• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wood Pellet grills

To do cheese I’ll turn on my fan only. I load up a pellet tube and light it and stick that inside. Let the fan blow the smoke around. The heat it makes is negligible in my particular Yoder. Let it smoke 3-5hrs usually.

I get those big blocks of sharp cheddar from Costco. And grate it over chili, nachos, tamales, brisket or pork tacos. Bomb

@Jigstick has a good point on the strength of the smoke flavor.

A little background from a long time ago. Occasionally I would end up at a BBQ joint or 2 in town and it was good but many times I thought the Q was under smoked.

The lines out the door / sold out meat and actually reserving ribs on a list a day ahead changed my perspective.

One method to reduce overall smoke and have better smoke is to burn your wood to coals before adding meat. Not easy on an average offset stick burner unless you have a large fire box.

Quality of wood varies and time enough for a brisket is tough. A good work around is starting a second fire and refilling fire box with coals.

A pellet smoker negates all that bullshit hassle. There I said it and should make pellet nation happy.

There's probably where the slight flavor difference lies. The wood pellets are burning from cold, new wood constantly not coals.

I get around over smoking by Crutching at the stall and when temperature is hit venting steam out of the wrap for a while and then closing back up to rest.

If you don't vent it you can sog your bark and even have it fall appart making slices impossible.

I have made and learned by all those mistakes but over smoking is the worst one.

I have a couple of pounds of Old Aged cheddar from Dimock, SD and going to try it on one 1lb. Low and slow as I can.
Too windy today to play with my new toy. Dimock has good cheese and easy to deal with.

I don't have a smoke tube but will give it my best run. I will keep the temp down and take my time. Fun and addictive.

Last edited:
Reactions: powdahound76
Most pellet smokers won’t go down to 140* or less. Do you have a smoke tube?

The suck of the Traeger..... 😉

33C38AF6-462C-4F45-85F6-E8E3E126FE76.jpeg268221C5-2E3D-4631-957B-9CB25E9FC610.jpegC1EE3268-B9A0-4E63-BCB9-3801170DACFB.jpeg

I am not familiar with a smoker tube?
In North Texas it will be next November - December before cheese could be smoked without some fancy eqipment.

I'm trying to learn sausage making and the few recipes I have tried have you going 100 degrees for an hour without smoke, a couple of hours at 200 with smoke then 140 and a final till done.

Just starting to learn and have messed some up. Fat out got me a couple of times, and a couple of other bad runs. The few times it came out right they were good.

My standard offset does not have a vertical cabinet and Texas heat does not help the situation.

A month from now I could do the 100 degree portion with no fire and a box fan. The lack of low heat settings is why I have not purchased a pellet type device for that. I hate single utility devices.

Any suggestions from pellet nation will be appreciated.

Fat cap can be trimmed to about 3/8 but not removed and always goes on top.

Make them briskets jiggly.

@JMGlasgow - I put it up.
per one of the guys stuff I read, thats his advice.
Im always happy with the results. Steven Reichlen. He is a BBQ dude from way back and makes some unique stuff
i lost about 5 mouthfuls of good bark from the outside from being on the bottom, but that's it.

The fat on top melts out nice and keeps the meat nice n juicy with it on top. 😁

I am not familiar with a smoker tube?
In North Texas it will be next November - December before cheese could be smoked without some fancy eqipment.

I'm trying to learn sausage making and the few recipes I have tried have you going 100 degrees for an hour without smoke, a couple of hours at 200 with smoke then 140 and a final till done.

Just starting to learn and have messed some up. Fat out got me a couple of times, and a couple of other bad runs. The few times it came out right they were good.

My standard offset does not have a vertical cabinet and Texas heat does not help the situation.

A month from now I could do the 100 degree portion with no fire and a box fan. The lack of low heat settings is why I have not purchased a pellet type device for that. I hate single utility devices.

Any suggestions from pellet nation will be appreciated.

Fat cap can be trimmed to about 3/8 but not removed and always goes on top.

Make them briskets jiggly.
My Yoder can slow smoke or direct flame grill at 600*. And I can cold smoke at temps below 140*. Pellet smokers are very versatile.

2 Traegers: 780 Pro, 20 Pro and a Green Mountain Jim Bowie Prime. The smaller Traeger works well when it’s just the wife and I. When things get serious, all three get going.

A Smoke Tube is a metal tube that holds pellets. Fill it to about an inch or two from the top, light the pellets and blow the flame out after about 5 min. Place inside grill with whatever you’re smoking for additional smoke from the smoldering pellets.

Attachments

• 0734D72D-FA40-4528-AE38-F2E99202F50D.jpeg
    0734D72D-FA40-4528-AE38-F2E99202F50D.jpeg
    406.1 KB · Views: 43
They are all pretty much the same. The difference is in the electronics. How accurate are the probes and the temperature sensor? I like the simplicity of a pellet over a stick in that I can set it before bed and it cooks all night without my input. Get a thermal cover, they save a ton of pellets and maintain temps better. I just did a 14 pound packer and I can't even make burnt ends cause it's literally falling apart. It cooked for about 14 hours. Only used about half the pellets. Use only hardwood pellets would be my recommendation. I buy Pit Boss pellets only. The local shop does a buy 5 get one free deal. On that note, I used my stick burner religiously before the pellet smoker and burned it out, twice. Had to weld new metal in to continue using it it. We do everything from meats to veggies on it and they come out pretty good. There's usually a learning curve to any of them, but once you figure it out, you can rival some pretty expensive places on quality. Keep cooking with yours and if you want to upgrade, sell it on a local board and buy a new one with the proceeds, cutting your cost.

• Love
Reactions: Foul Mike
Just finished the rack I had left over from yesterday. Heated it up a bit in the oven in it's foil wrap.
Damn it was good. really surprised that Grandson #2 left me anything for today.

New plan for tomorrow now if weather allows.

Going to look into that tube thing. Who makes that?

I was looking at yoders yesterday they had a stick burner I liked with a large square fire box a good size main chamber and a nice vertical box all sitting on a compact sized trailer.

I had some luck using a cast iron plate sitting on a propane burner fed through the intake vent of my smoker using wood chips.
The sausage I made was decent for a beginner.

The chips were a pain to maintain but temperature was not a problem.

The smoker tube and pellets look like a better solution thanks for the heads up on that.

I might just build a sausage smoker cabinet gas fired and pellet fed for a try.

Just finished the rack I had left over from yesterday. Heated it up a bit in the oven in it's foil wrap.
Damn it was good. really surprised that Grandson #2 left me anything for today.

New plan for tomorrow now if weather allows.

Going to look into that tube thing. Who makes that?
Amazon Prime has smoke tubes in droves. Home Depot and many local stores in my area that carry grills also have them. Lots of You tube videos on them once you pick one up. Good luck.

Traeger owner here as well, been cooking on them for about 12 years now. There isn’t much I haven’t cooked on it (to include a pizza). My favorites are: Boston Butt, thick sliced bacon and rib eyes. I also smoke fish on it from time to time. Been using mostly cherry but switch to alder for smoking fish.

Pellet smokers definitely aren’t “almost all the same except the controller”. The walls of the Yoder and Pitts and Spitts are much more thick than your Traegers, Rec Tec, Green Mountains. They retain the heat better and maintain more even pit temp because of it. Less hot spots. And are much more fuel efficient. I can do a 17lb brisket / 17hr smoke on one hopper of pellets where my buddy and his Traeger would use 2-3 hoppers.

Reactions: Familydude
Well part of that equation is the size of the hopper. My Pit Boss holds 20lbs. I've easily smoked 16 hours on 1 bin full with wood to spare.

Reactions: powdahound76
Pellet smokers definitely aren’t “almost all the same except the controller”. The walls of the Yoder and Pitts and Spitts are much more thick than your Traegers, Rec Tec, Green Mountains. They retain the heat better and maintain more even pit temp because of it. Less hot spots. And are much more fuel efficient. I can do a 17lb brisket / 17hr smoke on one hopper of pellets where my buddy and his Traeger would use 2-3 hoppers.
All true. The thicker gauge steel on the Yoders etc. help exactly as stated. I’m in a spot where weather temps fluctuate less throughout the year. That, a thermal blanket and not opening the lid unnecessarily helps with steady temps and even cooking. Still, the thicker steel on some brands is the ultimate way to go if possible.

Any recommendations on a pellet smoker for a beginner?
Also consider how many you plan to cook for. Most manufacturers make them in different sizes, some with built in temp probes, WiFi, pizza ovens, etc. I’d stay away from too many bells and whistles until you decide you’re going to stick with it.

Temp probes during cooking are a must IMO and there are several very affordable, easy to use aftermarket kinds you can grab if the grill you decide on doesn’t have that option.

You're argument is 1/8 inch steel versus 3/16 inch steel. Nobody builds 1/2 inch walls, it's not weight or cost efficient. So you're point is moot. On a windy day (every day here in the middle of the US) they all lose heat. Blankets or covers make a difference. They don't all have the same size pellet box either. My Pit Boss will run for about 20 hours on one box. I've done it. So, the bottom line is, they all make heat and smoke, the controller is the difference. If you can't maintain an accurate temperature, you're playing with your ass. If you know what your box is doing, it will cook. If it didn't, they wouldn't all still be in business.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Smoked two spatchcocked chickens today... So easy and so good.

If I was going to cold smoke anything I can buy a smoke box and add it to my reqtec

You’re an idiot if you truly believe pot metal Chinese pellet smokers hold heat like a properly built pit.
Dude, spend your money like you want. I've likely been cooking longer than you've been alive at this point in my life and I'll put my money where the value is. A UDS will do everything anyone needs, but not many want them. Now go buy an egg and tell everyone how superior you are to them.

I have a traeger. Fucker won’t run but about 2 hours before it’s full of ash, and it has 30-40* temp swings.

Traeger sent a new temp probe but I doubt it works.

Grew up cooking on custom wood pits(100 brisket between them) and on wood/gas/water tray monster coffin pits. We cooked 700-800 birds for thanksgiving and 2000 chickens for Christmas. Needless to say I’ve cooked a time or two and I can’t get this POS to cook right.

I have a traeger. Fucker won’t run but about 2 hours before it’s full of ash, and it has 30-40* temp swings.

Traeger sent a new temp probe but I doubt it works.

Grew up cooking on custom wood pits(100 brisket between them) and on wood/gas/water tray monster coffin pits. We cooked 700-800 birds for thanksgiving and 2000 chickens for Christmas. Needless to say I’ve cooked a time or two and I can’t get this POS to cook right.
Had the same issue, as did some of my friends. At least for us, the new temperature probe seemed to fix the problem.

Reactions: akmike47
Had the same issue, as did some of my friends. At least for us, the new temperature probe seemed to fix the problem.
my buddy looked and said it doesn't look like it was assembled the way his is. Didn't get much more info, but maybe it'll work.

I been looking for one of those temperature arrays that blue tooth to your phone and check on atmospheric conditions with the NWS.

Those multiple probe units look cool but if one goes out all might.
Still just running separate remote probes but it doesn't look too sporty with the displays sitting everywhere.

I need an internal go pro.

My Z Grill is running right now with," pork boneless spare ribs" that my Squaw picked up when I sent her to the store for "A rack of ribs so I can try this MFer out." I was expecting bones in those ribs, so she went twice, Bless her heart.
I certainly understand your temp probe/thermometers can fuck things up as akmike47 is talking about.

My Z Grill came with a damaged temp probe and wouldn't work, it tried numerous times then quit trying at all, so off to the tech support line to play fuck fuck with people who barely speak English.
"Why you think thermometer is damage?"
"Because the thing is bent in the middle and has an obvious dent where something hit it."
"Please try reading instuctions and start your grill again."
"I have done that a lot of times and I still find the temp probe bent in the middle and error code Er-1- temp sensor not connected- comes up every time."
"You do something wrong, did you read instructions, can you not read instuctions? Can you sent pictures?"

Damn, want pictures? not my forte, so My Squaw comes on board to do that and sends them the pictures. She has been helping all along and is ready to load it up and drive 120 miles to stick it up some poor Target employee's ass, but I chill her jets.

They decided I needed a new control panel and a new temp probe after a rather nasty e-mail sent by them to me and answered by me in a way that will make many of you wonder about my vocabulary. But, it did get them on the stick.

It took 2 weeks and more cussing than a a lot of you will ever hear in your lives but I have it going now, have cooked some really good stuff and am off on my new adventure with my new toy and loving it. FM

Oh, Snuby, you have way more on your plate than I would ever consider, but I am retired and sitting on my nuts.
I was just glad that I got this MotherFucker going and burning, and hate all electronic shit that makes it where I can light it up from my phone with Blutooth or whatever else, but I do understand where you could call the controller and it is done when you get home.
That kind of shit is great for you young Bucks that understand all of that electronic phone shit but it is Black Majic to me and, honestly, I don't think I want to learn it but do understand the attraction for some.
I have the time to sit here and watch it go, or not, and be able to fix any problems and don't wonder if there is a fire on my patio working towards my roof or not. I am just OLD and not within the times, nor understand it.

I have a CO2 fire extinguisher on hand sitting there should this Gook thing get out of control., and I am here to use it, need be.
I have lots to learn.

PS You should have been around when my fat OLD ass was rolling around changing out all of those parts, but I do know how to "fish" wires in confined spaces. Not fun.

You miss my attempted sarcasm.

A couple of digital thermometers is all I have and want for my smoker.

When Texas had its mini ice age (4 inch snow) I rocked a gas grill and the smoker, we fed folks in our hood. Washing dishes with snow melt sucked.

I'm thinking of getting one or two of those pellet smoker tubes to use in a homade sausage smoker because wood chips on a hotplate is a pain.

Hard to use a stick burner in 100 degree heat to make sausage so I'm going propane and the pellets for a try

You’ll need a heat gun, or propane or butane torch to light your pellets/wood chips in the smoke tube. Something with sustained high heat. Probably already pretty obvious but figured I’d throw it out there anyway.

Just your garden style BBQ Deliciousness

Attachments

• 7CF31BFF-EC24-43A4-B7FC-2AC7AFE2A75E.jpeg
    7CF31BFF-EC24-43A4-B7FC-2AC7AFE2A75E.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 6A24E618-ADCF-44FD-9852-D3600C5AD55D.jpeg
    6A24E618-ADCF-44FD-9852-D3600C5AD55D.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 4589E4DA-CF43-4E75-AC15-4D2472F6CBC1.jpeg
    4589E4DA-CF43-4E75-AC15-4D2472F6CBC1.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 421781B7-E034-44DC-896D-628865358528.jpeg
    421781B7-E034-44DC-896D-628865358528.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 45
Nice presentation.

I'm lucky to get it off the pit before chunks are missing or onto a platter before it's attacked.

I have to make an announcement that I need a picture.

Like a pack of wolves.

You cut a piece of bark off the end and run for your life. Lol