• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your PVA prefit experience

Might be a stupid question but do I need to check the headspace on a barreled action from PVA ? It's an Origin with an Osprey barrel. I don't have gauges but multiple factory rounds chambered just fine.

Might be a stupid question but do I need to check the headspace on a barreled action from PVA ? It's an Origin with an Osprey barrel. I don't have gauges but multiple factory rounds chambered just fine.

You should always check headspace. I do not.

Reactions: Corfius

Never checked any of my PVA prefits and never an issue.

I do on everything I put together myself but if they assembled it I would trust that the smith did his job.
Testing doesn’t hurt a thing and would only inspire confidence.

Reactions: Corfius
The barreled actions are all checked several times prior to shipping. If you are buying pre-fit barrels you should be checking headspace as the builder of the rifle. Again, headspace on pre-fits are checked several times prior to shipping.

@bohem

Got my CDG prefit today and the machining looks amazing as usual. Just one question. Engraving was near the muzzle on this one. No more logo near the breach to show off?

Not a big deal just curious.

@bohem

Got my CDG prefit today and the machining looks amazing as usual. Just one question. Engraving was near the muzzle on this one. No more logo near the breach to show off?

Ditto. This is the 3rd time there is no logo.

@bohem

I choose not to put them on the shank as a CYA until exact timing could be confirmed. The impending fallout of wrongly timed laser engraving wasn’t worth the risk. Especially at the volume of barrels cut for this new action. Add in the surprising amount that received cerakote and you have a recipe for a very costly lesson. Couldn’t risk it on a “should time like xyz” Once timing has been confirmed the patriot will be proudly back where he belongs on the CDG pre-fits.

Reactions: Stoweit and kampr
I got my PVA barrel yesterday, had the same question, If you wanted to make sure there was not a timing issue, what about the engraving on the muzzle end of the barrel. Wheres that engraving going to end up.

• Haha
Reactions: S3th
I got my PVA barrel yesterday, had the same question, If you wanted to make sure there was not a timing issue, what about the engraving on the muzzle end of the barrel. Wheres that engraving going to end up.
Well, not putting caliber makings on isn’t an option. Putting them on the muzzle is standard practice on actions that don’t have repeatable timing, such as Tikka’s and barrel nut installed barrels. The markings are far less obvious out on the muzzle than if the patriot was playing peekaboo over the stock or better yet turn him into an exhibition shooter and have him upside down on the left side of the rifle. Chances are it’s going to time 12 o’clock

Thank you for responding to my question, I was not angry or complaining i figured that the barrel info was a requirement. Thank you for explaining the process for untimed barrels.

Reactions: BenE
Thank you for responding to my question, I was not angry or complaining i figured that the barrel info was a requirement. Thank you for explaining the process for untimed barrels.
I didn’t take it that way. It’s an unfortunate situation with pre-fits that I wish we had a better solution for.

Reactions: RFutch
Fwiw I have three other prefits for 3 different types of established actions from PVA and they all have the logo and line up as they should. Later I’m sure the CDG will too.

The markings are far less obvious out on the muzzle than if the patriot was playing peekaboo over the stock or better yet turn him into an exhibition shooter and have him upside down on the left side of the rifle. Chances are it’s going to time 12 o’clock
Lol @ patriot peekaboo!
My origin barrel looks like the patriot is taking cover with his rifle sandbagged on the right side of my bravo stock.
Didnt know 12oclock was the target, but it looks fine to me

• Haha
Reactions: TheOE800
Lol @ patriot peekaboo!
My origin barrel looks like the patriot is taking cover with his rifle sandbagged on the right side of my bravo stock.
Didnt know 12oclock was the target, but it looks fine to me
Only in the example of the current CDG pre-fits. Ideally, inline with the ejection port +\- a couple degrees.

Reactions: Gatekeeper
Only in the example of the current CDG pre-fits. Ideally, inline with the ejection port +\- a couple degrees.
My CDG hits the FFL Thursday & I'll be working in York PA next week ans a half.

LMK if you guys want to get your hands on an early production action to check timing.

308 on order with you BTW.

PVA is doing a barrel nut prefit blowout for Cinqo de Mayo.

There's a couple hundred blanks to start though they're selling fairly briskly.

I’ve had 3 PVA prefits, one before they started the “Osprey” line, and 2 which were an Osprey. Current barrel is an Osprey.

All 6mmBR Norma

They weren’t the most beautiful under a bore-scope, but shooting them has taught me that how they look and how they shoot are not entirely related. Consistent freebore & neck diameter that didn’t require me needing to adjust my sizing after putting on a fresh barrel.

The price is right, and they absolutely hammer.

My initial load data from barrel 1 when it was a few hundred rounds in was a happy enough spot on barrel 2 & 3 after it had a few hundred rounds as well. Close enough that I didn’t bother f***ing with load development. Barrel # 3 was just a load & shoot affair. All were pretty close in speed as well.

For my rifle, it’s the first place I go for a prefit.

Attachments

• 96ECE481-394B-409B-AB9E-00D5752E0537.png
    96ECE481-394B-409B-AB9E-00D5752E0537.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Reactions: hellzna and bohem
I’ve had 3 PVA prefits, one before they started the “Osprey” line, and 2 which were an Osprey. Current barrel is an Osprey.

All 6mmBR Norma

They weren’t the most beautiful under a bore-scope, but shooting them has taught me that how they look and how they shoot are not entirely related. Consistent freebore & neck diameter that didn’t require me needing to adjust my sizing after putting on a fresh barrel.

The price is right, and they absolutely hammer.

My initial load data from barrel 1 when it was a few hundred rounds in was a happy enough spot on barrel 2 & 3 after it had a few hundred rounds as well. Close enough that I didn’t bother f***ing with load development. Barrel # 3 was just a load & shoot affair. All were pretty close in speed as well.

For my rifle, it’s the first place I go for a prefit.
Glad to hear they are shooting great for you. Bore scopes are double edged swords. I’ve seen guys throw away great barrels because they were firecracked and ugly, only to go to fresh-ies that gave them fits. Ragged hole groups are the ultimate trump card. Good shooting

We'd love to see it if you're in the area.
CDG Action is in hand. Very low serial number. Machine work looks stellar, all of it, but the real question is if it’s dead on with your early example.
I’ll try calling you tomorrow. Friday would be best to swing by if that works for you.

CDG Action is in hand. Very low serial number. Machine work looks stellar, all of it, but the real question is if it’s dead on with your early example.
I’ll try calling you tomorrow. Friday would be best to swing by if that works for you.
Great! I have an appointment opening Friday at 1130 if you want to swing by. This time of year Ben and I usually throw on burgers or something on the grill for lunch too. I'll make some extras.

Reactions: ZY100
Great! I have an appointment opening Friday at 1130 if you want to swing by. This time of year Ben and I usually throw on burgers or something on the grill for lunch too. I'll make some extras.
Sounds good 11:30 works for me.

Reactions: bohem
Just want to drop a big Thanks to Josh & Ben at Patriot Valley.

I was able to swing by Friday. Josh grilled up some fantastic Bergers & Kabobs. I wasn’t expecting my barrel to be finished, but it was. Ben checked timing for the CDG, engraved the barrel, & installed it.

Should be GTG for Patriot engraving on these CDG’s now.

Can’t wait to get some rounds down range.
11443C51-DFBB-4A72-99FA-7F3A898E7713.jpeg

Just placed an order for my first 6.5 PRC, meaning I've ordered four barrels from them. Planning to hunt with it so hopefully 20" Brux 4# was the right call. Had to go with Savage threads because Nuke pre-fit wasn't an option on the Cinco De Mayos.

My .308 and .223 PVAs hammer.

@bohem

I've got one of your osprey blanks in 6mm that's at the smith now, looking forward to trying it out soon.

I noticed in your pre-fit chamber selections you don't offer .284 Winchester. Just wanted to verify if that is correct or not. Gonna be shopping for a .284 Win pre-fit for my tikka soon. Thanks in advance.

I was able to swing by Friday. Josh grilled up some fantastic Bergers & Kabobs. I wasn’t expecting my barrel to be finished, but it was. Ben checked timing for the CDG, engraved the barrel, & installed it.

View attachment 8135983

Looks good. I am sure it will shoot better than it looks!

Reactions: 357Max
@bohem @BenE will CDG barrels out at finishing still get engraved or nah?
Now that we've seen a production action we moved to engraving at the shoulder.

@bohem

I've got one of your osprey blanks in 6mm that's at the smith now, looking forward to trying it out soon.

I noticed in your pre-fit chamber selections you don't offer .284 Winchester. Just wanted to verify if that is correct or not. Gonna be shopping for a .284 Win pre-fit for my tikka soon. Thanks in advance.
We offer it but it's a LA reamer and we've had some unhappy folks who didn't know what the stipulation " 284 Win (LA throat)" meant when they tried to put it in a SA rifle. It's not very popular either so we took it off the open orders list. If you want one just send us an email or give a call and we'll organize the order for you. Easy peasy.

View attachment 8135983
Thanks for stopping and bringing along the action, it was great to see you and catch up. Stop by anytime!

Now that we've seen a production action we moved to engraving at the shoulder.
Yeah I guess my question was where in the process does a barrel need to fall in order to be engraved at the shoulder as I think mine was at cerakote before 357max showed up.

Yeah I guess my question was where in the process does a barrel need to fall in order to be engraved as I think mine were at cerakote before 357max showed up.
Hard to say. Typically we engrave after paint but I'm not sure where yours falls in that list but at this point it's kinda the situation "it will be what it will be". We're working to the best information we have to provide the best product we can to guys.

Reactions: TheOE800
Jumping back in with another PVA prefit in 6mmARC. Going to get it for a PRS match set up so going 26" and either the Comp Contour or maybe a straight contour but definitely going to get one of the new fluting options PVA has now. They are pretty cool looking and we all know cool looking rifles shoot better. LOL Will post up pics when it comes in. Not in a big rush as I am still getting the bolt face, mags and ammo together so a work in progress but the pieces are coming together.

Reactions: DIBBS
Looking really hard at ordering a prefit 6BR, but was thinking an 8 Twist. Looks like PVA is a standard 7T. I’ll probably shoot 105’s mostly, but might play with lighter bullets also. Am I pretty much stuck with the longer heavies if I go with PVA (7T)?

Last edited:
Lol 1:7.5” 6.5 prefits gone?
They're there.

Looking really hard at ordering a prefit 6BR, but was thinking an 8 Twist. Looks like PVA is a standard 7T. I’ll probably shoot 105’s mostly, but might play with lighter bullets also. Am I pretty much stuck with the longer heavies if I go with PVA (7T)?
I shoot 95's TMK's up through 112's in a 7tw with excellent results. The 8 is marginal on 105's if you live in a low altitude area that gets cold weather.

You will not have problems with the 7tw

Order placed, appreciate the sale.

For the hell of it, while doing some 400 yard drills on paper, I shot a 5 round group from my 22 creed 16” osprey prefit. This was 5 at 400. Don’t know how it was possible.

View attachment 8173153

Maybe don't slap the trigger next time? (Seriously, holy smokes that's fantastic shooting!)

Reactions: TrevK
They're there.

I shoot 95's TMK's up through 112's in a 7tw with excellent results. The 8 is marginal on 105's if you live in a low altitude area that gets cold weather.

You will not have problems with the 7tw
Thanks, you can ignore my email about changing my order to an 8T. Quick question about the Patriot logo. I understand about the timing issues. If you generally put the engraving towards the muzzle, is it possible to send the action in to get the full patriot logo engraved in the traditional spot? I already ordered the barrel last night, and the action will just sit in the safe anyway.

Thanks, you can ignore my email about changing my order to an 8T. Quick question about the Patriot logo. I understand about the timing issues. If you generally put the engraving towards the muzzle, is it possible to send the action in to get the full patriot logo engraved in the traditional spot? I already ordered the barrel last night, and the action will just sit in the safe anyway.
Yep, if you want to mail it in we can do that no problem. When you send it please include a copy of your DL, email and phone so that we can properly log in the receiver to the A/D book and send back the barreled action.

There will be additional shipping cost involved for the increased insurance value of the returning barreled action.

Anyone know the approximate weight of a 20”-22” barrel with a 3b contour?
I've got a PVA Osprey barrel blank in their 3b and here are the specs on mine:

6mm, 27" blank = 61.7 oz.

I got them to contour the shank down to the "Tikka" OD and it measures 1.145" at the breech end, so keep that in mind.

I'm planning on a 6 creed at 18-20" so I'm guessing final weight will be around the 37-39 oz after chambering and threading, etc. It's at the smiths, so we shall see.

I've got a PVA Osprey barrel blank in their 3b and here are the specs on mine:

6mm, 27" blank = 61.7 oz.

I got them to contour the shank down to the "Tikka" OD and it measures 1.145" at the breech end, so keep that in mind.

I'm planning on a 6 creed at 18-20" so I'm guessing final weight will be around the 37-39 oz after chambering and threading, etc. It's at the smiths, so we shall see.
Thanks for the info. I’m building a tikka so that helps.

Reactions: santee116