• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.22lr build questions

jackinfl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2008
Fort lauderdale, Fl
Sorry for rookie questions but want to know, what moa scope base are people using to shoot the 22 matches and what length barrel is being used?

Thanks in advance.
Jack

I don’t think you get much benefit past 18” and it helps when you run a can. I run a 20 moa but it would really depend on your scope travel and how far you plan on shooting

Reactions: jackinfl
22"-24" on my repeaters and 25.5" on my current single-shot. I'm running 40 moa bases on my repeaters and a 20 moa base on the single-shot.

I've always enjoyed longer barrels on my rimfires, as it seems to provide a better balanced gun for me.

As said above by bschneiderheinze your moa base choice will largely be based off your scopes available adjustment and the distances you plan to shoot.

Good luck with you build, Shane

Sorry for rookie questions but want to know, what moa scope base are people using to shoot the 22 matches and what length barrel is being used?

Thanks in advance.
Jack

I have 3 20" barrels and one 18". I use 20 moa base on all. I also use Burris Sig. Zee rings with 20 moa to play with. ( 20 moa for 30mm rings and 40 moa for 1".
Mark

Standard nrl matches only go to 100 yards for standard course of fire, though usually the match director will add a couple stages where they can go longer. Nrl22x can go as long as the match director wants, match I went to went to 350.

Our home range only goes to 300 yds so that's been our longest shot. Wish we had room to go further!

Thanks in advance.
Jack

You'll find a huge variety of barrel lengths being used, there is evidence that suggests longer barrels produce lower ES/SD with 22lr ammo.

That being said you you can't really go wrong no matter what you choose (within reason) I currently use a 16" but with a suppressor so OAL is 22", I prefer to stay under 22" total length for hardiness reasons, but if you are wanting to build a trainer for a centrefire then go for a matching barrel length.

Rail cant is dictated by how much elevation your scope has and how much you think you need typically 20-30moa is a fairly safe bet.

350 is usually 12-18” inches.

Dang, I really need to get better ammo (CCI Standard) as at 200m I'm able to get consistent hits (100% more or less) on a 12" square, but going to 8" its more like 50% hit probability.

For .22LR NLR or PRS matches I shoot a CZ455 with 20” barrel and a 30 MOA rail.

Check the ballistics of the .22LR ammo you are using to determine the drop at the maximum range you will shoot. Then pick a rail cant that will give you enough vertical adjustment.

.22LR standard velocity, 1085 FPS, with a 50 yd zero requires 10.3 mil of adjustment at 250 yd (92” drop)