• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

$2500 rifle build?

bonecollector777

AZshooter
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2012
AZ - Arizona
Been around the site when it was part of scout but first post since it switched back. I've been looking at building a semi custom .280AI. Hoping for it to weigh in the 7-8 pound range before scope. Can a nice rifle be built for $2500 or am I better off buying a nicer factory rifle like a Christiansen arms for around 2k? Any suggestions from anyone that has built a similar rifle and possibly who they used for the work? Thanks

Chritensen, Patriot Valley and MPA all have fantastic turn keys for under 2k, but customer service, if anything should go wrong, is very hit or miss from all three. In today's market where $2,500 can build a very very nice semi-custom and if you're not trying to make production class I don't think they are worth the potential headache.

Going with a Bravo Chassis($350), Trued 700 ($450) from Northland Shooters, Criterion barrel($300) and trigger tech($150) puts you well under your budget and despite forum blow hard opinions is still a great combo. Prices listed are all without tools, shipping and FFL transfer fee so keep that in mind if they need to be included in your budget.

There are lots of options to upgrade action, chassis or barrel to the brand of your choice within budget. For example a Big Horn action is $825 and they work with Savage small shank Criterion barrels($300). You could even spec out a nice custom manners stock w/ mini-chassis to go with the Origin barreled action and come in very close to budget if you're careful with the stock add-on options. Though with tools/shipping you're likely stretching the budget some.

The issue you're going to run into, the thing that can get super expensive, is the weight. If 7-8 is a hard goal, the above combo is already pushing the weight limit. Bravo is roughly 3.5lb, action/trigger is roughly another 2lb and 24" sporter contour barrel is right around 3lb. So the real question to ask yourself is how committed are you to the weight limit?

Bighorn Origin ~825
Bartlein/Kreiger/Rock Creek prefit in caliber/contour of your choosing ~600
KRG Bravo ~400
Triggertech Diamond ~250

Done. You can even have enough money for a Proof Carbon barrel if you want to go even lighter.

Edit: I didn’t realize you couldn’t get an Origin long action. Substitute for a Nucleus.

Last edited:
I would build. You should be able to get what you want at around that budget.

Proof Research CF 280 AI Savage Prefits are in stock right now for $830 at Stockys Stocks. If you wait for a sale you can probably snag one cheaper.

Proof barrel- $830
ARC Nucleus- $1000
TT Special- $200
KRG Bravo- $430
Bighorn barrel nut- $40

Exactly at $2500, plus shipping/FFL transfer, etc.. Probably spend another $50-150 on magazines. You could probably also catch sales or change options (cheaper trigger, cheaper action, etc..) and get to the same point for less money.

ETA: The above is all stuff you can put together yourself.

Reactions: Steel head
I'd second the big horn origin with a prefit mentioned above, but they're only in short action. Here's my build with similar goals below, give or take:

Big Horn Origin $825
PVA #2 prefit $450
Manners EH6 $535
Wyatt's mag w. action modification $130
Hawkins BDL $125
Geiselle trigger $200
Headspace gauges $70
------‐------------------------------
$2,335.00 (give or take with sales, etc)

Whole thing weighs in at 8.125 lbs with a Leupold VX-5HD in seekins low 30mm rings on top. Gun without optics is around 6.6875 lbs. So, yes. You can definitely piece together a custom in your price range and make weight. Bonus of being able to swap calibers or rebarrel right in your basement.

If you're set on 280AI (as I originally was), you'll have to swap out for a different action. Some good options around the $1,000 mark, take your pick. In the end I wanted to have the same action across 2 guns and the origin was right for the price. Factor in some savings on not having the action opened up for the extended magazine depending on your action/caliber selection and if you reload or not. $80, in my case.

Attachments

• 20190709_141729.jpg
    20190709_141729.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
I ended up with a Defiance / Bartlein / Manners in 6.5 PRC for a hunting rifle, but the total build was around $3500 plus $2000 for glass. Looking back, a factory rifle like the Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon and a simple scope would've been plenty of rifle for shooting at animals.

Reactions: Defiance Machine
Just finished up something right on the lines of these example, bighorn tl3, proof carbon 26” 300 win mag, krg bravo, TT special I’ve got just under 2500 in it. I’m quite fond of it.

Long action bravo is 3 lbs 7 ounces. Full rifle is right at 8 lbs 9-10 ounces

The last two rifles I built were on the Kelbly Atlas Tac action which you can also get in a long action.
You can either buy the barrel from them of send them yours and have it chambered and threaded without needing to send the action.
Both of the two I just finished came in under your stated budget, one of them I bought and ordered everything individually the other was almost entirely purchased in pieces from members here.

As everyone above mentioned, it’s doable. If you are not in a hurry then when wait for the holiday sales! Bought everything for my rifle over the course of a year.

• Bighorn Origin pre order - $750+$20 FFL transfer
  • XLR Envy BF sale $630
  • Geissele Super 700 trigger -$220
  • Hawkhill M24 Savage prefit - $499
  • ARC barloc - $150
  • Area419 Hellfire - $140
Total = $2,409 and add maybe $100 for some of the shipping.

Best part, I was able to assemble the rifle in 30 minutes.