• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 AR10 Build Info/Picture Thread

Hi. Longtime lurker, first time poster. I'll contribute. These are my big block beauties. Laverne and Shirley. Both in 308. My idea was to assemble a medium length rifle that's short enough to be a good bush gun, but long enough to land hits out to 1000yds (full disclosure, I've only shot them out to about 930). I only meant to build one. But, I might have gotten a bit carried away stacking parts. And…. I kind of accidentally built two. Schlemiel Schlimazel.

On the left is Laverne. A UUK from LaRue on a matching lower. I pretty much kept this one stock after assembling it. 18” rifle-gassed barrel. 15.5” handguard. MBT trigger. RAT stock. APEG grip. The only non LaRue parts on it are: PRI gas buster charging handle (not LaRue but included in the kit). Sprinco Orange buffer spring (also included in kit). CMMG ambi-safety. Troy back ups. Vltor VC-302 flash hider. BattleArms handstop. Arisaka 5 slot rail. Magpul QD socket. Leupold VX-6 2-12X42 (non HD) in a LaRue LT204 mount. Total weight is about 13lbs. The break-in was kind of a bitch (approx 300rds before frequent stoppages finally tapered off), now she's a good performer. Sub moa all day if my caffeine intake is in check and I'm shooting the right ammo.

On the right is Shirley. Stag receivers. 18” Criterion 1:10 nitrided midlength barrel. Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. JP Enterprises FMOS bolt/bcg. SLR Ion Lite 14.8" handguard. BCM mod 1 comp. Geissele SSA trigger. Vltor long-latch charging handle. Both the ambi-safety and mag release button are from Seekins Precision. Luth 'Paddle' oversized bolt catch. Ergo grip (the tactical fat one). Magpul SR-25 ten position RE. Magpul QD end plate. Tubb flatware spring. Brownells H3 buffer. Vltor EMOD stock. LMT flip up sights. BattleArms handstop. 5 slot rail, QD socket, and offset scout mount are from Arisaka. Surefire m300 scout at the 1'o'clock. Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x42 VTAC in a LaRue LT-104 mount. Total weight is about 12lbs.

Both are rattle canned in khaki, tan, and olive. The padded slings I made myself on my Juki.
The Stag/Criterion is hands down my favorite. Zero issues once I settled on a standard load (168's over 42.5 TAC) and properly tuned the gas block. The Tubb spring is smooooth and an absolute must on any build imo.
The LaRue started out as a finicky c**t. Constant feeding issues. Once the Sprinco Orange buffer spring finally broke itself in, it's been fine. Charges and cycles smoothly. I want to replace the older VX-6 with something that has more than 19 minutes of elevation. With my 168's flying at 2750 I'm typically out of dial at about 7-750 yds. At 12 and 13lbs, they’re definitely a pair of fat chicks. I figure if I just do an extra pushup every morning I’ll be ok.

tempImageZg787k.png

Last edited:
I just finished it and haven't fired it yet. I'll find out after I go to the range next Friday to zero the scope.
Hope it works for you. I've got a huge variety of brakes and am not concussion sensitive, and the M4-72 is the only brake I took off and will never use again. And that's on a 5.56.

Hope it works for you. I've got a huge variety of brakes and am not concussion sensitive, and the M4-72 is the only brake I took off and will never use again. And that's on a 5.56.
Went to the range today. Seemed to have reduced the recoil quite a bit and the noise didn't bother me while shooting. But I had my nephew shoot it with me standing behind and to the side. I could really feel the concussion. LOL

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Went to the range today. Seemed to have reduced the recoil quite a bit and the noise didn't bother me while shooting. But I had my nephew shoot it with me standing behind and to the side. I could really feel the concussion. LOL
@Fret
that's the wrong place to stand for the M4-72. I have that brake on a few 5.56's, 7.62x39, and a lot of 308's. My favorite brake, unless i'm going for TacticalCool, or it's 6.5CM.

but I wouldn't use it on anything shorter than 14.5".

Last edited:
Glad it's working for you. I may try it on a longer barrel some day, but on my 14.8" it sent carbon particles into my face and parted my hair. Hard not to blink and flinch when that's happening.

• Haha
Reactions: rpoL98
Great looking rig. Those ADM builder sets are tempting.

Thanks. Really enjoying the ambi lower. Criterion barrel is accurate as well. Shooting M118LR about 3/4 MOA. Just got in some 168gr FGMM to try out soon as well. Great rifle with all high quality parts.

Reactions: Jsp556
My setup/build:

Savage MSR-10 Hunter, 18” barrel.

From front to back:
  • Nielsen Sonic suppressor (Danish suppressor brand)
  • Magpul bipod
  • Light, can’t remember the brand but does what it’s supposed to when I regulate raccoon dogs
  • FAB Defense Gradus foregrip
  • RRR Gunrest sandbag sleeve (TX)
  • Spuhr 3016 mount
  • Sightmark 3-18x50 MR2
  • Sightmark M-Spec red dot
  • Magpul sling
  • Magpul CTR stock
  • Larue Tactical RISR

Attachments

• DSC_2692_edited.jpg
    DSC_2692_edited.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 200
Took the 18" UIC-10A out to Talladega CMP yesterday. Was dealing with swirling 15-20 mph winds all day with the remnants of Hurricane Nicole starting to bear down on the range. With 168gr FGMM ammo I was stacking rounds in the X ring at 100 yds while confirming zero. Out on the unknown distance range, I was able to get the last 7 rounds of a 10 round mag to hit a 10" steel target at 630yds consecutively. I believe this was their furthest target. Could have sworn I had footage of this but apparently the phone wasn't recording. Very impressed with the accuracy of this gas gun. Next test will be 1,000yds at Dead Zero range.

Edit: Definitely need a better grip, that basic Magpul is so uncomfortable.

c5ZtW15.jpg

Took the 18" UIC-10A out to Talladega CMP yesterday. Was dealing with swirling 15-20 mph winds all day with the remnants of Hurricane Nicole starting to bear down on the range. With 168gr FGMM ammo I was stacking rounds in the X ring at 100 yds while confirming zero. Out on the unknown distance range, I was able to get the last 7 rounds of a 10 round mag to hit a 10" steel target at 630yds consecutively. I believe this was their furthest target. Could have sworn I had footage of this but apparently the phone wasn't recording. Very impressed with the accuracy of this gas gun. Next test will be 1,000yds at Dead Zero range.

c5ZtW15.jpg

My 20" loves 168 Sierra Match Kings (about .75 MOA with box ammo). And I hadn't even tried unsuppressed yet. I almost worried to find out it does worse without a can lol

What does that weigh?
14lbs 6oz without a mag
My 20" loves 168 Sierra Match Kings (about .75 MOA with box ammo). And I hadn't even tried unsuppressed yet. I almost worried to find out it does worse without a can lol
I'm very impressed with the accuracy out of this 18" Criterion barrel. I doubt I'll ever shoot it unsuppressed.

c5ZtW15.jpg

Very nice!

Reactions: bf2junky
16"DB10; Not my build, perse, but I did mount the Vortex strike eagle 1-8 in a QD cantilever QD mount, added BUIS, changed stock to MFT minimalist, added
IMG_20221113_015041216.jpg
IMG_20221113_015009139.jpg
, Fab grips, Surefire SOCOM warcomp. And an unfired 16" 6.5 CM barrel (DSG = BA) I only paid $50 for! I will build it as a 2nd upper, already ordered a stripped upper, more as I can afford, as I am a poor.

Attachments

• IMG_20221113_014914453.jpg
    IMG_20221113_014914453.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20221113_014832146.jpg
    IMG_20221113_014832146.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20221113_014931359.jpg
    IMG_20221113_014931359.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Upper finished. Just need to flesh out the lower. Saved some money on recent sales.

Upper:
BA upper receiver
Wilson Combat Mlock handguard 14.6“
Wilson Combat Recon barrel, 16” intermediate gas, 1-11.25” twist
308W
SLR Sentry 7 gas block
Huxwrx 762 flash hider (for my suppressor)
Aero Precision BCG
Radian SD charging handle
CF1CBD34-96F4-4F98-8E75-C650C4B94E5C.jpeg

Not my build, but my 16"DB10 with; Vortex strike eagle 1-8View attachment 7998006View attachment 7998007, Fab grips, Surefire warcomp, MFT battle link stock. And an unfired 16" 6.5 CM barrel I only paid $50 for! I will build it as a 2nd upper, already ordered a stripped upper, more as I can afford, as I am a poor.
Because there is no standard spec large frame AR, and I bought this DB10 without that knowledge, I decided in an effort to keep things compatible on the 6.5 upper, I ordered all my parts from Diamondback. Got the stripped upper a couple of weeks ago. I took advantage of their BF sale for 25% off w/free shipping and bought most of the rest (still need adjustable GB, Surefire warcomp, & optic)
$290 + shipping reg price for $215 & free shipping!
So far $368 spent. Had I not gone last week to buy 300 rounds of 6.5 ammo, I'd have picked up another stripped lower, and/or a complete 308 13.5" upper.

Did up a custom 6.5 barrel for the long mlok upper for this MWS. Also tried my hand at spraying Cerakote for the first time. Took some close up photos of all the engravings beforehand and re-lasered them on afterwards, thought that really looked nice. Been waiting all summer for the Magpul PRS Lites to start shipping…

View attachment 7701771
View attachment 7701772
What color cerakote? RAL 8000?

Made a trip out to Arena Training Facility today with a buddy and the ADM 18" UIC-10A .308. I had some pretty good results today. Believe it or not, I hit 1168 yds with FGMM 168gr ammo once out of 15 rounds. Me and my buddy just looked at each other and didn't say a word after we heard the steel ring. :ROFLMAO: I had to dial 21.5 mils and hold 2.2mils for wind. I hit the target on the 5th shot out of 15 but could not get another hit although I was seeing splashes all around the target.

Other than that I kept it within 1000yds. Here is a video of a pretty nice string of shots at target 858yds away from an elevated tower. Forgot my damn M118LR rounds at home.

Attachments

• IMG_4881.JPG
    IMG_4881.JPG
    549.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4874.JPG
    IMG_4874.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4873.JPG
    IMG_4873.JPG
    495.3 KB · Views: 88
So I am awaiting the remaining parts for my rifle to be shipped, namely, the proper sized LPK from Aero and an RE5 buffer tube from Vltor.

I know from shooting friends’ large frames that they are inherently more difficult to shoot. Do y’all have any specific techniques or tips for both precision and speed (like a regular AR15) shooting?

I’ve watched @lowlight videos countless times about shooting a semi and it has helped my progress with a 556 AR.

So I am awaiting the remaining parts for my rifle to be shipped, namely, the proper sized LPK from Aero and an RE5 buffer tube from Vltor.

I know from shooting friends’ large frames that they are inherently more difficult to shoot. Do y’all have any specific techniques or tips for both precision and speed (like a regular AR15) shooting?

I’ve watched @lowlight videos countless times about shooting a semi and it has helped my progress with a 556 AR.
Was gonna recommend @lowlight 's vids but I see you've already seen them.
Fundamentals are paramount on LF's. Every. Single. Shot... you have to be on top of your follow through, NPA, etc. Can't afford any shortcuts like with a 5.56

Try getting in a good dry fire session every single day.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Was gonna recommend @lowlight 's vids but I see you've already seen them.
Fundamentals are paramount on LF's. Every. Single. Shot... you have to be on top of your follow through, NPA, etc. Can't afford any shortcuts like with a 5.56

Try getting in a good dry fire session every single day.
Thanks, between the different rifle size and price of even M80 ball, dry fire will be paramount. I plan on doing my best to get in 1-2 sessions a week and maybe 5-7 minutes of handling everyday.

From shooting the two I have shot, it seems that patience in follow through is very important. Never have ran one like a carbine though, so that’ll be interesting.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
Thanks, between the different rifle size and price of even M80 ball, dry fire will be paramount. I plan on doing my best to get in 1-2 sessions a week and maybe 5-7 minutes of handling everyday.

From shooting the two I have shot, it seems that patience in follow through is very important. Never have ran one like a carbine though, so that’ll be interesting.
When dry firing, balance a quarter or nickel on top of the barrel. This'll help keep you in check when breaking the "shot" also.

There's relatively little standardization in big block gun components compared to that we enjoy in small block guns. Sometimes you end up with a combination that works. Sometimes you do not.

I've used KAC big block rails with SR-25/DPMS pattern receivers.

IMG_3193.jpg

Some KAC stuff doesn't even work with other KAC stuff. I've had to hone out KAC URX barrel nuts - just to get them to fit over first generation KAC SR-25 barrels.

20” Ruger SFAR
Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50
Vortex Venom 6moa offset MRDS
Magpul MLOK Bipod
Magpul PRS Lite

Rifle hovers at a fairly consistent 1moa accuracy. FGMM 168gr SMK BTHP seems to yeild best results.

Built to be a lightweight semi-auto hunter.

Attachments

• C479E157-F67E-488A-941B-C4D0ABF306D4.jpeg
    C479E157-F67E-488A-941B-C4D0ABF306D4.jpeg
    470.1 KB · Views: 98
  • EF256E1A-018E-4EF1-B2B4-B8CDE879182F.jpeg
    EF256E1A-018E-4EF1-B2B4-B8CDE879182F.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 104
There's relatively little standardization in big block gun components compared to that we enjoy in small block guns. Sometimes you end up with a combination that works. Sometimes you do not.

I've used KAC big block rails with SR-25/DPMS pattern receivers.

IMG_3193.jpg

Some KAC stuff doesn't even work with other KAC stuff. I've had to hone out KAC URX barrel nuts - just to get them to fit over first generation KAC SR-25 barrels.

The KAC rails are the best for 308 imho, too bad availability and cost suck.

snip...

Parts: VLTOR RE A5 buffer, Springco Green spring, A5-H3 or 4 Buffer. PRI Big Latch gasbuster CH, JP LoMass BCG, SLR Sentry 7 AGB. Timney SS 3.5lb straight bow trigger.

Probably going to pick up a Rainier Ultra Match 16.308W barrel, Radian selector lever, PWS Ratchet Castle nut.
I don't know if the part I bolded in your post is a mis-type, but the A5 length buffers (4.2") won't work in a large frame.
Edit: A5 buffers actually will work, but it requires a very rare receiver extension.

It’s about trigger reset with a large frame. Press, break, FREEZE, when it all stops moving you reset the trigger then

Just freeze in place let the rifle work and then reset

It’s about trigger reset with a large frame. Press, break, FREEZE, when it all stops moving you reset the trigger then

Just freeze in place let the rifle work and then reset
Thanks, hopefully the rifle is built soon enough and I can get to practicing.

Pictures posted of previously mentioned build.

Attachments

• 8F675920-2BF8-4E09-A7C6-3582F3A13372.jpeg
    8F675920-2BF8-4E09-A7C6-3582F3A13372.jpeg
    470.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 2BB9416D-D476-4851-AC40-19D426FFF20E.jpeg
    2BB9416D-D476-4851-AC40-19D426FFF20E.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: mwd92870
1673206515641.jpeg

Aero precision m5 upper/ lower/ bcg/ cantilever scope mount/ upper lower parts, ballistic advantage 18” heavy barrel, breek arms comp / charging handle, magpul grip/ foregrip, Wilson combat hand guard/ gas gas block/ gas tube, Harris bipod, magpul arca rail, krg arca adaptor, Timney ar10 trigger, kns pins, Seekins butt stock/ buffer spring/ buffer, primary arms 4-16x44 scope. My budget 308 build! Shoots nice and soft.