• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Wilson Spec-Ops 9

Doc1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Orlando, FL
A good companion to a rifle is a pistol. Though I like my 1911s (in 45), at times I like a good 9mm.

I was wondering if anyone here has a Wilson Spec-Ops 9. The name aside, what do you think of a 2k poly weapon? I know it will be good, it is a Wilson, but ....

SPECOPS.jpg

(PS: I did a search and did not see this topic, so hopefully it is ok to discuss ....)

Re: Wilson Spec-Ops 9

i remember when they were doing a contest for the name, they picked a crappy one. Regardless, i dont like the gun, not a fan of 9mm and not a fan of polymer guns either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i remember when they were doing a contest for the name, they picked a crappy one. Regardless, i dont like the gun, not a fan of 9mm and not a fan of polymer guns either. </div></div>

It's funny how opinions vary. I think the glock 19 is the best defensive handgun made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i remember when they were doing a contest for the name, they picked a crappy one. Regardless, i dont like the gun, not a fan of 9mm and not a fan of polymer guns either. </div></div>

It's funny how opinions vary. I think the glock 19 is the best defensive handgun made. </div></div>

+1 for the 19, not sure how a poly 1911 would do.

While this 9mm looks a lot like a 1911 there are some noticable differences: (from WC)

1) Redesigned 4.5" barrel/slide lockup optimized for 9x19 cartridge feeding and energy. Large single top lug and optimized ejection port lock up. Match grade crown and chamber with integral ramp and supported chamber.

Guaranteed to shoot 1.5" groups at 25 yards.

2) Bushingless front muzzle lockup. Barrel mates with precision machined slide cut.

3) Newly designed recoil assembly.

4) New front/rear sights with lo-profile design. Front sight secured by dovetail and screw making it easy to swap out different height blades or different inserts.

5) Lower profile beavertail grip safety and restyled hammer for a reduced concealed carry signature.

6) Slimmer, flat topped slide, optimized for 9x19 recoil dynamics.

7) Molded in Wilson starburst grip pattern. Front and rear checkering.

However, in many ways it is similar to a 1911:

The SPEC_OPS 9 Concept

A polymer framed carry pistol with a proven 16 round metal magazine, 1911 style fire control system, completely new barrel lockup and reengineered recoil system scaled for the 9x19 cartridge-all under 30 ounces unloaded. Add Wilson Combat’s legendary heritage for steadfast quality and you get the perfect high capacity 9mm for range or street with the following cutting edge features:

• The unique, mid-length, reduced mass slide design generates minimal muzzle flip with any 9mm loading and is trimmer in every dimension than a standard 1911 slide. Angled front carry cuts enable easy reholstering and press checking while adding a distinctive custom profile.

• The all new, premium grade 416 stainless steel barrel with enhanced lockup geometry is ideally matched to the recoil impulse and pressure of even the hottest 9mm loading. The SPEC-OPS 9 chamber area has been likewise strengthened and the muzzle smoothly interfaces directly into the precision bored slide without the need for a separate bushing.

• The stainless steel frame rail assembly is CNC machined from solid billet steel to exacting dimensions and permanently fused to the polymer grip for unfailing, precise rigidity. Unlike other polymer 1911 style guns, this grip is guaranteed to never come loose when you least expect it.

• The SPEC-OPS 9’s Kevlar and Zytel reinforced polymer grip has Wilson Combat’s popular Starburst pattern molded in for the perfect amount of traction in varied conditions and enhanced concealed carry comfort over traditional grip designs.

• A reduced profile grip safety tang and unique, matching hammer reduce the concealment footprint profile of the SPEC-OPS 9 over a traditional 1911.

• The SPEC-OPS 9 retains the extensively tested Wilson KZ-9 16 round double column magazine for ultimate in 9mm feed reliability. The tapered magazine ensures rapid reloading under stress.

• The new low-profile sighting system is perfectly scaled to the SPEC-OPS 9 slide’s reduced width and height. The front sight is easily end-user removable from its longitudinal dovetail.

If you have always wanted the ergonomic controls and exceptional trigger action of a true 1911 in a low profile, high capacity design this may be the perfect new everyday carry pistol for you. Wilson quality, extensive testing and uncompromising engineering have taken the polymer 1911 to the next level.

I can't see it competing w/ a Glock especially w/ $2k price tag! Maybe the brilliant minds at Wilson aren't feeling the economic crunch like the rest of us!

I don't think Wilson's 9mm is competing with Glock and more than their 1911s are competing with SIG, etc. - they are a different level/class of weapon. However, even for a Wilson poly the $ is a little high.

I do not mind a 9mm, as I consider shot placement the most important element when it comes to the caliber wars. And this is where a Wilsons shine as they are much more accurate than any Glock, etc.

nothing beats a 45. 9mm is to light. seen damage to tissue by both 45 is the winner hands down. just my opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i remember when they were doing a contest for the name, they picked a crappy one. Regardless, i dont like the gun, not a fan of 9mm and not a fan of polymer guns either. </div></div>

It's funny how opinions vary. I think the glock 19 is the best defensive handgun made. </div></div>

I was given a Glock 19 as a gift earlier this month, put about 300 rounds through it, put it in the safe where it will probably stay. Not sure if I am just use to 1911s and cant shoot that thing or what, but just wasnt a fan

I would buy a STI Tactical in 9mm before that Wilson, or any other for that matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would buy a STI Tactical in 9mm before that Wilson, or any other for that matter. </div></div>

+1

IMHO:

I'd ONLY buy a Wilson Combat, If its a STEEL Single Stack .45ACP
<span style="font-style: italic">* The way it was meant to be.
</span>
I'd ONLY buy a Poly.-Plastic-Tupperware "9x19/9mm" if it rhymes with BLOCK.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
"To Each Their Own"</span>

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm sorry this turned into a caliber debate. I have more 1911s than most (all in 45 - though my wife desires a Ladyhawk 1911 - 9mm ) and other 45s, and really do not have need of another 45. PS: my user name is Doc1911. And as stated in the initial post - 45 is my favorite round - HOWEVER,

I also have other calibers - and consider the 9mm and 40, etc. effective ... - if one knows how to hit what he is aiming at! Shot placement is more important than caliber!

Compared to 45 ammo, the availability of 9mm ammo is better here. I dislike STI (too many problems with the ones I use to own). As far as Glocks - the triggers and accuracy are terrible (but I still own some - modified, but not as good ...). HKs do a better job IMO - if I desire that level of weapon, but their CS is horrible. Exeter SIGs have had a lot of issues of late according to several SIG owners (and the few recent dems I have see at the range, etc.) - IMO they presently are not what they use to be ...

I apologize for not being clearer in my original post, but I was thinking of answers in the area of: Is Wilson 9mm concept a good weapon - or do you think it will be? Does the design seem good? Does having a high capacity 9mm with a 1911 trigger seem like a good idea?, durability, etc. To be a little clearer, OTHER brands of weapons are not on the proverbial radar at this point - if I want an HK or ... then I would just get one from my other residence ....

I shot the Spec-Ops 9 last week for the first time. Shoots as good as it looks. Very accurate. Polymer composite grip size felt a tiny bit larger than a single stack 1911, but fit my smaller hand just fine, especially considering there are (16) 9mm rounds in the clip. The texture and ribbing gave me excellent control without any discomfort like some stock grips.
I shot nearly as well as the impressive target that came with the gun in my first outing. The reduced recoil on this 9mm makes for improved accuracy for me, and probably others as well. The trigger is excellent, as all Wilson 1911's are, that I have shot. The slimmer rail on this redesigned Spec-Ops 9mm, looks and feels great. It was redesigned from the previous KZ-9mm.
The size, length, balance, and weight felt perfect for the 9, movement to target was smooth and fast, and I liked the shorter 4.5" barrel and the tritium sights. Because of the successful slide redesign, the gun does not feel like a 1911 .45acp with a retrofitted 9mm barrel. The redesign from the ground up was very smart, and worth the wait,....and ultimately the price. The only down side to all this redesign from scratch, and the thoughtful improvements by Wilson, is that Wilsons' cost to bring this gun to market obviously came at a price. Re-tooling is very expensive, ESPECIALLY when it is done right, and done right here in the USA. Several folks have complained at the $1,995 list price. (plus another $28.00 if you want the ambi-safety for weak-hand shooting which I recommend). We all hoped (me included) that it would be around the same price as the KZ-9mm, ~$1,500, maybe $1,600 at most. The additional $400.00 to $500.00 was a little painful at first, HOWEVER, after admiring the workmanship and then firing the first 300 rounds through the gun, I forgot all about the price. Most of the guns that folks are trying to compare to this "expensive" 1911 9mm Wilson, are not custom hand made in the US of A. Someone told me they would rather have 4 Glocks for this price if they wanted a polymer handgun. Everyone is different,.....if someone gave me 4 Glocks, I would sell them and buy this Wilson 9mm. (since I already have one of Wilsons 45's.)
I submitted "Surgical Defense 1911-9" for it's new name. I thought for sure I was going to win that free gun with that name. I still like my name better than Spec-Ops 9, but apparently Bill Wilson did not agree with me. Too bad for me. Without a picatinny light rail, this gun will most likely not see Special Ops work as many of you have stated, but I prefer to hand-hold something like a Surefire E2D LED Defender flashlight (200 lumens!) when cleaning a room anyway.
As for holsters, this 1911 Spec-Ops 9mm fit all 4 of my 1911 holsters perfect! My favorite holster for this gun is a BLACKHAWK.com (made in Italy) leather holster Model; Compact Askins Leather Concealment Colt Gov't/Comm Size 01 that I purchased from Wholesale Sports in Oregon for $60.00.
It is a very nice soft Italian leather that fits the Spec-Ops 9 as if I had sent them the gun for 2 weeks to design a holster. And, even though my KZ-45acp has a slightly wider slide, this holster also fits that gun like a glove.
I am also enjoying the less expensive 9mm ammo while still shooting with a single action 1911 gun using the same muscle memory as my 1911 45acp's.

i've added an ambi safety to one for a customer recently. when you remove the mainspring housing, you'll see a small slot where the flange on the sear spring fits. he had about 3000 rounds through his pistol, and there was enough wear in the slot that the sear spring could slide down just enough, that it would drop it's leaf off the sear. he's never disassembled the pistol, so i know he didn't cause it. to me the polymer is way too soft. YMMV

i have seen what a slop job arms room 45 can do,also seen what a nine can do. personaly i always carried a 45. old school what more can i say. MM

I am a 1911 purist. I just prefer the metal frame. I am sure it is done well. My CQB has been a great gun. My only polymer full sized pistols will remain HK and Glock. I am down to one of each and probably selling the last Glock.

A 45 is better than a 9 - a 9 is better than a 22 - a 22 is better than a stick - a stick is better than nothing.

What's Clint Smith's line..., "if I could have my choice of any gun to take to a gunfight, I'd take a bazooka."

Something like that.