• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 grips - need recommendation

Pester

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
Northern CA
I am going to have work done on my 12 yr old Kimber 1911 and am looking for new grips. Since I am moving way from my stnd Black with Rosewood grips set up I am would appreciate input on what grips you like.

I notice that on hotter days I lose grip due to sweat. My wife and her friends will shoot this as well so I dont want something too aggressive.

Your recommendations are appreciated.

Take a look at VZ grips.

I make grips but they are more along the lines of custome highly figured woods and inlays. There fine for light shooting and showing off but for working grips it's hard to beat VZ.

As stated already, VZ grips are great. Some models can be like cheese graters to those with sensitive hands, but they really do a good job keeping the pistol planted firmly in the palms of your hands.

I run gunner grips on mine. They may be a little aggressive but they come with sand paper to trim them down a bit.

I've got a couple of sets KOA grips from ELI. Just like the 3rd pic from the bottom. Matter of fact one set is on a Kimber. Great guy to work with and great grips. I'll be ordering more when I get another 1911. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

L

I notice that on hotter days I lose grip due to sweat. My wife and her friends will shoot this as well so I dont want something too aggressive...
ol'style, factory wooden WWI 1911, or some good repro that can fit your Kimber_ (even better w/out logos, golden engraving,name/phone/address,etc.,in my opinion)_

The Koa in the pic could very well be the set you have. Don't know for sure I do a lot of them

I have a lot of grips and still my go to for abuse is VZ

Last edited:
I like the Aliens a lot. Not sharp, but the really keep your hands in place. Almost the same as the Gatorbacks. I haven't tried the Frags yet but I plan on picking some up soonish. If you like VZ on facebook they have a discount code. Here's a shot of one pair of my Aliens:

Attachments

• RO.jpg
    RO.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I run aggressive VZ grips on my Les Baer, and my SA Operator. If this pistol were to be a carry piece, then I'd go with a much less aggressive setup so my clothes aren't getting hung up or torn up.

Those custom grips above are beautiful. If this pistol is a collectors piece, then I'd gladly put those grips on them. Absolute works of art IMHO.

I have hogue grips on almost everything I own. They are cheap and the finger grooves make my 1911 like an extension of my hand.

One vote for Alumagrips.
You can buy stock versions, or design/buy your own on their website--and they have been shipping much quicker than the quoted 2 weeks.
I like the slim, full-checkered ones, but lots of options. I think gunsite and nighthawk have spec'd them at times too... VZs are great too and came on my DW V-Bob, but the all metal-on-metal won my vote.

The Frag grips are the "just right" amount of grip vs. smooth for my situation, but you can choose from a pile with the VZ's..

I use vz grips diamondbacks in g10. My wife loves them. The g10 material is not as sharp as micarta. Any aggressive grip in micarta will cut your hands. In g10, the edges are not as sharp.

I run gunner grips on mine. They may be a little aggressive but they come with sand paper to trim them down a bit.

I have the original Gunner grips on all my 1911s. They are about as aggressive as you can get when new, but you can sand them down to suit yourself.
Never had any problem with keeping a solid grip, in all kinds of weather and temperatures.

I have VZ gunners on mine also. They've worn down a bit over time, they're not as aggressive as they used to be and they're just about right.