• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Why so many Hornady fans?

gams100459

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2010
pa
Hey,
I'm so curious as to why so many people love Hornady bullets??
I know terminal performance is very good, and they say the b.c. is very good. But has anyone ever weighed a box of 168 gr. 30 cal projectiles? Well i have, from 166.8- 169.1. To me that is unacceptable for a precision application. Just for s____ & giggles, weigh a box of sierra 168's, + - .3 grains max>

Gam

Re: Why so many Hornady fans?

Cost compared to Berger VLD is a lot better for a slightly less BC. I haven't had that problem with 75 gr Amax; they've been within 0.2 gr.

For me, Barnes varmint grenade seem to vary wildly...

Amax is a great dual purpose bullet. I haven't checked the weight of bullets in a box but I can only shoot to 650 right now. If there is a variation
it hasn't been enough to make me look anywhere else. Maybe I'm also just EZ to please:)

One thing to look out for is that bullets in the old style box have a different ogive location than the new style box. About .025 on the 178's. If I load them to the same distance from the lands they shoot the same but if I use the same die setting things get weird.

In my .223 Bergers do shoot a little better but not enough to justify the extra $ for my use.

75,105 and 178's.

Hope this helps.
Trilogymac

I shoot my bullets. Not weigh them. Never weighed a box of bullets in my life. Been shooting Hornady for years now, both bullets and factory ammo, and winning with them. Shot them past 1000 yards as well and they do very well.

Hornady bullets are as good as anything out there and usually cost less. That earns them fans. Performance at a good price.

Check Sierra's prices and then go compare them to Hornady....Sierra is quickly approaching a price point that allows for looking for similar alternatives at same performance.

We may become fans of Nosler. They seem to be making good match bullets at what look like very reasonable prices.
Nothing against Hornady but I use mostly Sierra SMK now though.
I measured and weighed some Amax bullets one time for S&G. They were all over the place! Got on the target in the right place though.

I shoot a lot of 208 Amax's, but I wouldn't say that I'm a *fan*. I don't consider myself a *fan* of anything. My rifle, my scope, ammo, accessories are all tools to accomplish a job. I evaluate each component based on price, performance, reliability, manufacturer support, etc. So I try to make as unemotional decision about each piece as possible.

Having said that, I am finding that the lack of production and constant schedule slipping of 208 Amax's to be getting wearisome and my objectivity is really being tested.

John

Its very simple...
Performance......they do their intended job and do it well, group well and consistently or punch nasty holes in critters killing efficiently.
Price.....Reasonable for the performance you recieve from them allowing you to get more practice and proficiency thus improving your own performance.

AMAX bullets are crap!!! Anyone wanting to get rid of there 6.5 140grain bullets let me know. I will dispose of them for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AMAX is one of my favorite bullets. </div></div>
Best groups I have ever gotten were AMAX bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="color: #3366FF">I measured and weighed some Amax bullets one time for S&G. They were all over the place.</span> <span style="color: #CC0000">Got on the target in the right place though.</span> </div></div>

I live in a red state-figuratively and literally.

I'm with Rob01 on this one-I shoot bullets, not weigh them. I hate reloading, and the only time I weight sorted anything was when I was given hundreds of once fired LC Match 308 brass. One sitting of culling the extremes gave me a few years of great shooting brass.
I think if I couldn't get a bullet to shoot by the usual load development, I'd use a diffeent bullet-period, weighing wouldn't come to mind.
The only thing I've spot checked is base to ogive length and that's pretty right on with all the Hornady I shoot. Measuring OAL or OTM of tipped bullets tells you nothing. Try some Sierra SMK's for length sometime if you want variance...but it makes Tubb some money!!

'cause i gotta bunch on group buy. twice. they shoot better than me. they have red tips. they look cool. its what i got.

smks are closer in weight therefor are more consistant. i shoot more sierra and berger for that reason than any other projectile. however to some shooters won't notice a difference

Been shooting the Amax's a very short while and they work extremely well on those cute furry deer.
Haven't had one even step a inch after being hit with em.

Accurate and very deadly...

when i started reloading i weighed every bullet and sorted them into lots. then i was in a hurry loading for a match and just loaded the bullets straight from the box without weighing them. i figured at least id get some experiance even if i wasn't competitive.

i shot my best score to date (still not real competitive). i have not weighed a bullet since unless i found one on my bench and didnt know what bo it went in

Best bang for your buck in my opinion 100 285gr .338 for 40 dollars can't be beat.

I got hooked on Hornady a few years ago. I read on here that they handle the jump into the riflings better, and based on my experience this is true.
In fact, the .208 Amax is the only acceptable bullet for my AR-10 (.300 SAUM). I have tried Bergers, SMks, Nosler, and nothing comes close. The best I could do with any other bullet was ~1.25" @ 100 yards, while the Amax are consistently >1", .3" best for 5 shot group. One day I loaded some 210 bergers and the .208 amax over the same load. The bergers were hitting 1 mil lower at 1k than the amax. However, I didn't chrono it so.....

I have been lazy in load developement in a .243 I recently put together, but so far I am not seeing any huge difference in Amax vs SMK vs Berger. They all seem to shoot fairly well out of this particular rem 700.

The thing that gets me with the SMKs, and I am not sure how much it matters, but the meplat on SMKs is always pretty ugly to me.

SMK pricing is comparable until you reach 200gr, the the price jumps up.

But like jrob said, the availability is a killer. I am on my 9th month waiting for some .208 Amax from midway. Same thing happened last year, but it was only a 6 month wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crypto666</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One day I loaded some 210 bergers and the .208 amax over the same load. The bergers were hitting 1 mil lower at 1k than the amax. However, I didn't chrono it so.....</div></div>

Berger and JLK VLD's run slower in my rifle when loaded identically to the Amax. Probably a bearing surface issue.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gams100459</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hey,
I know terminal performance is very good, and they say the b.c. is very good. But has anyone ever weighed a box of 168 gr. 30 cal projectiles? Well i have, from 166.8- 169.1. To me that is unacceptable for a precision application. Just for s____ & giggles, weigh a box of sierra 168's, + - .3 grains max>

Gam </div></div>
Gam, load up those 166.8 in one batch, and the 169.1 grain in another batch and go shoot them at 600+ yards. Report back the results with any differences in the target. I think you will be very pleased with the results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best bang for your buck in my opinion 100 285gr .338 for 40 dollars can't be beat. </div></div>

Forty bucks will get you 50 anywhere I've found them.

I use what ever shoots the best and I've never had a Hornady shoot as good as others out there, I use them for varmint shooting or fire forming cause they are cheap but not for anything I need to hit with consistency! Someday I may have something that will shoot them, thinking about trying to build something for the 162 A-max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Hornady bullets are as good as anything out there and usually cost less. That earns them fans. Performance at a good price. </span> </div></div>

Quoted for truth!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hornady bullets are as good as anything out there and usually cost less. That earns them fans. Performance at a good price. </div></div>

I have found that this argument is applicable to many different components of our trade. I shoot Sierra MK's and Hornady Amax's love them both, had great results with both. I always see so many of you talking up Bergers and Barnes and others which I have no problem with, I simply cannot afford to shoot them. I dont shoot as much as some but probably more than others, and i simply could not shoot if I had to pay those prices, good for those that can
wink.gif

When I start out loading, I start with a known performer that is cheap and easy to come by. Hornady usually falls in that category.

105 A-Max is the bullet for my AR 6 RAT, nothing I've tried has been better and I've tried a bunch. Works in the 6 Dasher but not as well as the 105 Berger and Nosler. They do push easier usually 50 to 80 fps with same powder charge. Haven't shot any in .308 pretty well stuck on the 155 Scenar.

You can load a magazine with a mix of SMK 175 and AMAX 178 in my rifle with same powder charge and cant tell the difference on the target. Same DOPE. I shoot both but as others have posted, price is a reason to shoot Hornady.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Performance at a good price. </div></div>

+1 Rob said it best!

a simple formula.

not

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300winman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">smks are closer in weight therefor are more consistant. i shoot more sierra and berger for that reason than any other projectile. however to some shooters won't notice a difference </div></div>

Interesting perspective and not totally without merit, though mostly incomplete. Note the equation below and keep in mind how important seating depth can be in certain rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gams100459</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hey,

Gam </div></div>

Do you have multiple box data on the SMK's or even 1 box from 2 different lots to see how they compare?

Here's another test to do too: Measure base to ogive of a box of SMK's and Hornady's. See which one has a consistent measurement of +/-0.005" and which one varies wildly. When you're seating specifically near the lands to a set point, this is a big deal. SMK's lose the game here.

To see how much that really matters on bullet weight variation here's the formula to predict the velocity change

Actual Weight/Mean Weight = Actual Velocity/Mean Velocity.

So your outliers @ 2700fps would be:

166.9/168 = x/2700 ---> 2682.3 fps

169.1/168*2700 = 2717 fps

ES = 34 on bullet weight variation. I'd be surprised if on a 100 shot sample your reloads with SMK's had an ES under 34 too. 10 shot strings don't mean squat for that comparison. If you want a good number to sample, start at 20, for a better number, start at 100.

The down and dirty of it is what shoots and what costs to equal the performance. I don't run 168's because of the capability in a 30-06 over a 308, but the 178's and 175's do shoot differently in my rifles. I have much less trouble getting the 178's to run together across box after box without sorting by base to ogive like the SMK's require.

The 1 time I bothered to weight boxes of match bullets I came out with numbers that showed the Amax's were right in the mix. I weighed (all 30c) 180 JLK LBT, 185 Berger VLD, 208 Amax, 178 Amax, 175 SMK, 168 Hornady BTHP because that's what I had on the shelf in complete boxes. Nothing had an extreme range over 1.1gr total. I quit weighing bullets at that point.

Not saying that weight consistency is totally unimportant but keep in mind what the physics dictate. If you're doing that much you should be sorting cases by water volume, bullets by base to ogive, seeking certain bullet lots, uniforming and re-tipping the meplat, etc.

I want to see what the groups and hit ratio says. Thus far I've seen no reason to forego launching the little red tips just because of 1 test that is only a part of the picture.

I shoot them because they remind me of an excited puppy!
smile.gif

Well by God, you should definitely have the answer to your question by now!! lol

Usually the reason a product has so many fans is because it is good!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best bang for your buck in my opinion 100 285gr .338 for 40 dollars can't be beat. </div></div>

Sorry that was a misprint it is $40 for 50projectiles.

I have hd some bad luck with the A Max for long range Precision shooting and use the MatchKings for that to 1500yards and load them from the box's but we build a lot of rifles and if someone wants a high BC projectile for varmint shooting or hunting the A max is hard to beet the 105's over 3000fps just explode things and the others work well so i reccomend them a lot for hunting at longer range where a conventional match projectile wont expand reliably and have more chance of ricochet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot them because they remind me of an excited puppy!
smile.gif
</div></div>

That was brilliant!

<stewie>
To Brian: "You've got a weenie like a christmas tree light...."
</stewie>

My longrange gun is a Tikka T3 Tactical 308 and it loves 168gr A-max (over 1500 in my logbook) and if I do my job shoots sub 1/2MOA consistantly and has done well for me to 900 yds. If I run match kings I can never get less than 1 MOA.

Getting ready to give the 178gr A-Max a try

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAFAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a simple formula.

</div></div>

I don't know about that. I know a guy who takes his custom rifle to the range with his Nightforce 8-32x56 scope next to my Savage 10 with a Mueller 4.5-16x40 scope. His set up is easily over 4 grand as compared to mine which is less than 1. And even if we shoot each others rifles you can't tell a difference between the two. If the shooter does his job, they perform about the same. (actually the savage has claimed the better 100 yrd group = .23")

The same applies with this ammo debate. Doesn't it seem like people read into this a little to much. There are way to many variables to control when it comes to shooting. I agree with Rob01 completely, don't weigh your bullets shoot them. Find what works for you, and for a lot of people that is Hornady.

After trying them a couple of years ago, 75 grain A-Maxs are all that I use in my .223 bolt gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best bang for your buck in my opinion 100 285gr .338 for 40 dollars can't be beat. </div></div>

Sorry that was a misprint it is $40 for 50projectiles.

I have hd some bad luck with the A Max for long range Precision shooting and use the MatchKings for that to 1500yards and load them from the box's but we build a lot of rifles and if someone wants a high BC projectile for varmint shooting or hunting the A max is hard to beet the 105's over 3000fps just explode things and the others work well so i reccomend them a lot for hunting at longer range where a conventional match projectile wont expand reliably and have more chance of ricochet
</div></div>

May I recommend for future posts: . , ? - ! ; etc. ? Please.

I think I keep banging my head against this same wall all too often. All I can think is that I'm failing to get the main point across.

So let me get it down as simple as I can.

There are a lot of factors that contribute to accuracy/innaccuracy. Trying to single any one out and point to it as either good or bad rather misses the main point.

You need to find consistency in <span style="font-style: italic">many</span> factors before you start gaining on the goal.

Greg

+1 What he says. You have to get out and shoot, alot to gain consistency. I am still learning that. Amax bullets let me shoot more with in my budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I live in a red state-figuratively and literally.
</div></div>

I live in THE red state -in every way but one.
(We're still resisting the RED FLAG of the statists and corrupt union influences.)

-Otherwise, Nebraska is still a conservative RED state and will be all red FINALLY after we throw out Ben Nelson in 2012.
-Husker Red (Go BIG Red)
-Hornady Red - Grand Island, Nebraska.

I like to keep my money in the state. Even if my experience was that they were inferior (it isn't) I might still buy if they were simply adequate.

Weight? Is that the only or even the primary factor? Nope.
168 grain bullet
2.3gr/168gr= 1.3% weight variation -and that was your stated EXTREME spread worst case. That is hardly "all over the place".

You would have to fire those two bullets sequentially at 1000y on a calm day to even notice. (Maybe)

Since you're so bored, I'd be interested in a census of an entire 250rd box. I don't have the patience currently.

In my experience, it's not enough to affect accuracy quantitatively in terms of distance at least below 700y.

Internal under-the-jacket concentricity and balance are far more important as they impart wobble and random departure from trajectory. That is where Hornady's Quality Control is concentrated. (I read their load manual and website.)

hornady.com/ballistics-resource/external
Image "C" very bottom.

Can you measure *that* without some sort of non-destructive testing equipment or cutting open and measuring them?

Not so sure about all the technical data, but I do know that I just bought 2 boxes of the Amax 208gr bullets and have all the faith in the world they will do what I expect.
All the Hormandy Amax bullets, make me happy.

Lastly, show me a 175-180 gr .30 cal bullet that has better than a .530BC and is cheaper than the Hornady 178 BTHP?

Great performance at realistic prices, why not use them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great performance at realistic prices, why not use them? </div></div>

+1

I have had great luck with 105 amax's and 168/178 308 factory match loads. They are priced very well and do everything I need. Until they fail to preform in reality I see no reason not to use them.

Accurate. Jump Tolerant, Sexy, Good Value, Great on Game, Most have Conservative BC #'s unlike a few other companies and Entertainment Factor*

Endless possibilities when asked "What is that Red Tip" Anything from Plasma War Heads to Vials of Poison can be used to fuck with Newbies....

Because they've always shot great for me. I've tried Nosler, speer, sierra in a few calibers and the hornady SP, BTSP, or Amax has always shot as good or in most cases better for me. Then it comes down to the price. Hornady beats everyone I've found in this department on the high bc long range bullets. Thats why I started using hornady and why I will keep using them.

Maybe if all you guys weren't such big fans, I wouldn't have to wait on backorders so often!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AMAX bullets are crap!!! Anyone wanting to get rid of there 6.5 140grain bullets let me know. I will dispose of them for you. </div></div>

Would it tease you to tell you I have 500 NIB. However, they will be going down the tube of my new build.

I have had great luck with Hornady bullets in multiple calibers. The 40 20cal vmax is amazing and like 15 bucks for 100.

This is strange to me , I have owned many precision rifles in many diff. calibers and always try the amax and match bullets from Hornady but can never get them to shoot with sierra bullets. I wish I could b/c they are cheeper also I try the nosler custom competitions and have the same results. I am about to start a load work up for a new .308 and will try the amax agan. It seems the 178g are a favorite for long range work , how are you guys getting the m to shoot? Are you jaming them or jumping and are you running them fast or what? I would like some sugustions b/c I can get the results I want from the 175g SMK but would like to give the amax a fair shake. Thanks for the intel.