average 7 coyotes will kill 1 deer a week. </div></div>

Thats a pretty broad statement with a WHOLE lot of variables.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While walking into a calling spot last weekend I come across a coyote high tailing it out of the area. I get up to a hill and here comes a DANDY pissed off whitetail right on the path of the coyote.

</div></div>

Coulda swore I'd just witnessed one of natures miracles them days. </div></div>

Because it was rifle season, perhaps the yotes had their bellies full from gut piles. </div></div>

Hahahaha, perhaps. It's still odd that these deer wouldn't even flinch at the presence of coyotes, unless of course, they knew the coyotes had full bellies from gut piles?!? Doubt it.
wink.gif

Nobody else finds it peculiar that the event from the OP's pictures "conveniently" played out directly in front of a trail camera?

Ive been privy to coyotes taking down deer right before my very eyes on several occasions, and let me tell you, even in deep snow working a tripod'd adult doe, they will cover a LOT of ground before its eating time.

Im calling some shenanigans on those photos. Either that or there was something very very wrong with that deer from the get go.

Coyotes kill deer, and yes, they can even kill a healthy deer under certain circumstances, this is the exception however not the norm. They're highly adaptable (probably more so than a whitetail), highly intelligent (make deer look like retards), and have survived, nay, have expanded their range and numbers DESPITE gov't sponsored eradication programs and every fuckhead with an AR and a Foxpro slinging lead at em every chance they get. They're here to stay, deal with it.

There are two things and two things only that will eliminate coyotes from an area for any appreciable duration of time. Mange.......and wolves.

And comparing coyotes to wolves is like comparing a .22lr to a .50 BMG. Not even in the same class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and every fuckhead with an AR and a Foxpro slinging lead at em every chance they get. </div></div>
why the hate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody else finds it peculiar that the event from the OP's pictures "conveniently" played out directly in front of a trail camera?

Ive been privy to coyotes taking down deer right before my very eyes on several occasions, and let me tell you, even in deep snow working a tripod'd adult doe, they will cover a LOT of ground before its eating time.

Im calling some shenanigans on those photos. Either that or there was something very very wrong with that deer from the get go.

Coyotes kill deer, and yes, they can even kill a healthy deer under certain circumstances, this is the exception however not the norm. They're highly adaptable (probably more so than a whitetail), highly intelligent (make deer look like retards), and have survived, nay, have expanded their range and numbers DESPITE gov't sponsored eradication programs and every fuckhead with an AR and a Foxpro slinging lead at em every chance they get. They're here to stay, deal with it.

There are two things and two things only that will eliminate coyotes from an area for any appreciable duration of time. Mange.......and wolves.

And comparing coyotes to wolves is like comparing a .22lr to a .50 BMG. Not even in the same class. </div></div>

1. Take the tin foil hat off.

2. If you have something against people owning AR's see yourself off the forums, sell your guns, and go hug a tree. If not get with the times we’re knocking on 2012 and AR's are here to stay.

3. My coyotes are twice as big as your western coyotes not to mention a head and jaw that resembles a wolf in size. Studies show our eastern coyotes are in fact part wolf.

4. Just because you were privy to seeing coyotes take down deer does not in fact mean they do not corner deer in thick vegetation and kill them. This is what we saw in the Trail cam.

5. Again remove thy tin foil hat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proverbs 18:19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny how some elevate anecdotal evidence to a universal principle. According to their logic murderers are not a threat if they are not seen killing someone or if they allow one person to go by unmolested. </div></div>

I was being slightly sarcastic earlier. I am well aware that coyotes kill deer. And I'm sure even completely healthy deer meet their demise by the mouths of a coyote.

It's a long story, and I won't bore you with the details. Let just say I'm sick of hearing about coyotes eating all the deer in the world. We had to fend off a coyote bounty last year as a matter of fact, because some "hunters" are getting pissed they actually have to hunt for their deer now, rather than shoot them at 12:01pm on opening day. They blame the herds demise on coyotes, something they think they can control, when in reality Ma Nature is the cruel bitch here. </div></div>

I actually could care less that coyotes eat deer. It's not their fault that they get hungry and deer taste good. I just get tired of going out into my pasture and finding dead livestock and lower counts of newborns. Makes it a little tough to pay the bills. Things have improved greatly since I added few great pyrennes to the herd. Got a chuckle the other day when I saw them playing with a dead coyote like it was a chew toy.

and yeah goose I'm keeping my AR and my foxpro and will sling lead at every coyote that I can draw iron on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nobody else finds it peculiar that the event from the OP's pictures "conveniently" played out directly in front of a trail camera?

And comparing coyotes to wolves is like comparing a .22lr to a .50 BMG. Not even in the same class. </div></div>

1. Take the tin foil hat off.

2. If you have something against people owning AR's see yourself off the forums, sell your guns, and go hug a tree. If not get with the times we’re knocking on 2012 and AR's are here to stay.

3. My coyotes are twice as big as your western coyotes not to mention a head and jaw that resembles a wolf in size. Studies show our eastern coyotes are in fact part wolf.

4. Just because you were privy to seeing coyotes take down deer does not in fact mean they do not corner deer in thick vegetation and kill them. This is what we saw in the Trail cam.

5. Again remove thy tin foil hat.
</div></div>

1. No tin foil hat here bub, just 20 years of studying coyotes and their behavior.

2. Nothing against AR rifles, just some of the morons using em.

3. Im quite familiar with your eastern coyotes sir.
wink.gif

4. Cover didnt look to terribly thick to me in those photos, ive seen worse. And likewise, just because some trail cam photos show a couple coyotes taking down what SEEMS to be a healthy deer, doesnt mean it is a normal occurrence. I say SEEMS to be healthy, because theres no way on gods green earth that you can tell if that animal was 100% healthy to begin with. We forget as humans that things as "minor" as a sprained ankle can mean a death sentence to wild animals, not to mention ailments much more severe in nature.

5. Again, no tin foil hat here, but id recommend you unknot your panties.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and every fuckhead with an AR and a Foxpro slinging lead at em every chance they get. </div></div>
why the hate? </div></div>

I apologize, theres plenty of fuckheads with bolt guns and Foxpros too.

My friend just lost his dog, in his backyard in a neighborhood in an upscale suburban area of Colorado... Im going to Coyote hunt every chance I get to exterminate every one I can...
M4 Carbine 14.5 inch barrel, JP Brake, 1/7 twist... 75 Grain Hornady.

[/quote]

Hahahaha, perhaps. It's still odd that these deer wouldn't even flinch at the presence of coyotes, unless of course, they knew the coyotes had full bellies from gut piles?!? Doubt it.
wink.gif
[/quote]

Fisky,

Not much of a thinker, are ya?

Yup..thats the way we look at them too...hogs and coyotes..kill them all

least you get to eat the hogs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broadway</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coyotes around here take whatever is easiest to catch. Old, young, sick, healthy, no matter. Simple rule is see one shoot one. They like the wild hog need to be thinned out whenever possible. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

wink.gif
[/quote]

Fisky,

Not much of a thinker, are ya? [/quote]

Apparently not. I'm apparently dense as hell too, because I have no idea what you're hinting at.

I am having a hard time understanding how folks are being criticized for performing the perfectly legal act of coyote hunting on their own land in defense of their private property. To top it all off the criticism is not being leveled on a PETA website but a hunting and shooting forum.

How would you accountants feel if someone came in and destroyed all of your computers. How bout you machinists? What if someone welded the drawers to your tool boxes shut. No big deal right? Unh huh.

This country is truly going nuts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proverbs 18:19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having a hard time understanding how folks are being criticized for performing the perfectly legal act of coyote hunting on their own land in defense of their private property. To top it all off the criticism is not being leveled on a PETA website but a hunting and shooting forum.

How would you accountants feel if someone came in and destroyed all of your computers. How bout you machinists? What if someone welded the drawers to your tool boxes shut. No big deal right? Unh huh.

</div></div>

Not criticizing at all, shoot away! But your only fooling yourself if you think a little recreational coyote killing is going to make a lick of difference.

What I do have a problem with, are morons making statements like "just mix some broken glass with some meat, that'll take care of em". These are the kind of dumbasses PETA likes to portray all gun owners and hunters as.

I see Killgoose so according to your posts only certain people should own guns? That's called being a Elitist. Watch out you'll soon become other things that this country wants no part of.

Animals are animals, this anit fucken Disney Land.

You seem to be against hunting coyotes, good for you. No one gives two shit’s. They're a pest animal when their numbers get to high. Guess what? The coyote and wolf population has exploded. I'm not for eradicating and species however I do believe in controlled numbers.

Now you came into a coyote hunting thread spewing ignorant bullshit. I'm glad you've studied coyotes for 20 years. However they're not magical creatures by any means. Right now until the numbers go down many folks are going to shoot them on sight and frankly I don't blame them.

So you criticize people performing a legal act of hunting. Please tell me what you do for a living and what you enjoy doing in your passed time. That way I know when I should start campaigning against you and yours and start messing with your life.

A simple law of nature, "Never shit were you eat."

Oh btw my panties aren't knotted unless I'm having some type of crazy sex with my wife. I just waited until you gave me some insight to your line of thinking. Now I’m either off base, or you need to watch how you type…

BTW I don't take this shit personally. So fire at will but keep your blood preasure down...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proverbs 18:19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having a hard time understanding how folks are being criticized for performing the perfectly legal act of coyote hunting on their own land in defense of their private property. To top it all off the criticism is not being leveled on a PETA website but a hunting and shooting forum.

</div></div>

I don't see anybody criticizing people for protecting their livestock. Don't be so dramatic. This is a discussion about coyotes and deer, not coyote depredation on livestock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>

Fisky,

Not much of a thinker, are ya? [/quote]

Apparently not. I'm apparently dense as hell too, because I have no idea what you're hinting at.[/quote]

Instead of coming on and slashing up other peoples views, perhaps you could offer your own views as to why your beloved yotes, although standing in their super market, might pass on the prime rib. Let's see, uh, predator/prey? Might require some thinking on your part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see Killgoose so according to your posts only certain people should own guns? That's called being a Elitist. Watch out you'll soon become other things that this country wants no part of.

Animals are animals, this anit fucken Disney Land.

You seem to be against hunting coyotes, good for you. No one gives two shit’s. They're a pest animal when their numbers get to high. Guess what? The coyote and wolf population has exploded. I'm not for eradicating and species however I do believe in controlled numbers.

Now you came into a coyote hunting thread spewing ignorant bullshit. I'm glad you've studied coyotes for 20 years. However they're not magical creatures by any means. Right now until the numbers go down many folks are going to shoot them on sight and frankly I don't blame them.

So you criticize people performing a legal act of hunting. Please tell me what you do for a living and what you enjoy doing in your passed time. That way I know when I should start campaigning against you and yours and start messing with your life.

A simple law of nature, "Never shit were you eat."

Oh btw my panties aren't knotted unless I'm having some type of crazy sex with my wife. I just waited until you gave me some insight to your line of thinking. Now I’m either off base, or you need to watch how you type…

BTW I don't take this shit personally. So fire at will but keep your blood preasure down...
</div></div>

Ha, this is good.

Against coyote hunting huh? Might shock you, but I derive a nice chunk of my yearly income from killing coyotes.

I dont believe coyotes are "magical" creatures for one second. A species capable of taking everything man can throw at it, and thumb its nose at us and continue and expand its population and range, yes. Magic, no. I wonder how long deer would be around if we let people kill em at will year 'round? Im betting not long.

I just know human nature when it comes to coyotes. Rancher see's a coyote in the same section as his cows, and he's got a serious infestation all of a sudden (sheep guys, now theres a whole other story, they DO have a legitimate concern when it comes to coyotes, mostly due to the fact sheep are dumb as hell and easy pickings). Someone finds a deer carcass thats been fed on by coyotes and of course they assume the coyotes killed said deer (when it could have been one of a thousand reasons it died, one of which yes, could of been coyotes).

I get sick of threads like this, and they're all over. Someone posts up a picture of a coyote and deer and the "KILL EM ALL" morons come out of the wood work. Some of the statements made on these kind of threads are EXACTLY how the true anti hunters would like to stereotype ALL hunters as, ignorant "bloodthirsty" morons. These same guys will climb all over a guy for gut shooting a precious little deer and causing it to "suffer", than slap a guy on the back for gut shooting a coyote so it can "suffer" somewhere. Double standard and it IS used against us. (and FYI, before you go throwing around words like vermin and such, I know plenty of ranchers with 400-500 deer climbing all over their hay stacks that would just as soon we kill all the deer before the coyotes.)

As or the AR comment, again, nothing against the rifle. Coyote huntings gotten wildly popular, and most the johnny come lately's I see are sporting AR's and Foxpros. They dont kill many, but they sure educate a bunch slinging $20 of lead every time they see one.

Theres no love lost between me and coyotes, but I do respect the shit out of them for surviving and flourishing despite an extreme amount of killing pressure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Instead of coming on and slashing up other peoples views, perhaps you could offer your own views as to why your beloved yotes, although standing in their super market, might pass on the prime rib. Let's see, uh, predator/prey? Might require some thinking on your part. </div></div>

I acted like a smartass. Point taken. But I wasn't slashing your idea that the coyotes were filled up on gut piles. It's quite possible that was the case. What I found to be of interest, and what I pointed out is, the deer had absolutely no reaction to the coyotes, being within feet of them. These deer have obviously not been harassed by coyotes. Some would have you believe that coyotes are taking down deer at an alarming rate. My experiences suggest otherwise. That is all.

I said I could be off base and so it seems I am some what. However you do need to watch how you type. Having a conversation in person is much different than reading the wonderful world wide web. Thats why I said I don't take things personally.

Have a good'un.

Just saw this thread and it is a good one. Behind my house is are thousands of acres or trees and swamp with a large creek running through it. We use to have packs of wild dogs, now they art gone and the coyotes have taken over, eating all the turkey eggs and young birds they can find peoples pets are missing at an alarming rate. I have lost 3 cats in 1 year,all taken from the yard. coyote tracks i the soft dirt told me were they went. There have been a couple of cases of people being attacked by sick coyotes and having to go through the shots. State game Capt. i talked to said to kill all i can this will help thin them out but this is like the drug war, to many to late same with wild hogs. At night we can hear them back behind the house howling and now and again you see a dead one beside the road. I have never hunted them but my guess is they are like wild dogs and so i will try that method. I saw a movie once abt some collage kid in Alaska that had a wolf watching him so one day he drank a lot of beer and went around pissing on stones and whatever else marking his turf. I don't drink but i take water pills and the piss starts to flow in abt 30 min, so i will try it and see what happens. I just hope the lady next door don't call the cops cuz i will have a lot of splaining to do. Thanks to all for this fine thread.MM

Kill-goose... I said on average. Yes I admit there are a lot of variables.
However, living in areas here in the NW from Co, WY and MT. I have seen Coyotes taking down deer or the results there of on a regular basis. Injured, sick or otherwise sure. Healthy ones too.

I'm one of those ranchers who has the 100's of deer eating their hay. You can keep the deer off the hay if you plan for it. I'd still rather shoot the coyotes. As I am also a rancher that has issues with coyotes and the horses we keep as well. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself. We have had 2 separate occasions. All withing the last month. One recent occasion we had a horse get injured. He was in a quarantine pen and was harassed to the point that he tried to climb out of the 8' panels. Twisted his leg up pretty bad and had a few nips on him and some hair missing. Now I really wanna shoot some song dogs.

Great you've got 20 years of studying them. Then maybe you should enlighten us on the the best way to call and attract them into shooting range. If you'd help us lunatics with rifles get them close then maybe we wouldn't have to throw $20 of lead. I'd sure be interested in savin some lead on avg. per coyote. Jus Sayin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I just know human nature when it comes to coyotes. Rancher see's a coyote in the same section as his cows, and he's got a serious infestation all of a sudden (sheep guys, now theres a whole other story, they DO have a legitimate concern when it comes to coyotes, mostly due to the fact sheep are dumb as hell and easy pickings). Someone finds a deer carcass thats been fed on by coyotes and of course they assume the coyotes killed said deer (when it could have been one of a thousand reasons it died, one of which yes, could of been coyotes). </div></div>
i will have to agree 100% with this statement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I get sick of threads like this, and they're all over. Someone posts up a picture of a coyote and deer and the "KILL EM ALL" morons come out of the wood work. Some of the statements made on these kind of threads are EXACTLY how the true anti hunters would like to stereotype ALL hunters as, ignorant "bloodthirsty" morons. These same guys will climb all over a guy for gut shooting a precious little deer and causing it to "suffer", than slap a guy on the back for gut shooting a coyote so it can "suffer" somewhere. Double standard and it IS used against us. (and FYI, before you go throwing around words like vermin and such, I know plenty of ranchers with 400-500 deer climbing all over their hay stacks that would just as soon we kill all the deer before the coyotes.) </div></div>
again you are correct.

As or the AR comment, again, nothing against the rifle. Coyote huntings gotten wildly popular, and most the johnny come lately's I see are sporting AR's and Foxpros. They dont kill many, but they sure educate a bunch slinging $20 of lead every time they see one.
</div></div>
sure as hell makes a call shy dog 10x harder to get when you got guys around who cant shoot, but like to roll out with lots of lead... i always laughed @ e-callers... till i started self-filming, now they are a necessity...
for you guys who have seen a "pack" of coyotes take down full grown "healthy" deer, here is some self footage of two bucks, one that died because of a broken neck, the other lived...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ddrWqHZqYoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
for you guys who have seen a "pack" of coyotes take down full grown "healthy" deer, here is some self footage of two bucks, one that died because of a broken neck, the other lived...

</div></div>

Your point is?? We're just imagining it as deer are that willful to live it is not possible?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Your point is?? We're just imagining it as deer are that willful to live it is not possible? </div></div>
cocadori, i am not arguing with anyone here saying coyotes don't prey on deer, all i'm saying is "rarely" do coyotes take down healthy full grown bucks, just like the game cam pics, IMHO there was something wrong with that buck b4 the dogs got to him, he was wounded in some way to bring the predators to find him as a potentially easy meal... if coyotes were so willful to kill, am i just imagining the "live" deer that we managed to free was unharmed, with not one mark from a dogs tooth??? dude, it's an endless argument, if you are a hunter, by all means hunt, and hunt hard, you are my friend... period.

Damn Skinny, I left the tiresome rhetoric 6 pages a go and it is still ping ponging back and forth.

Some guys don't understand that there is a trade off in everything in nature.

energy expenditure vs reward

breeding
feeding/hunting
rearing young

dogs know chances of killing a fully mature "healthy" deer is slim to none. It's not worth the time, energy and potential injury risk when there are so many more soft targets that will provide food, like some of the young lambs a previous poster shared.

But as I said before I don't have any Yote's on my ranch, sadly deer carcases rot in our trash pit and road kill litter the hwy
but worst of all I have none to hunt.........

That whole trail cam picture collage seems a little staged to me. Just seems to be pretty fortunate for that buck to lead that coyote to a trail camera and stay right there while it is being attacked/killed/dieing, what have you. Something seems a little fishy to me.

xdeano

OK, I agree that a coyote will pick off the weak/sick/tired of the herd first because it is easier. What happens after the sick ones are gone? Easy answer, they make one tired/sick. I've seen a pack of 5 coyotes trying to take down a full grown healthy cow. Had I not been there with a rifle they probably would have succeeded.

The trail cam pics are from Oklahoma. We were smack dab in the middle of one of the worst droughts in our states history when those pictures were taken. Everything was suffering in nature during that time. I don't doubt the pictures at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xdeano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That whole trail cam picture collage seems a little staged to me. Just seems to be pretty fortunate for that buck to lead that coyote to a trail camera and stay right there while it is being attacked/killed/dieing, what have you. Something seems a little fishy to me.

xdeano</div></div>

Not to me. Bound to happen some time. Maybe they ran him hard for awhile. There are LOTS of game cameras out there. Im sure my pic is on a few...likely much to the dismay of their owners. Staged or not, wouldn't surprise me either way.

Of course coyotes, being intelligent usually kill the easiest thing around...which may mean a rabbits, ground hogs, mice, sheep, injured deer, a calf, or a full grown healthy deer, or grown livestock. If they get hungry enough, they will try anything along that spectrum. Common sense says they are less successful as the strength and size/endurance of the prey increases. Is that even debatable?

There are not as many hunters around as there used to be. I see more rabbits and ground game than I used to, more deer, and way more coyotes than I when I was a kid around here. There are also far more hawks. Seems obvious that when food supplies grow, predators correspondingly increase.

I have a friend who let their small dog out, one of those dogs that like Toto, I forget what the breed is called. Anyway, they were watching it run around in the back field late afternoon and a coyote ran right by and snatched it up without even stopping, right in front of their eyes. Unusual? Yes.
But the unusual happens.

They are in no danger of extinction, at least not now. I see no reason not to hunt them, and no reason to even have to justify hunting them. If you have livestock it is plain necessary, but nothing wrong with it if you dont. The smart ones figure out that harassing the cattle hoping to separate a calf is dangerous when they get shot at. After about two encounters with a pack they dont seem to come back that year, whether I hit them or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But as I said before I don't have any Yote's on my ranch, sadly deer carcases rot in our trash pit and road kill litter the hwy
but worst of all I have none to hunt.........
</div></div>
no yotes sucks, if you like to hunt em... i've been doing it my whole life, and there have been a few tough years here with the mange and plague... fur prices dropped no one valued the coyote so they overpopulated got diseased... i've been doing work here killing dogs that look sick year round, trying to keep the good ones for seedstock... many think its pure craziness, but i value them, not only for the fur, but for footage... i try and manage the dogs just like i do the deer, and cull the bad.

You should have been around when the Compound 1080 was in use...after it was banned in 1972, the predator population exploded across the lower 48. Before that a guy seldom, if ever saw a coyote. Then the "fur boom" occured from the mid 70's to the early 80's bringing record prices for any critter that grew fur....coyotes survived that and are still thriving in almost every state in the US. They are here to stay and more than likely will be here until the very end.

Love em, or hate em, you have to admire they're tenacious nature, ability to adapt, survive and outsmart even the very best hunters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fisky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proverbs 18:19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having a hard time understanding how folks are being criticized for performing the perfectly legal act of coyote hunting on their own land in defense of their private property. To top it all off the criticism is not being leveled on a PETA website but a hunting and shooting forum.

</div></div>

I don't see anybody criticizing people for protecting their livestock. Don't be so dramatic. This is a discussion about coyotes and deer, not coyote depredation on livestock. </div></div>

Brush up on your reading comprehension or double up on your levodopa. This is a discussion on "Why shoot Coyotes". Dramatic when "fuckheads with AR's, foxpros's and bolt guns" is being used to describe coyote hunters?

Your condescension is noted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Love em, or hate em, you have to admire they're tenacious nature, ability to adapt, survive and outsmart even the very best hunters. </div></div>
+1... I'll leave it @ this.

There have been alot of good points brought up between the bickering.

I also have ALOT of respect for the coyote and thoroughly enjoy the challenge of hunting them. Been lucky enough to successfully chase coyotes in 11 states across the country. Along the way, it's been very interesting to note geographical differences, both in the animal itself, and "what works best" for calling in such diverse landscape. And those subtle differences are directly related to HOW those coyotes 'hunt' in their given AO...

IMHO, it is easy to paint the coyote with a broad brush regarding their behavior. But I've seen enough to realize that coyotes surely do act differently in certain parts of the country. Their average body size alone tells much!

For reference, here's a pic of an adult female I caught a few weeks back. For reference, my cur pup is 50 lbs, lean & mean.
Although this female (only) weighed 40lbs, you can see the body size that is typical of NE coyotes.
trapped1.jpg

To laugh at the notion that these coyotes actively prey upon whitetail deer is, well...laughable! Look at this big momma...
trapped6.jpg

Factor in deep, crusty snow, or frozen waterways and you've got easy pickins' for a hunting "pack" of coyotes to take down a deer with relative ease. I've seen this with my own eyes, as well as the remains of deer that were caught out on frozen ponds, lakes, etc. There are plenty of local dudes who've seen the same. The fact that these animals may be somehow physically compromised from a hard winter doesn't change the fact that this behavior happens, regularly...

Here's a big NY male, from last winter...
003.jpg

And a ~30lb midwest (Oklahoma) male coyote, for comparison...
OPHA2010011.jpg

Another big NY male, 45 lbs..
45lber012.jpg

And a Nevada male, ~22 lbs for comparison...
Globe2009003.jpg

SO, although it may very well be that your middle & western coyotes only rarely tackle your deer, these larger, more adapted coyotes here in the NE actively prey upon whitetail deer. And especially so in the winter months.

Interesting discussion...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Your point is?? We're just imagining it as deer are that willful to live it is not possible? </div></div>
cocadori, i am not arguing with anyone here saying coyotes don't prey on deer, all i'm saying is "rarely" do coyotes take down healthy full grown bucks, just like the game cam pics, IMHO there was something wrong with that buck b4 the dogs got to him, he was wounded in some way to bring the predators to find him as a potentially easy meal... if coyotes were so willful to kill, am i just imagining the "live" deer that we managed to free was unharmed, with not one mark from a dogs tooth??? dude, it's an endless argument, if you are a hunter, by all means hunt, and hunt hard, you are my friend... period. </div></div>

Rodger that...

Guess maybe I have an aggressive bunch in this valley.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should have been around when the Compound 1080 was in use...after it was banned in 1972, the predator population exploded across the lower 48. Before that a guy seldom, if ever saw a coyote. Then the "fur boom" occured from the mid 70's to the early 80's bringing record prices for any critter that grew fur....coyotes survived that and are still thriving in almost every state in the US. They are here to stay and more than likely will be here until the very end.

Love em, or hate em, you have to admire they're tenacious nature, ability to adapt, survive and outsmart even the very best hunters. </div></div>

You should know..I'll hang my hat on any of your comments.

Don't know if I love em or hate them I do know they can get awful smart and you gotta respect that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should have been around when the Compound 1080 was in use...after it was banned in 1972, the predator population exploded across the lower 48. Before that a guy seldom, if ever saw a coyote. Then the "fur boom" occured from the mid 70's to the early 80's bringing record prices for any critter that grew fur....coyotes survived that and are still thriving in almost every state in the US. They are here to stay and more than likely will be here until the very end.

My Dad always said, "when we blow up this world we live in, only two things will be left staring down in the hole.. coyotes and lawyers!"

I don't understand why there is an argument over this. So some people like to hunt coyotes, and some don't. To each his own...right? I mean, c'mon already. Those of us who do hunt them, hunt them for different reasons. I hunt them because it's very challenging. Hunting an animal that can so easily pick up your scent or your slight move of hand is a challenge. I hunt them on a property owned by a large cattle ranch, so I help out with population control. But does that make me a bad person? No. Further more, for those who do not like hunting coyotes, the topic title reads "why shoot coyotes?". If you already don't like hunting them, why read a topic about hunting them and then act like a complete jackass defending why you think it's bad. Instead of replying to the vid and adding positive info, members have decided to attack one another for having different outlooks on the events played out in the vid. Sure, we all get shitty once in awhile, myself included, but why attack other members for posting comments about hunting coyotes in a hunting section of this forum. Why call someone out because of the type of rifle they use or the e-call they own. It's disrespectful and childish. I know we all have a right to our opinions and a freedom of speech, but we owe it to one another to show a little more respect and discuss things in a mature manner.

Just my 2 cents.

40gYP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gr Yote Pill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand why there is an argument over this. So some people like to hunt coyotes, and some don't. To each his own...right? I mean, c'mon already. Those of us who do hunt them, hunt them for different reasons. I hunt them because it's very challenging. Hunting an animal that can so easily pick up your scent or your slight move of hand is a challenge. I hunt them on a property owned by a large cattle ranch, so I help out with population control. But does that make me a bad person? No. Further more, for those who do not like hunting coyotes, the topic title reads "why shoot coyotes?". If you already don't like hunting them, why read a topic about hunting them and then act like a complete jackass defending why you think it's bad. Instead of replying to the vid and adding positive info, members have decided to attack one another for having different outlooks on the events played out in the vid. Sure, we all get shitty once in awhile, myself included, but why attack other members for posting comments about hunting coyotes in a hunting section of this forum. Why call someone out because of the type of rifle they use or the e-call they own. It's disrespectful and childish. I know we all have a right to our opinions and a freedom of speech, but we owe it to one another to show a little more respect and discuss things in a mature manner.

Just my 2 cents.

40gYP </div></div>

this post runs neck and neck with any on this thread for being the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marty Feldman coyote:

001-1.jpg

martyfeldman.jpg
</div></div>

I read the entire thread,there are some very good points made,but for me this was Hands down the best post...Lmao!!

I have witnessed 2 coyotes draging down what appeared to be a full grown muley doe,In all my years hunting I have seen this only once,but right behind my house is a winter deer hangout and its a favorite spot to find coyotes,I've seen them following the deer around just waiting for there chance.
That said ,it would be a sad day indeed for me if I had no coyotes to hunt,and I make most of my living in the cattle business.

The local Gvt trapper lives right up the road from me ,he told me between him and the one other trapper in my county they killed 1700 in one year,I was headed out early one morn,and a coyote ran out uf his drivway in the dark...I got him with the Dodge...one of my prouder moments.Point is there is no danger to the population from hunting,poison...yes Hunting...No

I hunt them because I love to hunt,and I can hunt these challenging buggers year around,I never get tired of it...thats all the reason I need.