• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22GT load data

Same boat as Krob… I’m running 6.5 twist at 3100 with 85.5s and haven’t had any issues popping jackets. .219 bore. 500 rounds on it, 2 matches, load development… every bullet accounted for.

I also have a 6.5 twist 22BRA that shoots 85.5s around 3060… again, no issues.

Obviously 340k+ RPMs (LOL) is pretty extreme, but I think it has more to do with bullet selection than anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krob95
You guys popping heavies in the 7tw, are these 218 or 219 bore diameters? Ive got a few hundred 88s and 500 ish 90 atips through my 7tw 22gt, never had a bullet failure through the 7tw hawkhill.
That was a Hawk Hill on my Creedmoor that was popping bullets. All Shawn is doing now in the .224 caliber is .219 bore.

I also had pretty good luck when my barrel was new. At about 900 rounds is when I started shedding jackets. By the time I got to 1300 rounds I was losing 1 in 10.

Anyone running varget?

Not Varget but close... I finally got out to test some 4166 today. Screwed my new 28" PVA Bartlein 1-7.5 on my TL3 yesterday. Shot 50rd 37.7gr H4831sc 95smk and they shot ok, nothing special... Best group was 0.5" @ 100yd 2983 SD3 / ES8 @ 0.03 off lands.

Came home and cleaned the barrel last night after those first 50rd. Loaded up a 4166 / 85.5 LRHT pressure test today and shot them. I know I know, my data is shit because I forgot my chrono at home and didnt realize until I got to the range. At least I know where to play..

Loaded virgin Alpha brass from 32.0 - 35.5 in 0.5gr increments. Everything was seated 0.05" off the lands. I was very happy with the results. I shot this fast because I had to get back to take my son to his dentist apt. So I rushed through it and the barrel was smoking hot, no waiting for it to cool between charges.... Knowing all that, it shot really good!!

No pressure until 35gr.. slight ejector mark @ 35gr, little heavier ejector mark at 35.5gr and a slightly sticky bolt but nothing crazy..Its killing me what kind of velocity I was getting. I shoot 4166 in my 22BR and it shoots lights out with 28.7gr @ 3030 out of identical Bartlein blank with 88 ELD...

Going to load up an OCW 33 - 34.5gr in 0.3gr increments with the chrono tomorrow.

I just got some 85.5s to try. Talked to a few bullet folks, Sierra said their 90s are thin jackets and to try a lighter bullet, said their 80s are thicker jackets. Berger said their LRHT line is thicker jackets on purpose and I would prob be fine with the 85.5s, so we will see. It will be interesting to see what velocities you got.

I just got some 85.5s to try. Talked to a few bullet folks, Sierra said their 90s are thin jackets and to try a lighter bullet, said their 80s are thicker jackets. Berger said their LRHT line is thicker jackets on purpose and I would prob be fine with the 85.5s, so we will see. It will be interesting to see what velocities you got.

I mean...if Im shooting them in my 22BR with only 28.7gr and getting 3030..... Whats 32-35gr giving me in the 22GT?? Same identical blank....length, twist, etc.. only difference is 22GT instead of 22BR chamber.. I would say gotta be over 3100....🤷‍♂️

Reactions: John Glidewell
That's my thought. QL has mine at 37.7 of N555 at 3185 and max of 39.6. I will run a ladder from mid 36 to mid 38 and see what happens.

I plugged 4166 into my 22GT profile with 28" barrel and it has 34 grains on barrel time at 3166fps. Of course that is not a trued profile for your gun but probably in ball park. Has 35 as max.

That's my thought. QL has mine at 37.7 of N555 at 3185 and max of 39.6. I will run a ladder from mid 36 to mid 38 and see what happens.

I plugged 4166 into my 22GT profile with 28" barrel and it has 34 grains on barrel time at 3166fps. Of course that is not a trued profile for your gun but probably in ball park. Has 35 as max.

I would say that is spot on....I called 35gr start of pressure...everything before that looks good

I mean...if Im shooting them in my 22BR with only 28.7gr and getting 3030..... Whats 32-35gr giving me in the 22GT?? Same identical blank....length, twist, etc.. only difference is 22GT instead of 22BR chamber.. I would say gotta be over 3100....🤷‍♂️
The gt is quite a bit larger vessel than the BR, believe 38.X vs 44.X, however bet it is running fast. My 6gt liked 4166, psi was around 2940 with 108/109s. Hadn't tried it in the 22.

Reactions: Lynn313
The gt is quite a bit larger vessel than the BR, believe 38.X vs 44.X, however bet it is running fast. My 6gt liked 4166, psi was around 2940 with 108/109s. Hadn't tried it in the 22.

I've shot and have data with 4166 in 223rem, 220TB, 22BR, x47L, 6.5cm and 308win....its given me great speeds and accuracy in all of those cartridges.

We will see what the numbers are tomorrow

Last edited:
I've shot and have data with 4166 in 223rem, 220TB, 22BR, x47L, 6.5cm and 308win....its given me great speeds and accuracy in all of those cartridges.

We will see what the numbers are tomorrow
I tested it against varget in the 6gt. Equally great accuracy, buy 4166 pressured out about 60fps sooner. My rig was a 28" barrel and 4166 at 2940 was just under pressure, but it shot well there. That was Horandy brass however, have since switched to alpha.

Reactions: padom
Alright, I loaded up a smaller OCW today 32.2gr - 34.6gr. I stopped at 34.6gr because I started to see signs of pressure above that yesterday when I forgot my chrono.. Well no shit I saw pressure above 34.6gr after todays outing over the Labradar!! hahahha.. I was easily 3350-3400 yesterday at 35.5gr!!

These speeds are exactly what I thought they would be based off my experience with 4166. One thing I did different today, I loaded everything to .040" off instead of 0.050" off like yesterday. I was just shooting pressure test today over the Labradar. Wasnt shooting for accuracy. No breaks, not cooling, just shot them all in a row, 86F and 75% humidity...barrel was smoking how for this test.

34.3gr 4 shots in 1 hole then I yanked that 5th one. Ill go back to 0.050" off and test around 33gr.

And no blow ups? Nice!
Zero. Every single bullet accounted for... going up from 7 to 7.5 twist has been great. 3300 is only 316,000... my 7 twist that would be 340,000rpm

Now I was only looking for pressure today and it starts in a little at 34.6....1 out of 5 cases had an ever so slight bolt that was a hair heavy...

I dont plan to shoot anywhere near those speeds but just reporting the data...3150-3200 is where I want to be

35.0gr of 4350 has settled at an average speed of 3165, and the spread was under 5 today across 20 rounds.

I also shot 34.9, 35.0, and 35.1 charge weights in the same series to see how the node was doing and while the spread did jump slightly, it was still comfortably in single digits across 15 rounds (5x each).

Calling it good.

Good thing I wasn't doing any accuracy testing and my last 2 posts were just pressure tests with 4166 in my new 28" PVA Bartlein..

Because I cleaned my barrel today and discovered that when I took my scope off to pull the PVA OBW earlier this week and install the new Bartlein I put my scope back on.. turned the MDT one piece mount nuts with my fingers and never tightened them or torque them... hahahahah...

So those 150rd or so I've put through it were all with a loose scope... I was cleaning the rifle and I touched one of the MDT one piece mount nuts and it was just spinning and loose. Checked the other 3 nuts....spinning loose...said damn I never tightened them up....I dont know how the damn scope didn't fall off. Shout out to MDT! .🤣🤣🤣

Barrels cleaned, scope is properly torqued on, 1x brass is sized and ready to load.

Last edited:
Reactions: just browsing
I just started to break in my 22gt Proof barrel.
Soft recoil and accurately is there.

How are you guys resizing your brass?
I have Alpha 22gt brass with Rcbs 6gt fl dies and .249 redding bushing.
Should I change out the expander ball to 223?

Yes...unless you want to ruin your brass.... I remove the expander and use a 21st Century TiN Turning mandrel after my FL Bushing die..

Just remove the expander and use a mandrel to set neck tension after sizing/cleaning/etc.

21st Century, Sinclair and a few others make dedicated mandrel dies.

.247-.248 bushing with a .2220-.2225 mandrel should do the trick.

Find the bushing that gives desired neck tension. Mandrels arent necessary, plus its another step that work hardens necks prior to seating. Believe I'm using a 250 bushing and getting loaded diameter of 252nk. Original reamer was 255nk, but since have reamed to 257 for adequate clearance.

I'll echo the above, pull that expander ball, and get an expander mandrel. .2220 or .2225 and expand after sizing. I didn't notice any issues over the course of 3 firings in my brass with out annealing. SD's were single digit still.

Find the bushing that gives desired neck tension. Mandrels arent necessary, plus its another step that work hardens necks prior to seating. Believe I'm using a 250 bushing and getting loaded diameter of 252nk. Original reamer was 255nk, but since have reamed to 257 for adequate clearance.

Ill disagree on this. Using a proper bushing size sizing down .004 under loaded neck diameter and opening up a neck .002 to give you a final .002 neck tension does not work harden necks... This process works the necks the least compared to other methods with the best concentricity..

Just using a bushing and no expander ball or mandrel pushes all imperfections to the ID of the neck with no expander to straighten it out....

If it works for you great, but there is a thread around here somewhere I tested all the methods, FL sizing, Bushing only, Bushing and Expander ball, bushing and mandrel, etc. and just using a bushing with no expander or mandrel gave the least consistent and most runout of all the methods tested...

I've ordered the Hornady 22gt dies from GA.
I'm going to try their resizing die.

Reactions: aauya
Im using the L.E. Wilson Bushing FL Sizing die 6GT with the expander removed and a .247 bushing.... Love these dies, they are so well made and size like butter. I just picked up another one for 22cm (6.5cm die) last week!

Just ordered three of these from Brownells, using $45 labor day coupon. 6GT, 223 Rem and 308 Win $94 each delivered! Tax and shipping included!

I'm going to assume my redding/rcbs neck bushings work in these.

Thanks

Im using the L.E. Wilson Bushing FL Sizing die 6GT with the expander removed and a .247 bushing.... Love these dies, they are so well made and size like butter. I just picked up another one for 22cm (6.5cm die) last week!

Did the same last week, they arrived on Thursday. I'll get some 22 GT cooked up with Alpha brass I got a while back. Don't have any Hornady dies, these will be the first I try.

I've ordered the Hornady 22gt dies from GA.
I'm going to try their resizing die.

Just ordered three of these from Brownells, using $45 labor day coupon. 6GT, 223 Rem and 308 Win $94 each delivered! Tax and shipping included!

I'm going to assume my redding/rcbs neck bushings work in these.

Thanks

I know Redding, LE Wilson and Whidden bushings work with them...I don't know anything about RCBS...

I fianlly found a good load.
Middle left.
3 shots.
36.4g of H4350
88g eldm
3 thou off lands
3,144 with a 1.7 sd

Attachments

• 20220904_112457.jpg
    20220904_112457.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: aauya and nrspence
What primers yall running with yur 22gt. Can get some cci 450s. Curious if these are better or worse than cci 400s. Havn a 22gt spun up and first time running small rifle primers. Appreciate any help

What primers yall running with yur 22gt. Can get some cci 450s. Curious if these are better or worse than cci 400s. Havn a 22gt spun up and first time running small rifle primers. Appreciate any help
450s are pretty hard to beat in anything srp with 470 diameter casehead.

Barrel may have bit the dust the other weekend.... gotta load a few and see what it looks like on paper at 100yds. Cleaned the hell out of it so if it doesn't shoot, I at least have a line on a 7.5tw bartlein mod400 barrel. Thinking of going the 85.5 hybrid route with this next one.

Barrel may have bit the dust the other weekend.... gotta load a few and see what it looks like on paper at 100yds. Cleaned the hell out of it so if it doesn't shoot, I at least have a line on a 7.5tw bartlein mod400 barrel. Thinking of going the 85.5 hybrid route with this next one.

I'm at the range now shooting my new Bartlein 7.5/85.5 testing N550.🔥🔥🔥😍😍😍

Post target up when I'm done but it's hammering one hole groups....I loaded same test up with 90smk too..see how they do

How many rounds on current one?

1680 or so? It was ran extremely hard in the first 800 rounds. 80k throat erosion in the first 800 rounds. Approx another 17k over the last 900 rounds. I measured again after switching powders which is why I only have these two data points.

1680 or so? It was ran extremely hard in the first 800 rounds. 80k throat erosion in the first 800 rounds. Approx another 17k over the last 900 rounds. I measured again after switching powders which is why I only have these two data points.
What powder were ran hard in beginning and easier at end? I've ran nothing but H4350 in mine with Hornady 88s and 90s. Not a really warm load, 3100 with 36.1gr powder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Timber
I had 150rd on my 28" PVA Bartlein 1:7.5" HV so I scrubbed it clean last night. I used ThorroClean Bore Cleaning System and scrubbed it real good. I then used C4 to get rid of the carbon ring that was forming. After cleaning the barrel I loaded up 2 OCW's using the 32lb of MP610 (N550) I received from American Reloading last week.

I shot 2 charges of this powder with 85.5 the other day and realized I was loaded up way too high at 35.6 and 35.9 which were 3230 and 3275 so I didnt shoot any more and decided to come home and pull then. I didnt have any pressure signs but I knew I was near max and I was looking for a load in the 3125-3175 range.

Loaded up my first OCW with 85.5 LRHT's, 1xAlpha OCD, 450, and 34.1gr - 34.9gr in 0.2gr increments seated 0.050 off the lands.. I picked this range based off my OBT using OBT Calculator and QL (thanks @John Glidewell for the QL help). I loaded up a second OCW with 90smk seated 0.01" off the lands in 34.3-35.1gr also in 0.2gr increments. I didnt have any data so I went strictly off QL with no velocity numbers to true. I can tell I was off and my OBT was dead on same as the 85.5's.

Very very happy with this powder! Shot better than any testing Ive done so far with 22GT and Im glad because I got 32lb of it. Got it for under $200 per 8lb.

Here is the first target I shot 85.5's, I shot the first far right fouler group down the scrubbed clean barrel. 1st shot was 0.5" high then the next 4 practically through 1 hole. I then shot that second 5 shot fouler group right next to it. One thing to note, all the fouler rounds are the pulled brass from my previous too high N550 test the other day so they had noticeably less neck tension when seating bullets. Practically no resistant on bullet seating on those pulled cases...

I then shot the OCW and was happy with the results. 34.5gr was my OBT charge... Same charge I shot as the foulers.. I wonder if the lighter neck tension it liked better. Ill follow up with a seating depth test and NT tension to confirm...

I then shot the 90smk OCW. Foulers shot good, then I shot the OCW. The OBT 34.5gr load shot one damn hole. All in all, Im VERY happy with this powder and will follow up with some NT and seating depth tests then Ill shoot at distance to confirm the load. I have 7 foulers left over after this OCW so I shot them on steel at 700yd and they stacked right in there.

Reactions: DIBBS and Krob95
36.2gr H4350 with 95's. Speed was 3160

38gr H4831sc with 95's. Speed is 3050

Im happy with the results. Gonna test the 34.5gr N550 / 90smk load at distance and see how it does. 3139 SD6, it matches my OBT dead on and QL has pressure at 60,553. We shall see how it does
Why I like running QL. Makes this shit easy. Just curious, where is that from the max given in QL? I typically see these loads are right around 1.5 grains back from max, which is where Bryan Litz said most rifles run very well. That was some good discussion too, happy to help anytime.

Why I like running QL. Makes this shit easy. Just curious, where is that from the max given in QL? I typically see these loads are right around 1.5 grains back from max, which is where Bryan Litz said most rifles run very well. That was some good discussion too, happy to help anytime.

It was right at 1.4gr back from max and right on the OBT 1.279...spot on!

I'm running a 26" PVA Osprey blank, 1/7 twist that my buddy chambers for me with my own reamer.

I'm using alpha brass, 88gr ELDM, 35.8gr 4350, CCI 450 primer, .020" jump.

Gun basically shoots single hole groups all day long at 3140FPS. I'm not going to even try any other bullets because I have so many of these and they shoot so well. Out to 800 yards, I actually prefer this 22GT over my 6GT. Recoil it lighter and it shoots flater. Seems like the 6mm holds up a little better for me past 800 though.

Really curious to see how long this barrel and brass last.

Got back out today to do a seating test with the loaded from yesterday. Im finding 22GT needs to be cleaned more often then my other barrels as the carbon ring really does start to form fast.. I cleaned the barrel again last night with Eliminator and C4 after shooting 55rd yesterday.

Loaded up 34.5gr N550/MP610 for both the 85.5 and 90smk.. Conditions were tough to shoot really tight groups today with the full sun and horrible mirage. Overcast day yesterday made for a nice clear sight picture....

85.5 I loaded 0.060 off to 0.020 off in .010 increments. As I found in my previous tests, the 85.5 love to jump in that 0.060 - 0.040 range with 0.050 being the sweet spot....

Again, CCB was high on the first shot out of the gun and the next 4 into practically 1 hole on the first 5rd fouler group down the clean barrel. I dropped a few shots out of the group, it was just really tough with the mirage.

3180 SD 6

The 90smk showed the same results as yesterday preferring to be closer to the lands! Ill load up some rounds now with these 2 bullets and test them at distance next.

3160 SD 5

lone peak rzr 20” benchmark carbon barrel with 8 twist. I loaded up some n555 in the 22 gt and it’s amazing. Just shove as much of it as you can get into the case!! Haha
75 eldm
Alpha ocd 22 gt brass
20” 8t
40gr n555 (compressed with no pressure)
Tested 10 rnds for velocity 7 fps ES
Cci br4
3320 fps velocity
Two five shot groups on two different days. Look out coyotes!!!

Attachments

• 6ACF309C-36E3-4B7B-A80D-F92EB943DC40.jpeg
    6ACF309C-36E3-4B7B-A80D-F92EB943DC40.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 68
  • B2EAFCE2-3868-4422-80ED-0860172C0DF8.jpeg
    B2EAFCE2-3868-4422-80ED-0860172C0DF8.jpeg
    500.3 KB · Views: 74
lone peak rzr 20” benchmark carbon barrel with 8 twist. I loaded up some n555 in the 22 gt and it’s amazing. Just shove as much of it as you can get into the case!! Haha
75 eldm
Alpha ocd 22 gt brass
20” 8t
40gr n555 (compressed with no pressure)
Tested 10 rnds for velocity 7 fps ES
Cci br4
3320 fps velocity
Two five shot groups on two different days. Look out coyotes!!!
Just bc I'm curious, what is your COAL with that 75 ELDM?