• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Why shoot coyotes?

Re: Why shoot coyotes?

The last two coyotes I killed here in South Alabama were crouched down in a field waiting for a young deer or calf to stray from the group. The ones down here don't get terribly big. The last one I shot would probably top out at 30 and he was what I consider a pretty big one. I haven't had any cattle killed by them in probably a decade, but I have a rifle in the tractor at all times. I distinctly remember seeing cattle that had fallen victim to them when I was a child. The most memorable was a full grown cow that was in the process of giving birth. The coyote/coyotes stressed her to the point that she was not able to successfully give birth, by chasing and biting at her ass. For those not familiar with the process, a cow will usually leave the herd to give birth in a private secluded area, most often at night. It is very common for a few cows in a herd to have complications while giving birth, most especially during their first pregnancy. As you can imagine, a struggled delivery alone is a very stressful and tiring process. After so much stress, the cow will go down from exhaustion. Depending on the stage of the birthing process, going down can kill the calf in a matter of minutes, from restricted breathing/circulation. As you can imagine such a condition leaves the pair extremely vulnerable to attack. In this instance, the calf wasn't very big and was not the cow's first (which usually means the birth should be pretty straightforward). Long story short, both were dead and the calf never made it all of the way out. It was pretty evident that the coyotes killed the calf while the cow lay waiting to die. All of this "calling bullshit" to coyotes killing grown healthy livestock and deer stems from an ignorance of the nature of such animals. They are animals of prey. They aren't like us and other predators when it comes to fighting and dying. If they aren't fighting over a piece of ass, there isn't a whole lot of fight in them. They flee until they can flee no more. When they are all out of flee, they lay down and wait to die as you can see in the pictures of that deer on page 1. Don't get me wrong, a grown cow will kill the shit out of you to protect her calf, but she won't run across the county and then kill you. I can run an old cow to death on foot and I'm an out of shape short white guy.... The most graphic that I recall from my childhood was seeing half a calf hanging out the rear end of a cow. The coyotes had a veal feast and left the cow in good health all things considered. A dead calf is at minimum a $300 loss that day in the worst market. 9 months later it is a $1000 loss in this year's market. A dead calf and cow can be considered a $2000 loss on the spot and another $1000 loss every year for the next 10 years in the case of a young cow. If you want to replace that cow, thats another $1500 easy for a grown one that's ready to go, $1000 for a heifer that may or may not be fertile, or $700 for a calf that you'll have to feed for another year (could be nearly 2 years depending on the breeding program) without producing any income.

If watching a cow squeeze the remains of her dead calf out of her vagina isn't enough reason, try $15000 on for size.... As someone mentioned earlier, treble hooks in a tree do wonders. Popping them in the buffet line is far more entertaining though.

If you really want to gain perspective on nature, watch a buzzard peck the eyes out of a calf's skull before it even hits the ground. I hear they are protected around here, so I wouldn't dare shoot one. It is quite odd that the coyotes catch and kill buzzards quite often in the edge of our pastures.... Something about eating buzzard drops those coyotes dead in their tracks in the middle of the night. It's a good thing since we aren't allowed to shoot them after dusk....

As stated throughout the thread, coyotes can be and are a problem in some areas. I shoot and trap them off of properties I manage. But I would like to interject a little science into the argument since this subject has been studied fairly well.

Mainly discussing deer throughout the coyotes range can and does make up a large part of the coyotes diet during certain times of year. Here in the southeast research has shown (Ft. Rucker study) that upwards of 40% of a coyotes diet can be comprised of white-tailed deer during the fawning season. One reason for this is the extended fawning period in AL. Unlike most parts of the country where fawns are born within a 3-4 week window ours can be born over a 2+ month window (due to restocking). This allows coyotes to seek out a readily available and easy food source.

Separate studies in GA, IL, SC, TX and multiple states throughout the midwest and northeast the average mortality rate for fawns to coyotes hovered around 20% give or take. This is due to a phenomenon known as predator swamping. All/most of the fawns are born during a small window of time. Coyotes simply can't take that many fawns out.

So, coyotes are a significant factor we as biologists study and you as hunters have to contend with.

I said all that to say this. Coyote predation on healthy adult animals is rare but coyote predation on the young/weak is numerous. Predators can pick out the most minute weakness we may miss unless a necropsy is done.

Outside of the fawning period in most areas deer make up a small percentage of a coyotes diet. It is not the amount of adult deer they take you should be worried about, it is the recruitment rates that continue to fall as they take numerous fawns that is the problem.

I still say shoot em all
wink.gif

In our area the big game animals we have are deer, elk and antelope. Our predators include not only coyotes but bear, cougar and wolves. Fish and Game does what they can in shooting coyotes to help keep them in check but we have a robust coyote population here nonetheless. Wolves, cougar and bear population levels are higher than they've ever been. Technically we have bear and cougar tag offerings but are limited in controlling them due to the banning of bait and hound hunting. Wolves are another topic altogether with virtually no controls in place and none that I can see coming in the near future.

Long story short...when looking at declining big game herds and the impact predation has on calf/fawn survival, don't stop with the coyotes. They're only one member of a prolific predator community that we, as hunters, are competing with.

That said, me and mine will kill every coyote we can. It's one of the few things we still have a modicum of control over. If killing ten coyotes means one elk calf gets to live I'm all for it.

I hunt them, and it seems to me we are all in agreement about a guy's right to do that. But wherever we live and no matter how much time we spend around coyotes our experience represents a really small slice of coyote life. I am a little surprised at all the all-inclusive statements about coyotes as a species. Guys usually try to temper their posts with more humility.

I have seen lone coyotes harass a whole herd of deer, apparently trying to get one cut-out and running. Deer predation probably happens quite a bit, even though I imagine it makes up a very small part of total coyote hunting. Shoot, bobcats kill deer alone.

Groups of coyotes around here often entice dogs of all sizes, breeds, and temperaments away from homes and kill them, just so the dogs don't kill the coyotes' prey (probably not mice).

Livestock of surprising numbers and size get killed, all the time.

I am not trying to exalt any of these facts as THE reason that everyone should, "KILL 'EM ALL!" The truth is I don't have a ton of care what other people like to hunt. I'm also not saying that's what they do where you hunt/live and your a liar if don't agree. But trying to minimize the facts surrounding events described by others or undermine the credibility of the story is a little off-putting, even if your only trying to reign in the bloodlust of ar wielding sportsman. And so is being called a liar or clueless about your own area.

Fellas we can probably allow reason to rule all of our attitudes, we are on the same team.

Well we will chalk that up as another reason to shoot them. I have picked up more dead sheep and calves that I ever wanted to.

I never hesitate to pulling the trigger on one. Heck most of the land I shoot on I was told by the owners. I lose my rights to the land if they catch me not shooting at them. So I always shoot unless it is truly unsafe. I told one guy that I could have shot at one but it was between me and your girls playing out side. I tried to move on it to make it a safe shot but it got away. He was ok with that.

There are a more and more people that are finding out some coyotes will eat sheep, and some won't, if you have some deterrents. (electric fence, full time guardian dog, etc) If you kill a non sheep eater most likely someone will move in and want to eat the sheep. I've had 150 ewes and not lost any sheep for 3 years in a row, then had a couple gone. Set up some snares and we will see if I got the trouble maker, but if I get the chance right now it is shoot any coyote on sight.

As stated throughout the thread, coyotes can be and are a problem in some areas. I shoot and trap them off of properties I manage. But I would like to interject a little science into the argument since this subject has been studied fairly well.

I said all that to say this. Coyote predation on healthy adult animals is rare but coyote predation on the young/weak is numerous. Predators can pick out the most minute weakness we may miss unless a necropsy is done.

Outside of the fawning period in most areas deer make up a small percentage of a coyotes diet. It is not the amount of adult deer they take you should be worried about, it is the recruitment rates that continue to fall as they take numerous fawns that is the problem.

I still say shoot em all
wink.gif

out here in the west ( high desert oregon) several areas of mule deer and antelope have very poor fawn/ kid recruitment numbers. Every one of the coyote kills ends up making a difference in herd size for the next several years. For that reason, it is especially encouraged that hunters kill coyotes during or before fawning season.

It looks like I agree with your statement, just showing our difference of of fawning season/ vs the south/ se

Yep this is it . Coyotes are ruthless Opportunists, naturally praying on the Newborn . they do a big number on the newyear Fawns just like they do on hunting and looking for Calves . That is why they will never go extinct, live coast to coast in N. America & thrive .